State Social Distance/Stay at Home Orders...- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Jun 2005

State Social Distance/Stay at Home Orders...

Are you following them? Why? Or why not?

I am really curious what the reality is around the country. How long do you think this should continue?

mtbr member
    Funny, a neighbor and I were having this conversation this morning in our front yards.

As a general rule, we follow the standard procedures of wearing a mask around others at the store, drive-thru, or other public arenas, try to maintain a perimeter and keep our hands as clean as possible.

However, we've also had two small gatherings of close friends for brief periods of celebrations such as birthdays, all unmasked, while trying to stay apart and outdoors. Yup, not following protocol.

I fluctuate between a cautious and careful mindset, to thinking that we need to get things in working order again for the sake of the economy and our collective psyche. Let the high-risk groups stay at home, and be wary of being near them. There will be more losses, yet what a horrible way to think, right?

Basically, behaving logically or behaving out of emotion....

When I ride, I don't cover my face if I'm near others and bike by quickly at a distance.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I'm now working from home and hope I never go back to the office.
    I wear a mask in public.
    I have a private trail that I ride with a friend. We stay +6' apart.

I take this very seriously. I'm not young. I try to be smart.

Everybody will get this unless a vaccine is developed, some worse than others. I'm trying to put off the inevitable until that time and play the long game.

My life has improved since not going to the office any more. I'm pretty much a home body anyway except to ride.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

jcd's best friend
    Yep I follow them here in WA. We are allowed to ride our bikes outside so I end up road cycling or mountain biking while maintaining distance. My job also allows me to work remotely and pays me time and a half to do so. They also paid me double time to work in the office since I'm tagged as an essential employee. I only work in the office when needed. My job is over here in King County which was basically ground zero for COVID-19.
    Salsa Timberjack | Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member

poser Administrator
    I say read this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/26/h...gtype=Homepage

White, 49 year old, active, healthy, 32 days on a ventilator but lives.

I will stay home until there is actual testing available, whenever that maybe, or until I actually get the virus and survive it. It is indiscriminate and there really isn't any great indicators on whether you will have a mild flu, a hard flu, a stay in the ICU or a funeral. Sure typical underlying medical conditions pushes you towards the funeral option but then there are all the other folks that are atypical filling the morgues.

As long as I can stay employed I will not venture out unless i absolutely have to. I used instacart the other day as my previous 6 weeks of food I bought thinking that would be the extent, ran out and I needed to reload before the family started to go hungry. I walk our dog outside and run in a local graveyard where fewer people recreate. We have been dying for washington mountain biking trails to reopen but I am not sure how we would get out and ride when they do because i expect them to be packed. Maybe we will approach it like skiing and try to get there for first tracks. Maybe we will just wait it out. Four mountain bikers in the family and running isn't cutting it but the alternate of sickness, potential hospitalization, or worst case, death, is just too large of factor to consider venturing out frankly.

It might sound like a scary prospect but if you look at most of the sources that are legitimate it isn't if you get it but when. Not getting it until a vaccine is available is the best option, which is all flattening the curve is really assisting, that and overburdening the medical establishment. It is a choice I am lucky to be able to make thankfully.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

One ring to mash them all
    I'm most definitely not missing the cube farm (except for the seemingly never-ending asphalt cutting and jackhammering on the street below my house).
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I say read this article:

I will stay home until there is actual testing available, whenever that maybe, or until I actually get the virus and survive it. It is indiscriminate and there really isn't any great indicators on whether you will have a mild flu, a hard flu, a stay in the ICU or a funeral. Sure typical underlying medical conditions pushes you towards the funeral option but then there are all the other folks that are atypical filling the morgues.
    There are plenty of indicators of how bad it will be. Sure there are outliers, but they aren't filing the morgues

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    There are plenty of indicators of how bad it will be. Sure there are outliers, but they are filing the morgues
    But the point is if the outliers are unknown why expose yourself to it, in the case that you are an outlier? Especially if you have a choice. It is not like cancer where you might get it or you might not. It is a crap shoot but it is an avoidable crap shoot is it not? By staying in you lessen your chance of having to see if you will be an outlier. If your family will have to say goodbye to you over a phone that is being held be a weeping medical professional.

