TV Talk- Mtbr.com

Thread: TV Talk

banned
    Sep 2012

TV Talk

So I am moving into a new house, as many of you know, and we need a new TV. I have been looking into the new 4K TVs but I am not sold on the weird "like I am there" picture they have. Thinking of going with Samsung's last plasma model from 2013 that has really good reviews. I believe it is the model PN64F5800.

Oh and spare the "plasma uses too much power" talk because it equals like $2 more a year.

So what are you guys running and what do you suggest?

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I am not sold on the weird "like I am there" picture they have.
    My friend has one of those, it's pretty weird to me, too. I don't think I could get used to it.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    But, but, plasmas make a HUMMMMMING noise...

If you ask me, just go with whatever the reviews say are good. Be it plasma, LCD LED, or 1950s picture tube.

nvphatty
    if your near vegas it's all good.

mtbr member
    I have a Panasonic 50" plasma from 2007. I chose that model because Consumer Reports gave it the highest rating. I've been happy with it. I haven't noticed any increase in my electric bill. But plasma TVs do use more power than other technologies. In fact it replaced a Mitsubishi 50" rear projection TV. And I found out the plasma TV uses double the power of the older CRT projection TV. It even has some cooling fans on top in the back. Its a great TV. But if I were replacing it I think the LED TVs are the way to go now. Get a Smart TV. They have apps like Netfix, YouTube, etc. I recently bought a Vizio 29" LED Smart TV for my hobby room. It has a great picture and I use Netflix and YouTube on it all the time.

banned
    Anyone need a small TV? I have a 13" JVC with an incredible picture for sale or trade.

High Desert MTBer
    We have a Panasonic plasma we got in 2007, and it has been great! No humming, but years of loud music might have something to do with that. I currently use an old Wii as a streaming device, which works fine, and I see little reason right now to change anything. We get all the stuff we want, and the picture is very good.
    I have done some research tho, and were I to go with a new setup, I would go with a Samsung Smart TV, with the apps and built-in browser. NOT a 3D version as I do not believe that is necessary or enjoyable. The picture quality is very good, the price very competitive, especially now, and economically it is right up there. I would go with a slightly more expensive faster refresh rate version tho, still very affordable...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    That thing runs at over 650 watts. That's 6 -100 watt light bulbs running.
    it coasts at over 200 watts..just sitting there. That's 2- 100 watt bulbs on, all year long.

Way over $2 a year.

Not to mention the heat coming off that thing.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

mtbr member
    Would go led-LCD, and not for power consumption but because IMO it's a better picture, especially in brighter rooms, lasts longer, better black and back light, no break in, etc. Got a samsung, forget the model but it got excellent ratings and Costco had it for like a hundred bucks cheaper than anywhere else.
    Oh, just about any of these new flat screen designs have crappy sound, so I'd figure in the price of a sound bar as part of the cost.
    Round and round we go

banned
    Jun 2007
    Was in a local pub running 30 + TV's, one stood out above all the others, Panasonic Viera (plasma).
    Got one last year, and it gets many compliments from people who watch way more TV than I, and my electric bills haven't changed.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Thanks for all the replies!

I also have a Panasonic Viera plasma from 2007 that has been our main TV since then but it is going in our bedroom because we are donating our current dinosaur in our room. It's a great TV but Panisonic isn't the same as it used to be and Samsung is the brand I am going with. I just am not sure if I can get used to the weird look of the 4k clear motion rate that makes what you are watching look like 3D in a way.

FB - I made a typo, meant $20. I didn't mean $20 a year total running cost, I meant the difference between the 64" plasma and 65" LED I am looking at is minimal. I am sure the energy rating isn't the most accurate but I still am not worried about the energy.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  36.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  31.1 KB

Meatbomb
    Samsung LED here. Nice unit.

I agree with the need for a sound bar on most new units but the Samsung does not need one.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I have a surround sound system that is just fine so not concerned with the sound from the TV. The newer sound bars are great though!

My buddy who installed home entertainment systems for several years just sent me the link below which explains that "weird look" of the LEDs. It's called the "Soap Opera Effect" and it shows up on movies and TV shows. You can turn off some setting to slow down the refresh rate when watching movies/shows and turn it on for sports etc. Not sure I dig that.

What is the 'Soap Opera Effect'? - CNET

mtbr member
    I still am not worried about the energy.

I take it you don't drive a prius either...

-Dad

banned
    Sep 2012
    ^Haha, I don't drive one and I had a feeling my comment made it sound like I am a rolling coal lifted truck type. We are replacing the current can lights in our new house with LED ones that will save a lot if energy though.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Rocker - I agree with the 3D but a lot of the "higher end" Samsungs come with it. Definitely going with a smart TV.

