Vehicle Tires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Vehicle Tires

Pipe Dreamer

Vehicle Tires

As mountain bikers we love to geek out on our bike tires, so how about our car/truck/SUV tires?

I'm in the market for some new Taco meats, and am wondering about some of the lesser name brands that go for about half the well known ones, are they just as good? Costco has a sale on Michelin and their tires will run me about $700/installed for a set of Defender LTX M/S right now. I was looking at some of what Walmart has to offer (even tho their tire dept is closed rn) and came across this good looking Atturo Trail Blade A/T at under $400 for all four and wonder if I'm just paying extra for the Michelin brand name? Not sure how much they'd be to install at another shop?

I have been using Firestone Complete Auto for years and usually just get what they have, which was recently the Firestone Destination LEs that I'm not too crazy about. I had been running Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts for many years on my 4X4, now I'm buying the cheaper highway tires since I'm now 2wd. Really don't want another set of Firestones, so I think it's either Costco Michelins or having Firestone install some cheaper tires from somewhere else.

TLDR: what light truck tires should I get for my 1st gen Tacoma Prerunner, and what tires do you like in general? Use this thread for any and all automotive tire discussions as well.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm a big fan of BF Goodrich AT's.

since 4/10/2009
    I've been halfway geeking on truck tires recently. seems like if fuel economy is a priority, tire weight should be a major factor in your decisions.

I've been buying tires for awhile from TireRack, and they've got pretty good reviews of different tires. They also do a pretty good job of listing tire weights.

I've been trying to buy tires that rate well for my uses on the vehicle I've got. So far, TireRack's ratings have done a pretty good job of helping me find tires.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I'm a big fan of BF Goodrich AT's.
    Sorta the Minion of the truck world, eh?

I've always heard they were 'soft' and never tried them.

All fat, all the time.
    The ko2's wear like iron, can easily get 70-80k on the work truck.
    They are not cheap though.

I've gone with Falken tires the past 2 times on cars, not sure if they have truck tires but I'm impressed with the price and quality.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I've been halfway geeking on truck tires recently. seems like if fuel economy is a priority, tire weight should be a major factor in your decisions.

I've been buying tires for awhile from TireRack, and they've got pretty good reviews of different tires. They also do a pretty good job of listing tire weights.

I've been trying to buy tires that rate well for my uses on the vehicle I've got. So far, TireRack's ratings have done a pretty good job of helping me find tires.
    Looks like they do have some helpful info, but prices seem comparable to most places if not a tad higher.

I drive pretty aggressively, so not sure if weight weenie tires are where it's at for me.

mtbr member
    I bought new tires for my truck in December. It came down to the Falken Wild Peak and Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT.
    I decided on the Coopers as they were 10lbs lighter per tire, which should be better for fuel economy, and I've been very happy with them. Very quiet on the road, very good Off Road, and they have a great look to them. The price was very good too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Looks like they do have some helpful info, but prices seem comparable to most places if not a tad higher.

I drive pretty aggressively, so not sure if weight weenie tires are where it's at for me.
    Frankly, the biggest advantages to TireRack that I see are the reviews and selection. A LOT of tire shops use them as their suppliers, anyway, which is why the prices don't vary much.

If price is your biggest consideration, then you're going to be playing the odds on whether you get shit tires or not. As it is with anything.

The OEM tires on my truck are Hankook Dynapro AT-m. I don't have a whole lot of miles on them at this point to really say much one way or the other. The truck does ride nice and quiet, IMO. And I can get well over 27mpg on the highway. Maybe higher if I am super easy on the gas.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iím in the market for tires on my Taco as well Korn. Iím coming off running Wrangler Dura Tracs. Great tires in the grip department but not so much in the longevity wear miles. I had my heart set on the BFG KOí2ís until I saw and read up on the Yokohama Geolander MT G003.

Yokohama got out of the all terrain tire biz years ago. Re-entered with a bang in recent years. These tires have the look, lengthy wear miles and quiet ride we all want in an all terrain tire. At least thatís what the reviews say. After seeing a Taco like mine with a set I was all over the Internet gathering up reviews on them. Sounds solid to me, Iíll be getting a set in the next couple of weeks.

Iíve had Yokohama Geolander tires in the past and was wayyyyy happy with them. But recently wanting a more aggressive tire I opted for other brands. Iím so happy to see they came back out with this type of tire.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-m-t-g003

Vehicle Tires-d3a8bb87-cf14-4e17-890b-663c9451a7e5.jpg
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-25-2020 at 03:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Iím in the market for tires on my Taco as well Korn. Iím coming off running Wrangler Dura Tracs. Great tires in the grip department but not so much in the longevity wear miles. I had my heart set in the BFG KOí2ís until I saw and read up on the Yokohama Geolander MT G003.

Yokohama got out of the all terrain tire biz years ago. Re-entered with a bang in recent years. These tires have the look, lengthy wear miles and quiet ride we all want in an all terrain tire. At least thatís what the reviews say. After seeing a Taco like mine with a set I was all over the Internet gathering up reviews on them. Sounds solid to me, Iíll be getting a set in the next couple of weeks.

