The Submarine Thread- Mtbr.com
    Meatbomb

The Submarine Thread

I've always been interested in the US Sub Fleet.....

How one ran into a mountain :

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/re...ountain-164143

Straight out tha traila
    Wow that's crazy!

I've had the awesome opportunity to spend a few days on a USN nuclear sub, one of the most amazing trips in my life ever. I especially like sleeping with my head next to a nuclear warhead!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I used to jet ski in San Diego Bay. I actually came within 200’ of the dry docked military subs. Pretty scary and unnerving that I came that close to them without being shot. The propellers were always covered for spy security reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

A waste of time it is is
    Incredible tale Philbo, thanks.

I used to jet ski in San Diego Bay. I actually came within 200’ of the dry docked military subs. Pretty scary and unnerving that I came that close to them without being shot. The propellers were always covered for spy security reasons.
    You mean like the way we hid the keel from you lot back in 1983?

The Submarine Thread-like-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Damn. There's something really spooky about submarines...flying or being in orbit is kinda similar how little room for error there is but being deep underwater sounds a lot more terrifying somehow.

I used to live 2-3 miles from the Bangor sub base near Seattle. I'd occasionally see one coming or going - pretty cool. Supposedly that base has more nuclear weapons than anywhere else on the planet.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    OK, so are they “seamen” or “submariners”??? (the folks who inhabit submarines, that is)
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    OK, so are they “seamen” or “submariners”??? (the folks who inhabit submarines, that is)
    I would say both, they are a subclass (pardon the pun, or not) of seamen called submariners.

The Submarine Thread-a3e359aa-e31c-4d22-a83c-c7e0af2185c6.jpeg
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My wife, dad, and brother all worked at the sub base in San Diego. My wife use to park next to the floating dry dock DJ was talking about.

One ring to mash them all
    In HS my buddy's dad would drive us to the Pt. Loma sub base and we'd fish from the dock right next to the subs and sub tenders. Different times.

I've worked on submarine comms systems. That's all I have to say about that.

Where I walk my dogs, at the old Naval Training Center, there are 2 long rows of monuments dedicated to submarines lost at sea (primarily WWII, of course). On the actual or estimated date of a boat's loss, an American flag is placed at that monument; so I make a note of its name and go home to read about it.

They're very slowly being found:

Lost 52 Project | New York, NY 10028
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My dad enlisted late 1940's after dropping out of High School after his parents died. He was a diesel mechanic on Subs but hearing the Navy was going Nuke and starting the Nuclear Power School he talked an Admiral into letting him be in the first Nuke School class. There were only a few students including Jimmy Carter and at that time the school was in Idaho. He spent a decade chasing Russian subs around the Atlantic

He spent his last years of service running the Tenders in San Diego retired in 1971 (after 2 years running the maintenance program for River Patrol Boats in Vietnam 68-70).

RE accidents he was supposed to be onboard the Thresher but some circumstance got him off the roster the sub sank in 1963 1 month after I was born.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/mil...ubmarine-sink/

Mtn Biker Machinist
    I teach high school machining & engineering in Ogden, Utah. In 2005 I was invited by the local Navy recruiter to tour the submarine dry docks and repair facility, A & B schools & Naval Amphibious Base Coronado with several other Career and Technical Education teachers.

The machine shop & dry dock facility was pretty amazing! The machines they used to repair the submarines are big enough I could stand inside them.

We saw the USS Salt Lake City before it was decommissioned, as well as the USS Ogden.

My dad is retired Air Force, so I’ve always been interested in all things military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    Good friend of mine was a navy cryptographer for awhile. There's a TON he still can't talk about. He works in cybersecurity nowadays.

mtbr member
    I owned a small nuclear ballistic sub for a few years. Continuous upkeep, really only used it on the weekends. They depreciate the minute you sail them out of the shipyard. Sold it for a loss to N. Korea. Terrible investment.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

This thread is going under water.

