The strange behavior of dogs...- Mtbr.com
    Meatbomb

The strange behavior of dogs...

Lexi as it turns out is afraid of lightening and thunder. When a storm blows through she does some strange things. She goes into the master bath and tries to dig under the bath mats. She tries all 3 and then hides behind the toilet until the storm passes.

I bought a small dog bed and wedged it behind the toilet. A couple nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night to a thunder storm blowing through and Lexi not in bed. I looked in her dog cave (cage she loves so much) and then the bathroom and saw that all the bath mats were wadded up. I found her comfortably snoozing on her new dog bed behind the toilet - dogs are strange some times.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Lexi as it turns out is afraid of lightening and thunder. When a storm blows through she does some strange things. She goes into the master bath and tries to dig under the bath mats. She tries all 3 and then hides behind the toilet until the storm passes.

I bought a small dog bed and wedged it behind the toilet. A couple nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night to a thunder storm blowing through and Lexi not in bed. I looked in her dog cave (cage she loves so much) and then the bathroom and saw that all the bath mats were wadded up. I found her comfortably snoozing on her new dog bed behind the toilet - dogs are strange some times.
    Yes they are.

It is nice you have made the effort to help accommodate her response to her fear of the storms.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    I've got a black lab that also freaks with thunder and lightning. We use Rescue Remedy Pet: Natural Stress Relief.

This is the same dog that loves to go bird hunting, and can have shotguns go off over his head all day...loves it.

My rottweiler is afraid of blue buckets. Not white, or green or black or grey, just blue, and supposedly, she shouldn't be able to tell the difference between most of those colors.

Dogs are weird.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Meatbomb
    Thanks for the tip on the Rescue Remedy. I had never heard of that.

Born With A Tail
    You can also try a thundershirt.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Glide the Clyde View Post
    Yes they are.

It is nice you have made the effort to help accommodate her response to her fear of the storms.
    Clyde I'm surprised at you. This is the kindest thing I've ever heard you say.

Dogs have such sensitive hearing that thunderstorms and fireworks must feel like WWIII to them.

The strange behavior of dogs: My buddy Bandit who passed away a couple of years ago at the age of 15.5 years. We had several pet rabbits who he guarded with his life. He showed so much effection towards them that if we weren't paying attention he'd lick them to death, LOL. Yet wild rabbits were his favorite pass time in catching. I'm not sure if he would have killed one if he caught it. They always had an escape route under a building or through a fence. Strange indeed.

He sensed wild creatures to pet creatures. He hated what he thought were wild cats and would on occasion late at night catch one jumping over the fence and through the yard and kill it. Yet I'd take him to my sisters house where there were two pet cats and he would just ignore them. Strange indeed.

He loved all domestic dogs yet would fight coyotes any chance he got. Strange indeed. Half Doberman and half Border Collie he had smarts to spare. My X owened him as a puppy and I came into his life when he was 3 years old. Before I was in the picture my X also had a wolf / husky hybrid puppy. He was too wild and paced the fence line constantly, she ended up giving him away to wander an avocado ranch. Which would be a great life for such a creature. Bandit was a couple years old and the wolf hybrid just 6 months old when this happened. The wolf puppy escaped the back yard and wandered down the block. My x was at work when it happened. The neighbor witnessed Bandit running down the block and catching the wolf puppy and biting the nape [top of his neck] and dragged him back and into the back yard. The neighbor ran over and secured the lose gate. That was the Border Collie [herder] in him. Dogs do strange things.

Here he is at 10 years old.

Name:  IMG_3151.JPG
Views: 200
Size:  83.9 KB
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 08-16-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Train View Post
    You can also try a thundershirt.
    I've tried that approach and it did not appear to calm her in any way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    I've tried that approach and it did not appear to calm her in any way.
    ^ yeah, it didn't work for our dog either.

We have a new rescue dog, and it is a nervous wreck when anything resembling thunder is heard, even if it is just a faint rumble way off. Haven't tried the Rescue Remedy, but might be worth a shot, before we move on to harder drugs. I mean, she looks like she's about to have a nervous breakdown, or a heart attack.

My stepmom had a German Shepard that would get into the bathtub during storms. Pretty smart I thought.

mtbr member
    I suspect dogs are innately afraid of lightning as a sirvival mechanism much like (most) humans to snakes. I've never met a dog that didn't react in fear to thunder yet as mentioned can tolerate shot guns. I've also never owned a dog that didn't fear heights. Not cliff edges but bridges & trestles & such. When walking a dog close to a bridge edge & they realize the drop they always freeze and crouch down before regaining their composure & situational awareness.

Man, I miss real thunderstorms. We don't get them west of the cascades. Also really looking forward to having a dog again some day.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    my dog either jumps into my bed or hides under coffee table whenever there is thunder, lightning.

Meatbomb
    I wish mine would find me as comfort in bed but she leaves the bed for the comfort of the toilet instead.

Yeah!
    Our pup was reacting poorly to thunder and lightning, so I started taking him to the porch when weather approached. Let him sit on my lap and held him in 'protection mode' the first time. Four or five sessions later, he's fine with loud noises and bright flashes except for some suspicious eyeballing.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    I thought this was going to be a thread about dogs eating "kitty roca".

As a kid my dog did not like thunder or fireworks, under the dining room table was her choice of refuge.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    I suspect dogs are innately afraid of lightning as a sirvival mechanism much like (most) humans to snakes. I've never met a dog that didn't react in fear to thunder
    My other 2 dogs dog couldn't care less about thunderstorms. They'll be laying there sleeping, never bat an eye, while the new one is uncontrollably shivering right next to them.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    I thought this was going to be a thread about dogs eating "kitty roca".

As a kid my dog did not like thunder or fireworks, under the dining room table was her choice of refuge.
    I thought this thread was about "the strange behavior of dogs". Not the strange behavior of dogs when thunder arrives only.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Well, my little guy (6 lbs) has no fear of thunder or fireworks. But he does like to go on the bed and get under the blanket.

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Clyde I'm surprised at you. This is the kindest thing I've ever heard you say.
    Awww, now I'm all verklempt.

Hey, dogs and newbs in the Beginner forum. I hate all the rest of ya.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    my dog just sits there like he doesnt hear the thunder. but his eyes are wide open. We went camping when we first got him, he was about 2. He was a rescue and I doubt his previous owners ever did anything like that. in the evening there was a big thunderstorm that rolled through and a tree about 80-100ft away was struck. He just stared with giant eyes. no shaking nothing. Im not sure if it was so traumatic and doesnt bother him now or what.

But is still terrified of the cat...
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

9 lives
    The strange behavior of dogs...-20882406_303126370151806_5575942613774828421_n.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

All fat, all the time.
    My dog as a kid hated storms, she would hide under the coffee table.
    Our great Dane isn't bothered at all.

Weird thing, doing projects around the house, if I turn on the air compressor (small electric one) she goes outside too the backyard to be as far away from the noise as she can. However she will hang out right beside me when I'm using a circular saw....

mtbr member
    I have a great book about dogs at home. It's called "my dog the paradox". Hilarious