Trading in/selling used car- Mtbr.com
    All fat, all the time.

Trading in/selling used car

What a pain....

I know the dealerships low-ball trade in cars usually, people don't want the hassle of selling it themselves, Craigslist scans, etc etc. But damn, 1/2 of the kbb "trade in"?
    Ouch
    Both dealership and CarMax came back with a similar#.

Anyone ever sell a car on eBay? Local auction? Consignment?
    There is a local auction house near me, never tried it myself.

Just looking to get a slightly more fair price, and prefer not to have Craigslist strangers over to the house....

Ideas?
    '12 Countryman S, mint. New tires, brakes, battery, timing chain.

Kbb shows 5k trade in, 8k private.

Dealership offered 3500. Grr.

Dirty Old Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    What a pain....

I know the dealerships low-ball trade in cars usually, people don't want the hassle of selling it themselves, Craigslist scans, etc etc. But damn, 1/2 of the kbb "trade in"?
    Ouch
    Both dealership and CarMax came back with a similar#.

Anyone ever sell a car on eBay? Local auction? Consignment?
    There is a local auction house near me, never tried it myself.

Just looking to get a slightly more fair price, and prefer not to have Craigslist strangers over to the house....

Ideas?
    '12 Countryman S, mint. New tires, brakes, battery, timing chain.

Kbb shows 5k trade in, 8k private.

Dealership offered 3500. Grr.
    That could just be their way of saying they don't want to deal with it. Going into 2020 it's an 8 year old car. Not really something they likely want on their lot.
    . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I've sold several cars on Craigslist. Sold one back to a regular dealer years ago (not a trade in--I just sold it outright) and also sold one to Carmax. With Carmax giving you the same price as the dealer, your fate is probably sealed. Put it up for sale at $4300 on Craigslist, and if it doesn't sell at $3900 or better, take it to Carmax and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Check C'list and Autotrader for comps and price accordingly. Take cash only and complete transaction at your local police department. Provide bill of sale with "as-is, no warranty" big as can be. Search on-line for a bill of sale issued by your DMV.

mtbr member
    As a dealer myself, I can tell you, no dealership wants a mini. All they are is a cheap bmw that still has the potential for very expensive repairs. You'll do much better selling it private party.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TMWTP View Post
    As a dealer myself, I can tell you, no dealership wants a mini. All they are is a cheap bmw that still has the potential for very expensive repairs. You'll do much better selling it private party.

I think you hit the nail on the head

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    All they are is a cheap bmw that still has the potential for very expensive repairs.
    LOL you read my mind! It’s a car designed for making money when sold brand new, and it’s not even a great car; it is sold to the unsuspecting as they think it is some sort of status/lifestyle image thing rather than a practical investment.
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

Bikesexual
    Craigslist for sure, just have to get rid of the BS.

I've sold 5 cars on CL including my fiancee's car this year, sold it within 24hrs for 3x what the dealer would have given us, and we put that towards our new truck.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I've had good luck buying and selling on CL. If you have a decent BS barometer it's easy to skate through the morons. Even better if you have a local buy/sell group on FB. I find MUCH less flakes and BS on the local FB sale groups. Infact all my FB sales have been 100% painless. No low ballers, no flakes, no no-shows, ever.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Ditto to the above about Craigslist or Autotrader.

My understanding is Craigslists charges for Car ads now, so Autotrader might be a better option these days.

Either way, don't invite anyone to your home to see it. Have them meet you for inspections at a Bank, Police station or any other public place with lots of camera's.

I prefer my local bank so they person who buys it from me watches as I go put the cash into the ATM. That will prevent any nasty business of trying to follow me and rob me.

The one thing that might be hard for you is a buyer who knows to never look at a car with a warmed up engine. Discerning buyers will always want to see and hear it start from cold.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I just drive my cars off a cliff and call the insurance. I have sold several cars on craigslist but it has been a while. there is a price break of serious buyers and BS people. I find it is around $3k. those who just cant afford $3k and those that try to really low ball you, auction people. If someone says they need to buy it because they just had a kid and cant quite afford the asking price right now just hang up.

