Something Positive from Corona- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Something Positive from Corona

No, I'm not talking about the blissful buzz from drinking a six pack of Corona beer...

Not sure if others are seeing the same, but with all the stay at home and shelter in place mandates we're experiencing around me, I'm seeing something strange. Since all sorts of activities like soccer, cheerleader, etc., are cancelled, it seems parents don't have any place to dump their kids off at. And since parents can't go to (non essential) work, they're left with nothing to do as well. So now I see all sorts of parents taking walks with their kids. They're playing catch and Frisbee in just about every grassy patch. They're sitting in their front yards engaging with their kids. Riding bikes together. Man... if I didn't know better, I'd say someone turned back the clock to the 60's! I've never see this many families out and about, together. I personally, think this is great! Something positive as a result of our situation.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Absolutely good to see. On the flip side, me think divorce rate will skyrocket once people can crawl out again
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Absolutely good to see. On the flip side, me think divorce rate will skyrocket once people can crawl out again
    or lets see whats filling hospital beds in about nine months.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    Oh yeah
    Round and round we go

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    DUI’s and deaths related to them will go down substantially due to the bars and restaurants being closed.

Gas prices will or have gone down due to less travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Saw at a local gas station in Georgia was $1.29 yesterday

mtbr member
    I paid $1.75 gallon last Saturday.

be1
    the beat goes on
    frisbee is a very social sport. don't play catch with strangers. be safe....

Bikesexual
    We are still at $3 something a gallon.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post

I don't think the prices have dropped due to less travel.
    I brake for stinkbugs

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I saw a $2.99 in the wild yesterday, at an ARCO. I'm sure it's a little cheaper further away from the coast (not counting Costcos).

Nearer to my neighborhood I saw $3.02. I can't remember the last time I saw a price ending in an even number.
    "Thousands of you may die…it is what it is." - Lord Farkwad

Real eyes realize real lies.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I don't think the prices have dropped due to less travel.
    Yah, maybe folks didn't notice but right before this virus shit took over the news, there was a notable disagreement between oil supplying nations, so there's a supply glut right now. Those countries may change their tune as demand ALSO drops globally, but yeah.

No, I've noticed similar about families spending more time with their kids in my neighborhood. I've seen more families out flying kites lately than I have in a LONG time. I've also seen more people out actually walking their dogs, too. One day recently, I think there were half a dozen people in my neighborhood out walking their dogs all at the same time. Usually only see 1 or 2 others at any given time.

9 lives
    No traffic and cheap gas woohoo! It cost me $20.00 to fill my tank yesterday
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Yah, maybe folks didn't notice but right before this virus shit took over the news, there was a notable disagreement between oil supplying nations, so there's a supply glut right now. Those countries may change their tune as demand ALSO drops globally, but yeah.
    Right. I saw crude oil drop below $20 last week, and it's up a few bucks above that now. Most of the overall drop is due to the Saudi-Russia thing, but COVID-19 probably spiked it down a bit further, if only temporarily.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Ah yes, the Coronials...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Then go to a different gas station. Costco in Cypress was 2.59 yesterday and I payed and seen 2.89 at several other random stations last Friday. I could still pay $3 something too at the rip off stations.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    I saw a $2.99 in the wild yesterday, at an ARCO. I'm sure it's a little cheaper further away from the coast (not counting Costcos).

Nearer to my neighborhood I saw $3.02. I can't remember the last time I saw a price ending in an even number.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicane32 View Post
    Then go to a different gas station. Costco in Cypress was 2.59 yesterday and I payed and seen 2.89 at several other random stations last Friday. I could still pay $3 something too at the rip off stations.
    To be fair, I haven't been to a gas station in a few days. So maybe it's dropped some.

No wonder my gf took the truck and left me the Mazda.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Picard has requested a shipment of your cheap gas to his locale. Do you accept Venmo?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    I agree; we love seeing the neighbors outside with their kids. They've started a little movement encouraging people to hang up homemade signs in their front windows to spread some positivity. Lots of good shiznit happening all around us....

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Ah yes, the Coronials...
    In the year 2033 they will be the 'Quaranteens'.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Rides all the bikes!
    I have commented on this "trend" of families spending time together.

I hope after all this is over, maybe less people will focus on working insane overtime to pay for a new fancy car, and settle with a boring car, less OT, and more time with their kids.

Also, I am still glad to be without kids, and being incapable of breeding. Now if only I could be out of work...

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I agree; we love seeing the neighbors outside with their kids. They've started a little movement encouraging people to hang up homemade signs in their front windows to spread some positivity. Lots of good shiznit happening all around us....
    In some of our neighborhoods people have replaced some books in the little "neighborhood libraries" with basic supplies and non-perishable foods. Same philosophy applies: "take some, leave some."

In some of our neighborhoods people have replaced some books in the little "neighborhood libraries" with basic supplies and non-perishable foods. Same philosophy applies: "take some, leave some."
    Nice!
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    DUI’s and deaths related to them will go down substantially due to the bars and restaurants being closed.

$1.39 at Costco two days ago.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Ah yes, the Coronials...
    Lol awesome

I agree with everyone though, families spending time together, people going for walks with their kids (or dogs), cheap gas, no traffic jams.

Other than packed trails, it's pretty fantastic.

mtbr member
    Funny you should mention that. I've noticed a few restaurants selling mixed drinks "to go". Apparently Texas temporarily lifted the rules for barring that as restaurants can only be open for to-go orders in many counties and cities.

Cycologist
    I've been thinking about how this might permanently change somethings. Maybe companies will decide work at home is viable now, what with zoom conference calls, etc; they can save money on facilities with a smaller office space and have people work remotely or have a rotation of workers using the space/working at home. If enough companies did this, it would reduce the rush hour traffic jams and benefit everyone.

I had a 2 hour Zoom meeting this afternoon. That was a long time for any type of meeting.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    A lot of comments about gas prices dropping due to carona v. I guess I haven't noticed that. We've been paying $1.60-$1.70, and occasionally in the $1.50's since before the cv came to life in China, and I haven't seen it drop much since.

All fat, all the time.
    Talking to my folks in Canada, gas was around 1.30/L. Now it's down to 0.70/L.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I've been thinking about how this might permanently change somethings. Maybe companies will decide work at home is viable now, what with zoom conference calls, etc; they can save money on facilities with a smaller office space and have people work remotely or have a rotation of workers using the space/working at home. If enough companies did this, it would reduce the rush hour traffic jams and benefit everyone.

I had a 2 hour Zoom meeting this afternoon. That was a long time for any type of meeting.
    We used to spend about $8k per trainee, 9 years ago, they told me to figure out how to do virtual training, and we've been doing it like that since.

Mind you, in training you do lose some intangibles, but I've learned to actually identify some things even on a virtual environment.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    A lot of comments about gas prices dropping due to carona v. I guess I haven't noticed that. We've been paying $1.60-$1.70, and occasionally in the $1.50's since before the cv came to life in China, and I haven't seen it drop much since.
    Gas prices dropped due to a battle between OPEC and Russia, just coincidental timing that it happened during the pandemic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Gas prices dropped due to a battle between OPEC and Russia, just coincidental timing that it happened during the pandemic.
    Not coincidental. Russia and the Saudis have been at odds over slowly dropping demand for quite awhile, but when they saw what happened to demand in China in January when they locked down, it all came to a head.

Speaking of demand, I am certain that gasoline demand has dropped, because I am no longer commuting 40 miles each day in my pickup truck. That alone should cause a noticeable decrease in demand.

It is pretty interesting. If this stalemate of Russia and the OPEC nations pumping the max continues for a couple more months, there will be nowhere left to store the additional oil. At that point, no one knows what will happen.