Iíve had Yokohama Geolander tires in the past and was wayyyyy happy with them. But recently wanting a more aggressive tire I opted for other brands. Iím so happy to see they came back out with this type of tire.

https://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/geolandar-m-t-g003

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3A8BB87-CF14-4E17-890B-663C9451A7E5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	150.7 KB 
ID:	1335999
    Those look very aggressive to be quiet... But you never know I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Those look very aggressive to be quiet... But you never know I guess

Thatís what my initial take on them was until I read the reviews.

Edit: After a re-read of the reviews they get a mixed batch of some saying they are pretty quiet to some saying they are loud.

Back on the fence again I sit.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'm running 18" Michelin LTX in the back for lower rolling resistance and 20" General Grabber APT3 knobbies in the front for better traction. Long live the mullett.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Duck Fonald

I've bought wheels (not tires) from Tire Rack, and was really happy with how it turned out. I like being able to see how they look on the vehicle before I buy.

I plan on buying my next set of car tires from them. Seems as thought they'll be able to give me good advice, whereas the local tire shops (America's Tires, Les Schwab) are always busy and might not have time (or knowledge) to give me good service and counsel.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

Duck Fonald
    Thatís what my initial take on them was until I read the reviews.

Edit: After a re-read of the reviews they get a mixed batch of some saying they are pretty quiet to some saying they are loud.

Back on the fence again I sit.
    That may work in your favor- it will confuse the witnesses.

1st witness: "Your Honor, he drove a truck that had really loud tires."

2nd witness: "I was impressed at how quiet his tires were, Your Honor."

(An audible gasp ripples through the courtroom.)

Judge: "Case dismissed. I never thought I'd ever say these words, but you're free to go, Mr. Junkie."
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

mtbr member
    Iím in the market for tires on my Taco as well Korn. Iím coming off running Wrangler Dura Tracs. Great tires in the grip department but not so much in the longevity wear miles. I had my heart set on the BFG KOí2ís until I saw and read up on the Yokohama Geolander MT G003.
    I've had Duratracs on 3 Jeeps so far. Great, aggressive all terrain tire. Good in the mud; GREAT in the snow! I plan to put some on the 4Runner next year.
    Never had an issue with tire wear/longevity. Typically, I'd get about 40,000 miles, then I'd sell 'em to some kid on Craigslist.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I've bought wheels (not tires) from Tire Rack, and was really happy with how it turned out. I like being able to see how they look on the vehicle before I buy.

I plan on buying my next set of car tires from them. Seems as thought they'll be able to give me good advice, whereas the local tire shops (America's Tires, Les Schwab) are always busy and might not have time (or knowledge) to give me good service and counsel.
    Have you ever checked out DiscoutTireDirect? After shipping and taxes, they had better pricing than Tire Rack. Or at least, they used to...

Plus, if you bought wheels and tires from them, they'd mount/balance them for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    That may work in your favor- it will confuse the witnesses.

1st witness: "Your Honor, he drove a truck that had really loud tires."

2nd witness: "I was impressed at how quiet his tires were, Your Honor."

(An audible gasp ripples through the courtroom.)

Judge: "Case dismissed. I never thought I'd ever say these words, but you're free to go, Mr. Junkie."
    🤔...

Quote Originally Posted by Coal-Cracker View Post
    I've had Duratracs on 3 Jeeps so far. Great, aggressive all terrain tire. Good in the mud; GREAT in the snow! I plan to put some on the 4Runner next year.
    Never had an issue with tire wear/longevity. Typically, I'd get about 40,000 miles, then I'd sell 'em to some kid on Craigslist.

Not sure the miles Iíve put on my current Duratraks, Iíll look into that later. Just seems like theyíve worn out quicker than Iím used to. I agree, great in the snow / mud and loose gravel. Good looking aggressive tire. They get loud about half way through their life span even after annual rotations. I went 4 wheeling yesterday in muddy conditions on toasted Duratracs and they still worked great.

Pipe Dreamer
    Frankly, the biggest advantages to TireRack that I see are the reviews and selection. A LOT of tire shops use them as their suppliers, anyway, which is why the prices don't vary much.

If price is your biggest consideration, then you're going to be playing the odds on whether you get shit tires or not. As it is with anything.

The OEM tires on my truck are Hankook Dynapro AT-m. I don't have a whole lot of miles on them at this point to really say much one way or the other. The truck does ride nice and quiet, IMO. And I can get well over 27mpg on the highway. Maybe higher if I am super easy on the gas.
    I'm looking for the whole package, not just low price. I want good price, good quality, good ride, good everything, is that too much to ask? Just like finding bike parts that are light, cheap, and strong, right? I had been running On-One tires that were made by Maxxis that I thought were great for around $35 a piece, would love to find something like that in the auto tire world.

I've been loyal to Firestone Auto for years, and it wasn't because they have the best prices, they've always taken care of me and they've continued to honor my lifetime alignment even tho the truck I originally had that on has been replaced by a different truck; same model, same year, and license plate, they continue to do it for me. I'm just not wanting another set of Firestones, I think I can do better, whether or not I buy a top name brand or something lesser known.

I had seen a tire at Walmart that was way cheaper than their others, think it was a Goodyear that was made with kevlar or something, and IIRC it was an exclusive, can't find it now and don't remember how much it was, but I do remember reading the reviews and they were mostly positive. I think one of the only negatives was that it was kinda noisy.