My job got me a 1-week stint on Adak Island (it was 3 days of work but commercial flights only went in & out once a week). During down time we toured around and did some fishing and sightseeing (as much as the constant cloud cover would allow). There are still remnants of the submarine pens the Japanese built in WWII during a brief takeover.

Project Azorian is a fascinating subject about the U.S. attempts to recover a sunken Soviet submarine in the Pacific. There's a documentary on Amazon Prime, Azorian: The Raising of the K-129.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    My job got me a 1-week stint on Adak Island (it was 3 days of work but commercial flights only went in & out once a week). During down time we toured around and did some fishing and sightseeing (as much as the constant cloud cover would allow). There are still remnants of the submarine pens the Japanese built in WWII during a brief takeover.

Project Azorian is a fascinating subject about the U.S. attempts to recover a sunken Soviet submarine in the Pacific. There's a documentary on Amazon Prime, Azorian: The Raising of the K-129.
    I remember that one of the few things my Dad talked about his time in the UDT/SEAL Teams was a trip north to experiment with the tolerances of the human body to arctic ocean conditions below the ice. They were the first (and maybe the last, for all I know), to attempt that kind of stuff. "Frogs under the Ice" ; sounds like a good name for an action story.

While they were up there, they would take breaks at places nearby. I remember him mentioning Adak as one of them. Not the kind of place that I would want to live.
    Just call me Ray

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    While they were up there, they would take breaks at places nearby. I remember him mentioning Adak as one of them. Not the kind of place that I would want to live.
    I like to joke that I spent a month there one week. I think we had 4 hours of sunshine total. We were able to get in some fishing for halibut on a boat owned by one of the enlisted guys stationed there. The boats would change hands as USN & USCG personnel rotated in & out. We caught some halibut in the 15-25 lb. range and had the meat frozen & shipped home. Also caught some cod that we sent home, and the Navy guy was shocked that we didn't just use it for bait.

Thinking back, with all the unpaved roads, that place would be a gravel grinder's dream. You'd get fined into oblivion if you got caught treading on the tundra, though.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Meatbomb

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Submarine Thread-4691e22d-9488-4b54-82c3-e8e9810cece5.jpg
    On my ride a few months ago, sorry only had phone cam

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey One Ring, I lived on Adak and my brother and sister were born there. That was in the 50's. They were up to some sneaky stuff on that island back then.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    This is my kind of Sub!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Cake, anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Submarine Thread-a563nt7888.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    You mean like the way we hid the keel from you lot back in 1983?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	like this.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	1346207
    Damn you and your winged keels.

We always sailed over by the sub drydocks on point Loma. We have tons of pictures of the subs coming and going from their but they are photographs, not digital. But those are all the baby fast attack boats. I have seen the big Ohio class up in Washington by our friends house on Hoods Canal.

mtbr member
    Favorite sub movie? "Hunt for Red October", "Run Silent, Run Deep" or "Down Periscope"? Or a movie that involves a submarine "The Russians are Coming"?

Hunt for Red October. ^

I would hope that some of you have gone to the submarine races, I know I have.

The Submarine Thread-ceb8916d-fffb-45e3-b5da-30745acd4b7c.jpg
    The Submarine Thread-d2cd60b8-3857-42d4-ba97-ccb057b756a3.jpg

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Favorite sub movie? "Hunt for Red October", "Run Silent, Run Deep" or "Down Periscope"? Or a movie that involves a submarine "The Russians are Coming"?
    Hunt for Red October

Is that even a question?

mtbr member
    After Red October I built all kinds of model subs. I have a wood rubber band powered "sub". Works great.

Love that movie.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Das Boot

mtbr member
    Best sub tv show: Voyage to the Bottom of the SeA: https://youtu.be/39u2y-wYgPQ

Best sub song: One of Our Sumarines https://youtu.be/8OsZTJ5vfUs

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I totally forgot voyage to the bottom of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Das Boot
    ^This

BTW, that's pretty cool about living on Adak and even having siblings born there.
    Go Fact Yourself.

