soo. I may have been exposed to the c19 virus.... 2weeks ago- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 61 of 61
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    604

    soo. I may have been exposed to the c19 virus.... 2weeks ago

    So... never do anyone a favor? about 2weeks ago (maybe week and half?) my wife texted our older next door neighbors to see how they were doing and asking if they needed anything from the store... as we had to go anyway.

    blah blah.. we went to store bought the things they needed, as I was about to place it on there mat and ring the doorbell and nope outta there, the very nice neighbor lady opened the door and insisted on giving me cash and was not social distancing at all (which is annoying as her husband is a Dr. and she was a nurse before retiring...) GREAT..

    So today x (i think closer to 1.5weeks) later, I earlier today found out the husband has been sick since before my attempted social distancing delivery which was somewhat derailed...

    Tonight the Fire / ambulance just came and took the wife (who pushed money into my hand) to the ER....


    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF******CK..... I guess on the upside I am probably (touch wood) ok as it has been nearly 2weeks....

    I am trying to find out her status ....mostly because they are our friends but also because I wanna know if I have been exposed to this stupid virus...

    what a time to be alive (for now??)

  2. #2
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    Bummer, Iím sure many of us without a clue have been exposed. I work up close and personal with probably 50 or more people a day. Few follow the rules of social distancing. Itís a selfish act in my opinion. Follow the damn rules and give some respect for those out on the front lines working to keep you all satisfied. Some of us are forced to work in a very dangerous environment, follow the rules when out and about in public please.

    Sorry to vent, hope your neighbor pulls through and that your exposure didnít take hold.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  3. #3
    Dark Meat
    Guest
    My brother in-law just confirmed that someone in his office tested positive. He works for the feds...so theyíve still been going into the office, daily. F#ck our govt

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    604
    well luckily I know what to look for because I found this::

    soo. I may have been exposed to the c19 virus.... 2weeks ago-know.jpg



    sorry about all y'alls troubles as well... this is some weird sh*te going on in the world.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Curveball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3,646
    I went to the grocery the other day to pick up a prescription and they closed up one of the doors to the store. That meant that everyone was jammed together getting in and out in one spot. I had to pass right next to a bunch of people. And we're under a shelter-in-place order.

    I also had to go into the office to print and scan some stuff and a bunch of people came right up to me for help with their problems. I started coughing wildly and they still wouldn't back away.

    I'm under the impression that practically nobody takes this virus seriously.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wgscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    564
    That's why we now have more people infected than China, even going by the limited number of tests.

  7. #7
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    i have a fedex delivery coming. i'm going to put it in a big construction hefty bag and douse it with lysol. i'm thinking about quarantine for 2 weeks before i open it.

    speaking of lysol - saw a 4 pack of lysol spray bid up to $1000+ on ebay. i'm thinking ebay should do something about that. some lysol listings are for $50 a can. some are less but ridiculous for something you could get for less than $6 a feww weeks ago. people who take advantage of other people's desperation suck sht in hell.

    edit: just checked completed listings. one can sold for $16,000. dam

  8. #8
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    I went to the grocery the other day to pick up a prescription and they closed up one of the doors to the store. That meant that everyone was jammed together getting in and out in one spot. I had to pass right next to a bunch of people. And we're under a shelter-in-place order.

    I also had to go into the office to print and scan some stuff and a bunch of people came right up to me for help with their problems. I started coughing wildly and they still wouldn't back away.

    I'm under the impression that practically nobody takes this virus seriously.
    like the idiots who have covid19 parties... gd.

  9. #9
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,341
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    That's why we now have more people infected than any other country in the world, even going by the limited number of tests.
    fify.

    My sister is on a 2 week self quarantine. Her daughter had an appt with a neurologist to look into the possibility of seizures. Type of office where you shouldn't have a bunch of people who are sick with a disease, so it SHOULD be fairly low risk as long as you're maintaining appropriate precautions. Some fool traipsed into the office coughing while she was there, and the office had to shut down and cancel appointments to deal with the possible contamination.