Pipe Dreamer
    Unless you have a lifted Bro-dozer those Geolanders are going to look out of place on a Tacoma, way overkill if you ask me. Plus there's no way those would be quiet.

If anything I'm moving in the opposite direction, less aggressive tread and more gas savings. This may even be one of the last sets of tires I buy for the truck since I'd like to get a sports wagon.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Back when I was an automotive enthusiast (as in, back before my Prius days) I geeked out on tires. I understood every marking on the tire (treadwear rating, speed rating, aspect ratio, etc.) and often friends and family would consult me for advice on buying tires.

In regard to off-road tires, be sure you take your jackedup big boss man truck off road, otherwise it looks super redneck douchey wearing those tires down on the roads.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    I've always run BFG A/T on anything off road with exception to the bigger tires and military trucks, same as my FIL. They don't make BFG in 42" tires. I have interco tires on the big stuff. The big tires ride like crap no matter what you do. I have a pound of balance beads in those tires and they still suck. But they are bias ply and I can air them down to 10psi

Best tires out there are Michelin but your going to pay for them. And BFG is owned by Michelin.

A good friend does very high-end wheels and tires. He will tell it to you straight on good and bad tires. I would not go cheap Walmart tires on anything I have. I had him do my little car but my bronco I go to discount tire for their warranty because I destroy tires on that truck. Lots of slate around where I go and I slice sidewalls.

Unless you have a lifted Bro-dozer those Geolanders are going to look out of place on a Tacoma, way overkill if you ask me. Plus there's no way those would be quiet.

If anything I'm moving in the opposite direction, less aggressive tread and more gas savings. This may even be one of the last sets of tires I buy for the truck since I'd like to get a sports wagon.
    You think!?!
    I donít think they are much more aggressive than the Wrangler Duratracs which Iíve been running for a couple of years. I get positive compliments all the time on that truck with those tires on it. Plus 80% of the Tacos running around Colorado run aggressive tires even with stock suspension.

I never knew how much I needed them until I put a set on. Street tires donít cut it around here in the snow and if you do any off roading.

Vehicle Tires-12295fe8-1fa6-488b-804b-fd7f02e6c33e.jpg

Vehicle Tires-17a1caa9-a848-445d-8f6c-e871f9c57274.jpg

Vehicle Tires-4a6cefe9-51dc-42f7-a6fd-004f8dac682e.jpg

My Tacoma with Wrangler Duratracs 265 R70 17.
    Largest size on stock rims without any rubbing.
    Name:  21AE1206-A244-416E-B586-0402135DE204.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  90.3 KB

But I understand you want more of a street tire. Iíll never go back to tires like that after running the Wrangler Duratracs. The three above are the three on my short list.

mtbr member
    Skip the geolanders. If you drive in snow and wet the duratrac are your best bet. They have the best siping. M/T tires don't do well in wet and snow unless it's thick mud.

Duck Fonald
    Have you ever checked out DiscoutTireDirect? After shipping and taxes, they had better pricing than Tire Rack. Or at least, they used to...

Plus, if you bought wheels and tires from them, they'd mount/balance them for free.

Haven't checked them out, but will, thanks.
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

Pipe Dreamer
    But I understand you want more of a street tire. Iíll never go back to tires like that after running the Wrangler Duratracs. The three above are the three on my short list.
    I almost never go offroading anymore, and my truck is basically a work truck at this point. We see snow here a handful of days and I can usually avoid it by staring home or drive in it just fine. I'm all about saving the extra cash vs having extra grip and looks. When I lived in Tahoe I did just fine with the Revos, think I had four or five sets of them over many years, never had any problems with them on dirt either, I went off road whenever possible!

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I've always run BFG A/T on anything off road with exception to the bigger tires and military trucks, same as my FIL. They don't make BFG in 42" tires. I have interco tires on the big stuff. The big tires ride like crap no matter what you do. I have a pound of balance beads in those tires and they still suck. But they are bias ply and I can air them down to 10psi

Best tires out there are Michelin but your going to pay for them. And BFG is owned by Michelin.

A good friend does very high-end wheels and tires. He will tell it to you straight on good and bad tires. I would not go cheap Walmart tires on anything I have. I had him do my little car but my bronco I go to discount tire for their warranty because I destroy tires on that truck. Lots of slate around where I go and I slice sidewalls.
    Feel free to post pictures of those big ol' tires, love seeing those big trucks! I don't know what's in my 4x4 future, was thinking of getting a 4Runner to go along with my Taco, same year and motor, just 4wd and lifted a little with some other goodies, but now since I want a wagon I may go in a different direction, maybe a Jeep, don't know.

Those Michelins are starting to look better, maybe it's best to spend the money on tires, they're pretty important!

Just checked my records: I got 156,334 miles so far on the Firestones I bought almost exactly 3yrs ago, not bad I guess. They got me for $900 and the Michelins at Costco would be a couple hundred less.

banned
    Apr 2010
    on my truck i run 10 ply duratracks, been a great tire.
    on my kia spectra daily runner, cheapest i can find.
    my wifes tundra has 35's on it and she just got the goodyear wranger(not duratrac) and she likes them, aggressive but not as loud as her cooper stt's.

light tires on a truck scare me when driving with a load or in rocky conditions, there are some places you don't want to skimp.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    06 Cummins 4x4 gets E series 10 ply remold blems from Treadwright. $72.50 shipped with 5% off sale today.
    https://www.treadwright.com/collecti...-warden-w2417e
    Blem is a cut mark in the outer tread block that you mount facing in.
    No shale can cut these offroad. No $1500 tow bills.
    Vehicle Tires-03_warden_front-left_4ce5428c-bc55-411e-b475-b33154ba3564_grande.jpg

Your bike sucks
    I'm about to try those Falken Wildpeak AT3W. People seem to like them - will be installed on weds. It's for a off-road camper Van project I just started.

On the Suburban, I have Goodyear Trailrunner AT in the heavier E load rating (I think it's 10 ply) and pleased with them. I had the Coopers in standard ply but flatted them 2X so these were their replacements. No regrets - solid tire but I suspect there are as good if not better choices out there.
    Working to stomp out redundancy, I repeat, working to stomp out redundancy.

2019 Patrol for sale

Just checked my records: I got 156,334 miles so far on the Firestones I bought almost exactly 3yrs ago, not bad I guess.
    Are those numbers correct?

Pipe Dreamer
    Are those numbers correct?
    *Edit: OK, you got me, that did seem a little high, math was off. Only 54,911 miles on the tires.

@ 1:07

Why would I lie?

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Mega View Post
    I'm about to try those Falken Wildpeak AT3W. People seem to like them - will be installed on weds. It's for a off-road camper Van project I just started.
    I was just talking with a friend and he suggested these, a little too aggressive for me but seem like a great tire from what I heard.

Why would I lie?
    You can say anything you like
    But you can't touch the merchandise
    She'll give you every penny's worth
    But it will cost you a dollar first
    You can step outside your little world
    You can talk to a pretty girl
    She's everything you dream about
    But don't fall in love

XC iconoclast
    I've got about 1-2 oil changes worth of tread left (2500 to 7500 miles) on my Hankook Ventus V-12 II's. Best tire I've had so far, about 30K on them so far. But those semi-slick Toyo Proxes, that will be next. Whoever will install them and not be afraid of a lawsuit lol. Hopefully I'll get 20,000 miles out of them if I'm lucky. I think they are $275 each, not too bad. I think the acceleration will be about 0.3 to 0.5 seconds quicker to 60 mph, and handling probably 0.04 to 0.05g's better, to maybe 0.95g, not great but with a coil-over shock kit I can probably get that up to 1.0g.

mtbr member
    Feel free to post pictures of those big ol' tires, love seeing those big trucks! I don't know what's in my 4x4 future, was thinking of getting a 4Runner to go along with my Taco, same year and motor, just 4wd and lifted a little with some other goodies, but now since I want a wagon I may go in a different direction, maybe a Jeep, don't know.
    Here are those big ol tires. they don't look all that big till you have to move them.
    Vehicle Tires-img_20181031_171143073_hdr.jpg

size comparison
    Name:  IMG_20181029_144518443_HDR.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  28.4 KB
    Vehicle Tires-img_20200526_075027638_hdr.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^Nice, I love the contrast of everything with the shiny black rims.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I've never been a fan of any BFG tire, but have heard good things about the KM3s.

I've had great luck with Yokohamas on my 'Burb and my wife's old ML but I wanted something different for my old FJLV. I wanted an aggressive "Mud" look and looked at the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros and the General Grabber X3s. I get them at or very near wholesale so the prices are very similar. After reading the reviews of guys with varying FJ setups, I ordered the General Grabbers.

They should be in tomorrow, but I need to get the tires dismounted from my wheels. Then the wheels need to be sand blasted and powder coated before I go back on with the new tires. I may be a couple weeks out before I can post pics.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    I've never been a fan of any BFG tire, but have heard good things about the KM3s.

I've had great luck with Yokohamas on my 'Burb and my wife's old ML but I wanted something different for my old FJLV. I wanted an aggressive "Mud" look and looked at the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros and the General Grabber X3s. I get them at or very near wholesale so the prices are very similar. After reading the reviews of guys with varying FJ setups, I ordered the General Grabbers.

They should be in tomorrow, but I need to get the tires dismounted from my wheels. Then the wheels need to be sand blasted and powder coated before I go back on with the new tires. I may be a couple weeks out before I can post pics.
    General Grabber, another option Iíll be looking into. I looked at the Pro Comps, wow! Big bucks for those.

mtbr member

I had Duratracs on my last truck. They were loud on the highway, but pretty good off-road. In the snow, they would work great unless things got deep, then they'd dig me down to the frame. I think I got about 40k too.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    General Grabber, another option Iíll be looking into. I looked at the Pro Comps, wow! Big bucks for those.
    I should've provided a link.

Generals: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

Coopers: Discoverer STT PRO: Truck Tire | Cooper Tire

Here are those big ol tires. they don't look all that big till you have to move them.

size comparison

Name:	IMG_20200526_075027638_HDR.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	224.5 KB 
ID:	1336379
    Can we discuss the position of that seat for a minute?

mtbr member

The General Grabbers look pretty good. I may consider those when I wear out the tires on my Taco. I wonder how they do in the snow?

Thankís Chuck.

Also Nitto makes some nice tires with a large design selection.