The advantage of a bank is you can make your transaction there, its public, and notary for the title and or bill of sale. Take good pics and not in your front yard. Trail head parking lot makes for great car pics BTW.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Take good pics and not in your front yard. Trail head parking lot makes for great car pics BTW.
    Good point!

Another great spot is in parking lots of businesses that are not open on the weekends. Tons of Business parks around my area that are devoid of cars on the weekends.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

All fat, all the time.
    All good points, thanks.

There are 4 similar ones on CL right now in my area, all between 9-11k.

Might try auction if I can put a reserve on it. There is one just down the road.

since 4/10/2009
    Interesting to see so many folks who have sold cars on craigslist or other classifieds. I've not tested that route yet. I've always done the trade in at the dealer, or selling to carmax. my wife sold her jeep liberty to carmax and they gave her more than the kbb trade-in price. didn't complain about that one, with the reduced hassle of trying to do private sale and all.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Interesting to see so many folks who have sold cars on craigslist or other classifieds. I've not tested that route yet. I've always done the trade in at the dealer, or selling to carmax. my wife sold her jeep liberty to carmax and they gave her more than the kbb trade-in price. didn't complain about that one, with the reduced hassle of trying to do private sale and all.
    For me it depends on what I am trying to do.

I have also traded a number of cars in when buying something new to me (only bought a new car once).

I sold my 98 S10 pickup on Craigslist because I wanted it gone fast and I sold it for less than what I could have potentially gotten for it. But we are talking maybe a few hundred dollars... I listed it on a Friday afternoon at 4pm and had cash in my hand by 6pm. I got rid of it quickly and the cash I needed.

I traded in my 2009? Chevy Colorado for my 2007 Chevy Silverado. The Colorado had a weird electrical gremlin at startup and the chevy dealer could not figure it out, online resolutions were no good either. Giving it back to a dealer was easier than trying to fix it.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    what ever you do, do not sell it to anyone you know or see often. I sold my camaro to a friend years ago. I got calls all the time, hey whats this, whats that, how does this work, why does this not work, can you fix this, this broke, that broke, blah blah blah.... Even when I sold my tacoma the guy who bought it kept calling me about this or that. maybe carmax is the way to go...

Cycologist
    I've sold a few lower priced cars on CL. Also bought an older but low mileage Subaru Legacy for $1350 after CarMax offered $1250 to an acquaintance that was moving out of the country that didn't want to hassle with selling it. Later that week a mechanic offered me $3000 for it; that reassured my wife we got a good deal after all as she wasn't so sure. Sold it for $1700 several years later to a small used car dealer when I bought my Forester. I hadn't planned to trade it in but he saw it and wanted it and talked me into it. Traded in our Odyssey for $1000 with 183,000 miles and the transmission needing to be replaced. Other than the trans, was in great condition and I could have gotten a couple more grand for it if I sold it on my own (and the transmission held up to avoid it needing a tow truck).
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    wish I could find a cheap subaru. they go for a lot around here and I do not know why. it's Phoenix. my friend bought one in durango for $200. it had good tires and battery. I just don't like dealing with stupid people, or people that try to play you off as ignorant. I love the "well my friend is a mechanic...." ok, then he can buy the car.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    wish I could find a cheap subaru. they go for a lot around here and I do not know why. it's Phoenix. my friend bought one in durango for $200. it had good tires and battery. I just don't like dealing with stupid people, or people that try to play you off as ignorant. I love the "well my friend is a mechanic...." ok, then he can buy the car.
    Subarus are know for having high resale value. Probably half is undeserved, but not unusual to see Subaru’s go well over 150,000 miles. Mine haven’t.

Cycologist
    I've got a 193,000 on my Forester. Thinking about selling it before it's time to replace the timing belt and while the tires are still good.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Do the timing belt. So easy.