  10. #10
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,810


    Best of luck to you... to all of us.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  11. #11
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    speaking of lysol - saw a 4 pack of lysol spray bid up to $1000+ on ebay. i'm thinking ebay should do something about that. some lysol listings are for $50 a can. some are less but ridiculous for something you could get for less than $6 a feww weeks ago. people who take advantage of other people's desperation suck sht in hell.

    edit: just checked completed listings. one can sold for $16,000. dam
    I'd be highly suspicious of insane bids / completed auctions like that as being "fake news" to drive up prices. Sort of like vendors "paying" customers to write positive ads for products on Amazon, etc. (sometimes those "payments" are free gifts if you write a review).

    I was just at Target and, while not shopping for Lysol/Clorox (already had it), the TP and PT aisles were pretty well stocked. 1 package of each per customer, but there were plenty of 24 & 36 packs of TP (along with smaller packs). An associate was standing nearby with more cases on a cart, ready to stock.
    Go Fact Yourself.

    Real eyes realize real lies.

  12. #12
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    I'm still waiting to see hand satanizer back on the shelves.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    2,253
    I'm a little shocked that his post was made.

    I've been reading posts from most of the other Coronavirus threads here on MTBR, not how I thought this would go down.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Scott O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,260
    Can you use Lysol to get high? Asking for a friend (whose name rhymes with Sickard)

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    604
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest Rider View Post
    I'm a little shocked that his post was made.

    I've been reading posts from most of the other Coronavirus threads here on MTBR, not how I thought this would go down.

    ha. .. I've been trying to play along with the "lock down" in the hope that those that wanted it are right and it will work...

    However I don't think that it is viable for as long as medical people who don't seem to understand economics would like to carry on with it.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...normal/608752/

    Medical people talking about possible 12mos to 18mos timelines.... there will be civil unrest and / or war by this sort of time frame... (granted they aren't saying the current levels of lockdown.. for that whole time but still a massively disruptive amount).

    My personal preference is to have the boomers lockdown hire some of the laid off to bring them supplies, and have younger workers get back to work / developing "herd immunity" rather soon...

    At some point soon the lockdowns becomes more damaging than the virus.. IMHO


    EDIT:: Also my personal experience has reinforced my belief that we are going to be exposed to this with these lockdowns in place or not. Every time you go to the grocery store you are around many customers and the Employees who are exposed to customers all day long.... You are going to get exposed to this or you already have been.... if you haven't yet probably you will pretty soon.

  16. #16
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I'd be highly suspicious of insane bids / completed auctions like that as being "fake news" to drive up prices. Sort of like vendors "paying" customers to write positive ads for products on Amazon, etc. (sometimes those "payments" are free gifts if you write a review).

    I was just at Target and, while not shopping for Lysol/Clorox (already had it), the TP and PT aisles were pretty well stocked. 1 package of each per customer, but there were plenty of 24 & 36 packs of TP (along with smaller packs). An associate was standing nearby with more cases on a cart, ready to stock.
    good point. i almost got sucked in to buying 4 pack of lysol for only $89. luckily i was reminded that i already had a full 19 oz can in the pantry before i hit the button. my friend said he had 10 cans and would sell me 1 for $40. i need better friends.

  17. #17
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Can you use Lysol to get high? Asking for a friend (whose name rhymes with Sickard)

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    yes. but you must use a match and make sure the nozzle is pointed in pic... sickard's direction.

  18. #18
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    good point. i almost got sucked in to buying 4 pack of lysol for only $89. luckily i was reminded that i already had a full 19 oz can in the pantry before i hit the button. my friend said he had 10 cans and would sell me 1 for $40. i need better friends.
    If you're looking for something to sterilize packages, a paper towel or rag dampened with a bleach solution or rubbing alcohol should work. Use gloves to protect your hands if using bleach.

    It'll probably take some of the packaging dye off with it though, so hopefully it's not something you need to return. I just did this to the box for a new TV dropped off by Best Buy. The white paper towel ended up light blue.

    Then make sure to wash your hands and move on.
    Go Fact Yourself.

    Real eyes realize real lies.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: David R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,575
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    EDIT:: Also my personal experience has reinforced my belief that we are going to be exposed to this with these lockdowns in place or not. Every time you go to the grocery store you are around many customers and the Employees who are exposed to customers all day long.... You are going to get exposed to this or you already have been.... if you haven't yet probably you will pretty soon.
    This is where the term "flattening the curve" comes into play. The social distancing and lockdown measures aren't about eliminating the virus or stopping everyone from ever getting it, it's to prevent a sudden massive wave of sick people overwhelming the health system due to the highly contagious nature of the virus. Not sure what the media coverage of international events is like in the US, but if you haven't been following the story of what's happening in Spain or Italy then you probably should be, as it looks like the US (and UK) are possibly heading in that direction too. I read an article a week ago that looked at some figures, and there could be as much as a tenfold increase in mortality rates in countries like Italy where the virus has run wild compared to other places where they've clamped down hard and early and managed to slow/restrict the spread so the health system didn't become overwhelmed.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,216
    Scott O
    LOL @ Sickard comment
    A good giggle being had here.

    OP
    Probably better to get the virus early, as more medical slots will be open then later.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
    That's why we now have more people infected than China, even going by the limited number of tests.
    Does anyone really believe the data coming from China? Their new cases have been almost non-existent for 5+ weeks. Per the data, almost everyone there as either recovered or died. Great news if true.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i have a fedex delivery coming. i'm going to put it in a big construction hefty bag and douse it with lysol. i'm thinking about quarantine for 2 weeks before i open it.

    speaking of lysol - saw a 4 pack of lysol spray bid up to $1000+ on ebay. i'm thinking ebay should do something about that. some lysol listings are for $50 a can. some are less but ridiculous for something you could get for less than $6 a feww weeks ago. people who take advantage of other people's desperation suck sht in hell.

    edit: just checked completed listings. one can sold for $16,000. dam
    The virus been shown to only remain viable in the lab for about 72 hours. It needs a host, like a human, to multiply. Two weeks seems excessive, but people are free to assess their own risk tolerance.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,052
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    EDIT:: Also my personal experience has reinforced my belief that we are going to be exposed to this with these lockdowns in place or not. Every time you go to the grocery store you are around many customers and the Employees who are exposed to customers all day long.... You are going to get exposed to this or you already have been.... if you haven't yet probably you will pretty soon.

    I'm emailing my grocery list to the store and getting curbside pickup, not saying I still won't get the crud but I think doing that reduces the odds a fair amount.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  24. #24
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I'm still waiting to see hand satanizer back on the shelves.
    Hand sanitizer is a joke. All it does is smear the virus all over your hands. Many hand sanitzers are not made with 90% isopropyl alcohol which renders them useless. Furthermore, hand sanitizers leave a dried coating on your hand which can come off on delicate surfaces and discolor/damage them.

    Washing your hands with soap and water frequently is the best bare hand protection.

  25. #25
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Hand sanitizer is a joke. All it does is smear the virus all over your hands. Many hand sanitzers are not made with 90% isopropyl alcohol which renders them useless. Furthermore, hand sanitizers leave a dried coating on your hand which can come off on delicate surfaces and discolor/damage them.

    Washing your hands with soap and water frequently is the best bare hand protection.
    Going against doctors orders again I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  26. #26
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The virus been shown to only remain viable in the lab for about 72 hours. It needs a host, like a human, to multiply. Two weeks seems excessive, but people are free to assess their own risk tolerance.
    good info.
    i use hyperbole occasionally. but i do believe that covid can be spread on packaged items so lysol it is for foreign objects entering my home. my package carrier didn't seem to worried about it though. and she had been doing it all day.

  27. #27
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    The virus been shown to only remain viable in the lab for about 72 hours. It needs a host, like a human, to multiply. Two weeks seems excessive, but people are free to assess their own risk tolerance.
    A nurse told me it lives on metal surfaces best and up to 72 hours on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  28. #28
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Hand sanitizer is a joke. All it does is smear the virus all over your hands. Many hand sanitzers are not made with 90% isopropyl alcohol which renders them useless. Furthermore, hand sanitizers leave a dried coating on your hand which can come off on delicate surfaces and discolor/damage them.

    Washing your hands with soap and water frequently is the best bare hand protection.
    i wash my hands alot in any given day - now even more. i have a bottle of 90% iso alcohol. thinking of mixing up some sanitizer. any simple recipes? i hear aloe is the other main ingredient.

  29. #29
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    If you're looking for something to sterilize packages, a paper towel or rag dampened with a bleach solution or rubbing alcohol should work. Use gloves to protect your hands if using bleach.

    It'll probably take some of the packaging dye off with it though, so hopefully it's not something you need to return. I just did this to the box for a new TV dropped off by Best Buy. The white paper towel ended up light blue.

    Then make sure to wash your hands and move on.
    lysol is easy to use so if i have it i will use it. what would be the bleach/water ratio if i need to mix up a formula?

  30. #30
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Hand sanitizer is a joke. All it does is smear the virus all over your hands. Many hand sanitzers are not made with 90% isopropyl alcohol which renders them useless. Furthermore, hand sanitizers leave a dried coating on your hand which can come off on delicate surfaces and discolor/damage them.

    Washing your hands with soap and water frequently is the best bare hand protection.
    I use it when I can't wash my hands, like after getting gas. I've had a bottle in my center console for years, and it's most likely expired, still makes the cuts on my hands burn so I continue to use it. I always was first thing back at the abode.

    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    i wash my hands alot in any given day - now even more. i have a bottle of 90% iso alcohol. thinking of mixing up some sanitizer. any simple recipes? i hear aloe is the other main ingredient.
    I've read reports of 70% working better, but not sure if that's true. One Ring has posted a simplified recipe in one of these threads, I'm always up for reading more if anyone has a link. This is all I have, and to me it's a bit confusing: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK144054/
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  31. #31
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,510
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    lysol is easy to use so if i have it i will use it. what would be the bleach/water ratio if i need to mix up a formula?
    Got this from another forum: Take a gallon bottle of water, put a few drops of dish washing detergent in it to break the the surface tension of the water. Then put in 3-tablespoons of bleach (1/4 cup).

    Use that solution to wipe things down with and you will be fine.

    And you will have some extra money to buy TP with.

    It is also a very cost effective disinfectant and sanitizer.

    Liquid chlorine that is used in swimming pools is the same stuff as at home just more concentrated but not by all that much.

    During hurricane season, I used to keep a lot of extra chlorine around the motel for that reason.

    As a sanitizer in a swimming pool, it is used at a concentration of between one and ten parts per million.

    I use a quarter cup of bleach in a full load of colored clothes, as a sanitizer for every load I wash.

    It doesn't really take but a weakly diluted bleach solution to be an effective surface sanitizer, as specially around the house.

    People typically use bleach in higher concentrations than is actually necessary.

    Plus, when you can't get products like Lysol and alcohol, it is usually easier to find some bleach, which is also less expensive.

    Most people have bleach around the house for laundry use anyway.


    Not sure why you have to break the surface tension of the water, but...
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  32. #32
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    I scored a gallon of hand sanitizer, two canisters of Lysol wipes, a bottle of Lysol spray, a small spray bottle of an off brand spray for hands that claims 99.9% effective to germs and a pack of TP this past week. Plus three boxes of 10 pack masks, one box I donated to the police department, I have inside connections. My in home food stash is much smaller than the hoarders of late.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  33. #33
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I use it when I can't wash my hands, like after getting gas. I've had a bottle in my center console for years, and it's most likely expired, still makes the cuts on my hands burn so I continue to use it. I always was first thing back at the abode.



    I've read reports of 70% working better, but not sure if that's true. One Ring has posted a simplified recipe in one of these threads, I'm always up for reading more if anyone has a link. This is all I have, and to me it's a bit confusing: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK144054/
    90% must be used if you are making your own sanitizer. You have to consider that the other ingredients will dilute the alcohol so it will likely drop to around 65-70%. Using 70% alcohol to make sanitizer will dilute it to below 60% which is absolutely useless.

  34. #34
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    I am not sure why I am not seeing people wearing rubberized gardening/utility gloves when they are out in public pumping gas or shopping. Rubberized gloves can be washed with soap and water and reused again and again. Rush out to your local home improvement center!!!

  35. #35
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    I thought about making a little wash station in the back of my truck. One bucket of a diluted bleach solution and another straight water rinse you could dip your hands in. The problem would be keeping the liquid contained and easily accessible.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  36. #36
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    I am not sure why I am not seeing people wearing rubberized gardening/utility gloves when they are out in public pumping gas or shopping. Rubberized gloves can be washed with soap and water and reused again and again. Rush out to your local home improvement center!!!
    Iíve seen them. Iíve seen almost every variation of protection you could imagine. Iím out in and amongst the public so I see it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  37. #37
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I thought about making a little wash station in the back of my truck. One bucket of a diluted bleach solution and another straight water rinse you could dip your hands in. The problem would be keeping the liquid contained and easily accessible.
    I pumped gas yesterday and failed for second to use protection. I caught myself then went and got a hand wipe for protection. I need to get a box of rubber gloves for the truck, at least I started wearing them at work. Iím going to start wearing a mask as well at work staring tomorrow.

    A lady a pump over wasnít using anything. I warned her that gas stations are at the top of the list for germ spreading. She seemed like she didnít care and continued on but thanked me. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  38. #38
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I thought about making a little wash station in the back of my truck. One bucket of a diluted bleach solution and another straight water rinse you could dip your hands in. The problem would be keeping the liquid contained and easily accessible.
    How about an old 1 gallon drywall mud bucket (with a lid) for the bleach solution? You could just re-use a milk jug for the water rinse ("surfer's shower").
    Go Fact Yourself.

    Real eyes realize real lies.

  39. #39
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Iím out in and amongst the public so I see it all.
    So much for staying at home.

  40. #40
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    How about an old 1 gallon drywall mud bucket (with a lid) for the bleach solution? You could just re-use a milk jug for the water rinse ("surfer's shower").
    I've got one and two gallon buckets with lids, was just thinking of the lids being contaminated while opening, some of those are a PITA to get off. I guess you could leave a rag in the bleach solution to wipe the lid after, and it could also be used for door handles and pump handles, steering wheel, etc. Just pop the lid off before fueling and wipe away!

    I have an extra-cab and made a plywood platform that spans the whole back area behind the front seats, it's lined with a non-skid pad because I often carry gallons of paint, and it all stays upright. Might be a good place to keep it.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  41. #41
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by atarione View Post
    ha. .. I've been trying to play along with the "lock down" in the hope that those that wanted it are right and it will work...

    However I don't think that it is viable for as long as medical people who don't seem to understand economics would like to carry on with it.

    https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...normal/608752/

    Medical people talking about possible 12mos to 18mos timelines.... there will be civil unrest and / or war by this sort of time frame... (granted they aren't saying the current levels of lockdown.. for that whole time but still a massively disruptive amount).

    My personal preference is to have the boomers lockdown hire some of the laid off to bring them supplies, and have younger workers get back to work / developing "herd immunity" rather soon...

    At some point soon the lockdowns becomes more damaging than the virus.. IMHO


    EDIT:: Also my personal experience has reinforced my belief that we are going to be exposed to this with these lockdowns in place or not. Every time you go to the grocery store you are around many customers and the Employees who are exposed to customers all day long.... You are going to get exposed to this or you already have been.... if you haven't yet probably you will pretty soon.
    I find it hard to believe anyone is still holding onto such thoughts. Do you really judge what is going on in the outside world solely on what your own very limited experience dictates? Have you actually assimilated what has been happening in REALITY outside your little box?
    You seem to have little or no grasp of what this disease has done already, and what our fellow human being's efforts in other countries have succeeded in doing or failed to achieve. As a nation we have been in the enviable position of having some foresight as to what we might have expected, but we missed the chance to take effective steps to minimize our disruption. Now we are faced with no great options.
    This has largely been down to our leadership promoting blatantly false and/or misleading information which has caused vast swaths of our population to distrust sound advice. Now those people who are actually giving said sound advice are being targeted and pilloried by the ignorant conspiracists and gullible fools who will continue to ignore any sage advice in this crisis. I cannot believe the depths of stupidity that have led us to the place we are right now, when we could have been so much better off.
    Blame is fruitless however, unless we acknowledge and learn from our mistakes. What are we going to do now?

    Right now, as in any crisis, we need to address the most pressing concerns:
    - Make sure all of the country is put in lock down as soon as possible. Anything else is pointless, half-assed, and will just prolong the agony.
    - Remove all possible hindrances to speed up universal distribution of PPE anywhere that needs it, basically everywhere.
    - Ensure hospitals nationwide have enough equipment to cope with the projected cases. There are small crises playing out all over the country that we may not have not heard of.
    - Keep all avenues of information and testing open to find a cure or something to help treat this thing, but do not let this become a one-company or one-country proprietary thing. It HAS to be public domain. Worldwide. We are all in this.

    The economy is of course important, but it is also important to remember that the stock market is not the economy, just a measure of the health of the economy as we perceive it. We are in uncharted territory, so we need a global organization to impartially assess the danger areas of breakdowns of supply chains, and what might need propping up to help survival, and a myriad other things that, hopefully, minds greater than my own will know to come to grips with.
    If we can survive this all physically, the world will pick up again. I pray we all learn something from the experience along the way, not the least of which how to be more mindful of our fellow humans along the way.

    I very much hope you find yourself able to understand that all of what is going on is not some plot to take down the government or sink our economy, but just an imperfect reaction to a set of circumstances that are entirely unfamiliar to us all, and greatly out of our control. We have a unique opportunity to learn something from all of this, as we should from any adversity or even happier occurrence.
    It's all Here. Now.

  42. #42
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    My post above is of course simplistic, but without such a set of guidelines, however simple, we cannot possibly react and act effectively. My basic point is to deal with the most pressing things first. To do the next right thing. Lives need to be protected above all else.
    It's all Here. Now.

  43. #43
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I've got one and two gallon buckets with lids, was just thinking of the lids being contaminated while opening, some of those are a PITA to get off. I guess you could leave a rag in the bleach solution to wipe the lid after, and it could also be used for door handles and pump handles, steering wheel, etc. Just pop the lid off before fueling and wipe away!

    I have an extra-cab and made a plywood platform that spans the whole back area behind the front seats, it's lined with a non-skid pad because I often carry gallons of paint, and it all stays upright. Might be a good place to keep it.
    These are awesome, I keep my dog's food in one. Drawback is they are not cheap.

    Oh, looks like you can buy just the lid and use a plastic bucket. https://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Vittles.../dp/B007KAY4S2

    Fill it with water, put some blea-tch in it and you're good to go. Cool thing about them is they can be spun open or closed with one hand. The Vittles Vault I have has a bail handle on it, which I would think would be a must-have.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  44. #44
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    So much for staying at home.
    Sounds like he's in the same boat I am (sorry, Jirt Dunkie). Not supposed to go out, but gotta pay the bills. Whaddya do?
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  45. #45
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I have an extra-cab and made a plywood platform that spans the whole back area behind the front seats, it's lined with a non-skid pad because I often carry gallons of paint, and it all stays upright. Might be a good place to keep it.
    Yeah, don't get bleach on your carpets! Our Wrangler's rear rug is half destroyed because the previous owner spilled bleach back there, although I'm sure it was not diluted since he was doing a run to the laundromat.
    Go Fact Yourself.

    Real eyes realize real lies.

  46. #46
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,594
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I'm emailing my grocery list to the store and getting curbside pickup, not saying I still won't get the crud but I think doing that reduces the odds a fair amount.
    Same here, use clicklist when possible.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,510
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Yeah, don't get bleach on your carpets! Our Wrangler's rear rug is half destroyed because the previous owner spilled bleach back there, although I'm sure it was not diluted since he was doing a run to the laundromat.
    That bleach is some scary strong stuff! I use it full-strength as eye drops and it does sting just a tad.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  48. #48
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    These are awesome, I keep my dog's food in one. Drawback is they are not cheap.

    Oh, looks like you can buy just the lid and use a plastic bucket. https://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Vittles.../dp/B007KAY4S2

    Fill it with water, put some blea-tch in it and you're good to go. Cool thing about them is they can be spun open or closed with one hand. The Vittles Vault I have has a bail handle on it, which I would think would be a must-have.
    Yeah, need something like that. I just tried the easier lids on the one gallon buckets and they're too difficult for everyday use. I might have to give it a test run and see how it works, then maybe those pricey lids might be worth it. I'm really starting to like the idea of having a mobile wash station.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  49. #49
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Yeah, don't get bleach on your carpets! Our Wrangler's rear rug is half destroyed because the previous owner spilled bleach back there, although I'm sure it was not diluted since he was doing a run to the laundromat.
    Yeah, I'll have to be careful. My platform has about 1.5" high sides on it and should hold any spilled liquid, it's the flipped up seat right behind the platform I'd worry about, might have to wrap it in plastic or something.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    My post above is of course simplistic, but without such a set of guidelines, however simple, we cannot possibly react and act effectively. My basic point is to deal with the most pressing things first. To do the next right thing. Lives need to be protected above all else.
    People just don't want to give up their privilege/sense of entitlement for the sake of saving lives. I pointed out on the SoCal forum that the lockdown on the trails and parks was needed because people don't care if they are passing microbes back and forth....they are doing what THEY want to do. For that, I got a "oof, chill" response. The epitome of self-importance first. I'm beginning to think that we missed the boat that China jumped on with both feet, and so our caseloads are climbing almost unchecked.
    I think we're screwed.
    Just call me Ray

  51. #51
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    895
    Just wanted to add to all the good in this thread and how important wearing a mask is. It seams a lot of other members on this MTB Forum still think riding with their buddies is the best way to flatten the curve and end this. I just started wearing a N95mask/gloves Friday when I had to by some groceries and I've worn rubber gloves the past 2 times at the gas station, but should have worn the mask sooner, especially since there sitting on my shelf at work.

    A video going around that I'm guessing many will find fake, over reacting and a scare tactic.
    https://www.facebook.com/edwin.b.lim...7112906025240/

  52. #52
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Just wanted to add to all the good in this thread and how important wearing a mask is. It seams a lot of other members on this MTB Forum still think riding with their buddies is the best way to flatten the curve and end this. I just started wearing a N95mask/gloves Friday when I had to by some groceries and I've worn rubber gloves the past 2 times at the gas station, but should have worn the mask sooner, especially since there sitting on my shelf at work.

    A video going around that I'm guessing many will find fake, over reacting and a scare tactic.
    https://www.facebook.com/edwin.b.lim...7112906025240/
    I think this is probably the way to go, thanks for posting!

    Now where's my DIY mask thread...
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  53. #53
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Just wanted to add to all the good in this thread and how important wearing a mask is. It seams a lot of other members on this MTB Forum still think riding with their buddies is the best way to flatten the curve and end this. I just started wearing a N95mask/gloves Friday when I had to by some groceries and I've worn rubber gloves the past 2 times at the gas station, but should have worn the mask sooner, especially since there sitting on my shelf at work.

    A video going around that I'm guessing many will find fake, over reacting and a scare tactic.
    https://www.facebook.com/edwin.b.lim...7112906025240/
    A regular mask, not N95, will help a little, but if you have the better one, it will increase the efficiency a lot. It is never going to be 100% but with gloves it may mean the difference between being safer in the grocery store or not. I am still amazed at the fact I am only one of very very few, maybe one in a hundred or more, that I have seen wearing anything at all in the grocery stores here. I still get looks from people when I wear it.
    It's all Here. Now.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,216
    Well China is sending out defective N95 masks, millions of them. Is it on purpose, who knows, probably.

  55. #55
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    895
    So this email just came through from the Infection prevention Dept at my Hospital which contradicts the video I just posted. Now we wonder why everyone is so confused on the right way to go about things. Then again that's life and every question has 10 different answers. I get that the mask may pick up the germs as stated, but so does our clothes and anything else that comes in contact with the particles. I copied and pasted.


    We wanted to inform you of the most up-to-date COVID-19 resources for Hoag staff.
    The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) have been updated since the recent Town
    Halls and are now posted on the WAVE. We would like to call attention to one of the
    more common questions we have been receiving:
    Q: Should I wear a mask all the time in the hospital, a.k.a. universal masking?
    A: No. Wearing a mask outside of caring for symptomatic cases is of no proven
    benefit and can be harmful. Wearing masks outside of a clinical encounter Ė especially
    on an extended basis Ė increases your risk of getting an infection, because
    masks become contaminated from touching them and wearing them incorrectly.
    The hospitals and clinics that are offering or recommending this universal masking
    are doing it, not because of any scientific evidence that supports it, nor from a
    recommendation by the CDC, but rather because of special interest political pressure
    or fear. Some of these special interest groups are putting nurses and doctors
    at more risk and using this crisis as a bargaining tool.
    The Orange County Health Care Agency (OCHCA) has reviewed the policy of universal
    masking. OCHCA is concerned about the use of any infection control standard
    that has not had proper scientific validation and that carries the risk of using
    precious infection control resources in minimal risk settings. Universal masking has
    not been rigorously studied and carries the potential of having large numbers of
    masks being used while there is minimal risk of exposure to COVID-19 or any other
    infectious pathogen.
    If you do wear a mask as part of caring for patients, please wear one of the hospital
    provided masks. We are not able to validate that self-made or personal masks
    offer the same level of protection as our hospital-issued masks.
    Please utilize these additional resources:
    ē There is a COVID-19 link on the WAVE which can be accessed from the home
    page (upper left hand corner) or by clicking on Departments, selecting Infection. All staff
    resources related to COVID-19 can be found here. There is also a COVID-19 link on
    the Medical Staff Portal for our physician and allied health partners.
    ē We have created for the community with COVID-19
    information and several important links to resources from the public agencies on our
    website to help support public education.
    ē For more details information about COVID-19, visit Centers for Disease Control and
    Prevention and Orange County Health Care Agency.

  56. #56
    Fart smeller
    Reputation: Finch Platte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    17,510
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Well China is sending out defective N95 masks, millions of them. Is it on purpose, who knows, probably.
    The state of CA sent out a bunch of masks that were past due date, but the only thing wrong with them is that they were old enough that the rubber bands might have deteriorated. Meh.

    https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15164180.php
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

    "If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

    Heather Heyer

  57. #57
    Pipe Dreamer
    Reputation: Cornfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    So this email just came through from the Infection prevention Dept at my Hospital which contradicts the video I just posted. Now we wonder why everyone is so confused on the right way to go about things.
    Indeed.

    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

  58. #58
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    The state of CA sent out a bunch of masks that were past due date, but the only thing wrong with them is that they were old enough that the rubber bands might have deteriorated. Meh.

    https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15164180.php
    Just a compliance thing 99.9% of the time and nothing to do with function. For the strap to deteriorate they arenít just past due, they would have to be cave man ancient or sitting in a bad spot to break down.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,216
    Probably a expiry date to cover manufacturers legal ass.

  60. #60
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    35,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    These are awesome, I keep my dog's food in one. Drawback is they are not cheap.

    Oh, looks like you can buy just the lid and use a plastic bucket. https://www.amazon.com/Gamma-Vittles.../dp/B007KAY4S2

    Fill it with water, put some blea-tch in it and you're good to go. Cool thing about them is they can be spun open or closed with one hand. The Vittles Vault I have has a bail handle on it, which I would think would be a must-have.
    That lid is cheaper at Loweís. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plas...t-Lid/50094688

    Iíve used one for years for my dog food. Works great and fits any cheapo 5-gallon bucket. The rubber seal keeps it water tight.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,084
    I use those lids and the smaller black buckets HD sells for using and storing topping mud. I like them.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2019, 12:04 PM
  2. I'm soo stuck with something soo easy
    By Scruffynerfhearder in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 10:03 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 05:47 PM
  5. I have been exposed to the light...
    By Ozmosis in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 07:36 AM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.