Korn, check out their ďhybridĒ design.

https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/

Vehicle Tires-bc040284-d8d5-4a06-ae2e-1dadab7444b8.jpg
    Vehicle Tires-5467bfdc-72ac-4328-ad9d-97e0790005a7.jpg

mtbr member
    Vehicle Tires-2bc2ebeb-31d0-44ea-9703-199a7f0fef1f.jpg

Iím currently running the BFGoodrich KM3s. Really happy with them. They have a high load rating and do great off-road. I have run the Cooper STT pros before and those were great too.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

Pipe Dreamer
    Korn, check out their ďhybridĒ design.
    Those are sick, brah!

mtbr member
    I used to run Buckshot mudders during hunting season for the woods and fields, and a much less aggressive, quieter hybrid Goodyear Wranglers the rest of the time. Had both sets mounted so I could swap Ďem out in short order with the floor jack and impact.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vehicle Tires-untitled-59.jpg  

Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

Those are sick, brah!
    Yep, now Iím leaning towards those once I have a chance to check out the reviews.

mtbr member
    Been really happy with Cooper AT's. The highway manners for an "all terrain tire" is the best I've ever experienced. I do wish they cleared mud better but airing them down (E rated=high pressure) allows them to deform and clear. Came off of Michelin LTX m+s and was afraid the more aggressive Cooper's would not do as well on the highway. To my surprise they ride nicer and make zero noise.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Meatbomb
    Just bought a new truck and it came with Goodyear Wrangler AT's, Look like nice tires. Quiet on the highway.

I use to run the BFG's until they switched the compound and I would only get 40K out of a set. I switched to Discount Tire's proprietary Pathfinder.... Good tires.

mtbr member
    Can we discuss the position of that seat for a minute?
    I was waiting for someone to say something.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I was waiting for someone to say something.
    It's a bike built for Uranus. 'Taint comfortable, I bet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Falken Wildpeaks. Still not super cheap but not nearly as pricey as the All-Terrains. Hankook Dynapros are also good. I currently have All-Terrains and while they look nice they're noisey and feel softer than the Wildpeaks I had.

mtbr member
    my FIL borrowed it to get out of the house for some exercise and put one of those giant lazyboy seats on there and he gave it back like that.

mtbr member
    was over at my buddy's tire shop picking up some tools. got tire questions? he has the answers
    Vehicle Tires-img_20200529_145014701.jpg

Pipe Dreamer
    If he's the guy who said Michelin is the best, then I'm good, lol!

Heavily leaning towards them anyway, the sale at Costco is gonna be hard to beat, and as long as I get to try something other than Firestone I'm good. Still haven't shopped around but not sure I need to.

If he's the guy who said Michelin is the best, then I'm good, lol!

Heavily leaning towards them anyway, the sale at Costco is gonna be hard to beat, and as long as I get to try something other than Firestone I'm good. Still haven't shopped around but not sure I need to.
    Michelinís are up there with the best for street tires, always have been. I thought you wanted a tire with a mix of street and aggressive. Iíll be getting the Nitto Ridge Grappler next week. A cross hybrid with nothing but good reviews.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 05-30-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Pipe Dreamer
    Michelinís are up there with the best for street tires, always have been. I thought you wanted a tire with a mix of street and aggressive. Iíll be getting the Nitto Grappler Ridgline next week. A cross hybrid with nothing but good reviews.
    I was curious if a beefier AT tire would be better for aggressive driving vs a HT, but quickly came to my senses.

If that tire Nitto is as good as it looks, Korn approves, broheim.

I was curious if a beefier AT tire would be better for aggressive driving vs a HT, but quickly came to my senses.

If that tire Nitto is as good as it looks, Korn approves, broheim.
    The reviews are very high on that one. Iíve checked out a couple vehicles with them since and am stoked at the visuals. If you go Michelinís you canít go wrong for longevity and street handling.

The Nitto has an interesting feature, it comes with two sidewalls. You can go the aggressive sidewall out or the more conservative side out.

Pipe Dreamer
    A long time ago when I ran black rims (aka no hubcaps), way before they were cool, I'd request the white lettering out.

A long time ago when I ran black rims (aka no hubcaps), way before they were cool, I'd request the white lettering out.
    Rule of thumb: White letters in on darker colored vehicles. Vice versa for lighter colored vehicles. I personally like white letters in on all colored vehicles.

Pipe Dreamer
    This is probably my favorite car, a lot of memories, was like a troop transporter, I/we went everywhere in this thing!

Probably mid-90s, I can't remember seeing anyone else with black rims at the time. I had a 5-lug single cab Taco next and that had w/lettering out IIRC. This was out by Mammoth on fire/logging roads.

mtbr member
    Was that the AWD Honda with 4low?

I run white letters out on my white bronco. It keeps up with the snow cammo theme.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    We have the Cooper AT3 on the dually and the little more aggressive Coopers on the 4 runner and have been really happy with them. Wear has been great and there reasonably quiet on the road.

