The Top 10 Douches of Classic Rock...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

The Top 10 Douches of Classic Rock...

... as told by someone who most likely was denied entrance to all the after parties. I've certainly read articles where it was clear the writer holds an obvious grudge, but in this article the writer sounds like he regretted ever having to hear the music. Almost as if he was subjected to it like Alex in Clockwork Orange instead of by choice. Now, I don't entirely disagree with some of the choices and the reasoning, if we knew the men behind the icon many would appear to be at the least selfish bastards, but it appears to me that the writer would have taken out a hit on these guys given the funds and opportunity. Thoughts?

The 10 Biggest Classic Rock Douchebags | L.A. Weekly
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    It was subtle but I caught a whiff of disapproval.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Straight out tha traila
    I'm so tired of classic rock I don't even need to read the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I'm so tired of classic rock I don't even need to read the article.
    Right?

I agree with all those "artists". The only thing I might have is Dylan's Blood On The Tracks and Bruce's Born To Run.

But wait, where's Foreigner? And Billy Joel?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    But wait, where's Foreigner? And Billy Joel?
    Billy Joel is Classic rock?

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Billy Joel is Classic rock?
    Been around since the 60's, so yeah. Hell, according to XM radio, all of the stuff I grew up with in the 80's is now classic rock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Been around since the 60's, so yeah.
    Lots of music from the 60's is not classic rock.

I actually quite like Billy Joel, but but I have a hard time putting him in the classic rock category.

western NC
    I can agree with that. I would rank Billy as soft rock more than classic rock.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Billy Joel is classic rock?

Um, no.

If you can include Bruce in there (chronologically speaking, and I almost don't consider him 'classic rock' either), I see no reason that David Lee Roth should not make the list. Ritchie Blackmore is an even more solidly glaring omission as well.

Hi There!
    I agree with most of the article, but not the part about Zappa, and I don't even really care for his music. I just don't think he was a bad guy.
    NTFTC

Born With A Tail
    Everybody is entitled to have a wrong opinion. I don't like the Eagles or Springsteen. I think Clapton I overrated. Grateful Dead enjoyment is related to the amount of drugs one does. Dylan's Highway 61, is still awesome 55 years later. Zappa was his own person and did not care if this bozo liked him or not.
    I would be interested to hear who the tool who "wrote" that list thinks is good. I do agree that Roky Erickson and Lux Interior were cool.
    My guess is that the person who wrote it is young and brash and probably spends a lot of time cultivating his look and image. When you get old, you don't give a crap, at least I don't.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

High Desert MTBer
    Written by someone who likes the sound of his clever words and likes to shake things up.
    That's my take. Everyone has their opinions, but let's not forget we're talking about human beings who play music. Human beings... yes, they are not gods, just do something different to us who are not musicians. Jonny is a writer. I met him back in the punk era in London, and he never quite got over that era.
    The music biz is now and always has been a small pond full of very big sharks who will prey on the young and impressionable. They will also sway the older more established musos into that comfortable lifestyle of mainstream conformity dressed up as gentle rebellion.
    Jonny should really not be attacking a bunch of extremely talented people, but rather the industry that spawned them, and by extension, us.
    It's all Here. Now.

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGweed View Post
    I agree with most of the article, but not the part about Zappa, and I don't even really care for his music. I just don't think he was a bad guy.
    Agreed. Read his autobiography for a better picture of who he really was.

This Jonny Whiteside sounds like a premium level douche himself. Only such a douche would write " Zappa was a self-appointed authority figure who did nothing but ceaselessly *****, piss and moan ..." in an article where he promotes his opinions as fact while he ceaselessly *****es, pisses & moans. Another great reason to throw all media critics in a deep hole and cover them up.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

EMBA Member
    Jerry Garcia is a douche because this writer doesn't like his style of playing plus he was a drug addict? That's just stupid, as is most of the rest of this article.

Frank Zappa was one of the first people to stand up to the music censors. He testified in front of congressional committees on the matter when other music industry people were hiding under their desk. He went on talk shows to debate the issues, and held his own against professional politicians and other assorted true douchbags. Frank Zappa demonstrated courage far beyond the vast majority of his peers.

And by the way, Frank Zappa's music is some of the most ambitious and complex rock and roll ever created. He was a musical genius.

The time I took to read this article would have been better spent printing a paper in the bathroom.

Hi There!
    But we all fell for it. The whole purpose of this article was to stir shit. Just like when rolling stone releases their top albums of all time...everyone knows they don't even believe that stuff.
    NTFTC

Retro on Steroids
    I was a rock band roadie from 1968 to 2010. I have smoked a joint with Garcia and when I met Janis Joplin she was wearing red panties, and I believe shoes also.

The common factor among all the artists this guy despises is...wait for it.

They are politically liberal.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Repack Rider View Post
    I was a rock band roadie from 1968 to 2010. I have smoked a joint with Garcia and when I met Janis Joplin she was wearing red panties, and I believe shoes also.

The common factor among all the artists this guy despises is...wait for it.

