Is there already a term for this....?- Mtbr.com
    Hi There!

Is there already a term for this....?

Is there a term for the guy or gal that *seemingly* only goes mountain biking so he can hang out at the trailhead and shoot the breeze?

Today I get there and I see two guys that look like they're done riding and just talking. I rode about an hour and get back and they're still talking. I wash my bike and am walking past them and one guy leaves but the other guy says to me "your bikes too clean, no one will be able to tell you rode" to which I politely say "I don't need to prove it to anyone" which starts a conversation about everything. I never saw this guy before but I now know a hell of a lot about him.

I'm all for a little chit chat at the trail or on the trail, but....
    NTFTC

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Yes the term is "poser".
    Buy the top end of the latest a greatest bike and gear and hang out at the trailhead posing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Hi There!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Yes the term is "poser".
    Buy the top end of the latest a greatest bike and gear and hang out at the trailhead posing.
    He had an old FS on his rack and said his Yeti was in the shop.
    NTFTC

I didn't do it
    Sounds suspicious all right. It was probably AZ.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    poseur.
    Hey Miraculous... Go Raiders ! .
    -Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    Sounds suspicious all right. It was probably AZ.
    This ^^^ posing as himself for a change of pace.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Gay troller. Was he parked backed in to the space?
    That would cinch it.

banned
    Sep 2010
    On the other hand, now that I think of it, I have been known, only by myself of course, to behave in a similar maner.

After driving about an hour to my favorite trail system, I'll often recline on the bunk in the back of the van, "just to listen to the end" of "Prairie Home Companion", since I was listening to it and it sounded very funny and entertaining.

The next thing I know, I open my eyes, and "This American Life" is just finishing, and Ira Glass is saying "until next week..."

Of course, the big difference between me and those other guys, is that I have no external signs, stickers, racks, etc. on my van that indicates that I am a cyclist, or anything else for that matter. Nobody can even see into the back, where my high-class bike and gear sit, unused. ( One big reason why I am one of the few mtb riders I know who have never had a bike stolen from my vehicle: no bikes are visible no bumper stickers advertising fancy bike stuff are on the exterior.

When you put such stuff on the outside of your vehicle, any crystal meth-head thief can put 2+2 together, and hazard a guess that a break-in to that vehicle will yield some stuff.

So, maybe my van does draw stares from corner dope dealers in certain parts of town (surveillance vehicle) but to thieves and fellow mtb riders, it draws a blank.

And I can nap a perfectly good Sunday away, and miss out on a great ride, undisturbed.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    And I can nap a perfectly good Sunday away, and miss out on a great ride, undisturbed.
    There's a term for this Ray, and I sympathise, it's called "Getting older"... thankfully "Wiser" is also relevant
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    There's a term for this Ray, and I sympathise, it's called "Getting older"... thankfully "Wiser" is also relevant
    Yeah, rocker, but I've ALWAYS placed high value on having a personal vehicle wherin I could take a nap. Even in my 20's.

By now, if you read my suggestion in the other thread, you should be a virtual killing machine with that cane of yours. Youtube is a treasure-trove of lethal information.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Yeah, rocker, but I've ALWAYS placed high value on having a personal vehicle wherin I could take a nap. Even in my 20's.

By now, if you read my suggestion in the other thread, you should be a virtual killing machine with that cane of yours. Youtube is a treasure-trove of lethal information.
    I am all over it Ray, just gotta sift thru a bunch of odd videos involving bare bottoms...
    It's all Here. Now.

Ray I'm similar to you in the nap department. Although I usually get to the trailhead and then head out on my ride somewhere along the way Ill stop and kick back on a boulder and enjoy some peace and quiet with nothing but beaming sun and bird sounds. Good therapy after the hustle and bustle of a work week. Hardly considered posing but its my quiet time. And it also yield some conversation as other trail users pass by. A cute hiker or two is always nice.

mtbr member
    I've heard the term "Prance Armstrong" used to describe the types who prance down to the waterfront in their team colours on the latest carbon road bikes to sip decaf soy lattes, that guy sounds like the mtb equivalent...

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I've heard the term "Prance Armstrong" used to describe the types who prance down to the waterfront in their team colours on the latest carbon road bikes to sip decaf soy lattes, that guy sounds like the mtb equivalent...
    This ^^^ is an all too common occurrence at any Starbuckles.