SPECIALizED
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Falken Wildpeaks. Still not super cheap but not nearly as pricey as the All-Terrains. Hankook Dynapros are also good. I currently have All-Terrains and while they look nice they're noisey and feel softer than the Wildpeaks I had.
    Just put a set of those on the wife's Tundra. I had a set on my Titan that lasted well over 50k miles.

since 4/10/2009
    Michelinís are up there with the best for street tires, always have been. I thought you wanted a tire with a mix of street and aggressive. Iíll be getting the Nitto Grappler Ridgline next week. A cross hybrid with nothing but good reviews.
    you mean the Ridge Grappler? I've looked at the various Nitto truck tires, and they look pretty good. Considering my driving, I mostly just want some extra durability/wear life on gravel forest roads while keeping tire weight down (and fuel economy up). I won't be doing any notable off-roading. I'm kinda liking the Terra Grapplers in that regard.

mtbr member
    I'm on my second set of Michelin LTX AT2 tires on a stock half-ton Chevy 4WD. First set went 72k miles and hadn't quite reached wear bars yet. 'Long life on gravel' shows to be a feature, but I don't know about comparative weights to other similar tires. I suspect they may run a bit heavy. Fuel mileage is still right at what the window sticker numbers were when truck was new. Terrain is mostly flat / non-mountainous, close to sea level. 210k total miles on vehicle.

I lucked in to a 10% rebate period at Discount Tire in early March. Had previously had a go-to 'tire guy' at Sears that always gave excellent service, but he left and then Sears went belly-up.

Pipe Dreamer
    Was that the AWD Honda with 4low?

I run white letters out on my white bronco. It keeps up with the snow cammo theme.
    It had the Real Time AWD, can't remember if it had 4low but I'm guessing it did, I probably hardly used it since the car did so well in snow.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    I'm on my second set of Michelin LTX AT2 tires on a stock half-ton Chevy 4WD. First set went 72k miles and hadn't quite reached wear bars yet. 'Long life on gravel' shows to be a feature, but I don't know about comparative weights to other similar tires. I suspect they may run a bit heavy. Fuel mileage is still right at what the window sticker numbers were when truck was new. Terrain is mostly flat / non-mountainous, close to sea level. 210k total miles on vehicle.

I lucked in to a 10% rebate period at Discount Tire in early March. Had previously had a go-to 'tire guy' at Sears that always gave excellent service, but he left and then Sears went belly-up.
    That one doesn't appear to come in the size I'd need (265/60R18). Looks like it comes in a couple variants, one being several lbs heavier.

you mean the Ridge Grappler? I've looked at the various Nitto truck tires, and they look pretty good. Considering my driving, I mostly just want some extra durability/wear life on gravel forest roads while keeping tire weight down (and fuel economy up). I won't be doing any notable off-roading. I'm kinda liking the Terra Grapplers in that regard.
    Yes, the Terra Ridge Grappler. Itís a hybrid between off road and road. All their tires look great and have good reviews. This particular one gets top reviews.

Pipe Dreamer
    I looked at TireRack and found where the weights were listed. I compared my Firestone Destination LE to the Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the Michelins were a pound lighter, good enough for me! Less rotational weight!

No known cure
    I think it depends on where you live and weather conditions. For instance, BFG ATs are nice for the trails here, but wear quickly if you drive up and down the mountain daily and suck in snow until the plow comes by. Then they're nice. I go with a hybrid AT/MT on my Rubicon.

On the Audi I have two sets of wheels. Performance and true snow tires.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    I guess its like bike tires...buy for the conditions on where you drive. For a commuter car...I just use some pretty basic tires that's fairly inexpensive. I usually find something with some decent treadwear. There isn't much rain in So Cal...so I don't worry too much about driving in the wet. I'm trying to wear out the stock tires that came with my GTI. I think I'm going with some Firestone Indy 500's for the new set...after upgrading the factory intercooler.

No good in rock gardens..
    Currently running these.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire

Very happy.

Highway miles, dirt roads and mixed dry terrain.

Quiet on the blacktop, very good on dirt roads and mixed dry terrain.
    Less isn't MOAR

Duck Fonald
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Currently running these.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/lig...peaka/t3w-tire

Very happy.

Highway miles, dirt roads and mixed dry terrain.

Quiet on the blacktop, very good on dirt roads and mixed dry terrain.
    Hey! Missed you and your avatar- where you been?
    "Nobody likes me."

DJT

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I like the Falkens as well.

Well, my General Grabber x3 order was placed but only three could be sourced quickly. I reordered the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros for only $20/tire more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The latest stupid trend on the jacked up mall crawlers i see around here is lo-pro ďmud terrainĒ tires stretched on super wide large diameter bling rims. All kinds of wrong with that!
    My Landcruiser has not rolled in a while, the 33x9.5 BFG MTs are long rotted and flat.
    On my for fun street car, Bridgstone RE71Rís. Basically the best street tire short of going into racing compound tires. It made the car feel like a totally different car! Theyre noisy as F though, youd swear youve got MTs on your car!

Quote Originally Posted by Taroroot View Post
    The latest stupid trend on the jacked up mall crawlers i see around here is lo-pro ďmud terrainĒ tires stretched on super wide large diameter bling rims. All kinds of wrong with that!
    My Landcruiser has not rolled in a while, the 33x9.5 BFG MTs are long rotted and flat.
    On my for fun street car, Bridgstone RE71Rís. Basically the best street tire short of going into racing compound tires. It made the car feel like a totally different car! Theyre noisy as F though, youd swear youve got MTs on your car!
    Iím with you on that. Those low profile tires on a rig thatís meant to go off road is not just fugly it makes it worthless off road.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Korn, the simple truth is, you get what you pay for.

