US hospital charges high fee for covid test- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

US hospital charges high fee for covid test

I read online news that American hospitals charges outrageous fee for the test.

Can anyone confirm the cost of the test

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    where did you read that?

also interesting- my wife is interviewing candidates for a job in her office right now. (the interviews are all being done online, BTW.) that have had a few good candidates, but no one will take the job because they can't risk moving out of their home to get closer to the office, or even travel across the country to pick up their equipment and go back home. other candidates would take the job, but it takes two months to get in the new insurance, so there would be a gap. most people will take the risk of being uninsured for a month or two, but not right now. USA!

All fat, all the time.
    Where did you read that? Link?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I've been getting all of my Coronavirus info from Picard and I'm feeling great. Thanks, Picard!

One ring to mash them all
    Maybe not the same story, but the dollar amount is close:

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

Far more than just a test, though.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Maybe not the same story, but the dollar amount is close:

https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

Far more than just a test, though.
    yeah. ER visits. Hospital stays. A lot more than just a test. ER visits are always stupid expensive.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Leave it to Picard to read a headline and nothing else, and then start an outraged thread about what he does not know.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Leave it to Picard to read a headline and nothing else, and then start an outraged thread about what he does not know.
    That's oddly similar to DJ's MO, hmm...
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    OTOH it could be an intentional troll post to start a flame war about U.S. health care.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Really, no one sees the

GONE
    Nov 2008
    One word comes to mind when I see the name Picard here: CONTROVERSY

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Well there is that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    I read online news that American hospitals charges outrageous fee for the test.

Can anyone confirm the cost of the test

Yup, wouldnt surprise me one bit. Thats the way their hospital system is, nothing new there. I did read a fella somewhere in USA got billed $15k for a covid-19 test, and he never even got the result of the test. What a scam.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Yup, wouldnt surprise me one bit. Thats the way their hospital system is, nothing new there. I did read a fella somewhere in USA got billed $15k for a covid-19 test, and he never even got the result of the test. What a scam.
    So 3/4 of the nation is out of work but are getting charged outrageous money for this test to find out if they need to self quarantine which they already are supposed to be doing anyway.. Yeah, our economy should be fine at the end of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

poser Administrator
    This is what my Healthcare insurance company sent me yesterday:
    Supporting you during this difficult time is our number-one priority. That's why we're helping members with COVID-19 get the care they need, without barriers. COVID-19 tests are already covered at no cost to you. Through June 30, 2020, you'll also be able to receive treatment for COVID-19 without any out-of-pocket costs.
    presumably that would cover any treatment related to COVID-19, though insurance companies are notorious in determining what is related, in this case they may argue that the pneumonia associated is a separate issue and make me pay for 2 weeks of ICU and ventilator treatment. So that waits to be seen, and hopefully not by me.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I received a similar letter.
    I am not worried as you are.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    I received a similar letter.
    I am not worried as you are.
    I have had some interesting run ins with insurance from getting hit by cars on my bike. They will do weird shit in the name of corporate bureaucracy. I literally had a settlement that sent an insurance company into federal investigation for lack of oversight all over costs associated with an ambulance ride. 2 years later and they accidentally refunded me twice for the cost of the ambulance ride. When I called to tell them they overpaid me they literally told me to never mention this again, forget it happened, and enjoy my windfall. I bet, lawyers and investigation all tolled, it cost them many magnitudes over the cost of my $700 ambulance ride. Convoluted corporate structure and bloated management is what insurance companies run with. They are scary only because they are so inefficient.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scatterbrained View Post
    yeah. ER visits. Hospital stays. A lot more than just a test. ER visits are always stupid expensive.
    Yes. This is the article

mtbr member
    The premise behind this thread is as stupid as saying "hospital charges $300k to take blood pressure", and then find out it is because the blood pressure reading was the first step in realizing the patient needed a heart transplant.