Subarus are very reliable STOCK. Everything broke on my wrx. but it was also 750hp

Co Springs
    what ever you do, do not sell it to anyone you know or see often. I sold my camaro to a friend years ago. I got calls all the time, hey whats this, whats that, how does this work, why does this not work, can you fix this, this broke, that broke, blah blah blah.... Even when I sold my tacoma the guy who bought it kept calling me about this or that. maybe carmax is the way to go...
    Yes, good point. At first, I was thinking maybe a network of friends or co-workers if you find someone who thinks the Mini looks cool, great second or "fun" car or even a nice upgrade for their kid but I see the mini might be pricey for fixes and reg service too. You don't want to steer friends wrong for sure.

I almost always take the hit with trade in but I really try to do my homework on not overpaying for the car I'm getting.
    By the time I'm done with a car, it's value falls into the retail $5000 area at most and trade-in (actual $) of $3000 to $3500. I've lived with that hit a long time but I do hang on to cars a while.
    Losing $1500 of opportunity money a few times over 7 - 10 years isn't terrible when we know cars are not an investment anyways. One thing I've never got caught on was having to do a big costly repair or investment just before selling... just lucky I guess.

I'm driving a '17 Sportwagen from trade / '04 Infiniti I bought in 2010 and my wife has a '16 Mazda CX-9 from trade / '08 CX-8. Both have 10 year 100 k coverage so there is no reason in my mind to avoid low cost maint and ownership by getting out of them 'early'.
    "Before you criticize, you should walk a mile in their shoes. You'll be a mile away from them and you have their shoes"

All fat, all the time.
    Auction got back with me, $100 flat fee to list and I can set a reserve. Think I'll give it a go.

Bad luck, picked up a certified outback on Thursday..... And hit a deer last night with it. Arg.
    Last edited by Shark; 12-30-2019 at 02:14 PM.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Auction got back with me, $100 flat few to list and I can set a reserve. Think I'll give it a go.

Bad luck, picked up a certified outback on Thursday..... And hit a deer last night with it. Arg.
    OUCH! did it total out the car?

MTBR Posting Guidelines

All fat, all the time.
    I hope not, bumper, headlight and drivers quarter panel. Waiting to hear back from insurance today.
    No airbags deployed, alignment still good, so I'm assuming$5k damage maybe?

EMBA Member
    I sold a car on Craigslist a couple years ago. Met the buyer in a shopping center lot not far from my home. Worked out well. No issues.

Also sold a truck via facebook maybe 2 years ago. Also went well.

No known cure

This. I recently sold a high mileage ten year old Audi A6 on CL. Something I almost couldn't give away. But there's always a buyer and I priced it right, weeded out the scammers and had a smooth transaction.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

CEO Product Failure
    Used to live a small town. Sold all our old vehicles for cash to "friends of friends". Last two transactions had one car go to a neighbor's in-laws and another go to my auto-body guy's bro-in-law. In the same small town, we also bought a used car from Facebook. No issues with any of these transactions.

We now live a major city (St. Louis) and there is NO WAY I would buy/sell a car myself. This area has a severe car jacking problem. The FBI has a car jacking task force in town for a few years. Cars are stolen during Craigslist sales, cars are stolen while people drive them regardless of location (good part, bad part, hospital parking garage), and the victims are usually harmed. I can think of two deaths from this: the first was a car-jacked, retired police officer. The second was a Craigslist scam which resulted in a dead college student (vehicle's owner).

If I had to sell a car where I live now and could not do it via word-of-mouth, then I would sell it on consignment or to CarMax.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr View Post
    Used to live a small town. Sold all our old vehicles for cash to "friends of friends". Last two transactions had one car go to a neighbor's in-laws and another go to my auto-body guy's bro-in-law. In the same small town, we also bought a used car from Facebook. No issues with any of these transactions.

