Give it a crank

User location field, use it

Is the geographic location field something new? I just noticed it today in a couple of others' posts and found in my account details page too so I filled it in. Can't figure out why I never noticed it, also wondered many times what part of this planet somebody lives in. Cool, now if everybody fills theirs it might even be useful.

fading away
    I just put a bunch of nonsense crap in my profile, since no stalkers deserve the truth!
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I can't find My Location.

Edit: Found myself.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It probably helps MTBR research their demographic, but it probably also helps with advertising, possibly some ad bots.

mtbr member
    While it might add to some add-bots IMO there's no escaping that, try as you may, and it could prove valuable at informing other members to help give a better response, as well as getting some fellow MTBRer's together in person.
    Round and round we go

My other ride is your mom
    "Wherever you go, there you are"

poser Administrator
    I think the my location has nothing to do with anything. The majority and i mean majority of people that use this forum have gibberish inserted into their profiles. For whatever reason, in a hurry to register, don't care or don't want to be tracked.

Fact is google adsense and other ad-bots read your IP and configure the ads to fit you. If you are subscribed to adsense which you are unless you opt out, it records where ever your IP goes and crafts the ads to match your browsing habits. Opt out and you will get the standard ads.

I finally opted out and my ads became very generic. Before i was getting ads for every website I had visited in the preceding week. Scared me.

Barely related to the OP but that's what I have to say.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Cool. Just added mine. It's interesting to know where other folks are riding at.

banned
    Jun 2007
    I like the addition, and feel it may help to better understand one's post.
    Do not feel this feature invasive, like Google+, FB, or other social apps that sell user profiles to advertisers for target marketing.

Have lived & ridden in many other states, so am careful not to judge based solely on locale.
    Yet a rider from KS, will most likely not have the same perspective, as one say from CO. [Not picking on either, just a point of reference.]

Give it a crank
    You can always put "Earth" to help space aliens who might someday intercept mtbr communications in the distant universe. Oh, wait, they may want to target you with ads, forget it.

I married a witch.
    Why would someone care where another poster was located? Well, if I'm reading about someone's trail report, or a certain tire they say is good in their local terrain, usually they're not saying exactly where they are in their posting, so it's nice to see at a glance where they're from.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

I married a witch.
    Case in point... where is "here"?

http://forums.mtbr.com/9307859-post2.html
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post
    Why would someone care where another poster was located? Well, if I'm reading about someone's trail report, or a certain tire they say is good in their local terrain, usually they're not saying exactly where they are in their posting, so it's nice to see at a glance where they're from.
    Try this, pick any page in this long-time thread which has become very popular. You can't tell where on earth many of the shots were taken if there's no hint included in the posts. A user location field could tell help readers.

banned
    Much ado about nothing. Too hard to click on the users profile? Are you all just stalkers?

I married a witch.
    Hello roadie. I am always excited when I see you've posted. I know it's always going to be a positive and insightful message.
    My Riding Blog

banned
    Who let you out of the beginners forum?

I married a witch.
    This isn't the beginners forum?

Aw heck, I must have made a wrong turn in Albuquerque.
    My Riding Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0