Throwing Range- Mtbr.com

Thread: Throwing Range

Beer Me!

Throwing Range

I have been to plenty of house party's with horseshoes, baggo (corn-hole if your from the north or east), bachi ball, washers, and other throwing games, but why not make it bladed! Thus (after anoying my wife into agreeing) I am setting up a backyard "throwing range" for Axes, Tomahawks, Ninja Stars, and Knives. Already ordered up the weaponry, working on the target board now.

Anyone have any experience with this? I am a noob but view knife and axe throwing as an essential man skill. Suggestions on making it even more epic would be awesome.
    "Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

Ride More, Work Less
    Tomahawk throwing is actually pretty easy with the right number of paces. There are a few variables but most can make it stick with a little practice. Once a person can do this, you can pin a few poker cards up and play for points.

You can make a target like this and have at it!

edit: PS--throwing tomahawks can be found on the web easily for $10-$15. So, for for about $50, you could have quite a party. (you'll want 2 or 3 tomahawks + a couple of extra handles for when you break them).

Attachment 718553
    Last edited by heyyall; 08-21-2012 at 09:05 AM.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Living in redwood logging country, we don't throw darts we.........

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6BnPsFztb5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AZ
    banned
    Edged weapons and alcohol usually make for interesting results.

Beer Me!
    Sweet, so where would i get the piece of stump/trunk? I have a buddy that is going to try and get me a couple slices off an old stump in his yard, but can i just buy them somewhere?

I was working on getting one set up like this guys as i can use wood I have lying around for it:
    Tomahawk Guy sticks all kinds of crazy stuff into board - YouTube

since 4/10/2009
    I attend a forestry school. there's a yard out back where the Sylvans practice timber sports. Axe throwing being one of them. They get a trailer full of timber every year that they use for practice.

AZ
    banned
    Get a harvesting permit and a chainsaw and cut yourself a truck load of "rounds".

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Edged weapons and alcohol usually make for interesting results.
    There are already suggestions of mixing fire into that concoction by the other men in my friend group. Flaming tomahawks... yes please.

Ride More, Work Less
    If you are short on big tree parts, go to the lumber store and buy 4 or 5 2x4s. Cut them into about 4-6 inch sections and glue them together for a butcher block effect. The soft pine will work best.

No Stranger to danger....
    We throw big 20kg Tuna with a rope through their eyes down here, also thong throwing is pretty big..
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....:cool:

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    heyyall is right, soft wood works the best. You don't want your axe's bouncing off the target, you want them to stick.

meow meow
    do you really need all your limbs anyways?

since 4/10/2009
    Jarts

Suckin wind like a boss
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Jarts
    so much win. i miss them so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Sweet, so where would i get the piece of stump/trunk? I have a buddy that is going to try and get me a couple slices off an old stump in his yard, but can i just buy them somewhere?
    call a local tree service company. most of the time those guys have to pay for disposal when they fell, so they are usually more than willing to give away anything that they arent saving specifically for firewood. and soft woods are sh!t for firewood, so they would probably be happy to not only give it to you, but deliver it as well.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Found some jarts at a yard sale once, they were great until one grazed a dog that ran thru the live range lol

Depending on the size of the throwing axe you need to be either 1 or 2 full revolutions from the target. For the little ones I have it's like 15ft for 1.

Beer Me!
    Well prototype target did not survive the long weekend. I held a bachelor party at my house for 3 days of heaving drinking, sharp object throwing, and general manlyness. Target 1 was composed of 2x6 boards glued side to side, and held by screws to horizontal boards on the back. The wood sections were held in place by 3 long screws. Here is the before Pic:

The target would have lasted longer if we went a little easier on it, but eventually we were throwing the tomahawk from 20+ feet away, and at that point if it hit the target at all it did some damage. Yes we did flaming tomahawks:

Target two will be substantially more robust. 4x4's glued side to side, and held in place with 2x4's on the top, Then larger stump sections attached to the front. I think having the attachment supports in the back caused them to be in line with the force of the blows eventually stripping the screws out.+

Here is the after shot:

Ride More, Work Less
    From the final picture of the target, it looks like you have a great time!

Half the fun will be improving the target to make it last longer.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I used to work at an exporter. The early part of the work day was spent assembling shipping boxes with packing tape and inserting styrofoam padding inside them. Man, that was a killer on the hands! The cardboard boxes would suck the moisture out of your skin and your hands would crack and bleed if you did not periodically lube them with lotion.

Anyway, one of the tools in the trade was razor blades and we had boxes and boxes of them. On nights when we got bored after building the boxes and waiting for shipments to arrive, we would build Ninja stars out of the razor blades and toss them from across the warehouse at the stacks and stacks of boxes we had assembled.

That was FUN!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    At a high school job I had, me and the manager would take turns and place bets on who could stick the most screw drivers in the ceiling.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    Well prototype target did not survive the long weekend. I held a bachelor party at my house for 3 days of heaving drinking, sharp object throwing, and general manlyness. .
    LOL I wish you lived closer...

mtbr member
    What about adding Lawn Darts into the mix? Whats the worst that could go wrong.

Retired User
    Looks like fun.

Drunk jousting on Pugsleys might be a nice addition for next time.

Members who have read this thread: 0