No known cure
    I was on one a couple times at Disneyland, back when it was normal and not PC. Fun fact for the day. Mountain bike legend Dan Hannebrink designed and built all the mechanicals and animitronics there in the early 70's after the first gen infratructure rotted. The hippo coming out of the water on the Jungle Book ride, that was Dan's design.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

No known cure
    I will live in Montana. And I will marry a round American woman and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pickup truck... maybe even a "recreational vehicle." And drive from state to state. Do they let you do that?

Mtn Biker Machinist

The Submarine Thread

Careful what you shoot at Ryan, most things in here don’t react well to bullets.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Das Boot
    This...

Great movie! Hunt for Red October is a solid number 2 in the Sub warfare genre.

well mannered lout
    I used to buy honey from a guy who had been arrested and jailed for damaging a Trident sub as part of a protest at Electric Boat in the 80s.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

Your Best Friend
    In HS my buddy's dad would drive us to the Pt. Loma sub base and we'd fish from the dock right next to the subs and sub tenders. Different times.

I've worked on submarine comms systems. That's all I have to say about that.

Where I walk my dogs, at the old Naval Training Center, there are 2 long rows of monuments dedicated to submarines lost at sea (primarily WWII, of course). On the actual or estimated date of a boat's loss, an American flag is placed at that monument; so I make a note of its name and go home to read about it.

They're very slowly being found:

Lost 52 Project | New York, NY 10028
    My Great Uncle William Jack Brasch was on the USS Grayback. When they announced that they'd found it on Veterans day last fall, that was an amazing moment for our family. I immediately called my grandmother who is 89 and told her that her brother had been found. She was so happy but I think she cried for the rest of the day. She barely knew her brother as he was quite a bit older. She said she wished her dad could have known as he took his sons disappearance very hard. Such a cool story how they discovered that sub.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I tried reading a book about submarines once. It was too deep for me.

The book Blind Man's Bluff is a great book detailing the role of submarines in Cold War espionage. The US was doing some crazy spooky stuff that leaves you shaking your head -- like sailing underwater INTO Soviet naval bases and tap into undersea comm cables.

US Submarine NR-! was designed and built as a spy sub. Sort of an underwater SR71.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is a really good non-fiction book about 2 divers who found a sunken German U-Boat 60 miles off the New Jersey coast in 1991.

mtbr member
    I have watched a couple of cool documentaries on submarines recently. they were new but I had not seen them before.

"Azorian: The Raising of the K-129", the attempted raising of K129 by Howard Hughes and "U-455: The Mystery of the Lost Submarine"
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Totally forgot about Crimson Tide (Gene Hackman, Denzel Washington).
    Go Fact Yourself.

Meatbomb
    Crazy ivan !!!!

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    I tried reading a book about submarines once. It was too deep for me.

The book Blind Man's Bluff is a great book detailing the role of submarines in Cold War espionage. The US was doing some crazy spooky stuff that leaves you shaking your head -- like sailing underwater INTO Soviet naval bases and tap into undersea comm cables.

US Submarine NR-! was designed and built as a spy sub. Sort of an underwater SR71.
    Thanks for that... Just ordered the book.

well mannered lout
    There was a made for TV movie about the Hunley, probably done for one of the Turner networks.
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

And then there's the "theory" about a secret submarine base in Nevada, accessible by a secret ~200 mile underground channel starting in the Pacific ocean off of Malibu, whose entrance might be from an ancient alien…

…oh never mind. Google it if you're interested.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Black Sea...

Had to look it up; happened to randomly watch it and was sh$tting my trousers. Fiction, but damn scary scenario in the end.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    That suggestion sounds like the entrance to big ‘ol rabbit hole!

mtbr member
    And then there's the "theory" about a secret submarine base in Nevada, accessible by a secret ~200 mile underground channel starting in the Pacific ocean off of Malibu, whose entrance might be from an ancient alien…

Know a guy who claims to have first hand knowledge of this. Pyramid lake is supposed to be connected to the caverns.