We now live a major city (St. Louis) and there is NO WAY I would buy/sell a car myself. This area has a severe car jacking problem. The FBI has a car jacking task force in town for a few years. Cars are stolen during Craigslist sales, cars are stolen while people drive them regardless of location (good part, bad part, hospital parking garage), and the victims are usually harmed. I can think of two deaths from this: the first was a car-jacked, retired police officer. The second was a Craigslist scam which resulted in a dead college student (vehicle's owner).

If I had to sell a car where I live now and could not do it via word-of-mouth, then I would sell it on consignment or to CarMax.
    What about having the buyer meet you at a police station or FBI task forces headquarters......

MTBR Posting Guidelines

All fat, all the time.
    Dropped off the mini at the auction house today.... Cross your fingers for me.

mtbr member
    I live in the United Republic of Jockistan so I don't know how transferable my experience might be.

I've never traded a car in to a dealers, I've always sold the old car privately. If the car is more than three years old, a main dealer doesn't want it as they will most likely not sell it. It will go to the market.

You'll potentially get the most for the car by selling privately. Potentially because it depends on the car. If you've bought a car no one else wants, it has issues or you haven't bothered maintaining it or keeping it looking good trading it in might be the only way you'll get rid of the thing.

In the UK, selling at car at auction might get you more than you expect. It used to be that most of the people going to auctions were traders but more and more private buyers go now and they'll pay more. If they get caught up in a bidding war, possibly stupid money. Or your car could sell for peanuts! That's auctions.

A lot of selling a car is about buying the car. When you buy a car you should always be asking the question, how easy is this going to be to sell. Get that bit right and you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation down the line.

PS. Don't buy BMW Minis! Talked to a lot of mechanics and owners. Very unreliable cars and not cheap to fix.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    A lot of selling a car is about buying the car. When you buy a car you should always be asking the question, how easy is this going to be to sell. Get that bit right and you'll save yourself a lot of aggravation down the line.
    There seems to always be a second hand market for cars no matter what make n model they are.

I have found you can really get what you want for a vehicle as long as you are willing to wait for the right buyer. People get into trouble when they need the money or need the car or anything else really out of they way.

If you can wait and deflect the low ballers you can generally get the money you are asking.

I did this when selling my older specialized Enduro Pro. I think I had that bike for sale for 6 months and just kept telling all the lower ballers to get lost, sold it for what I wanted from it and I think the buyer was happy too.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    If you can wait and deflect the low ballers you can generally get the money you are asking.
    I absolutely agree but it's the wait that can be an issue when selling cars. I buy and sell a lot of Hi-Fi and I don't mind waiting for the right buyer but having a car sitting around for a lot time is not so good.

Some cars are just bad buys though. I was looking at Ford Focus STs and a lot of the cars for sale were modified. I don't know about the US but here, no one wants a modded car. I had one guy on a forum practically begging me to buy his modded car, just couldn't shift it. Had spent all this money modding it and it was worth less than a standard car,

CEO Product Failure

We the people ...

What about having the buyer meet you at a police station or FBI task forces headquarters......
    I'd take a hard pass on this idea for a car sale. How would you handle the test drive? If you're selling a coffee table, jacket or wheelset, YES! I would meet at any of those places. Actually, the Police Department have presences at most area QT gas stations. The Police and Fire departments both recommend meeting at a QT gas station for Craigslist / Facebook marketplace deals.

But to me, selling a car to a stranger isn't worth the risk. If I don't know you, or my friends don't know you, I'd rather sell it (at CarMax or a dealer), take a loss, and live. :-D

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've sold all my cars on Craigslist with no issues -- just don't respond to scammers. I flavor people that email from their work accounts. I've meet many nice folks.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    I'd take a hard pass on this idea for a car sale. How would you handle the test drive? If you're selling a coffee table, jacket or wheelset, YES! I would meet at any of those places. Actually, the Police Department have presences at most area QT gas stations. The Police and Fire departments both recommend meeting at a QT gas station for Craigslist / Facebook marketplace deals.

But to me, selling a car to a stranger isn't worth the risk. If I don't know you, or my friends don't know you, I'd rather sell it (at CarMax or a dealer), take a loss, and live. :-D
    no test drives unless Cash in Hand. That means you negotiate with them, they pay you, you hand them the title and they go for a test drive. If they come back having discovered they really don't like it or they discover a hidden problem you give them the cash back, if they crash the car.... too bad, they already own it. That should be standard operating procedure for any sale that involves anyone wanting to test drive or ride, motorcycles, bicycles, etc.

I would never allow anyone to test driver/ride a vehicle I am selling before i had money in my hand.

What is a QT? Where do you live?

The police stations in SoCal usually have a place at the station for doing such exchanges.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    I recently got a used Audi A3 from Craigslist. Went to the guys house...test drove the car...negotiated a price...went to the bank to get the cash.

mtbr member
    In the UK it is customary to let people test drive the car you are selling without insurance etc. Yes, it is a risk and illegal but that's what most people do.

My son wasn't happy to do that so insisted the guy coming to test drive the car he was selling was insured. He took the guy's details and put him on his insurance for the day. Guy didn't turn up, never heard from him again, so my son was out of pocket for nothing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sell it to carvana (depending what they give you) or sell it on CL. You'll deal with an annoying amount of spam/scammers/lowballers on CL but you'll deal with that on any platform. I wouldn't waste my time with autotrader; haven't tried cars.com. Some of the keys of selling is to take good pictures, give enough info to draw in a good buyer, and price your car competitively and realistically.

Rides all the bikes!
    Make sure you put a dollar figure on your time. I figure my time is worth at least $100 an hour. If I spend 5 hours selling a car (deal with phone calls, spam, test drives, etc), and end up selling it for $500 more than a dealer would have given me, then really, I am only $100 ahead.

On the other hand if it takes me two hours, and I get a grand more, then totally worth it.

I might be getting rid of my old car soon. But I can't imagine the hassle of selling an 8 year old economy car is going to be worth any amount of extra cash over trade in. But, we'll see.

CEO Product Failure
    What is a QT? Where do you live?
    QT-QuikTrip gas stations, St. Louis.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    QT-QuikTrip gas stations, St. Louis.
    Roger that, we don't have those in SOCal.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

All fat, all the time.
    We got$5100 at auction. Easy enough and better than the trade in offer. $1600 into the bike fund

High Plains Luddite
    no test drives unless Cash in Hand. That means you negotiate with them, they pay you, you hand them the title and they go for a test drive. If they come back having discovered they really don't like it or they discover a hidden problem you give them the cash back, if they crash the car.... too bad, they already own it.
    Do you sign the title over to them before they go for the test drive?

And if not, what if they do wreck it? It would still be legally yours, right?

Asking because I'm about to try to sell a nicer car than I ever have before and I like your idea. I've only sold old clunkers before that I was glad to get rid of and buyers weren't too fussy.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze View Post
    Do you sign the title over to them before they go for the test drive?

And if not, what if they do wreck it? It would still be legally yours, right?

Asking because I'm about to try to sell a nicer car than I ever have before and I like your idea. I've only sold old clunkers before that I was glad to get rid of and buyers weren't too fussy.
    I don't sign it over, but I give it to them. If they wreck it, you have the cash in your hand and they have the title, you can sign it then. If they don't wreck it and decide to keep it, the negotiation is done and you just sign the title. If they decide to "steal" it, you already have the cash... etc.

When I purchased my current commuter motorcycle it was being sold on consignment at the shop up in LA. I came into the showroom and the shop guy powered it up to show it ran and started good from cold. We discussed the price, I handed him the cash and I don't recall if he game me the title, but I was not concerned as my wife was there with me and it was a reputable shop. I did a quick test ride and it all checked out, came back and signed the title and went my way.

MTBR Posting Guidelines

High Plains Luddite
    ^ Thank you. I appreciate your advice (and everyone else's too).

Glad the OP got his car sold as well also.