Thank You Home Depot- Mtbr.com

Thank You Home Depot

Dear Home Depot,
    Thank you for sending me the email regarding your recent information breach that may have compromised my credit card number. I would have rather you sent me a notice that said you didn't needlessly store my credit card information, so no compromise was possible. But I'm sure you have a "valid" reason for storing my credit card information (like the NSA) and did everything humanly possible (except learn from Target's problems) to ensure my personal information was well protected.

Dear Cub Cadet,
    Thanks so much for the leaking gas tank on my lawn tractor. Funny how a leaking molding seam isn't a manufacturing defect (even though it happened during manufacturing). Leads me to believe that the tank was designed to leak (otherwise leaking would be a defect). Did you want my mower to catch fire? Don't worry, I'm not sending a $145 for a new tank. Getting another leaking (but not defective) tank is not on my "to do" list.

swag swag like Caillou
    Aug 2014
    Well, that's horrible
    Could you seal the tank with caulk or glue, or is it to close to the hot engine?

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by mrawesome234100 View Post
    Well, that's horrible
    Could you seal the tank with caulk or glue, or is it to close to the hot engine?
    Or the metal putty, what is that called?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

EMBA Member
    I know a guy that tried to repair his gas tank with a torch (no kidding, I'm not making it up). Maybe it will go better for you than it did for him.

Fart smeller
    Wow. Read the reviews on Cub Cadets at PissedConsumer.com.

:O

Edit: Search for Cub Cadet reviews. LOTS of disgruntled people out there. Too late to take it back?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

I'm just messing with you
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Or the metal putty, what is that called?
    JB Weld

Harbor Freight has plastic welding kits Search results for: 'plastic welding'
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

I did a repair yesterday using an electric soldiering gun and some plastic from the mounting flange and am leak testing it today. Usually when you braze metal tanks they fill them with water or some other seemingly inert material (my welder buddy says completely full of gas. Really?) With a plastic tank I felt pretty save rinsing it and filling it mostly full of water with air gaps by the leaks (so water wouldn't interfere with the bonding process). We'll see how it goes.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Dear Home Depot,
    Thank you for sending me the email regarding your recent information breach that may have compromised my credit card number. I would have rather you sent me a notice that said you didn't needlessly store my credit card information, so no compromise was possible. But I'm sure you have a "valid" reason for storing my credit card information (like the NSA) and did everything humanly possible (except learn from Target's problems) to ensure my personal information was well protected.

Dear Cub Cadet,
    Thanks so much for the leaking gas tank on my lawn tractor. Funny how a leaking molding seam isn't a manufacturing defect (even though it happened during manufacturing). Leads me to believe that the tank was designed to leak (otherwise leaking would be a defect). Did you want my mower to catch fire? Don't worry, I'm not sending a $145 for a new tank. Getting another leaking (but not defective) tank is not on my "to do" list.
    As The World Turns will return after these messages...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    As The World Turns will return after these messages...
    Old Days Of Our Lives theme song
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

swag swag like Caillou
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    JB Weld

Harbor Freight has plastic welding kits Search results for: 'plastic welding'
    JB weld is great stuff!

Meatbomb
    I don't think Home Depot was storing your data. I believe their POS system was hacked and the data was being collected at the time of the card swipe.

mtbr member
    I got the home depot email also. I might take advantage of that one year free Identity Theft protection they are offering.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I don't think Home Depot was storing your data. I believe their POS system was hacked and the data was being collected at the time of the card swipe.
    would guess that's not the case. there's free money in lists that every biz is collecting and selling for profit to target markets.
    Round and round we go

swag swag like Caillou
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    would guess that's not the case. there's free money in lists that every biz is collecting and selling for profit to target markets.
    by target markets, you mean scammers? identity thiefs?

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    They do store your card numbers. They store it because 1) you can have an email attached to one so when you buy some thing the receipt is sent to you. 2) When you return something without a receipt that can use your card number to look it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

gobsmacked Moderator

Thank You Home Depot

On the bright side, between all the hacks and breaches, I have identity monitoring forever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Thank You Home Depot

Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    On the bright side, between all the hacks and breaches, I have identity monitoring forever.
    It's only free for a year...

Some other company did offer it for life though.

In this case Home Depot probably got a huge deal on the monitoring since most people will keep it once the year is over.

Wouldn't doubt it if they are paying like $3-15/ person for the 1 year of monitoring.

Thank you Pearl Izumi. I had an issue with a pair of your gloves (didn't ask for a replacement just wanted them to know I was having an issue) and your customer service blew me away (seriously that awesome). No small wonder so much of my stuff has your logo on it. I can think of a dozen companies you can improve by explaining the term "service".

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Thank You Home Depot

They only got credit card numbers and every credit card has fraud protection. They didn't get pins for debit cards. If your worried just get a new card / number. I've had a number of fraud charges on my credit cards over the years and the credit card companies flag it and call me before I even notice, then send a new card.

The last fraud charge was from radio shack for like $100. I guess it was flagged because no one really shops there any more???
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbco1975 View Post
    They only got credit card numbers and every credit card has fraud protection. They didn't get pins for debit cards. If your worried just get a new card / number. I've had a number of fraud charges on my credit cards over the years and the credit card companies flag it and call me before I even notice, then send a new card.

The last fraud charge was from radio shack for like $100. I guess it was flagged because no one really shops there any more???
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    I've also had good luck with fraudulent credit card charges being caught and removed, but I've never had a debit card compromised, and I heard that is a more difficult problem?
    It's easier to dispute a charge on a card than it is to have your paycheck replaced into your account when all of a sudden it is gone.