Totally forgot about crimson tide. Another great movie.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    There was a made for TV movie about the Hunley, probably done for one of the Turner networks.
    Read the first hand account of Clive Cussler finding it in his book, "The Sea Hunters".

mtbr member
    U-571.

Damn good movie.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003

There also is the long lost pirate ship in the Mojave desert. Sailed up the Colorado River and got stranded when the river suddenly changed course, and over time became almost completely buried by sand and is now many miles from the present river, treasure chests filled with booty just waiting to be found... oh wait -- that is a tall tale from miners sitting around the campfire...

OTOH -- there is a chain of pirate themed restaurants/bars along the River that have that legend (and other whimsical stories) printed on their menu.

Mtn Biker Machinist

The Submarine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    There also is the long lost pirate ship in the Mojave desert. Sailed up the Colorado River and got stranded when the river suddenly changed course, and over time became almost completely buried by sand and is now many miles from the present river, treasure chests filled with booty just waiting to be found... oh wait -- that is a tall tale from miners sitting around the campfire...

OTOH -- there is a chain of pirate themed restaurants/bars along the River that have that legend (and other whimsical stories) printed on their menu.
    Isn’t that the story line for Sahara, just not in the Mojave?

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Know a guy who claims to have first hand knowledge of this. Pyramid lake is supposed to be connected to the caverns..
    Old conspiracy theory -- underwater submarine pens on San Nicolas Island which is owned by the Navy. Exotic weapons and ship designs are tested in the underground labs. Sort of the Navy version of Area 51.

As for movies, don't forget Operation Petticoat, with Cary Grant and Tony Curtis.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Isn’t that the story line for Sahara, just not in the Mojave?
    I think it was a Clive Cussler book that included an underground section of the Colorado River flowing out to the gulf of CA.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    My Great Uncle William Jack Brasch was on the USS Grayback. When they announced that they'd found it on Veterans day last fall, that was an amazing moment for our family. I immediately called my grandmother who is 89 and told her that her brother had been found. She was so happy but I think she cried for the rest of the day. She barely knew her brother as he was quite a bit older. She said she wished her dad could have known as he took his sons disappearance very hard. Such a cool story how they discovered that sub.

Just read the story. Thanks for sharing.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    Blind Man's Bluff is a great read. One of the stories in this book details Operation Ivy Bells.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Ivy_Bells

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post

Sorry for the doggie photobomb.

High-def pic here.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Awesome. I'ma try and look that up when I'm down there tomorrow AM.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Jus' Lye' 'Dat!
    Just call me Ray

Your Best Friend

Sorry for the doggie photobomb.

High-def pic here.
    Very cool. You can see my great uncle's name there. I went to the WW2 museum a couple years ago and they have a pretty lame submarine exhibit even though they tried to make it interesting. What was neat though is as you walk out, they have a wall with all of the missing submariners names. It was nice to find him there. On the same trip I also visited Gettysburg and found my Great Great Grandfather's units memorial at the bottom of Big Round Top. He was in the 5th Michigan Infantry.

I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Thats a boat trailer!
    Well, That's One Way To Tow a 2,300-Ton Submarine

According to Iranian language media, the submarine is traveling from the Iran Shipbuilding & Offshore Industries Complex (ISOICO) back to its base at Bandar Abbas, a distance of about 15 miles. For some reason, the submarine can’t make the trip by water and must travel over land. Joseph Dempsey, a research associate at the International Institute for Strategic Studies, says the submarine was apparently hoisted out of the water at ISOICO in February/Mach.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    Coming soon to Apple TV
    Don’t frail and blow if you’re going to Braille and Flow.

The Submarine Thread-1ef1bb30-6512-4eca-8d99-da89705170f9.jpeg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yesterday on way home, sorry, only phone again
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Submarine Thread-76c7ad3f-9272-4761-82e3-a0183879893a.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ nice picture.