Try to not get hit pulling into your own driveway- Mtbr.com
    \_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator

Try to not get hit pulling into your own driveway

So this happened yesterday......

No Words.

https://youtu.be/QywCKzWjwyU

For a brief moment I thought about following the car and asking them why they were tailgating me and then why they illegally passed me in the center lane and nearly took me out... but I realized it was not worth my time or effort and just went about my day.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

banned
    May 2017
    Maybe legal to pull in front of the Kia, but why? Why would you? Just curious.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. As a motorcycle rider I have to say that you are part of the problem with your seemingly entitled attitude towards traffic laws.

After a second look I would add that you encroached into the intersection, the traffic laws you flaunt so freely are also selectively followed by you. You are the problem.

Yeah!
    I prefer to test my mettle and resolve with friends out on the trail, not strangers in 2 ton vehicles.

Can't be anything but completely on the defense when on two wheels. If I'm getting tailgated, I find a place to let them pass, and do not engage. Might be a life long asshat behind the wheel, or might be someone that just lost their kid to cancer that has no idea they are putting me in harm's way. Both are dangerous, and I'm not going to escalate it to getting run over by a distracted mind or shot by an illogical one, just to point out their error. If I feel they will continue to be a danger to others, I know how to call the police and turn in a license plate, location, heading, and video if they need it.

While the driver should not have passed you, you did slow down in the lane and throw out the WTH hand signal, which can be intimidating, especially by non-bikers that have seen videos of bikers that follow up by blocking the lane, getting off their bike, smashing windows, and dragging people out of their vehicles for a good bruising. You could signaled, pulled into the center lane, the throw out the signal for a less aggressive action by leaving a clear escape route for the driver, but if you happen to end up in an incident and police are summoned, that hand signal can be considered an escalation.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    "The law says I can cut the line, of two cars, and get right in front while passing the white line, thank you very much"..... That right there is why the black car wanted to mow you down. Why did you cut the line if there was just 2 cars in front? Are you that impatient and in a hurry to get home? You call the driver "impatient", but you're not so patient yourself. Traffic was light, there was NO REASON to cut the line.

I've waved motorcycles to be in front of me at stop lights when I knew I would slow them down when the light turns green. But you took it upon yourself to cut to the front when there were just 2 cars.

Sorry, the law does not give you the right to be a jackass. And from a lot of your videos, that seems to be the case. You flaunt the law being on your side, but continue riding like a jack ass.

Big Mac
    Yup, what goes around, comes around.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm no motorcycle rider and disagree with a lot of their actions, but there is some serious victim blaming going on.

Meatbomb
    I almost took out a guy on a crotch rocket last week. 75 on the freeway, I signaled and cleared my blind spot mirror and just as I started to change lanes he came out of no where doing at least 90. He had to make defensive move to keep from getting hit by me. Then he flipped me off. Asshat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    You filter to the front with just 1 or 2 cars? Left turn signal turned on for driveway?

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    I dont know US driving laws, but wouldnt you turn left from the center lane not the right lane?

(15 yrs motorbike experience,mx,enduro & road, in Brisbane, Australia)
    always mad and usually drunk......

Meatbomb
    I have a feeling this thread did not go as expected...

mtbr member
    I try to help motorcyclists whenever I can. It doesn't bother me if they sneak past me, in fact I help them do it. If that upsets you I'd say it's pure jealousy. I know a few guys who'd been hit by drivers, two who were killed, and none of them were to blame for the accidents.

Even if cutting in front of Mr Kia annoyed him does that give him the right to endanger someone's life? I don't think so.

High Desert MTBer
    Kjr, I would stop posting these MC vids you make! They do not seem to be going that well!
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    One thing I have learned in a lifetime of motorcycling is that I should always expect the unexpected, and that there are douchebags and useless drivers in 'control' of all kinds of vehicles out there, 2 wheelers included. The incidence of 2 wheeled douchebaggery tends to be less in my experience, since the risk/reward thing weeds out the worst offenders quickly. In the UK where I rode most of my life, lane-splitting is legal and essential to get anywhere in cities, much as in most EU countries, so people are used to bikes shooting by all around them. I would pass people up the inside often, and always was of the opinion that I should never trust anyone not to do something unexpected. This hones your powers of observation and reaction, and I managed to survive so far. I would always look for the head movement, or muscle movement of body parts that might signify a rapid shift in direction, and if I could not get a clear view of the other driver thru the windows or in his mirrors, I would take greater care. Like you Herr Pig, I have had people close to me badly injured or killed by drivers not looking behind when making their moves...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Like you Herr Pig, I have had people close to me badly injured or killed by drivers not looking behind when making their moves...
    The same thing happened to both of the guys I knew who were killed and one guy who was injured. A car or van driver pulled out of a side-road in front of them.

Meatbomb
    I had that happen to me when I was a kid. Had to lay it down to prevent hitting her.

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Sorry to be late getting back here, been a busy day at work.

Drivers come flying down that off-ramp, no way in hell I would risk getting rear-ended by someone coming in too hot, I always pull up to the front there.

I would be happy to show this video to the police and be pretty confident if that Kia had hit me I would not be at fault. In California when one car rear ends another, or passes illegally they automatically take 100% blame.

