Life Is Short

Targert Road Bikes

Target sells road bikes only online along with a multitude of other bikes on their website.
    There are so many cheap bikes on their site, its almost unbelievable. There are people
    in China (I'm guessing) cranking out these no name bikes everyday and some people are
    actually buying them worldwide.

I'm not knocking the people who buy them as they are either poor or uneducated on purchasing anything quality, its just like an underground society of bikes that rarely see the dawn of light. The Schwinns and Magnas are Target's most popular along with Vertigo BMX bikes.

I was trolling the site to see if Target also carried the 32" jumbo cruiser but I didn't see it.

What I did see was this roadbike.

Target.com : Furniture, Baby, Electronics, Toys,...: Target

Its called the Tour de France. Whats sad is that some company decided to name the 37 lb, $250 bike after one of the most prestigious races in the world. The only plus to it is that its spec'd with all Ultegra components. J/k
    Attached Images Attached Images  

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    I'll bet Lance could win the TDF again on one of those!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I'll bet Lance could win the TDF again on one of those!
    Hahhah, it being only 20lbs more than his regular bike, I doubt it. Also it would be
    a laugh riot watching his face as he tries to do some shifting and the chain goes
    clakity clack clack and a minute later it goes into gear.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=fatcat;9502423]T............

I'm not knocking the people who buy them as they are either poor or uneducated on purchasing anything quality,...........

[url=http://www.target.com/p/tour-de-france-adult-stage-one-18-fitness-bike-yellow-white/-/..........D[/QUOTE]

Sorry, not everyone that buys a department store bike is poor an uneducated.. If I have to tell you the million reasons why it makes sense sometimes, then Op must be the uneducated one... But as an example:

1. The bike is for a kid who is just going to ride it around the neighborhood with freinds.
    2. The kid is not old enough to care or have any interest in having a higher quality bike.
    3. Mommy and Daddy are the ones that actually are buying the bike for the kid, as a lot of the members on here have obtained their bikes, mom and dad puts it on a credit card for them.
    4. The owner uses it to tool around town, go to work or go to school and it just sits locked out doors all day..
    5. It's a spare bike for when friends come over you have a spare bike..

Well that's 5 out of a million, so maybe it's the educated that buy them
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Hahhah, it being only 20lbs more than his regular bike, I doubt it. Also it would be
    a laugh riot watching his face as he tries to do some shifting and the chain goes
    That's exactly what I meant.

mtbr member
    Wait a minute. Are you saying it doesn't have the latest electric shift system. No way.
    Lance might have to do some extra doping to win on this bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    yellow rims, soooo preeeeettttyyy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexplantman View Post
    Sorry, not everyone that buys a department store bike is poor an uneducated.. If I have to tell you the million reasons why it makes sense sometimes, then Op must be the uneducated one... But as an example:

1. The bike is for a kid who is just going to ride it around the neighborhood with freinds.
    2. The kid is not old enough to care or have any interest in having a higher quality bike.
    3. Mommy and Daddy are the ones that actually are buying the bike for the kid, as a lot of the members on here have obtained their bikes, mom and dad puts it on a credit card for them.
    4. The owner uses it to tool around town, go to work or go to school and it just sits locked out doors all day..
    5. It's a spare bike for when friends come over you have a spare bike..

Well that's 5 out of a million, so maybe it's the educated that buy them
    Couldn't agree more. Why have MTB'erS become so elitist about what other people spend money on? I guess if you're coming from HighDell's POV about big box stores (and actually Target is not bad compared to WalMart) I can see the point, maybe. But saying that people are uneducated to buying a bike to tool around on - that's just being elitist. BTW, just the act of purchasing a bike is a much more educated decision than what others spend $250 on. Elitist MTB'ers spend $250 to save 100 grams of weight - which is "more intelligent"?

I don't give a sh|t what people buy or why they buy it, as people shouldn't care what I buy or why I buy things. People spend that much money on baseball cards - big whoop... it's their money, they earned it, go do it... even if all it is is printed card stock that cost 1/2 a penny to make. People spend $250 on collector stamps, toys, shoes, handbags and an array of polished turds. So what?