They are politically liberal.
    I want to have a talk with you about Janis Joplin some day. I used to not care about her because I only heard the Piece of my Heart song and then about a year ago I heard some of her rocking stuff. Now if I could bring back just one of the dearly departed rockers it would be her. I've been finding out as much as I can about her and it's fascinating to me.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I don't know about the guy's motives and I don't care. I agree with a lot of what he says. Always thought John Lennon was a tosser and if he'd lived longer the vacuous nature of his musings would've become increasingly obvious. For a general idea of what we missed, look at Yoko.

My sister went to see Dylan and walked out. Couldn't stand it, the man cannot sing. At all. Yet his fans talk as if his obvious lack of talent is what makes him great! What??

Springsteen is the opposite. With the possible exception of 'Born To Run' you couldn't pay me to listen to his dull records but live, different story. Had the guy not toured so much I think he would've sunk into obscurity long ago but as it stands I reckon he deserves his place in rock history for his live shows alone.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I want to have a talk with you about Janis Joplin some day. I used to not care about her because I only heard the Piece of my Heart song and then about a year ago I heard some of her rocking stuff. Now if I could bring back just one of the dearly departed rockers it would be her. I've been finding out as much as I can about her and it's fascinating to me.
    A legend of a unique voice that will never be duplicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Springsteen is the opposite. With the possible exception of 'Born To Run' you couldn't pay me to listen to his dull records but live, different story. Had the guy not toured so much I think he would've sunk into obscurity long ago but as it stands I reckon he deserves his place in rock history for his live shows alone.
    I walked out on Springsteen years ago...too too too much talking between songs.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    I'd rate him as one of the best live acts I've seen.

EMBA Member
    Saw two stops of the Darkness on the Edge of Town tour. It was amazing high energy from start to finish.

Yep, I saw him once years ago. His Born in the USA tour in 86 I think. Long ass concert which was because of all the talkin. He also has a lot of songs, add that together and I think it was a 4 hour concert.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    I thought all that talking WAS his songs.

I never saw the appeal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

High Desert MTBer
    Well, Bruce is the only guy who managed to make New Jersey epic...
    It's all Here. Now.

Afric Pepperbird
    My sister went to see Dylan and walked out. Couldn't stand it, the man cannot sing. At all. Yet his fans talk as if his obvious lack of talent is what makes him great! What??
    But he sure can write! That's what makes him so great.

Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Hey, what about Bon Jovi?

Joking!

EMBA Member
    I saw Dylan once back in the 70's and thought it was terrible. He has a couple songs I like that he performs, but I much prefer to listen to his songs as performed by (interesting tie back to this article) The Jerry Garcia Band.

Here's a Dylan duet with Johnny Cash that is one of my all time favorite songs, though. Exquisite.

Has Neil Young been mentioned in this thread? His singing voice has always irritated me.

Retro on Steroids
    I was at the Fillmore West one night in 1969 when an unknown band called the Santana Blues Band auditioned. They blew the roof off the place, and in a month they had become one of the top draws in the Bay Area. I worked on a lot of Santana shows as the roadie for Sons of Champlin.

Dude delivers.

mtbr member
    i loved carlos before the prs guitarz. can't stand that tone he has with that guitar.

worked for pace concerts promo in late 80s. biggest douche pickles were a&r guys.

Carlos is as talented a musician as one could get.

mtbr member
    Carlos is as talented a musician as one could get.
    somewhere there's a srv & jv/carlos/cesar rojas jam. it is a must have. tune's called coal train. it's a whole gig from '88... i think. carlos' band is tight af. the talent on stage that nite was insane. layton, rolie and an escovedo on it. waz nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    somewhere there's a srv & jv/carlos/cesar rojas jam. it is a must have. tune's called coal train. it's a whole gig from '88... i think. carlos' band is tight af. the talent on stage that nite was insane. layton, rolie and an escovedo on it. waz nuts.
    That would be talent beyond comapare on one stage. SRV is my all time favorite.

mtbr member
    That would be talent beyond comapare on one stage. SRV is my all time favorite.
    agreed. i have a cesar diaz built amp in my house right now a friend loaned to me. he's played with dbl touble. i'm noodling on hallowed ground with my set up right now.
    it is beyond goodness.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=53119;13081966]i loved carlos before the prs guitarz. can't stand that tone he has with that guitar.

Dude...thank you! I thought it was only me. Too processed & clean. He sounded better with the Gibson.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=DaveRider;13086382]
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i loved carlos before the prs guitarz. can't stand that tone he has with that guitar.

Dude...thank you! I thought it was only me. Too processed & clean. He sounded better with the Gibson.
    yeah. that mesa boogie/prs set up is not nice for my ears. he's playin just outside my neighborhood in july. if it was woodstock carlos sound with rolie on keys then hellz yes but will pass.

High Desert MTBer
    I am not going to adjudicate on Carlos' sound. To me he is sublime no matter what. I went to see Santana in London in about 1970 and it changed my life. The houselights went out, and all I could see was little red lights on stage, and the sound of crickets... then a voice in a, to me, exotic-sounding American drawl: "From the mellow hills of San Francisco, we bring you... Santana!"
    From that moment I knew I needed to be in this business... been there ever since...
    It's all Here. Now.

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I read his book. Bruce has a bigger ego than the president.

Full disclosure: I didn't really read it all. Once he started bragging about his kids I was finished.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised