T Romo / T Woods- Mtbr.com
    nvphatty

T Romo / T Woods

Romo soon to be if not already retired and a mention of broadcasting. Woods on the other hand in rehab mode yet again for his ailing back.

These two professional athletes have reached the epitome of their respective sports, however along the way their bodies have endured the abuse, commitment required to be top tier but the door that leads them to retirement from their respective sports much like any before them, while one(romo) is through it and woods in denial of whats soon to come. Both bodies have become fragile and will pay dearly 10-20yrs from now.

As a fan of both along with numerous others in the sports world I become perplexed by Tigers refusal to take his rightful place among golfs greatest and state 'my body has had enough'.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You sure Woods damage is entirely from golf? I mean, he had another "hobby" that can be straining, and required dodging 2 irons

Meatbomb
    Tiger was impressive when he first entered the sport... Once he lost the respect of the fans his days were and are numbered.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    You sure Woods damage is entirely from golf? I mean, he had another "hobby" that can be straining, and required dodging 2 irons
    my efforts to leave personal criteria out were done purposely so people could focus, would you care to use my spectacles sir??

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Tiger was impressive when he first entered the sport... Once he lost the respect of the fans his days were and are numbered.
    Several years went by with his domination of mens pro golf not just when he entered the sport...however eventually he managed to loose fan respect by his own choices.

western NC
    Plenty of golfers play well into their 60's, even 70's. Something is up with Tiger.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Plenty of golfers play well into their 60's, even 70's. Something is up with Tiger.
    play well is 1 aspect, to win majors and be atop the heap is yet another conversation. His role towards successfully passing Jack was within site 5yrs ago, alas it won't happen due to his body giving up.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 04-05-2017 at 09:59 AM.

western NC
    I completely understand your point. All our bodies will start giving up the ghost at some point, it's inevitable. And sometimes, shit just happens. The only difference being what's at stake for them vs the normal joe schmoe. What exactly happened to his back anyway? And was it 100% related to golfing to all those years? Golf doesn't seem like a sport where your body would wear out. And all the 80 year olds on the local course would back up my teory.

nvphatty
    I completely understand your point. All our bodies will start giving up the ghost at some point, it's inevitable. And sometimes, shit just happens. The only difference being what's at stake for them vs the normal joe schmoe. What exactly happened to his back anyway? And was it 100% related to golfing to all those years? Golf doesn't seem like a sport where your body would wear out. And all the 80 year olds on the local course would back up my theory.
    yea them freekin ghosts gonna come around sooner. As to the specifics of his low back injuries i haven't a clue and if you've ever watched an interview of tiger he's quite secretive with media, candid is not a word in his vocabulary......although @ some point in his retirement years, biography, memoirs etc he may reveal such. After multiple surgeries for both tiger and tony the body ceases to rehab and perform as we would like.....IMO tony has made a wise choice to go about his life while able and still be involved as a broadcaster.

IMO, Tiger's troubles started when he hit the weights so he could try and continue playing long ball with the youngsters.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    IMO, Tiger's troubles started when he hit the weights so he could try and continue playing long ball with the youngsters.
    Dude looks like he's 40-50lbs heavier than he was when he first came into the scene.

Adding more muscle/force to an already violent motion, and doing it hundreds or thousands of times a week? Seems like a recipe for injury.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

nvphatty
    his ability to hit long ball has never been in question with or without weights. He used weights very early on in his career and continued on as part of his fitness program, did he go to extremes?? no clue.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Dude looks like he's 40-50lbs heavier than he was when he first came into the scene.

Adding more muscle/force to an already violent motion, and doing it hundreds or thousands of times a week? Seems like a recipe for injury.
    he's definitely heavier (as are we all with age) but as active a person as he is perhaps 15lbs at best from his early years. As you mention the thousands of repetitions each week, month after month...then injury showed itself, surgery, rehab and the drive to be the very best has become his demise.

western NC
    15lbs? Sheeeet, he's easily put on 25-30lbs of lean muscle over the years. He's pretty jacked at this point. He used to be very lean, skinny even, and you can easily tell he lifts now. Lots of speculation that all the weight training played a part in his downfall.

As for those ghosts, tell me about it. The shoulder I had bolted back together some years back reminds me anytime a bike or moto ride lasts a little too long. I've slowly been getting back into some weight training to see if it will help. No desire to bulk up though, I've worked hard to get my weight back down after giving up smoking years ago.

nvphatty
    I've worked hard to get my weight back down after giving up smoking years ago.
    giving up the cancer sticks for someone who is addicted is tough so congrats to ya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That theory has been out there for a while but another one I heard from golf pros on TV is that his swing motion was "too violent" and has led to the back issues. Also the other thing that does not get taken into consideration is that we can be all we can be but we cannot hide from our genes. It just may be that his body, like so many other athletes diminished in their prime, just could not handle the abuse required to keep the talent at optimum output.

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    giving up the cancer sticks for someone who is addicted is tough so congrats to ya.
    Thanks! Best thing I've ever done, second best was getting back into cycling.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    That theory has been out there for a while but another one I heard from golf pros on TV is that his swing motion was "too violent" and has led to the back issues. Also the other thing that does not get taken into consideration is that we can be all we can be but we cannot hide from our genes. It just may be that his body, like so many other athletes diminished in their prime, just could not handle the abuse required to keep the talent at optimum output.
    this could very well be, however we do see hundreds of others with a variety of swing techniques with some violent and some more passive or fluid with excellent results, a good analogy would be to compare madison b to clayton k and the distinct difference between the 2 deliveries as pitchers.