Michelin LTX M/S are the best, hands down. I have had good luck with BF Goodrich on trucks as well and they were a bit cheaper in price. I've also had a fair/good experience with General Tires. They were not as comfy as the aforementioned two brands but they wore slowly.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    The coopers came in quick.

Gonna put the FJ on (not Harbor Fright) jack stands this afternoon and get the wheels off. Then, get 'em down to the powder coater.

Check 'em out...

Vehicle Tires-stt_pros.jpg

Also, check out the Contis on the Unimog in the background.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I've had a set of Cooper ATP tires on the last truck (Canyon). I enjoyed them. Good for highway, really quick. Good traction. Lasted a while.
    Maybe a bit more expensive than you wanted to pay, check the cost against what you're leaning towards.
    They do fine if you need to get off road at all, unless you're talking about getting into a situation your tires must save you from.

I have Michelin on my truck now, came with it when bought the truck used. It's a highway tire, but they are quiet and ride nicely on a full size pickup.

Stick with load range C or D. Tires that are e-rated are heavy and ride more harshly than C and D tires. You don't need that much tire for a what you are driving, unless you just want it.

Falken makes the Wildpeak which gets amazing kudos on the truck forums, just need to be careful with sizing as many of them come e-rated only.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Michelin LTX M/S are the best, hands down.
    I ordered them last week and they went on today.

I ordered them last week and they went on today.
    Congrats! No photos?

The coopers came in quick.

Gonna put the FJ on (not Harbor Fright) jack stands this afternoon and get the wheels off. Then, get 'em down to the powder coater.

Check 'em out...

Name:	STT_Pros.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	1338693

Also, check out the Contis on the Unimog in the background.
    Some aggressive tread there, should look awesome.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Michelin are sweet tires. Every single time I have put them on a vehicle I know I was on a far superior tire right away. And those defenders have a really good range that they work in. I have driven them in some nasty snowy condition and been fairly happy with how they handled.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Some aggressive tread there, should look awesome.
    Honestly, when done this thing will possibly be "too nice" to really wheel in a place where I'll need this aggressive of a tire. It really is an overall look I'm going for with the FJ.

That being said, it'll be pretty capable. I mean, it's an FJ afterall.

Honestly, when done this thing will possibly be "too nice" to really wheel in a place where I'll need this aggressive of a tire. It really is an overall look I'm going for with the FJ.

That being said, it'll be pretty capable. I mean, it's an FJ afterall.
    Iím picturing it with those tires and Iím smiling.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Actually, the KO2 does not wear that well, when mine didnít even make it halfway to the warranty rating, Discount Tire told me they were doing a lot of warranties on the tire due to fast wearing; now my tire size is no longer mileage warranteed.

I got good wear from my Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack, but theyíre pricey.

I will admit that, though they are fast wearing, the BFG TA is the best handling, quietest, and stickiest on ice of all the tires Iíve run.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The ko2's wear like iron, can easily get 70-80k on the work truck.
    They are not cheap though.

I've gone with Falken tires the past 2 times on cars, not sure if they have truck tires but I'm impressed with the price and quality.

GG Megatrail (Frameset for sale)
    GG Trail Pistola 27+/29 (speedy)
    RSD Middlechild 27+ (punky)
    Pivot Shuttle 27.5 (wifeys)

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    On my '00 2500 'Burb, I've run Michelins (they were new-ish on it when I got it with 46K mi. on the truck). When the Michelins wore out (90k mi.?), I ran Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors til around 130K mi. and replaced them with Yokohama Geolanders. Ran the Yokos til 175k mi. and replaced with another set of Yokos.

For me, all of those brands ran about the same in terms of wear. I can say the most comfortable tires on the highway were the Michelins. Honestly though, I was happy with all of them.

mtbr member
    ^That's more or less my take with minor subtleties between high end tires I've run. Though with my current Cooper's I am becoming a bit of a fanboy.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^That's more or less my take with minor subtleties between high end tires I've run. Though with my current Cooper's I am becoming a bit of a fanboy.

My buddy swears by the Coopers and tried to talk me into them for my 'Burb. I am going with the Coopers on my FJ, but as stated, for a slightly different reason.

Now, the wait for my wheels. I need to be patient.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Actually, the KO2 does not wear that well, when mine didnít even make it halfway to the warranty rating, Discount Tire told me they were doing a lot of warranties on the tire due to fast wearing; now my tire size is no longer mileage warranteed.

I got good wear from my Goodyear Wrangler Duratrack, but theyíre pricey.

I will admit that, though they are fast wearing, the BFG TA is the best handling, quietest, and stickiest on ice of all the tires Iíve run.
    Who knows maybe they changed the rubber over the past year. But I've been using original ko's as far back as 2000, and the ko2 for the past 5 or so.
    Never had a set wear out before 70k.

1/2 ton 4x4 loaded with tools everyday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On Tire Rack, know that some dealers are resellers for them. For example, they are my Subaru franchise's tire sales site. For a few $ more via the dealer you get life time rotation and flat tire fix at pretty much Tire Rack pricing.