It's certainly time to social distance from this non-sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I have had some interesting run ins with insurance from getting hit by cars on my bike. They will do weird shit in the name of corporate bureaucracy. I literally had a settlement that sent an insurance company into federal investigation for lack of oversight all over costs associated with an ambulance ride. 2 years later and they accidentally refunded me twice for the cost of the ambulance ride. When I called to tell them they overpaid me they literally told me to never mention this again, forget it happened, and enjoy my windfall. I bet, lawyers and investigation all tolled, it cost them many magnitudes over the cost of my $700 ambulance ride. Convoluted corporate structure and bloated management is what insurance companies run with. They are scary only because they are so inefficient.
    Thatís crazy yet so typical. Another example of what too many lawyers do to us
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    What about your bikes? How did they fare?
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    So 3/4 of the nation is out of work but are getting charged outrageous money for this test to find out if they need to self quarantine which they already are supposed to be doing anyway.. Yeah, our economy should be fine at the end of this.
    Parking lot corps are still charging users, was on the news. Big metro's, $250-$350/m with a 30 day notice to stop payment.

A major department store was charging $50 for a box of 10 masks, as the gov't was saying pls dont gouge, and fined some parking lot sellers $1000.

I noticed apartment rental prices from major corps have increased $50/m.
    Noticed also more urgent ads from private landlords.
    I believe many people will be downsizing from mortgaged homes to apartments in about a month or two. They wont be able to afford $2000+/m for mortgage, plus $400/m utilities (winter), more repos of automobiles as payments lapse. Lots of vehicles will be in the auction centers once they open up. Bank owned homes for sale in 1+ months.

Gov't is delaying tax season for 3 or 4 months.
    City is delaying land tax payment for 3-4 months.

People will start selling their belongings just to make rent.

The prescription drug guy, who upped the price of a life saving drug by 1400% is asking to be released cuz of Covid-19.

mtbr member
    But will they give up cigarettes and $100/month cable bill?
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    damn American capitalism. it is better to die of covid 19 than having to pay bills.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Move to a country with free healthcare.

So in the USA, you cant place college/univ debt into a bankrupcy
    is it the same with health care bills?

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    What about your bikes? How did they fare?
    One was fine, the other was carbon and I was doored at 35mph. Wrapped the door around to the front of the car but needless to say I didn't want to ride the carbon gravel bike after that. There wasn't much visible damage to frame but carbon and all. Also my pinky finger no longer worked correctly as it was what got caught on part of a car when I hit the door. I also didn't crash land but instead got wedged between the collapsing door and an adjacent car, which was the car that took my pinky function. Surprisingly little damage compared to what could have happened, but so thankful that the adjacent vehicle was there to stop me. Still such a cluster, took me over 2 years to recoup my out of pocket costs I am still trying to get my insurance company to back out the costs passed to them when the hospitals charged them for the service vs. direct billing me. Will be 3 years this summer. I just sit and wait for them to eventually figure it out and send me a bill.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Move to a country with free healthcare.

So in the USA, you cant place college/univ debt into a bankrupcy
    is it the same with health care bills?
    He lives in one.

I think you can place medical bills into bankruptcy but that is a pretty extreme move to have to make because you get sick. I mean imagine you have a mortgage or a car payment but maybe not health insurance because you are young and fit and own your own business, but you get covid and spend 2 days in ICU. I would wager that would break most people. Declaring bankruptcy means you lose your house, and car, and then have to work to get those things back again, slowly building your credit rating back up.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    "Free" healthcare. LMAO.

Also, though possibly inaccurate it wouldn't surprise one bit if they were charging something ridiculous for a test. That's how insane the insurance / medical scam is here.
    Bottom line is, we're all paying.
    They're probably trying to make up for all of the lost revenue from the past month's hysteria.

mtbr member
    He lives in one.

I think you can place medical bills into bankruptcy but that is a pretty extreme move to have to make because you get sick. I mean imagine you have a mortgage or a car payment but maybe not health insurance because you are young and fit and own your own business, but you get covid and spend 2 days in ICU. I would wager that would break most people. Declaring bankruptcy means you lose your house, and car, and then have to work to get those things back again, slowly building your credit rating back up.
    One should insure against risks they are not willing to take. With freedom one is free to fail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    But will they give up cigarettes and $100/month cable bill?
    Not a chance, nor will they lay off eating at McDonalds. They'd just sit on their couch drinking XL diet coke and Big Macs.