Well it finally happened: a Chinese car to be sold in the US- Mtbr.com
    XC iconoclast

Well it finally happened: a Chinese car to be sold in the US

Would You Buy the Vantas, a Chinese SUV "Assembled" in America?

SUV to be exact, but that's the trend now, of course. Because it's a 4-cylinder and only has around 200 horsepower, I'm thinking it will start out a little less than $20,000. Let's hope the electrical system works and doesn't fry when it starts raining, like the old Volkswagen Rabbits of the 80's.

By the way, the supplier Chery in China, anyone guess how they got their name? Several years ago General Motors made a deal with a major Chinese automaker there to share parts and design diagrams with them for a hefty fee, as long as the Chinese promised not to infringe on any GM brand's copyright. As in don't build a Corvette, call it a Corvette, and then try to sell it to other countries, or even in China itself. You need to tell other countries this, or they will do exactly that and start building knockoffs of American brands (I mean look at all the mountain bike component replicas). So the Chinese said OK, we don't do that. A few months later, one of the GM reps in China was walking down the street in Beijing past a car and did a double-take. He walked backwards to the back of the car, looked again. It said Chery, with the r curved back in the shape of a v. As in Chevy. As in short for Chevrolet, GM's largest brand. LOL. Hey, you have to hand it to them. They didn't copy Chevy outright, they just make it look like a Chevy. Perfectly fine, right? I'm sure GM is just thrilled they now have licensing to sell in the US after what happened.

High Desert MTBer
    History repeats itself constantly. The Japanese did it with cars and bikes. Back in the UK, the native car and bike industries died off because they simply could not compete, and did not have the resources to innovate at the same pace. I didn't mind too much at the time, standing on the side of a freezing windswept country road with a broken down BSA watching nice reliable Hondas and Yamahas cruise by did nothing for my brand loyalty...
    It's all Here. Now.

One ring to mash them all
    Corollavirus
    Research, learn, and grow. Agree or disagree with evidence and analysis.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Corollavirus
    So THAT'S how the Chicoms are going to infiltrate our Homeland with the pestilence!
    Although, the first case did just pop up in San Diego......

mtbr member
    Well, at least it has good styling.

EAT MORE GRIME
    ^lol looks like every other generic bar-of-soap SUV

all indistinguishable.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    So THAT'S how the Chicoms are going to infiltrate our Homeland with the pestilence!
    Not sure about 'first'. My wife just read that one of the traits is uncontrolled violent shivers and shakes. When I was sick after thanksgiving, the first thing I had was exactly that. For 3 weeks I was alternating violent shakes and shivers and super high fever. The docs could only offer "viral syndrome" as a diagnosis, and even considered testing for malaria. Strange thing was, I had been in China not long before I got sick...

...disclaimer (as the men in Hazmats knock at my door) : It wasn't me!!! Honest!
    It's all Here. Now.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ^lol looks like every other jacked up station wagon with big wheels/tires

all indistinguishable.
    fify
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

be1
    the beat goes on
    Haahah
    You just can't beat the person who never gives up. - B.Ruth

mtbr member
    The first US case was in Everett, WA.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    A Chinese car to be sold in the US.
    I think this is ridiculous. It's an insult to national pride, a clear lowering of standards and smacks of desperation. I don't think the Americans will like it either.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I think this is ridiculous. It's an insult to national pride, a clear lowering of standards and smacks of desperation. I don't think the Americans will like it either.
    Ah! I've missed you Herr Pig!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Ah! I've missed you Herr Pig!
    Not been on a bicycle for months, that's why I've not been here. Crash put me up on bricks for a while then winter and laziness kicked in :0(

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Imports (assembled in the U.S.) sell well here. Nothing wrong with another country selling us their car, just like we sell cars worldwide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    ...just like we sell cars worldwide.
    You do? Is this use of the term 'worldwide' a bit like your 'Worldseries' ?

High Desert MTBer
    Not been on a bicycle for months, that's why I've not been here. Crash put me up on bricks for a while then winter and laziness kicked in :0(
    I had an enforced break too, my chemo-depressed old bones took a major hit from a very nasty virus, then a double whammy from a gut infection, a 30 pound weight loss, and several weeks off the bike. Then the Arizona winter kicked in, (temps in the 50s), and it has taken a while to get back up to speed. Not sure how up to speed I may get now! Maybe I'll invest in a Chinese car company, make a killing, give up my job and have more time to ride!!!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by AVL-MTB View Post
    Imports (assembled in the U.S.) sell well here. Nothing wrong with another country selling us their car, just like we sell cars worldwide.
    I know they tried to sell Hummers in Beirut, but we broke the demo on the off road course, and the dealer blew his brains out. Can you still buy Jeeps in the UK? They used to import them from germany and switch the driver side...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I know they tried to sell Hummers in Beirut, but we broke the demo on the off road course, and the dealer blew his brains out. Can you still buy Jeeps in the UK? They used to import them from germany and switch the driver side...
    Man, that's what I'd call taking it personally, eh RC?

High Desert MTBer
    Man, that's what I'd call taking it personally, eh RC?
    Not sure the 2 things were related, the later happened a day or two later, and he was the kind of guy to mess about dangerously with guns. He did have a couple of automatic weapons in his own truck. After all, they had only just finished a decade or two of shooting up everything that moved.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I had an enforced break too...
    I'd say yours was a real one! Mine wasn't enforced, it was laziness :0( OK, I had a fall and it did put me out of the game for maybe a month but after that I was just plain lazy. It's cold and wet and staying in the warm is so much easier.

But the next opportunity I get I'll be back on a bike and I'll be thinking of you when I do it. Keep well, keep riding and God bless you.

mtbr member
    Can you still buy Jeeps in the UK?
    Yes you can. Not many people buy them but you do see the odd few plodding around. I know a guy who has one.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I just ordered one! Choose chow mein exterior color and cremeofsomeyoungguy leather interior color.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    I just ordered one! Choose chow mein exterior color and cremeofsomeyoungguy leather interior color.
    Did you go with steering column A or steering column B?
    Research, learn, and grow. Agree or disagree with evidence and analysis.

Real eyes realize real lies.

All fat, all the time.
    Import car companies building and selling in the us? Hmm never heard of it...lol

Cycologist
    Cool! I'm needing to trade in my Yugo for a new ride and was trying to decide what to get.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Duck Fonald
    Too bad it's not electric. Then we could send the depleted batteries to an impoverished country and they would recycle them in a totally ecological fashion.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

High Desert MTBer
    Updated Flintstones car is the only way forward. No emissions, no recycling woes, you just have to feed and house the Chinese you hire to wind it up.

Well it finally happened: a Chinese car to be sold in the US-windupcar-16x9-1024x576.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.