The only sure thing is that at some point oil will again rise, and gas prices will go back to where the have been. I wish I had a 350 gallon tank on a rack on my property to fill at these prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I realized that after I posted the gas price drop above. A good coincidence so it shall stay in here.

mtbr member
    Look up. A lot less airplane traffic
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    I notice that at work and at home. First approach for Phoenix from the north starts over my house. My office is in the final approach for Scottsdale. Even the executive jets are less.

I was taking meteorology durring 9/11 and we were doing a lot of extra study with all flights grounded.

mtbr member
    Interesting... this actually works.

Hey Siri, what planes are above?
    Round and round we go

Straight out tha traila
    I rode some trails last weekend and there was a ton of families just out hiking around having fun, it was cool. At one point some kids were cheering me on down a chunky section of trail I was laughing my ass off!

Heck this coronavirus thing might even cure climate change skies are clear, Venice canals are clear, no SUVs driving around, am I right? sorry just had to throw that in there!
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by EugeneTheJeep View Post
    I rode some trails last weekend and there was a ton of families just out hiking around having fun, it was cool. At one point some kids were cheering me on down a chunky section of trail I was laughing my ass off!

Heck this coronavirus thing might even cure climate change skies are clear, Venice canals are clear, no SUVs driving around, am I right? sorry just had to throw that in there!
    I saw that article about the Venice canals, how you can see fish and crabs in them now due to the lack of so much boat traffic. And reports of pollution way down over parts of China.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    For sure the Venice water clearing, although the dolphin story turned out to be fake news, is nothing short of amazing. All over the planet. Satellite pics are showing big time dif in pollution, especially China. Would be nice if some of the changes that come out of this head us on a greener path.
    Except c02 doesn’t drive the climate, and we have no proof it ever has.
    Sorry had to throw that in there
    Round and round we go

I was taking meteorology durring 9/11 and we were doing a lot of extra study with all flights grounded.
    Yeah but that doggammed Elon Musk Starlink though, amiright?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Look up. A lot less airplane traffic
    And it's been nice! Ever since flight approaches moved from VOR to direct GPS over the years, planes tend to come in a lot closer to residential areas on their bottom legs than in the past. I used to not notice DFW approaches on their 4 southbound runways (17C/R, 18R/L). It's gotten to a point where we can't have conversations in the yard, or in the house with the windows open, during peak times. But since the virus, air traffic has come to a halt, although at a devastating economic cost. A pilot friend said their normally daily overbook flights have dropped to less then 10 passengers. That was just before they were grounded. A normal day for DFW is between 1,800 and 1,900 flights a day. I wonder what it is right now.

You don’t have to check expiration dates on milk or other fresh products at the grocery store.

I was getting milk yesterday and I made that comment amongst several others gathering around and waiting in the milk line.

High Desert MTBer
    I love that families are out and about, the usual lifestress seems to be losing its grip and perhaps this can be continued at least to some degree after this is over. One of the reasons I love Latin countries so much is that the culture brings families out to stroll and interact in the cities of an evening. That is heartening

Here's a link to a small group I started with my wife and which is slowly growing which might help people a little. Positivity in such times is paramount. This group was suggested by an organization called the Avaaz Foundation, and there are similar groups growing all around the world. It is pretty cool staying in touch with people all over the place, and be able to hear news from them and offer and gain support. Anyone can do this

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2527802897436321/
    It's all Here. Now.

High Desert MTBer
    You don’t have to check expiration dates on milk or other fresh products at the grocery store.

I was getting milk yesterday and I made that comment amongst several others gathering around and waiting in the milk line.
    How close to you were they in that milk line? That is why I will no longer go to grocery stores. People seem to have forgotten the danger of crowding one another.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Yeah but that doggammed Elon Musk Starlink though, amiright?
    damn right.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    How close to you were they in that milk line? That is why I will no longer go to grocery stores. People seem to have forgotten the danger of crowding one another.
    I went to the grocery store for the first time in about a week. Noticed that the shelves were almost normal looking, almost. Still short on a lot. But people were still crowded pretty close together.

While in line to check out, I was in all my bike stuff (like normal, I rarely drive), and someone I have met once a couple of years ago starts talking to me (I'm an introvert) and immediately wants to shake my hand. Also, cashiers AND baggers handling everything.

I'm not overly concerned with getting ill. But I am concerned with spreading it to others, like some of my older coworkers. My factory is still operating, making parts for Boeing and Airbus.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    No, I'm not talking about the blissful buzz from drinking a six pack of Corona beer...

Not sure if others are seeing the same, but with all the stay at home and shelter in place mandates we're experiencing around me, I'm seeing something strange. Since all sorts of activities like soccer, cheerleader, etc., are cancelled, it seems parents don't have any place to dump their kids off at. And since parents can't go to (non essential) work, they're left with nothing to do as well. So now I see all sorts of parents taking walks with their kids. They're playing catch and Frisbee in just about every grassy patch. They're sitting in their front yards engaging with their kids. Riding bikes together. Man... if I didn't know better, I'd say someone turned back the clock to the 60's! I've never see this many families out and about, together. I personally, think this is great! Something positive as a result of our situation.
    Yes to all of the above.
    I've also noticed it's put the hurt on the local dealers etc that round up the kids after school.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    Yes to all of the above.
    I've also noticed it's put the hurt on the local dealers etc that round up the kids after school.

Do they round them up after their mid-morning gaming sessions now?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Traffic has become downright pleasant since most people are staying home now!

banned
    Jul 2015
    No traffic is the biggest positive I’ve seen here in way over crowded SoCal.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    For sure the Venice water clearing, although the dolphin story turned out to be fake news, is nothing short of amazing. All over the planet. Satellite pics are showing big time dif in pollution, especially China. Would be nice if some of the changes that come out of this head us on a greener path.
    Except c02 doesn’t drive the climate, and we have no proof it ever has.
    Sorry had to throw that in there
    One thing I have noticed is that morons are still morons.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

No kidding, can you believe anyone fell for that dolphin story
    I brake for stinkbugs

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Traffic has become downright pleasant since most people are staying home now!
    So true everywhere!

banned
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The stupidity of all the idiots has never shone so bright during these times.

A waste of time it is is
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Following from example. Have you seen how many people are jammed onto the podium behind the supreme leader? "It's a beautiful thing".

A waste of time it is is
    Something positive?

Name:  90420806_10158095996684183_3975633097403138048_n.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  8.5 KB

Something Positive from Corona-covid-girl.jpg

^ Morning smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by emu26 View Post
    Following from example. Have you seen how many people are jammed onto the podium behind the supreme leader? "It's a beautiful thing".
    First thing I thought of watching all these speeches, yet no reporter in the audience ever addresses it.

mtbr member
    In addition to safely seeing lots of people walking around our 'hood (families together), there's a movement afoot of colorful handmade pics being hung in front windows and positive messages chalked onto driveways. Seems it's happening in towns across America, too.

mtbr member
    I've seen that. Lots of good stuff going on out there...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    In addition to safely seeing lots of people walking around our 'hood (families together), there's a movement afoot of colorful handmade pics being hung in front windows and positive messages chalked onto driveways. Seems it's happening in towns across America, too.
    Sidewalk chalk! I've noticed that! Even saw a couple of hopscotch boards drawn out. Didn't think kids today even knew what that was.

banned
    Jul 2015
    Same thing I’ve seen with selfish Mtbikers who are too proud to get it. Or maybe they are too insecure to ride solo like they should right now. “It’s s beautiful thing”

In my area the parks with pavilions that have multiple picnic tables underneath are yellow caution taped off. The single picnic tables strewn around are available for families.

Kick Start My Heart
    This is pretty cool.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

^ Awesome! Hopefully all went to long term caring homes.

^

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by davez26 View Post
    This is pretty cool.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Sadly, not the same results in SoCal when I watched the news yesterday.

My sister put teddy bears on her window for the kids walking around her hood.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Boris Johnson tested positive.

I can't believe no one that's in that gaggle on the regular has tested positive (as far as we're being told). Just dumb luck, I guess.

mtbr member
    No baseball, why not?

Yankees hospital gowns and masks

Straight out tha traila
    No baseball, why not?

Yankees hospital gowns and masks
    If they would make some NY Yankee TP i would buy it!
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

No known cure
    Deaths in Chicago are down due to the virus
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Duck Fonald
    ^ Morning smile.

First thing I thought of watching all these speeches, yet no reporter in the audience ever addresses it.
    If they did they'd only be singled out with an accusation of being a "terrible reporter" asking "nasty questions."

What the fukc, I ask you America, What. The. FUKC. Wake up.
    "It is what it is."

DJT on US Covid-19 deaths.

Duck Fonald
    In my area the parks with pavilions that have multiple picnic tables underneath are yellow caution taped off. The single picnic tables strewn around are available for families.
    I was in an empty park today, let my dog do her bidness. There was a small sign saying the park was closed. No one was out there. I may have gotten the corona from a picnic table, we shall see.
    "It is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    If they did they'd only be singled out with an accusation of being a "terrible reporter" asking "nasty questions."
    "Do you work here?"

Duck Fonald

Deleted due to dumbfukcery on my part.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 03-29-2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Truck Fump!
    "It is what it is."

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    What do you mean by that?
    I imagine that everyone is staying inside rather than going out and shooting each other.

I’m hoping that this will take the edge off your Coronavirus Blues.

“We are about two weeks away from knowing everyone’s true hair color.”
    “You might as well go ahead and pronounce the ‘L’ in ‘salmon.’ Nothing matters anymore.”
    “Like a good neighbor, stay over there.”
    “If you self-quarantine for your family’s safety, please be smart. I cannot afford to go to 15 baby showers in December.”
    “Back in the day, there was so much toilet paper that people used to literally string it up in the trees of their enemies.”
    “Now that we have everyone washing their hands correctly … next week, turn signals.”
    “You know that stash of fastfood napkins in your glovebox? It’s their turn to shine.”(guilty)
    Over a photo of Rod Serling: “Imagine no restaurants, bars, concerts or sports. You just entered The Twilight Zone.”

high pivot witchcraft

Something Positive from Corona

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Talking to my folks in Canada, gas was around 1.30/L. Now it's down to 0.70/L.

61.9 cents a litre today. I live in the CDN equivalent of Houston. I can't ever remember seeing it this low.

Times are tough...

Something Positive from Corona-img_1369.jpg
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

mtbr member

No doubt all this is giving a lot of people grey hair.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

All fat, all the time.
    I imagine that everyone is staying inside rather than going out and shooting each other.
    Lol he missed that one badly

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Been riding bikes with my kids, no school and nice weather. It's a large desert to enjoy our social distancing

Duck Fonald
    Ah, yes. Derr.

Thanks.
    "It is what it is."

Duck Fonald
    Someone mentioned planes overhead. I like this site: https://planefinder.net/

If you click on the plane, it tells you everything about it- cargo, type of plane, even how old it is and when it first started flying. This may take up a little of my time in the days to come.
    "It is what it is."

Duck Fonald
    I’m hoping that this will take the edge off your Coronavirus Blues.

“You might as well go ahead and pronounce the ‘L’ in ‘salmon.’ Nothing matters anymore.”
    “Like a good neighbor, stay over there.”
    “If you self-quarantine for your family’s safety, please be smart. I cannot afford to go to 15 baby showers in December.”
    “Back in the day, there was so much toilet paper that people used to literally string it up in the trees of their enemies.”
    “Now that we have everyone washing their hands correctly … next week, turn signals.”
    “You know that stash of fastfood napkins in your glovebox? It’s their turn to shine.”(guilty)
    Over a photo of Rod Serling: “Imagine no restaurants, bars, concerts or sports. You just entered The Twilight Zone.”
    I had to send this to my sister, she'll relate to the baby showers one.
    "It is what it is."