If people want to buy a yellow Target bike, go buy a yellow Target bike. Why should we care?
    Last edited by Dion; 07-16-2012 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i dont care if they buy a target bike.

i have a problem with target claiming/implying anything they sell is race ready.

Forge Men's CTS 1000 19" Road Racing Bike - Grap... : Target

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    You can race this bike. Not going to get you anywhere, but theoretically, it is "race-ready".

Read the reviews - everybody's happy with what they bought. That's all that counts - can MTB'ers get off their high horse already? Worse than roadies.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    You can race this bike. Not going to get you anywhere, but theoretically, it is "race-ready".
    True...real life confirmation of something similar this morning.
    I did a road race and there was a guy on a Firenze GL5000 (early 80's "road bike" that department stores would give away with the purchase of a TV, etc.) He had a smile on his face as he got lapped and lapped again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayne View Post
    True...real life confirmation of something similar this morning.
    I did a road race and there was a guy on a Firenze GL5000 (early 80's "road bike" that department stores would give away with the purchase of a TV, etc.) He had a smile on his face as he got lapped and lapped again.
    I had one of those for a second. I bought it for $60 last year to make as a mope-around bike.

Good for that guy! I love seeing that stuff. Racing cyclocross, you see some pretty crazy bikes out there, getting lapped and passed. Sometimes they do well!

Nobody is making fun, saying they're "uneducated" - everybody is cheering them on, ringing the cowbells and cheering. This is the type of stuff I got into mountain biking for. Not "eww, you ride/bought that?" attitude that infects MTBR too often.

mtbr member

I'm not knocking the people who buy them as they are either poor or uneducated on purchasing anything quality, its just like an underground society of bikes that rarely see the dawn of light. The Schwinns and Magnas are Target's most popular along with Vertigo BMX bikes.
    Now I'm not knocking the person that posted this as they are either ignorant or uneducated as to why anybody would buy a cheap bike......

I bought a Schwinn Varsity that I use for a commuter. paid about $200 for it and I'm perfectly happy with it. It's practical and it gets the job done and it's already paid for itself on gas saved. I don't need a nice road bike to get me to and from work, especially when I'm only on flat pavement, or the occasional sidewalk. Uneducated? I think not. I knew it was a cheap bike. that's why I bought it. If I was more interested in road biking I might have bought something better, but I'm not, so I didn't.

Granted I wouldn't buy something this cheap when it comes to mountain biking for obvious safety and life preservation reasons. I don't want a cheap bike from Wal-Mart between me and the All-Mighty when I'm barreling down the mountain.

meow meow
    i would use it to tool around campus or town or whatever. my bet is most people that buy one of those bikes does the same. i doubt many people buy one of those and think they are getting what the pros on the tour ride.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I've gotta agree with Dion and alexplantman on this one. Can't we just let a dead horse be dead? Seriously why the hell does it matter what other people choose to ride?

see me rollin, they hatin
    ya know....i actually like the way that bike looks. i LOVE yellow anything!!!
    fap

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    yellow is the second-fastest color, after orange.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    yellow is the second-fastest color, after orange.
    I'd hate to see how slow I'd be without my orange bike

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    I'd hate to see how slow I'd be without my orange bike
    why'n'cha trade with me for my white one for a while and find out?

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    why'n'cha trade with me for my white one for a while and find out?
    Whatcha got? I like riding different bikes

Life Is Short
    What I meant was poor or uneducated, literally. Not bike educated and wanting to get something that you can you to putter around with or for the kids birthday (they usually change their minds about things at a drop of a hat)

But I meant it seriously. Poor as I live in Los Angeles, where there are 1000's of immigrants who buy Magna mountain bikes to get to work because either they don't want to use the bus or work strange hours. Poor also meaning people who collect cans and bottles that ride Magnas or junkers
    that were given to them.

Also I meant uneducated as in people who can afford to go to a bike shop and buy a decent bike
    but end up buying a Magna or Vertical. Like my cousin-in-law's sister who makes six figures a year
    that bought Kevin a $79.99 Vertical BMX in 2009, a bike that weighs as much as 2 Specialized Rockhoppers.

So that was my meaning. Poor as ones making under $28,000 or poverty stature, being the bread winner in the family & needing something with 2 wheels.
    And uneducated as those who are educated in other fields but not educated in bicycles, but
    rather spend $$$ on iphones. or hot tubs or family trips to Hawaii. And they certainly are not members of mtbr or are bike saavy in any way shape or form. Kinda like my mom, bless her heart. She has over $700,000 in the bank but wants me to weed wack
    her yard every time I come over for a visit. Phew! Get a gardner, lady!

By the way, young Kevin stopped riding the Vertical BMX bike and its rusting by the backyard fence. According to him, he got tired of it and it kept breaking.
    In my young life, my folks bought me a Schwinn Ram Horn Sting Ray. It was a bike
    shop bike and was of good quality. I rode that bike until I was 13 from age 8. Now 5
    years ain't nothing when you are an adult, but 5 years with children is a loooonnnng time. If there were Target bikes back in 1971, it would have ended up like Kevin's bike,
    rusting in the backyard after a year.
    Last edited by fatcat; 07-16-2012 at 07:25 PM.

mtbr member
    What I meant was poor or uneducated, literally. Not bike educated and wanting to get something that you can you to putter around with or for the kids birthday (they usually change their minds about things at a drop of a hat)

But I meant it seriously. Poor as I live in Los Angeles, where there are 1000's of immigrants who buy Magna mountain bikes to get to work because either they don't want to use the bus or work strange hours. Poor also meaning people who collect cans and bottles that ride Magnas or junkers
    that were given to them.

Also I meant uneducated as in people who can afford to go to a bike shop and buy a decent bike
    but end up buying a Magna or Vertical. Like my cousin-in-law's sister who makes six figures a year
    that bought Kevin a $79.99 Vertical BMX in 2009, a bike that weighs as much as 2 Specialized Rockhoppers.

So that was my meaning. Poor as ones making under $28,000 or poverty stature, being the bread winner in the family & needing something with 2 wheels.
    And uneducated as those who are educated in other fields but not educated in bicycles, but
    rather spend $$$ on iphones. or hot tubs or family trips to Hawaii. And they certainly are not members of mtbr or are bike saavy in any way shape or form. Kinda like my mom, bless her heart. She has over $700,000 in the bank but wants me to weed wack

By the way, young Kevin stopped riding the Vertical BMX bike and its rusting by the backyard fence. According to him, he got tired of it and it kept breaking.
    In my young life, my folks bought me a Schwinn Ram Horn Sting Ray. It was a bike
    shop bike and was of good quality. I rode that bike until I was 13 from age 8. Now 5
    years ain't nothing when you are an adult, but 5 years with children is a loooonnnng time. If there were Target bikes back in 1971, it would have ended up like Kevin's bike,
    You are seriously digging yourself a hole here. Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the fact that people may buy cheap bikes because they just want a cheap bike? I did and I'm bike savvy and a member of mtbr.

When i was bike shopping for a commuter i could have bought a Crosstrail, Bodega, or even a Madone if I wanted. The fact is it didn't seem practical to spend that much on a bike I was only going to ride to work, or pull a bike trailer with my kid in tow. so i bought a cheap Schwinn from Wal-Mart for $200. Even though I make a pretty decent salary I still understand the value of a dollar, or in this case thousands of dollars.

When my kid gets old enough I'm not going to drop hundreds of dollars for a bike they will grow out of, or might not even care about. I will wait until they show a genuine interest(if at all). I would rather buy 3 bikes that are $100 to replace then 1 bike that is $500.

Buying an expensive bike just because you can is idiotic.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008

that were given to them.

I collect bottles and cans for two reasons:

Number one, I wanted my fvcken deposit money back (yes, it adds up)
    Number two, Trying to do my part to keep pollution down to a minimum

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Whatcha got? I like riding different bikes
    You don't want to try this one. It's pretty much a Target bike.