Whether or not you buy from Tire Rack, they have a lot of crowd sourced data to help make decisions. A review based on 5 or 12,000 peoples' experience. You can drill in for things like snow and ice performance. A good tire for the US south might not be a good tire for the north.

One thing for sure in addition to good tires, making road hazard and warranty claims has been better when it's been a top tier tire maker.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

beater
    I put Yokos on our Sierra 1500 based in part on this comparison:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=249

and this review:

https://expeditionportal.com/review-...andar-at-g015/

I wanted E rated tires for peace of mind on unmaintained USFS and ski hill roads, but recognize that most of my mileage will be on pavement. No need to go brodozer for that. They arenít terrible in the snow, but given that itís a truck weíll buy a set of studded Hakkas this fall for winter duty.

Finally pulled the trigger on some new skins. I went with the Nitto Ridge Grappler - 265/70/17. Same size as the Wrangler Dura Tracs they replaced. I had them do an alignment and front rotors and pads as well. Drives like a new truck. Very quiet tire due to them being a hybrid design. So far very happy with my choice.

Vehicle Tires-05a2198e-3728-4b7d-9079-e2d901649950.jpg

Vehicle Tires-f866a676-ea69-4ef7-8ab4-c684a0b34fd4.jpg

Rabid Lana Fan
    Finally pulled the trigger on some new skins. I went with the Nitto Ridge Grappler - 265/70/17. Same size as the Wrangler Dura Tracs they replaced. I had them do an alignment and front rotors and pads as well. Drives like a new truck. Very quiet tire due to them being a hybrid design. So far very happy with my choice.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    ^They look very similar to older Dura Trac's and some others.
    Used to run Nitto's way back on my 16V Scirocco. Every bit as good if not better than Pirellis of the time at 1/4th the price.

A waste of time it is is
    Nice looking rubber DJ but shouldn't those pics be in the bad parker thread? Evenly spaced between the lines mate, not on them.

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Nice looking rubber DJ but shouldn't those pics be in the bad parker thread? Evenly spaced between the lines mate, not on them.
    6í social distancing.

A waste of time it is is
    or 6" depending on which space the next person is in.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^They look very similar to older Dura Trac's and some others.
    Used to run Nitto's way back on my 16V Scirocco. Every bit as good if not better than Pirellis of the time at 1/4th the price.

I looked hard and long at reviews on several brands and models. This one fit the bill to what I was looking for. Aggressive yet also a good road tire. Quiet and long mileage. I ran into a guy a couple of days ago in a brand new Tundra with Nittos but a different tire model, I picked his brain. He had a truck prior to his new one with some and said he put 60K on a set and they still had life left. Not sure how accurate that was but he immediately sprung for duplicates on his new truck.

Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    or 6" depending on which space the next person is in.
    silence!

A waste of time it is is
    That's what I'm getting from Wiggle, but yes sir.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Name:	05A2198E-3728-4B7D-9079-E2D901649950.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	1342067

Name:	F866A676-EA69-4EF7-8AB4-C684A0B34FD4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	1342069
    Very Nice!

mtbr member

Name:	05A2198E-3728-4B7D-9079-E2D901649950.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	355.8 KB 
ID:	1342067

Name:	F866A676-EA69-4EF7-8AB4-C684A0B34FD4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	1342069
    I had Duratracs on my old Tacoma and they were pretty loud. I replaced those with some Cooper A/Ts and was much quieter. I didn't do enough off-roading to make the Duratracs worthwhile to put up with the noise after they wore out.

EMBA Member
    I've been using Michelin tires for as long as I've been making the buy decision. Passenger cars, 1/2 t pickups, sport cars, performance SUV's, standard SUV's. Always gotten long life and been happy with the performance. Got a little spendy when I had the 2001 M5, but they were excellent in that application.

Thanks Chuck.

Curveball, I agree the Dura Tracs are very loud and they got worse with wear. These although new are surprisingly silent. I still have to fold up my roof rack in order to listen correctly as that rack while open makes some air noise. Pretty sure I donít hear any tire noise though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    I've been using Michelin tires for as long as I've been making the buy decision. Passenger cars, 1/2 t pickups, sport cars, performance SUV's, standard SUV's. Always gotten long life and been happy with the performance. Got a little spendy when I had the 2001 M5, but they were excellent in that application.
    My brother has a Ford Enonoline van he uses solely for long surfing trips to Mexico, so it sits most of the time. His tires although they looked new were outdated and rotting away, unsafe. He jumped on Craigslist this week and scored some brand new Michelin take offís for half the price of new. Some buy those vans and immediately start customizing them.

Life's a Garden, dig it!

Finally!

It took nearly 4 weeks to get the wheels powder coated, but I finally got them back and the tires mounted. Here they are, Cooper Discoverer STT Pro 31X10.50-15.

Vehicle Tires-pc_wheels.jpg

Vehicle Tires-stt_pros-mounted.jpg

Vehicle Tires-rear-cap.jpg

Vehicle Tires-45lv_tires.jpg
    Here she is with the new early style FJ Acorn hub caps

Getting closer

Happy 4th Everyone!

Sweet!

Happy 4th back.

I just realized Iíve put 840 miles on my new tires in 2.5 weeks. No complaints, quiet and smooth, great handling tires.