For whose who don't like me filtering to the front of the lane at the stop, have you ridden a motorcycle before? When a car gets rear ended you might enjoy a trip to the chiropractor and some neck pain, when a motorcycle gets squished between 2 cars the rider either dies or comes close to it, guaranteed trip to the hospital or the morgue.

I stand by my actions. Hand gestures like mine are not escalating anything, that driver obviously has issues.

Please don't ever tailgate a motorcycle, scares the crap out of the rider.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

Meatbomb
    I always give a motorcycle at least half a car length (if not more) space when I pull up behind one at an intersection. That way if I get rear ended I'm not pushed in to them.

High Desert MTBer
    I was rear ended in Italy on my ZX12R several years ago, and the guy so nearly had me pushed into the passing traffic as I was waiting to join at an intersection. He was very apologetic, but some people simply do not see us.
    My brother was riding his Guzzi in his hometown Brisbane, waiting to turn left from a filter lane, and he was hit by a car traveling at over 60 mph in town. The only thing that saved his life was the build quality of the bike, and the fact that after being propelled high into the air he came down relaxed and unconscious. He got away with some back and neck damage. You do have to be aware, but there ain't a lot you can do about blind or distracted drivers. I think I might have pulled in front of the car if there's idiots around Kjr...
    It's all Here. Now.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Sorry to be late getting back here, been a busy day at work.

Drivers come flying down that off-ramp, no way in hell I would risk getting rear-ended by someone coming in too hot, I always pull up to the front there.

I would be happy to show this video to the police and be pretty confident if that Kia had hit me I would not be at fault. In California when one car rear ends another, or passes illegally they automatically take 100% blame.

For whose who don't like me filtering to the front of the lane at the stop, have you ridden a motorcycle before? When a car gets rear ended you might enjoy a trip to the chiropractor and some neck pain, when a motorcycle gets squished between 2 cars the rider either dies or comes close to it, guaranteed trip to the hospital or the morgue.

I stand by my actions. Hand gestures like mine are not escalating anything, that driver obviously has issues.

Glad you're ok, but I wouldn't do anything gesture-wise to anyone when I'm pulling into my own driveway! Now they know where you live.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    I let motorbikes do whatever they want. Like I say with bikes on roads, they aren't pedestrians and they aren't cars so they should have their own set of rules.

The other day I saw some motorbikes in rush hour stop and go, in the right lane, moving with traffic! The shoulder was empty and they could have just gone down it! Asshats, they just took up space for another car and extended my commute by 10 seconds.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I almost took out a guy on a crotch rocket last week. 75 on the freeway, I signaled and cleared my blind spot mirror and just as I started to change lanes he came out of no where doing at least 90. He had to make defensive move to keep from getting hit by me. Then he flipped me off. Asshat.
    Reminds me of this:

*Originally posted by Mark_BC in the gif thread.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Most excellent GIF. A perfect 10 landing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    This guy, not so lucky:

High Plains Luddite
    You cut between cars to get to the front of the line. Apparently that's legal in California.

What about at about 1:15 in the video, when you were no longer "lane splitting" but actually turned left to get IN FRONT of the car who was there first? Is that legal too? Is being so far out in front of the white legal also?

But forget the legality of it. You behaved like a selfish jerk by cutting in line like that. I can understand why the other driver was upset at your behavior.
    Last edited by Squeeze; 08-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    This guy, not so lucky:

That did not look good.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    That did not look good.
    Much less than good.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    That did not look good.
    Terrible. Poor guy. Such a silly accident too.

This happened in France. In the UK most trucks have to have bars or panels on the sides to help stop things like this happening.

Try to not get hit pulling into your own driveway-29332562466_334db529bd_b.jpg

Try to not get hit pulling into your own driveway-31596911926_0870c9df13_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Lifelong rider here and queuing to the front is the absolute safest place for the motorcycle to be, no question. Good on California for understanding this. With that said I may have done it a tad slower and waved to the Kia upon getting in front of him in that circumstance. For anybody reading this keep in mind a motorcycle can stop in 1\5 the distance you can in your SUV. Tailgating also obscures other drivers visibility of motorcycles. Please don't tailgate. It's pointless and dangerous.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member

The inverse is also true. I once had a couple of MC's riding within inches of my rear bumper. One brake tap would've killed both of them.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

\_(ツ)_/ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    The inverse is also true. I once had a couple of MC's riding within inches of my rear bumper. One brake tap would've killed both of them.
    yeah, it is sooo easy to do on a bike too since you have so little out in front of you. I make a habit of riding on the edge of the lane so if a car in front of me does need to stop in a hurry I have an out. I also ride with a finger on the front brake lever and my right foot slowly resting on the rear brake anytime traffic is thick or I am lane splitting.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    yeah, it is sooo easy to do on a bike too since you have so little out in front of you. I make a habit of riding on the edge of the lane so if a car in front of me does need to stop in a hurry I have an out. I also ride with a finger on the front brake lever and my right foot slowly resting on the rear brake anytime traffic is thick or I am lane splitting.
    It was one of the dumbest things that I've ever seen. I had to drive extremely carefully to not kill the both of them.

I bet they got a lot of my exhaust.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986