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I collect bottles and cans for two reasons:

Number one, I wanted my fvcken deposit money back (yes, it adds up)
    Number two, Trying to do my part to keep pollution down to a minimum
    my wife refuses to put bottles and cans into the recycling trash can because she thinks its bogus PR that the city uses to money to lower property taxes

what the heck I throw them into the bin anyways

collecting the bottles and cans does add up, but I'm too lazy
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    You are seriously digging yourself a hole here. Is it really that hard to wrap your head around the fact that people may buy cheap bikes because they just want a cheap bike? I did and I'm bike savvy and a member of mtbr.

I didn't dig any hole, I just said poor folks and uneducated shoppers buy Target bikes. You are the small percentage of bike saavy that decided to buy a Target Schwinn.
    I think Kevin would still be into riding today if his mom spent a bit more than $79.99 on his first bike, if you ever bought one they are messed up from the moment you take it
    out of the box.

I bought one for my niece a few years ago (she just wanted something to ride) So I spent $89.99 for a Target mini mountain bike for girls with shifters. Well after a week or so, the
    boat anchor couldn't shift to save its life, the brake levers were meant for men's hands
    and the bike was only good on the flats. Its a total failure for any kid who wants to get into biking.

When I worked at a bike shop, kids would bring in these bikes and ask how much a tune up was. $25 was a bit high for a bike like that so I did some freebie adjustments. All of the time I couldn't even get the things to shift properly and the brakes...well were almost non-existent. Spending a little more could get today's kids from being addicted to video games.

Fast forward to this year. My niece is now attending college. For her 17th, I bought her a Schwinn hardtail disc Mesa mountain bike. It was $400 from a LBS. She took it with her to college with a big lock! She's very happy with it. The Target bike was hauled away for
    trash. She told me she never did like the bike in all honesty. It was too heavy and never
    shifted right.
    Last edited by fatcat; 07-17-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    You don't want to try this one. It's pretty much a Target bike.
    What!?!? You mean you didn't spend $1000+ on your bike!?!? Oh the horror!!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    What!?!? You mean you didn't spend $1000+ on your bike!?!? Oh the horror!!
    I bring deep shame and dishonor on myself and my household.

mtbr member
    Just don't cry at the bike shop when it costs $50 to fix that $79.99 P.O.S. Go ahead gimme neg rep I dont give a #$@$!

Titanium junkie
    We have a winner^^^
    Somebody's got some anger issues.
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post

Buying an expensive bike just because you can is idiotic.

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    We have a winner^^^
    Somebody's got some anger issues.
    well its a very angry avatar
    fap

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    you know I have to chime in here too, I may not make a lot of money, in fact I fall into the poor catagory. But that aside, even if I did have the money to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on my kids first bikes, I would still choose to go to walmart, target or some other place and buy a cheap bike because they are still growing and it does not make sense to me to spend a ton of money on something that will be disposed of in a couple of years anyway. Once they stop growing and if they want a better quality bike, then I will save up for one for them and let them pick it out. for now, they go to walmart and pick out the bike they want and we set the price limit.

My current bike is a walmart bike bought off craigslist. I bought it because I wanted a cheap bike that I could use to ride with the kids to get some excersise with. I have put some money into it to fix things as the have broke, but that is par for the course. I knew what I was getting, and I specificly seeked this bike out because I knew what I wanted and what I was gonna do with it. It didnt matter to me that it was not a high quality bike, I just needed a bike and quick for as little money as I could spend. 3 years later the bike is still working just fine and does what I need it to.

Just my take on all this... who cares what someone rides, we all gotta start some where, and if it gets them into the sport, then great let them ride it in peace till they decide that they want to upgrade.

I am sure that most everyone is not furtunate enough to start out with a $1000 bike, and after you hit that point, you forget where you started at. Some of you may still have that bike that got you into the sport. As for me, I have a few more minor fixes to my bike before my purchase of a good quality bike in the next 12- 18 months. After I get my new bike, I am planning on giving my bike to one of my kids so he can enjoy it till he is ready for the next step.
    2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (My DD)
    2006 Mongoose XR-75 with a few goodies
    2010 Kia Sedona (GFs DD)

RIP 2000 Jeep XJ RIP

Members who have read this thread: 0