I have the choice, and it is a no brainer for me. Stay away from people, stay alive.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Not much change at all.
    Continuation of Conservative Lifestyle.
    Avoid crowds.
    Consolidated trips to grocery down to once every four weeks for a while.
    Enjoy the time off, reduced stress.
    Close to retirement anyway.
    No masks.
    Wash hands.
    Keep tabs on family.
    Ride bike, shoot guns, cut grass, trim shrubs, work in shop, film photography, read.
    Plenty to do.
    Life is good.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

mtbr member
    But the point is if the outliers are unknown why expose yourself to it, in the case that you are an outlier? Especially if you have a choice. It is not like cancer where you might get it or you might not. It is a crap shoot but it is an avoidable crap shoot is it not? By staying in you lessen your chance of having to see if you will be an outlier. If your family will have to say goodbye to you over a phone that is being held be a weeping medical professional.

I have the choice, and it is a no brainer for me. Stay away from people, stay alive.
    If you have any interact with the outside world, then it is not 100% avoidable. nor is waiting for a vaccine to ensure you will not die if you get it. Everyone has a risk they are willing to take. No different then the risk you take anytime you go outside your house. Lets not be overly dramatic here

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I am retired so it has not really been much of change for me.
    My wife is watching the grandkids and helping with the schoolwork while the parents keep working.

Our county does not have a single case. People are getting upset. Local government is now telling businesses they can reopen if they want and the city/county will not interfere or enforce the state-wide lockdown. A few businesses stayed open all along anyway.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    If you have any interact with the outside world, then it is not 100% avoidable. nor is waiting for a vaccine to ensure you will not die if you get it. Everyone has a risk they are willing to take. No different then the risk you take anytime you go outside your house. Lets not be overly dramatic here
    Excellent points.
    Risk management.
    Simple enough.
    Donít need a Mayor, Governor, or even a President to protect me.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

poser Administrator
    I agree. Everything has a risk associated with it and most things that have a risk associated with are known. We use the crosswalks because that is the means to mitigate risk when crossing roads. We wear helmets on our bikes because that is the way science has shown that you can mitigate the risk of crashing. We wear seatbelts in cars to mitigate the risk in a car crash. We don't go out actively trying to get in accidents even though we have risk mitigation strategies so why would you do the same with the corona virus?

Science has said that staying away from people is a good way to prevent it. Data shows that a percentage of otherwise healthy people die or are seriously injured by this virus. Both of those items show that the mitigation strategy makes sense. Eschewing this is the same as riding your bike without a helmet. You might be able to manage the risk but you are not the only person on the trail or the road. Sometimes luck or whatever will send an errant deer on to the trail or a cellphone using driver.

Sure I might be hit be a meteoriod leaving the house and that is totally a luck sort of thing, same thing with a piece falling off an airplane or a terrorist attack. Uncontrolled risk exists everywhere but ignoring controllable risk is just stupid. There are all sorts of things we can do to control the scary risks, eat healthy, drink in moderation, don't smoke, know your familial health history, regular visits to the doctor, wear a seat belt, etc. This is just another one of them.

You never know if the door handle you touched was just touched by someone that doesn't know they had this virus. That is enough for me. Stay at home, don't touch the door handle, stay healthy, for now.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    I agree. Everything has a risk associated with it and most things that have a risk associated with are known. We use the crosswalks because that is the means to mitigate risk when crossing roads. We wear helmets on our bikes because that is the way science has shown that you can mitigate the risk of crashing. We wear seatbelts in cars to mitigate the risk in a car crash. We don't go out actively trying to get in accidents even though we have risk mitigation strategies so why would you do the same with the corona virus?

Science has said that staying away from people is a good way to prevent it. Data shows that a percentage of otherwise healthy people die or are seriously injured by this virus. Both of those items show that the mitigation strategy makes sense. Eschewing this is the same as riding your bike without a helmet. You might be able to manage the risk but you are not the only person on the trail or the road. Sometimes luck or whatever will send an errant deer on to the trail or a cellphone using driver.

Sure I might be hit be a meteoriod leaving the house and that is totally a luck sort of thing, same thing with a piece falling off an airplane or a terrorist attack. Uncontrolled risk exists everywhere but ignoring controllable risk is just stupid. There are all sorts of things we can do to control the scary risks, eat healthy, drink in moderation, don't smoke, know your familial health history, regular visits to the doctor, wear a seat belt, etc. This is just another one of them.

You never know if the door handle you touched was just touched by someone that doesn't know they had this virus. That is enough for me. Stay at home, don't touch the door handle, stay healthy, for now.
    Thank you. Sounds like a freedom I can get behind. Not sure why anyone would need a mayor, gov or prez to tell them to act responsibly, especially when the act benefits a greater good for everyone. Going to be interesting. Gov can tell you to stay in, but canít tell you to go out. Confidence is needed
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Pretty much over hyped crap IMO. I've stated in other threads I'm computer illiterate so I can't link anything but there is an interview Bill Maher (not a fan) did with Dr David Katz.

If someone could pull that up and listen you may agree that this guy should be in charge not the boneheads Fauci & Birx.

I'm working because our industry was deemed necessary, slower than usual but working. Riding as much as ever maybe more, also enjoying post ride beers with the group. Wear a mask in public buildings and hate it, will not wear one outdoors noway.

This should already be over, never should have got this far along. PHASE 2 needs to happen two weeks ago. Just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
    Pretty much over hyped crap IMO. I've stated in other threads I'm computer illiterate so I can't link anything but there is an interview Bill Maher (not a fan) did with Dr David Katz.

If someone could pull that up and listen you may agree that this guy should be in charge not the boneheads Fauci & Birx.

I'm working because our industry was deemed necessary, slower than usual but working. Riding as much as ever maybe more, also enjoying post ride beers with the group. Wear a mask in public buildings and hate it, will not wear one outdoors noway.

This should already be over, never should have got this far along. PHASE 2 needs to happen two weeks ago. Just my opinion.
    Think in areas that arenít infected much relaxing should happen. If you are in the thick of it and you have seen the death toll and sadness it brings, youíd gladly be wearing a mask
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Think in areas that arenít infected much relaxing should happen. If you are in the thick of it and you have seen the death toll and sadness it brings, youíd gladly be wearing a mask
    This is so true. If I were responsible for infecting a susceptible person with a fatal case of COVID, I'd feel terrible. I have a very robust immune system in general, so it is possible that any time I venture out a few or a lot of COVID particles could stick to me.

I don't want to become a bringer of grief to anyone these days.

EDIT: Also helpful is that the ZIP code I live in only has 9 reported cases, and this has remained stable for 2 weeks now.
    The County posts a COVID cases by Zip codes map and it updates them daily.
    In San Diego, the more southerly ZIPs are the most infected. The Zip code going along the International border is by far the most infected, and it almost doubled over the weekend. The city on the other side of the border, Tijuana, is also really high in infections reported.
    They should have made that wall N95 compliant. Anything would only make it look less ugly. Except for gun towers...they'd definitely make it uglier.
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Important keywords like
    Science
    Scientists
    Hard Data

However lots of "experts" on disease and science online and in bicycle forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Important keywords like
    Science
    Scientists
    Hard Data

However lots of "experts" on disease and science online and in bicycle forums.
    Hey, I'm a scientist* and I believe that copious quantities of beer are needed for proper inoculation.

*Geologist.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Yep I follow them here in WA. We are allowed to ride our bikes outside so I end up road cycling or mountain biking while maintaining distance. My job also allows me to work remotely and pays me time and a half to do so. They also paid me double time to work in the office since I'm tagged as an essential employee. I only work in the office when needed. My job is over here in King County which was basically ground zero for COVID-19.
    Da Gov' is doing limited opening for outdoor recreation starting the 5th.

I'm also in King Co. Now that the trails may start to open up, I've come down with yet another bout of flu-like symptoms which are not consistent with Covid. Third *(^%ing time this year that I've felt like this.

banned
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Thank you. Sounds like a freedom I can get behind. Not sure why anyone would need a mayor, gov or prez to tell them to act responsibly, especially when the act benefits a greater good for everyone. Going to be interesting. Gov can tell you to stay in, but canít tell you to go out. Confidence is needed
    I would think not, yet just a couple hours ago I ran into 2 people on our local trail from an hour away. They live in the city that has half the cases in the state. They drove an hour to come here and ride. It doesn't help that all State club controlled trails are closed for all uses right now. We don't have a club chapter so our trails are dry and open, but the state says don't go more than 10 miles from your house to recreate.

I'm stoked our local trails can be open when so many are closed, and there's a good number of riders that live within 10 miles that I would be glad to host in my town for the sake of their mental health and physical health, to get some exercise. Then folk feel like they can drive out here just to ride, it make me feel like I really do want the governor to start some enforcement.

Pretty clear guidelines to keep folks safe. Within that, there are some common sense realities folks shouldn't really need to be told. Sadly, what I am seeing is folks ignoring both.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post

I listened to that interview and all he is espousing is that we need to flatten the curve but there will be a phase 2. Flattening the curve doesn't reduce the impact of the virus just the impact on hospitals. Pretty much what every one has been saying. He is saying you need to accept that you will get it which I think is about right. You will get it, you may die, you may not. The erroneous thing he states is that if you get it you will be immune to it. This has not been proven at all. It is highly possible that you might get it after already having it and your body, stressed by having already fought it off once, may have a harder time fighting it. That was bad info. The potential that everyone gets it is good info, flattening the curve is good info, immunity bad info.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    I would think not, yet just a couple hours ago I ran into 2 people on our local trail from an hour away. They live in the city that has half the cases in the state. They drove an hour to come here and ride. It doesn't help that all State club controlled trails are closed for all uses right now. We don't have a club chapter so our trails are dry and open, but the state says don't go more than 10 miles from your house to recreate.

I'm stoked our local trails can be open when so many are closed, and there's a good number of riders that live within 10 miles that I would be glad to host in my town for the sake of their mental health and physical health, to get some exercise. Then folk feel like they can drive out here just to ride, it make me feel like I really do want the governor to start some enforcement.

Pretty clear guidelines to keep folks safe. Within that, there are some common sense realities folks shouldn't really need to be told. Sadly, what I am seeing is folks ignoring both.
    Our trails here in seattle are mostly on County land and are closed by the county. Which means the trails are taped off, bathrooms closed, and parking closed. I would be willing to bet though that they are still crowded. As I have stated before I am fortunate in that I can still work and financially I am not strapped so I can afford to stay home and make the choice to not go riding. If I was unemployed and sitting at home the itch to ride my bike would be far greater. I understand those that do not have jobs and families needing to get out and recreate.

I chose to lead by example, even if no one gets to see my example except my wife and kids. It always helps to put yourself in others shoes, no matter how much you would never wear them yourself. And understanding doesn't mean accepting it just means understanding why people do what they do as coping mechanism.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    too many trails still closed here.. the hospitals aren't overrun... it was supposed to be two weeks so hospitals didn't get crushed by too many cases.. that hasn't happened (most places)..

it is stupid we are still doing this... we ruining the economy ... it is time to be aware this is not a NO Harm solution here... There are smarter things we could be doing, hire some of the tens of millions now unemployed to take supplies to more vulnerable folks who continue to lay low... but younger / healthier people need to get back to work and shops / restaurants .etc need to reopen. And trails.... your odds of getting this from passing someone on a bike is pretty low..

people don't care anyway.. hopefully my community doesn't bulldoze the bike park jump-lines that got built last year.. people keep cutting chains put across the runs and moving huge concrete barriers they dropped in the middle of the runs because people kept cutting the chains..

rode by (on a open trail) the other day.. there was 12~ people in there including parents that had apparently lifted their kids bikes over the locked fences .. meh..

mtbr member
    The parks here are closed, but the trails are open. The county here understands what a good balance is...no hanging out at the picnic gazebos and BBQ'ing, but go ride the trails, enjoy the fresh air.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Packed pathways and packed sidewalks, closed parking lots but other parking lots are open, it doesnt matter because they just park enmass in the community (instead of going home because the parking lot is closed), they are tending to park in front of houses. People stopping at the wrong spot, Y's in the pathway system, around the blind bend, entrances at breaks in the pathway.

There are pinch points too in the pathway systems, and other spots where the pathway pavement is restricted width wise. I ride on the residential roads bypassing the busy parkway pathway system, but there are two sections where I have to use it. And when I come up to those sections, they are jammed packed. Families, children, dogs, carts, bicyclists.

mtbr member
    Balancing the resumption of a productive society & economy with the well-being of those in the at-risk groups is the key, it seems.

We need to get up and running again (w/possible rates of unemployment teetering around 20% I've heard), and states are trying to do this.

Can you imagine the celebration that will break out when a vaccine is created and produced en masse?! It's going to be balls-out, like a worldwide Mardi Gras.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I'm most definitely not missing the cube farm (except for the seemingly never-ending asphalt cutting and jackhammering on the street below my house).
    I've grown comfortable working from home but miss some of my colleagues and those I serve.

mtbr member
    Can you travel further if one has plans to procreate?

Up In Smoke
    All this time I've still been working but on a reduced schedule. Today they decided we can go back to full time. If they say I can work, I say I can ride.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    I think that we should be allowed to do what we want to, and let the evil hand of fate determine who lives and who dies.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

mtbr member
    Personal Responsibility.
    Simple enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Balancing the resumption of a productive society & economy with the well-being of those in the at-risk groups is the key, it seems.

We need to get up and running again (w/possible rates of unemployment teetering around 20% I've heard), and states are trying to do this.

Can you imagine the celebration that will break out when a vaccine is created and produced en masse?! It's going to be balls-out, like a worldwide Mardi Gras.
    Maybe a new national holiday would be on order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I think that we should be allowed to do what we want to, and let the evil hand of fate determine who lives and who dies.
    You should share your thoughts with the families of the 60,000+ who have died.

mtbr member
    they closed half the lakes in Arizona for recreation. so now the ones that are open are twice as busy. they closed the bathrooms at the lakes so people are crapping all over, the shores are covered in TP. The parks are more crowded than I have ever seen. golf courses are packed.

Yesterday our gov threatened small business owners if they open they will be jailed for up to 6 months, $2500 fine, and loose their liquor licence.

I work, have been working. Nothing has changed for me. but I work alone 99% of the time. I didn't know my daily life was called social distancing.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member

Have residence in VT. At the start of this contemplated hunkering there. Decided to stay nyc suburb. As expected Vermonters are courteous and thoughtful enough to effectively self qt.
    College students going home from itís biggest most densely populated area certainly helped
    Flip the coin and the sooner you get it the sooner you get over it. Given immunity has some effectiveness
    Round and round we go

Keep pedaling
    I always wear a face when out in public everywhere except for bicycle rides.

There is a bike path across the street from my home. It's too narrow to stay 6 feet away from everyone.

The face mask makes it too hard to breathe on bicycle rides. I have lung damage from living in a smoggy city all my life. I have trouble breathing even without a face mask. I don't wear a face mask on bicycle rides, but I do wear it everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Furball the Mystery Cat View Post
    I always wear a face when out in public everywhere except for bicycle rides.

There is a bike path across the street from my home. It's too narrow to stay 6 feet away from everyone.

The face mask makes it too hard to breathe on bicycle rides. I have lung damage from living in a smoggy city all my life. I have trouble breathing even without a face mask. I don't wear a face mask on bicycle rides, but I do wear it everywhere else.
    I really get the impression that getting the COVID is akin to getting pregnant...a lot of shiz has to be in meticulous alignment for things to effectively occur.

I know of families of the ill who have not contracted it despite living in close quarters and what have you.

Just sayin'...

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Yeah no shit! I have 2 people who were close to me pass from this thing now. They need not have died. Their families are devastated.
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Been at home for about 2 months now. Only been out to hospitals and medical facilities, and the occasional walk around here before anyone else gets up. I am quite happy to continue doing so until such time as there are proper measures in place to minimize the chances of transmission, and to be able to deal with this if you are infected.
    It's all Here. Now.

CEO Product Failure
    Same here. "Sheltered In Place" since March 11th. Nothing outdoors more than walking the dogs. Once a week I run out for something--walgreens for allergy meds, home depot for furnace filter. But that's it. No mtb'ing, no meetings, no going to get take out, same as most folks in a major metro area I'd imagine.

Why? My wife is high risk (asthma and take daily meds for it) and my business partner is high risk (cancer survivor w no spleen, pneumonia would be a death sentence). Personally, I don't want C19 either. I've read reports that state C19 severely damages your lung tissue if you survive.

Looking forward to eventually getting out riding, working, and living.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The amount of sheer stupidity, hubris, and stubbornness this pandemic has uncovered in an age when we are more informed, connected, and have more resources than ever before is absolutely staggering.

banned
    Jun 2005
    There's two pretty hard line positions on this materializing ('Merica). Instead of one vs. the other, both are true, and honest. It's a difficult concept to accept. Increasingly so in the society we have been living in since the hyper-toxic polarization that went down on social media in 2016.

In epicenters of activity....and because of our lack of preparation for this, everyone should be really vigilant, stay home, or travel little. Even more so if you are a high risk group. Clearly.

At the same time, areas of low activity, among those of low risk for hospitalization, things should ease up sooner than later. It seems the rhetoric about "people not doing the right thing" sadly has merit. Based on reading the various forums here, and my own local experience.

Considering this, we should focus on really breaking the human to human transmission from these clearly defined epicenters, and at the same time let folks in areas where the medical system has not been hit as hard as earlier believed get back to as much of their daily lives as possible, for economic reasons, and mental and physical health reasons as well.

When decisions come down from on high, from a centralized hive-mind, this common sense, faceted reality is difficult to achieve. Roll in human fear and ego and it's impossible. Interesting times. Thankful for where my ass currently sits. Stay healthy all.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    The amount of sheer stupidity, hubris, and stubbornness this pandemic has uncovered in an age when we are more informed, connected, and have more resources than ever before is absolutely staggering.
    The government will know what to do when a real bad pandemic comes around.
    ....if they remember....

Martial Law

High Desert MTBer
    There's two pretty hard line positions on this materializing ('Merica). Instead of one vs. the other, both are true, and honest. It's a difficult concept to accept. Increasingly so in the society we have been living in since the hyper-toxic polarization that went down on social media in 2016.

In epicenters of activity....and because of our lack of preparation for this, everyone should be really vigilant, stay home, or travel little. Even more so if you are a high risk group. Clearly.

At the same time, areas of low activity, among those of low risk for hospitalization, things should ease up sooner than later. It seems the rhetoric about "people not doing the right thing" sadly has merit. Based on reading the various forums here, and my own local experience.

Considering this, we should focus on really breaking the human to human transmission from these clearly defined epicenters, and at the same time let folks in areas where the medical system has not been hit as hard as earlier believed get back to as much of their daily lives as possible, for economic reasons, and mental and physical health reasons as well.

When decisions come down from on high, from a centralized hive-mind, this common sense, faceted reality is difficult to achieve. Roll in human fear and ego and it's impossible. Interesting times. Thankful for where my ass currently sits. Stay healthy all.
    I hear what you're saying, but the more remote settings are not immune either. At least anywhere with enough population to matter and cause a blip to the economy. Small towns are having their medical facilities overwhelmed too... If you are lucky enough to live far from the madding crowd, then you are blessed You can get out and have fun without too much worry...
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    Good bit of irony I found today. I had to go get a CV test before being able to get in for a medical procedure. I had to go to the test center, where all staff had full protective gear, but testees were not mandated to wear any protective gear! Sheesh! A place where people suspected of maybe having this thing and no measures to protect others?!? Admittedly they taped every other chair to distance people, but when a guy is sitting there coughing with no mask, I am not about to take chances. I waited outside in the heat til they called me. Un-fukkin-believable...

My 2 months of isolating as much as possible may just have been for nothing!
    It's all Here. Now.

M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
    In these times.
    Donít frail and blow if youíre going to Braille and Flow.

Fart smeller
    Da Gov' is doing limited opening for outdoor recreation starting the 5th.

I'm also in King Co. Now that the trails may start to open up, I've come down with yet another bout of flu-like symptoms which are not consistent with Covid. Third *(^%ing time this year that I've felt like this.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N3TuOQkN7e0
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So now, COVID deaths have surpassed Americans killed in Vietnam,. Freeeeeedom!
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    So now, COVID deaths have surpassed Americans killed in Vietnam,. Freeeeeedom!
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Good bit of irony I found today. I had to go get a CV test before being able to get in for a medical procedure. I had to go to the test center, where all staff had full protective gear, but testees were not mandated to wear any protective gear! Sheesh! A place where people suspected of maybe having this thing and no measures to protect others?!? Admittedly they taped every other chair to distance people, but when a guy is sitting there coughing with no mask, I am not about to take chances. I waited outside in the heat til they called me. Un-fukkin-believable...

My 2 months of isolating as much as possible may just have been for nothing!
    Fore sure, Unfukking believable that they would allow someone in the door without a mask. I would have voiced my loud opinion with many F bombs and made sure they new how I felt about them not doing their job correctly. Three weeks ago maybe, but not today. No visitor can walk into my Hospital without a mask and it's mandatory for all employees when in common areas/patient floors, but it wasn't 3 weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Comparing Covid-19 and flu numbers is a classic case of apples to oranges, according to public health experts and epidemiologists. While the number of flu cases and deaths are estimates that donít require confirmation by a lab test or death certificate, Covid-19 cases and deaths are being documented as such only if there is a positive result on a lab test.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    there have been 3 people tested positive in my zip code, no CV deaths. my Zip has a population of 7708 with a land area of 75 sq/miles. 27 people have been hospitalized from rattle snake bites in the last two weeks.

I avoid the grocery store, we go there maybe once a month. however the feed store down the street has a great selection of beer and they are cheaper than the grocery store.

I just social distanced before it was cool. I don't like people. other advantage is my mother in law has respiratory issues. oh no... I guess I can't go over there.... dang.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    27 people have been hospitalized from rattle snake bites in the last two weeks.
    Do you guys get a lot of ER visits due to scorpion stings? I have a friend that lives in Chandler, and one of his son's friends went into anaphylactic shock from a sting.

I got stung as a kid up near Idylwild. My finger swelled up and that was it.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ted Kaczynski style is the thing now.

Small towns are good in one sense, less people but bad in another sense, very few icu beds, very few ventilators. There's gotta be a certain distance where if it really gets bad, you got someone to drive you to the big city for more icu beds, more venitlators. Every geographic area is different.

banned
    Apr 2010
    it has been a great time to be a country boy. 60 cases in north idaho, 3 counties with no cases at all, no one has died.
    covid is a non issue here, the cure though is another story.

I have been saying, if it wasn't for going broke, i have had the time of my life. work half days and ride the other half. the sledding and biking have been great.

now as a business owner with 22 employees, it has been tough, my business has been closed for 7 weeks, we reopened yesterday. great day of sales. one of the realities for many business owners is that alot of people would rather be on unemployment than work. it baffles me, but i do not think like a normal person.

banned
    Apr 2010
    What is kind of funny and not funny. the first responders are bored out of there gored. there is nothing for them to do. The hospital is laying off people because of no one in the hospital. the cops are all rushing to a little accident, because of nothing for them to do.
    now in a big city this might be different. But where i am at, i am glad we are reopening the state.

mtbr member
    Yep, it's definitely not a one size fits all regarding the shutdown. Some places need it, many others don't

No known cure
    It's pretty much over here. There was a line inside the Mexi restauarant a mile long. There was nowhere to park at the nursury and the line inside was a mile long. It seems everyone from down the hill is up here. Stop and go traffic in town, packs of motorcycles. Only half are wearing masks. Im not because as a concealed weapon permit holder, I'm forbidden by law to wear a mask. Early on it was fun to tell people that. Now no one asks. I'm headed down to the saloon now to check out the scene.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    In Moab, you can go to the liquor store, but you can't camp by yourself in a public campground. And I'm NOT sayin' close the liquor store!

I wear a mask if I think it's really important to other people or if a store owner requires it. Most of the time in Utah, people aren't wearing them.

I see Oregon will be shut down through July 6!
    I didn't see a mention of which year.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Modoc County, CA has told business owners they can open if they wish despite the state order. The county will take no enforcement action. governor gruesome can blubber and threaten, but it is an empty threat. If the county sheriff or DA office don't cooperate there is nothing the state can do.

Modoc County has zero cases of Covid-19. It is one of 4 counties that so far is disease free.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    In the short term there will be some spikes of covid-19 in places and spots, then in Fall "they" say covid-19 will return. I found a place that sells masks and stocked up a few hundred bucks worth, they were reasonably priced. The two $20 reusable ones seemed a little flimsy for the reusable filter, and very small. The owner is Chinese, so he's got the connections in his homeland. The packaging is all in Chinese. Hopefully the major commercial account retailers, Auckland Grainger and the like will get the normal N95 masks in, perhaps it will take a few months to get everything restocked. Should have done the couple hundred bucks of masks (100+) when H1N1/SARS hit in early 2000's and mids instad of getting measly 10 pack when the kids were born.

mtbr member
    In the short term there will be some spikes of covid-19 in places and spots, then in Fall "they" say covid-19 will return. I found a place that sells masks and stocked up a few hundred bucks worth, they were reasonably priced.
    Gonna donate some to the local first responders or just hoard them all for yourself?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave54 View Post
    Modoc County, CA has told business owners they can open if they wish despite the state order. The county will take no enforcement action. governor gruesome can blubber and threaten, but it is an empty threat. If the county sheriff or DA office don't cooperate there is nothing the state can do.

Modoc County has zero cases of Covid-19. It is one of 4 counties that so far is disease free.
    There's middle ground somewhere in all of this. I don't blame folks for getting back to normal in your example. People will die from other sh*t besides covid, as bad as that sounds.

Life is based on calculated risks, including medicine.

We're going to see the fallout of an incessant lock-down, such as an increase in other medical issues going untreated right now, let alone suicides and domestic abuse.

Protect the vulnerable (i.e. elderly or otherwise compromised) and reopen the country as a measured pace. Both can be done. We need to learn to live with this virus, not wait for a vaccine.

High Desert MTBer
    There's middle ground somewhere in all of this. I don't blame folks for getting back to normal in your example. People will die from other sh*t besides covid, as bad as that sounds.

Life is based on calculated risks, including medicine.

We're going to see the fallout of an incessant lock-down, such as an increase in other medical issues going untreated right now, let alone suicides and domestic abuse.

Protect the vulnerable (i.e. elderly or otherwise compromised) and reopen the country as a measured pace. Both can be done. We need to learn to live with this virus, not wait for a vaccine.
    "Measured pace" is the key. Just a few things to strive for before doing this:
    The compromised need financial support to continue.
    People need to not gather on beaches etc. There needs to be effective enforcement of this.
    Work environments need to be safe and people not forced to return by economic blackmail if they do not feel safe there.
    Safety needs bipartisan oversight from the federal level so individual states are not free to ignore safety measures for whatever political reasons they may have.
    Should spikes in CV cases reappear, measures will need to be tightened once more.
    A concerted effort needs to be made to protect those in care homes, detention centers, prisons, etc. Enforced incarceration should not involve a death sentence.

There are more... too early to think of them now!
    It's all Here. Now.

CEO Product Failure

Good job!

Finally went for a trail ride this weekend. This was my third outdoor ride in 2020. Obviously the pandemic played a large role in avoiding the trails. I was pleasantly surprised by the cooperation of other trails users in maintaining social distancing.

Then we encountered a group of 8-10 mtb riders who were congregating at the bottom of a DH section, then proceeded to ride by single file as we (wife & I approached). I doubt they were from the same household. Middle age males aged 35-55 yrs old. IMO a group ride at this time is very irresponsible.

Otherwise, it was a great experience. The TH parking lot we parked at was at capacity with less than 30% of parking spaces filled. People were able to adequately maintain their 6'. We rode at 5pm on a Saturday to avoid peak hours at the park.

banned
    Jul 2015
    ^^^^Well,we are to the point now where people no longer care or feel threatened by the virus, masks donít matter(never did to them) and killing their elderly parents is an afterthought.
    These MTB brahs, idiots, aholes, some friends you know and ride with sometimes (whatever you which to call them) have never stopped riding in these groups since this started, you just finally witnessed it for yourself.

Heck a Cantina/ Restaurant bar and a clothing store just opened yesterday in upscale San Clemente, Ca. a beach town.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Gonna donate some to the local first responders
    I am taking care of old people who require extra care for some serious health problems, we have n95 masks, surgical masks, cloth masks (wife sewed them up), reusable filter masks which are real flimsy when you try to replace the filter, we got ppe for the nurses, cleaners and aids that come and help daily. Wife even sewed up some hand warmers for the old age homes in past years. I use the ppe when I go grocery shopping and load up on food. Half gallon of 80% alc sanitizer in a glass bottle was on sale at Sobeys. I donated some of that, and the ppe to family friends who are nurses that work in clinics. Its very hit and miss as to where the n95 masks are sold, I think the businesses that have a China connection, someone who speaks the language, partners/friends/family in China seems to get them easy enough. What I wonder is are they counterfeit. China is famous for faking, stealing and counterfeiting anything and everything, more so then other countries. Its nagging but all the n95 masks from the commercial distributors are sold out, wont be restocked for another 2 months time.

Another thing I noticed with some of the ppe, is the reusable filter masks are ultra small. No definite markings on the packaging in Chinese language, but the masks are real small. Barely cover the mouth and nose, so made for small people. The 3M do seem to fit much better, they were purchased from a dist.

mtbr member
    Local Hospital laying off employees.
    No business.
    No patients.
    Not good.
    Not smart.
    Not healthy.
    And hopefully not for long.

mtbr member
    People tend to remain socially distant from me when I get the paper in the morning sans slacks....

EAT MORE GRIME
    ...finally have a use for this six foot wang I'm burdened with...
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    ...finally have a use for this six foot wang I'm burdened with...
    Since I am not familiar with the term, I had to google 'wang' and got this:

State Social Distance/Stay at Home Orders...-a099c99b73262a7ae9f581e365a3e280.jpg

I guess with him around, people would keep their distance... we should all get one
    It's all Here. Now.

Up In Smoke
    So, he's holding his wang?

I'd get a 6' bamboo rod and tie one of those murder wasps to the end.
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    So, he's holding his wang?
    I was no fan of Wang Chung back in the day....

Meatbomb
    I found a place that sells masks and stocked up a few hundred bucks worth, they were reasonably priced. The two $20 reusable ones seemed a little flimsy for the reusable filter, and very small. The owner is Chinese, so he's got the connections in his homeland.

Coincidence?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Since I am not familiar with the term, I had to google 'wang' and got this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a099c99b73262a7ae9f581e365a3e280.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	1330331

I guess with him around, people would keep their distance... we should all get one
    That is me in the photo

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

well mannered lout
    I was no fan of Wang Chung back in the day....
    I liked "Dance Hall Days".
    Well my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hawaii has some strict stay at home laws.