High Desert MTBer
    Rocker - I agree with the 3D but a lot of the "higher end" Samsungs come with it. Definitely going with a smart TV.
    Yeah, I saw that... But I do not wish to be steamrollered into something I view as a gimmick still. The upside is that there are great deals on regular smart TVS if you do not want to buy into the 3D bandwagon.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Smart TV's (or using a streaming media player) are great! We no longer have cable. Just an antenna and a Smart TV, a smart blue ray player and a Roku on the non-smart TV's.

mtbr member
    You guys do know that "Smart" devices talk to each other and allows the Networks, You tube, Google, Government to monitor your TV viewing and compile a list..... with what content they think you need and send subliminal messages.... right.
    -Dad

mtbr member
    We also have a 42'' Panasonic Viera plasma and I love it.

We put off buying a flatscreen for years as the picture never looked very good to me. We had a Sony Trinitron CRT and in my opinion it looked better than most LCDs I'd seen.

When we look at the Panasonic Plasma in the shop it didn't look very impressive next to the more punchy LCDs but it got fantastic reviews so we took a chance and bought it. Glad we did. I don't feel it's any worse than the Sony. The picture is natural looking and smooth with no motion blur or odd digital artefacts.

Almost all LCDs TVs I've seen look wrong. They look 'digital', harsh and unnatural. I'm sad that they have stopped making Plasmas, they're beautiful TVs. Friends and relatives have all kinds of LCD TVs and none of them look as nice as our plasma.

Newer plasma TVs use a lot less power than they used to and actually use less than many current LED TVs! Unless the TV is on all day it's just not an issue. We hardly watch TV.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishbucket View Post
    You guys do know that "Smart" devices talk to each other and allows the Networks, You tube, Google, Government to monitor your TV viewing and compile a list..... with what content they think you need and send subliminal messages.... right.
    Yes, and now they can show me things I want to buy more often and suck me into things I don't need.

We are always being watched!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    We also have a 42'' Panasonic Viera plasma and I love it.

We put off buying a flatscreen for years as the picture never looked very good to me. We had a Sony Trinitron CRT and in my opinion it looked better than most LCDs I'd seen.

When we look at the Panasonic Plasma in the shop it didn't look very impressive next to the more punchy LCDs but it got fantastic reviews so we took a chance and bought it. Glad we did. I don't feel it's any worse than the Sony. The picture is natural looking and smooth with no motion blur or odd digital artefacts.

Almost all LCDs TVs I've seen look wrong. They look 'digital', harsh and unnatural. I'm sad that they have stopped making Plasmas, they're beautiful TVs. Friends and relatives have all kinds of LCD TVs and none of them look as nice as our plasma.

Newer plasma TVs use a lot less power than they used to and actually use less than many current LED TVs! Unless the TV is on all day it's just not an issue. We hardly watch TV.
    The plasma I am looking to get is the last high end plasma Samsung is making and others have already phased them out. Our Panasonic 42" plasma has been awesome and will hopefully last another 8 years as our bedroom tv!

Samsung PNF8500 review - CNET

mtbr member
    The plasma I am looking to get is the last high end plasma Samsung is making and others have already phased them out.
    Looks good to me. Better not wait until there are none left ;0)

check your six
    I prefer plasma over the rest. I have two Panasonic Vieras' that are outstanding. I choose plasma because my TV viewing in done in the basement and plasma works beautifully in a dark room. I install many TV's at work and often choose LED's for those installs due to the brightness of the room. Plasma screens are "glass" and are very reflective and susceptible to "glares". To me, the new 4K TV's are still too much of a gimmick to drop the coin on. I also do not care too much for the picture on those.

With Panasonic being out of the plasma game I would choose Samsung for my next purchase, even if it is an LED. Samsung has got it dialed in now.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

banned
    Sep 2012
    Very true about plasmas not being as good for bright rooms. The Samsung plasma I am interested in is 250x brighter than the model the year before. So it's more like an LED and is ok in bright rooms. Our new family room has blinds on the windows as well.

mtbr member
    Samsung are ending production too though. I actually considered buying another plasma and keeping it in the box in the loft for future use but the idea just seemed too mad ;0)

Our TV is in a bright room, you get away with it. There is a lot of glare off the screen though. Not too annoying for the most part but we do put the lights off when watching a film.

I was amazed by how quickly people abandoned CRT for the new flat TVs when most of them offered very poor performance. Many still do and no one seems to care.

banned
    Sep 2012
    So I went with the 64" Samsung plasma and am very happy. The picture is amazing and I am just starting to play with the smart tv stuff like internet browsing. Now I just need a new component cabinet, the one in the picture below is going in our room with the old plasma so I didn't take the time to hide the cables yet.

Enough tv for now though, time to go for a ride!

TV Talk-image.jpg

I didn't do it
    Well done Gordon. I just brought home a 46" Samsung myself. Its a LED though. I considered pulling the trigger on one of the last plasmas but decided against it. After 2 days I'm happy with the LED. My old Samsung was like 7 years old, man TVs have come a long way. I'll probably start playing around with the smart features a little later, right now I'm happy to be watching the baseball playoffs on a bigger and better TV.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives