So the market is crashing (along with the world)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 70 of 70
  1. #1
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593

    So the market is crashing (along with the world)

    Those that have managed to save some cash during the good years, anyone getting ready to invest in stocks etc now that everything has dropped 60% ish?

    Oil? Tech? Media?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Those that have managed to save some cash during the good years, anyone getting ready to invest in stocks etc now that everything has dropped 60% ish?

    Oil? Tech? Media?

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I have 2 tranches ready. Think I am going to throw down at least one tranche on a medium+ risk indexed fund.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,561
    I am front loading my 401k to contribute as much as allowed now minus enough to make the minimum contribution the rest of the year in order to maximize the company match.

    I have moved some money out of bond funds in my 401k to stock funds.

    We have money set aside to renovate our kitchen. I am tempted to invest that and take out a loan for the kitchen given the low interest rates.

  4. #4
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    I find it disheartening that it is acceptable to profit from adversity. Maybe give some of those profits to people that really need help right now and will in the future?

    I don't know either of you however, and cannot know if you are charity donors anyway, so my apologies if this is the case.
    It's all Here. Now.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I find it disheartening that it is acceptable to profit from adversity. Maybe give some of those profits to people that really need help right now and will in the future?

    I don't know either of you however, and cannot know if you are charity donors anyway, so my apologies if this is the case.
    Investing money in stock, corporations keeps them in business which in turn keeps people employed and working.....why don't you want people to have jobs?

  6. #6
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    Investing money in stock, corporations keeps them in business which in turn keeps people employed and working.....why don't you want people to have jobs?
    Methinks thou dost infer too much.
    It's all Here. Now.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Methinks thou dost infer too much.
    Lol your writing style matches your anti-capitalism beliefs perfectly

  8. #8
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Sheesh!
    It's all Here. Now.

  9. #9
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    By your reasoning, Shakespeare was a communist!
    It's all Here. Now.

  10. #10
    Straight out tha traila
    Reputation: EugeneTheJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    979
    I have an old Ameritrade account I haven't looked at in years, I think I'll throw some coin in there and buy some stuff. Thanks for reminding me! 401k has been maxed out for a looong time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    some weird crazed desert dweller.

  11. #11
    GONE
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,200
    60%???

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,981
    Agreed a great time to invest. Not only are the prices right but your investments will help many a company hold on. Don’t put all your marbles in one game because we don’t know how many will hold on.
    The virus’s toll on life hits the markets. The economy shutdown hits the market. Now cracks in our infrastructure are starting to show. Like police, fd and hospitals. That will send further shockwaves. Not to mention the amount of ppl currently not working is many times greater than those 3.3 million who have claimed.
    Lotsa ppl in my area are buying gift cards from their local businesses to help them hold on.
    Round and round we go

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    If you are in your 20's or 30's, and have decades to recover, sure, have at it. If you are in your 50's or older, don't be a fool. First quarter earnings will be coming out in a few weeks, and when the extent of the damage to some businesses is evident, the market will whipsaw again. I'm not just talking about airlines and hotels, there has been a huge hit to tech, automakers, and any kind of retail. You may see people hoarding TP at Wal Mart and Costco and see think they are doing great, but people aren't going in there and buying TVs, laptops, furniture, appliances, tires and other big ticket items at the rate they usually do.

    Oil companies are another segment that is going to look so bad, that hundreds of billions of this bailout will be given to them. Oh wait, "loaned".

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Methinks thou dost infer too much.
    What?
    From an Englishman?
    I am Shocked and Chagrined!
    I am Mortified and Stupified!
    You misquoted Billy.
    ”Methinks” comes last......

    Talking about other folks’ charity is like talking about their kids.
    Sketchy ground.
    But it is true that when people make more they get to give more......
    Lots of examples these days.
    Something I heard about Drew Brees lately comes to mind....
    Not all capitalists are pigs.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    327
    "It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future" - the immortal Yogi.

    Basically nobody knows. Market could turn into a total shit show for years or could be bailed out by massive money printing or, more likely, something entirely unpredictable. Personally I'm doing nothing - watching my investments decline right now and planning to do my annual rebalancing at the end of the year as usual.

    I've been through a lot of market crashes (and yes I know - "This time it's different") and my biggest mistake has always been over-reacting and trying to time the market. Not this time.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quarterly rebalancing, depending on activity.
    Slow steady consistency.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  17. #17
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593
    Some good points and perspectives.

    I would like to point out (sad that you have to even bring it up) that just because someone is looking to invest and hopefully make a long term gain, has absolutely zero to do with whether or not that person helps others, donates, etc.

    Sheesh.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    What?
    From an Englishman?
    I am Shocked and Chagrined!
    I am Mortified and Stupified!
    You misquoted Billy.
    ”Methinks” comes last......

    Talking about other folks’ charity is like talking about their kids.
    Sketchy ground.
    But it is true that when people make more they get to give more......
    Lots of examples these days.
    Something I heard about Drew Brees lately comes to mind....
    Not all capitalists are pigs.
    Heheh! I guess you missed the fact that by changing the words this became an allusion to the line rather than a quote? I studied this play many years ago, along with several others, and am surprisingly still quite familiar with it, age and infirmity notwithstanding!
    As for the altruistic aspects of making investments at a time of such adversity, I think there may be not a a little swine flu mixed in with the CV. This from the marketwatch website:

    "2. Every company we invest in should either be robust or ‘antifragile’: Robust means the business survives the crisis, while antifragile means it benefits.

    This doesn’t mean these businesses won’t be impacted by the crisis. In fact, we are counting on the fact that some of these companies will be impacted. That is what will create the opportunity to buy them, because most investors will be focusing on the next six months while we’re focusing on the next six years.

    For instance, there are certain companies in the travel industry that we’d love to buy (not airlines) whose business will be disrupted by the coronavirus. We expect their stocks to be kissing dirt, but as long as these businesses survive the virus (we are only interested in the ones that have an excellent chance of doing so), they’ll provide incredible opportunities when COVID-19 is behind us and our lives return to normal. (Which will happen.)"
    It's all Here. Now.

  19. #19
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    lows may be retested. maybe not now, but some airline stocks will be good buys. if ba goes down again jump.

    oddly enough with the down market my investment accounts are only down 10-20%. cash is king.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    I’m just getting into the Shakespeare thing.
    Completely different kind of read, reading plays.
    I have a Reader’s guide to help me crawl along.
    Kinda like reading George MacDonald.
    I have to slow down, but it’s fun when things open up.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    oddly enough with the down market my investment accounts are only down 10-20%. cash is king.
    Same here. I started auto rebalancing more often, quarterly, around 2016 when things heated up. Glad I did now.
    The problem with cash long term is this incessant pumping and debt accumulation. Most people like my lower middle class self probably don’t buy individual stocks anyway.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  22. #22
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    I’m just getting into the Shakespeare thing.
    Completely different kind of read, reading plays.
    I have a Reader’s guide to help me crawl along.
    Kinda like reading George MacDonald.
    I have to slow down, but it’s fun when things open up.
    Weighty issues were a part of many of his plays, but primarily they were entertainment for the masses. They could get racy sometimes, and sometimes played on some pretty base emotions.
    Ever dipped into Moliere or Voltaire? Some good stuff that remains relevant even today. Humans do not change overmuch nor over time unless they wish to.
    It's all Here. Now.

  23. #23
    Log off and go ride!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,691
    We plan on investing our stimulus check. This is a buying opportunity.

    To those that think this is somehow akin to profiting from tragedy, I respond with the money is going to my favorite charity -- the Dave54 Retirement Fund.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BlueCheesehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I find it disheartening that it is acceptable to profit from adversity. Maybe give some of those profits to people that really need help right now and will in the future?

    I don't know either of you however, and cannot know if you are charity donors anyway, so my apologies if this is the case.
    1.) At this point, I am trying to recover what has been lost since the first of the year.
    2.) You will note my discussion of 401k. Pardon me for being responsible and planning for our own future instead of being irresponsible and then whining that others have more and should give me some of theirs.
    3.) We have a son that was born disabled, he is 21 and will live with us as long as we are alive and able to care for him. We have to plan for his future once we are gone too. Any idea what a CBRF costs for per month for what could be 30 years?
    4.) Yes, we are charitable with both our time and money.

    I hope your virtue signalling makes you feel better. However, as you acknowledge, your comments were made from a position of ignorance.

  25. #25
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Same here. I started auto rebalancing more often, quarterly, around 2016 when things heated up. Glad I did now.
    The problem with cash long term is this incessant pumping and debt accumulation. Most people like my lower middle class self probably don’t buy individual stocks anyway.
    i'm still ahead of where i was in 2016 by the grace of god. the cash is for times such as this. hope everybody - both communists and capitalists - get out of this ok.

  26. #26
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Pardon me for being responsible and planning for our own future instead of being irresponsible and then whining that others have more and should give me some of theirs.
    .
    a good part of the population disagree with you here. too bad. i just hope that you and others aren't punished for doing the right thing.

    "God bless us every one."
    - T. Tim

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,047
    Anyone considering a good hard look at what the new future holds? The Atlantic has done great reporting through all this, they paint a pretty bleak picture.

    https://amp-theatlantic-com.cdn.ampp...www.google.com

    I don't think most people have really comprehended what the new normal will look like. I'm kind of in a holding pattern myself. If it looks remotely like what that article spills out I think what I'll be buying something like gold. Money is just paper.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Weighty issues were a part of many of his plays, but primarily they were entertainment for the masses. They could get racy sometimes, and sometimes played on some pretty base emotions.
    Ever dipped into Moliere or Voltaire? Some good stuff that remains relevant even today. Humans do not change overmuch nor over time unless they wish to.
    I began about twenty years ago to build a small personal library of classics and classic authors and such in the best bindings I could reasonably afford. I would pick something I wanted to read and order one more book set aside on a shelf to get free shipping. The idea being to have enough to read after I retired or if times got hard as a primary source of entertainment. I have several hundred volumes or so now, that I now have a bit more time to dive into. Voltaire is on the list. Stuff like Churchill’s History of the English Speaking Peoples, Complete works of George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis,
    Francis Parkman, Mark Twain, Jefferson, Madison, Lincoln, Emerson, Dostoevsky, Plato, Shakespeare, and on and on. I tend to gravitate toward History. Much of this I’ve dipped into over the years but there is so much more. A way to fill the void of a lack of formal education beyond the Mississippi Public school system of 45 years ago. TV is completely dead to me and this internet thing is dying fast. My filter for it is about worn out beyond a reference source, even being limited to the two sites regularly visited.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,019
    The TP shortage is going to lead to a massive influx of bidets in the U.S. culture. I will be investing in toilet companies that will be at the frontlines of ground-breaking, virus fighting technology.

    My ass will thank me later.
    Silly bike things happening.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    There is definitely something to be said for the many self interested who work diligently, and with gracious charity to remain independent of the labor and support of others.
    They provide a continuum of stability to a civilized society. Especially in times like these.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    The TP shortage is going to lead to a massive influx of bidets in the U.S. culture. I will be investing in toilet companies that will be at the frontlines of ground-breaking, virus fighting technology.

    My ass will thank me later.
    As will the noses of your friends, family, and co-workers.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,019
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    As will the noses of your friends, family, and co-workers.
    Thankfully I have few of them!
    Silly bike things happening.

  33. #33
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    1.) At this point, I am trying to recover what has been lost since the first of the year.
    2.) You will note my discussion of 401k. Pardon me for being responsible and planning for our own future instead of being irresponsible and then whining that others have more and should give me some of theirs.
    3.) We have a son that was born disabled, he is 21 and will live with us as long as we are alive and able to care for him. We have to plan for his future once we are gone too. Any idea what a CBRF costs for per month for what could be 30 years?
    4.) Yes, we are charitable with both our time and money.

    I hope your virtue signalling makes you feel better. However, as you acknowledge, your comments were made from a position of ignorance.
    I am sorry to hear of your situation with your son, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

    I am most definitely not virtue signaling, and if voicing an opinion that differs from someone else's is characterized as such, then shame.

    As OZ pointed out, not all Capitalists are pigs, and I have never said as much, and neither do I think so. My point is that many seem to take adversity as a cue to try and make money. Not so distant from pharma companies profiting from opioid drug sales. If you do not fit that category, good.
    We all have a measure of adversity and misfortune in our lives to deal with. We all find different ways to deal with it, because the alternative is never good.
    It's all Here. Now.

  34. #34
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    There is definitely something to be said for the many self interested who work diligently, and with gracious charity to remain independent of the labor and support of others.
    They provide a continuum of stability to a civilized society. Especially in times like these.
    Thank you for your ringing endorsement. You just described my working life to a tee. In over 45 years I have never taken a handout nor missed a single day of work thru sickness How's that for virtue signaling?!?
    It's all Here. Now.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Thank you for your ringing endorsement. You just described my working life to a tee. In over 45 years I have never taken a handout nor missed a single day of work thru sickness How's that for virtue signaling?!?
    There are many more than we suppose I expect.
    The system would have collapsed long ago if not.
    Hard Work and a Generous Spirit as described in general terms are acceptable “virtue signals” AFAIC...The silent underpinnings.

    I suppose the perpetual media hype of victimhood distorts my view sometimes.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Oil companies are another segment that is going to look so bad, that hundreds of billions of this bailout will be given to them. Oh wait, "loaned".
    True
    As Truck ownership is sky high

  37. #37
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    I began about twenty years ago to build a small personal library of classics and classic authors and such in the best bindings I could reasonably afford. I would pick something I wanted to read and order one more book set aside on a shelf to get free shipping. The idea being to have enough to read after I retired or if times got hard as a primary source of entertainment. I have several hundred volumes or so now, that I now have a bit more time to dive into. Voltaire is on the list. Stuff like Churchill’s History of the English Speaking Peoples, Complete works of George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis,
    Francis Parkman, Mark Twain, Jefferson, Madison, Lincoln, Emerson, Dostoevsky, Plato, Shakespeare, and on and on. I tend to gravitate toward History. Much of this I’ve dipped into over the years but there is so much more. A way to fill the void of a lack of formal education beyond the Mississippi Public school system of 45 years ago. TV is completely dead to me and this internet thing is dying fast. My filter for it is about worn out beyond a reference source, even being limited to the two sites regularly visited.
    Voltaire's 'Candide' is one of my lifelong favorites. I urge you to get to it early in the list The conclusion is very meaningful!
    It's all Here. Now.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,216
    No one reads books anymore LOLOL


    Cant you get it in digital form?

  39. #39
    High Desert MTBer
    Reputation: rockerc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,468
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    No one reads books anymore LOLOL


    Cant you get it in digital form?
    Why not try? Reading broadens the mind, digital or analog, it matters not.
    It's all Here. Now.

  40. #40
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593
    People shouldn't be killing innocent trees just to make books.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Voltaire's 'Candide' is one of my lifelong favorites. I urge you to get to it early in the list The conclusion is very meaningful!
    Thanks for the tip.
    I tried the digital thing, read one book and haven’t returned to it since.
    Not sure why, because the idea of so much at your fingertips, and much of it free, has been a temptation for a long time.
    There is just something about the tactile nature of books that is hard for me to let go of.
    But I’m still using film cameras dating back to the middle of the last century....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So the market is crashing (along with the world)-untitled-38.jpg  

    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  42. #42
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Anyone considering a good hard look at what the new future holds? The Atlantic has done great reporting through all this, they paint a pretty bleak picture.

    https://amp-theatlantic-com.cdn.ampp...www.google.com

    I don't think most people have really comprehended what the new normal will look like. I'm kind of in a holding pattern myself. If it looks remotely like what that article spills out I think what I'll be buying something like gold. Money is just paper.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    There's a lot of doom and gloom in that article.

    What if they make a vaccine that works in the next month or two? Power of positive thinking.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,216
    Hopefully there is a vaccine that works, be one rich company who does find the cure.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    Here is why most people are bad at investing.

    Let's say you put money in something on Monday morning, and it loses 10% during the day. You stay in, and it gains 11% on Tuesday. On Wednesday, it loses 10% again, but Thursday, you are up 11%. Score!

    On Friday morning, what do you have? The VAST majority of people will say you are up 2% for the week. No, you are DOWN almost 2%.

    It is 6th grade math, but most people do not grasp 6th grade math.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Here is why most people are bad at investing.

    Let's say you put money in something on Monday morning, and it loses 10% during the day. You stay in, and it gains 11% on Tuesday. On Wednesday, it loses 10% again, but Thursday, you are up 11%. Score!

    On Friday morning, what do you have? The VAST majority of people will say you are up 2% for the week. No, you are DOWN almost 2%.
    People are bad at investing because they, like yourself, have an investment horizon of 5 days.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WHALENARD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    5,047
    Burn.
    OZ, do you ever sleep? You're on here all the time, mang.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

  47. #47
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    People are bad at investing because they, like yourself, have an investment horizon of 5 days.
    Lol no kidding.

    Getting in now, figure at least 5+ years depending how much of a shit show happens.
    But those that don't get in now will be regretting it probably.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  48. #48
    high pivot witchcraft
    Reputation: mtnbkrmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    3,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Lol no kidding.

    Getting in now, figure at least 5+ years depending how much of a shit show happens.
    But those that don't get in now will be regretting it probably.

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    7 year horizon.
    2020 Kona Unit
    2019 Forbidden Druid
    2018 Kona Honzo ST 30th BDay SE
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon Fixed Gear

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Burn.
    OZ, do you ever sleep? You're on here all the time, mang.

    Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
    There is a lot going on, very busy, sleep cycle off, IPad only takes a minute or two.....also this place and one other now and again are the sum total of my internet forays....
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Here is why most people are bad at investing.

    Let's say you put money in something on Monday morning, and it loses 10% during the day. You stay in, and it gains 11% on Tuesday. On Wednesday, it loses 10% again, but Thursday, you are up 11%. Score!

    On Friday morning, what do you have? The VAST majority of people will say you are up 2% for the week. No, you are DOWN almost 2%.

    It is 6th grade math, but most people do not grasp 6th grade math.
    I don't think anyone here is looking to be a day trader.
    Buy now or soon, sit on it for 10 years. 50+ years definitely need to invest now so they can have a financially secure retirement. Sitting and doing nothing and they will have to look to the government to support them

  51. #51
    be1
    be1 is offline
    the beat goes on
    Reputation: be1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I don't think anyone here is looking to be a day trader.
    Buy now or soon, sit on it for 10 years. 50+ years definitely need to invest now so they can have a financially secure retirement. Sitting and doing nothing and they will have to look to the government to support them
    gov't dependence is preferrable to financial independence. the outcome is guaranteed - guaranteed to be bad.

  52. #52
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,682
    shark

    that model 94 .30-30 might be more appealing now.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Fat View Post
    I don't think anyone here is looking to be a day trader.
    Buy now or soon, sit on it for 10 years. 50+ years definitely need to invest now so they can have a financially secure retirement. Sitting and doing nothing and they will have to look to the government to support them
    As I posted above, people in their 50s and 60's don't have 5-7-10 years. They should have been out of this market a month ago, and should stay out.

    The numbers work whether you are looking at an hour a day a week or ten years. Down 10% this year, up 11% the year after, then down 10% and up 11%? Your portfolio is down about 2% over that four year period.

    I'm glad some of you are into propping up a market that will not rebound for many years. Thank you, it makes the pain less for others. It isn't like the Douchebag in Chief is going to flip a lightswitch and all of this is going to end. I *guarantee* the US will still be struggling with this a year from now, and people will *still* be staying away from large gatherings, and not spending money. By then, after many more than 2 Trillion has been used to bail out every major company in the US, the dollar will be worth jack, unemployment will be double digits, and the economic landscape will look nothing like it did two months ago.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bacon Fat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    608
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    As I posted above, people in their 50s and 60's don't have 5-7-10 years. They should have been out of this market a month ago, and should stay out.

    The numbers work whether you are looking at an hour a day a week or ten years. Down 10% this year, up 11% the year after, then down 10% and up 11%? Your portfolio is down about 2% over that four year period.

    I'm glad some of you are into propping up a market that will not rebound for many years. Thank you, it makes the pain less for others. It isn't like the Douchebag in Chief is going to flip a lightswitch and all of this is going to end. I *guarantee* the US will still be struggling with this a year from now, and people will *still* be staying away from large gatherings, and not spending money. By then, after many more than 2 Trillion has been used to bail out every major company in the US, the dollar will be worth jack, unemployment will be double digits, and the economic landscape will look nothing like it did two months ago.
    People in their 50s don't have 5-10 years? Why not?

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: theMeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    As I posted above, people in their 50s and 60's don't have 5-7-10 years. They should have been out of this market a month ago, and should stay out.

    The numbers work whether you are looking at an hour a day a week or ten years. Down 10% this year, up 11% the year after, then down 10% and up 11%? Your portfolio is down about 2% over that four year period.

    I'm glad some of you are into propping up a market that will not rebound for many years. Thank you, it makes the pain less for others. It isn't like the Douchebag in Chief is going to flip a lightswitch and all of this is going to end. I *guarantee* the US will still be struggling with this a year from now, and people will *still* be staying away from large gatherings, and not spending money. By then, after many more than 2 Trillion has been used to bail out every major company in the US, the dollar will be worth jack, unemployment will be double digits, and the economic landscape will look nothing like it did two months ago.
    Nothing like a positive outlook to lift people’s spirits
    Round and round we go

  56. #56
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    shark

    that model 94 .30-30 might be more appealing now.
    Yep, some are hoarding toilet paper.....
    Ammo is probably a better idea

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  57. #57
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    8,593
    I need to print out instructions how to field dress and cook wild turkey (if it comes to that lol)

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    As I posted above, people in their 50s and 60's don't have 5-7-10 years. They should have been out of this market a month ago, and should stay out.
    That is Patently False.
    Many people in retirement are going to be just fine and their long term investments will continue to feed the more secure investment in their portfolios. Rebalancing makes that possible.
    To state that a man in his 50’s does not have 5 years to realize retirement investment appreciation is absurd.

    You just marginalized your postings here completely out of the realm of reason.

    You can’t sell that crap to people with the accounts, I among many others have the secured cash to prove you wrong.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,009
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    To state that a man in his 50’s does not have 5 years to realize retirement investment appreciation is absurd.

    It's not if that man only lives to be 51
    I brake for stinkbugs

  60. #60
    Rabid Lana Fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,914
    I think the worst crash in Wall Street history (maybe not counting this current one) was in 1929.

    How were things looking in 1934?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    It's not if that man only lives to be 51
    First of all that is a fallacious argument.
    But by all means then JB, you have found your financial advisor.
    I heartily suggest you aggressively follow his advice.
    Sell now and stay out.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: J.B. Weld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    14,009
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    First of all that is a fallacious joke.

    fify^ realize it wasn't that good, I thought the little emoji might give it away.
    I brake for stinkbugs

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    That might fly outside the context of your posting history.....
    Otherwise, not so much.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I need to print out instructions how to field dress and cook wild turkey (if it comes to that lol)
    That's easy. Just gotta figure out what dress you want the turkey to wear.

  65. #65
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Ammo is probably a better idea
    Currency of the apocalypse.
    Go Fact Yourself.

    Real eyes realize real lies.

  66. #66
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I need to print out instructions how to field dress and cook wild turkey (if it comes to that lol)

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    dry as all get out in the oven, but pretty good in the crockpot. turkey and dumplings where tasty.

  67. #67
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yep, some are hoarding toilet paper.....
    Ammo is probably a better idea

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    the gem state is wearing off on someone!

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208 View Post
    shark

    that model 94 .30-30 might be more appealing now.
    Short and handy......”Shandy”
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So the market is crashing (along with the world)-untitled-41.jpg  

    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OzarkFathom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    738
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.



  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    327
    I'm in my 60s and am still in the market - around 50% before this all started, somewhere in the lower 40s now. I think of stock allocation as the price we pay to protect ourselves from inflation over the long haul. Sometimes we lose big over the short term, but over the long term this always wins. I expect to live another 30+ years (if COVID don't get me first) and inflation protection has to be part of my strategy.

    Sure it's tempting to just hoard cash. It was tempting to do that the last time the world was ending in 2008 too. You'd have been awfully sorry if you went into cash then (unless you had a magic crystal ball telling you exactly when to get out of the market and when to get back in). Since I haven't yet found that magic crystal ball I'm willing to bet that I'd be sorry if I played that game now - however painful my short term losses this year might be.

Similar Threads

  1. Traveling St Louis to Iowa City... Trails along the way... Some what along the way
    By impdude in forum Midwest - IL, IN, OH, KY, IA, MO, MI
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM
  2. How easy does Carbon frame break due to crashing
    By frehgv in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
  3. crashing on the easy stuff
    By Bsktball55 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-16-2011, 02:22 AM

Members who have read this thread: 113

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.