Snowboarding?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Snowboarding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Snowboarding?

Who's preseason shopping soon?? I'm going to a huge sale at the shop by me this weekend.. Maybe I'll get a new board this year, my 10 year old Burton has seen better days.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I have to force myself to stay away from the local ski shop this time of year. I was buying my pass just a week or so ago and got hung up on a pair of mittens on clearance for a few minutes. I'm still thinking about them, but they'll probably be there for a while. As for boards, I'm good there. Got my board as an old rental at the shop's Labor Day sale last year, and it doesn't see as much use as my skis do, which were put fresh into service last season after I picked them up for free from some guy who didn't want to repair to the small core shot on each base. Both my ski boots and snowboard boots are basically brand new. But those mittens though...
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You need them! I got a pair of pretty decent gloves at Costco over the summer for like 10 bucks. You can never have too many gloves right? What if they get wet?

Someone on Craigslist (I don't know why) gave away a brand new board boots binding and goggles 2 days ago.. So I sold the board on cl today, but the bindings are flows so I'm gonna try them out, and the boots actually fit, so I'm gonna try out the boa system cause I have the Burton speed lace boots and don't like them at all. I didn't know if I was gonna get raped or if I won a prize. I met him in queens and he basically put them on the sidewalk and left.

Last season I cracked my omen so I'm looking for a custom or something along those lines I think. I'd love a flying v, but the amount of ice we get over here it's not gonna do me any favors. Or stray away from Burton. I've only ridden their boards but there are so many companies now. I haven't shopped for a board since 04, I have no idea what's going on now. I'm just looking for an all mountain board that can handle some messing around and plenty of ice.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I use a wide, big (164) Burton board, and that's really all I know. I'm used to big skis, and I need the wide board because I have big feet. It's pretty soft, but I don't use it enough to care too much. I mounted some Flow bindings on my roommate's board last winter. Absolutely hated them. Besides them being more of a pain to install than standard bindings, the fact that the heel moves means that it's not going to be as tight or rigid as a standard binding. So my roommate spent a few extra seconds waiting for me at the top of the lift, not worth it in my opinion.

I really like the Burton speed zone lacing on my Forum boots. I haven't tried Boa, but compared to standard laces speed zone kicks ass. It's faster and easier to get a snug fit, and it's easy to loosen them up for the lodge or walk through the parking lot or whatever.

I got a $25 certificate for the shop when I bought my pass and it's not gonna spend itself and I need to stop by the shop to pick up more wax anyways.... and that certificate is only good for $50+ purchases. $50 of wax is way more than I'll use over the season...

mtbr member
    During the time where I snowboarded every weekend, I helped a local shop design their yearly catalog. I also helped them print it, since I had the inside track on printing companies who basically didn't charge me. I just paid for the materials which was around $500.00. I billed the shop $7000.00, which was a big discount. The job would of cost around $10K. They gave me a check for $2K and said they'll pay the rest later. I told them to give me $4K in store credit and call it even. The owner jumped on that deal with the quickness. I ended up getting...

Palmer Honeycomb Snowboard (158)
    Drake Reload Binding
    Burton Toast Jacket
    Burton Toast Pants
    Burton Toast Gloves
    Dragon D1 Goggles
    Ride Ful Boots
    Wigwam Socks

All that ended up to be $2000. I still had $2000 to go...so I got my brother a GNU board, same Drake Bindings and the same boots. Added some Oakley goggles for him and still had around $500.00 in credit and I told him to just call it even. My brother already had the top of the line Burton gear so he didn't need any of that. What sucks is that after I got all that, I was biking and fractured my tailbone, so I couldn't even ride that winter and I slowly got out of snowboarding altogether. Probably used everything 5 times.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    I got dem gloves. Leki Griffin S. I don't plan on using the Leki Trigger system for my ski poles, but it's an interesting bit of integration. 50% off because they're last season's model. They seem like a good replacement for my old, puffy synthetic gloves.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I ended up getting a custom today. Had to do it. Found one on cl for 125, never used. So now I just need to sort out my binding situation tomorrow. Either get the channel adapters for the flows, or get some channel bindings. Either way I miss the snow.

I broke my foot 2 years ago and couldn't snowboard the season before last, so last season I went 2x a week, sometimes 3 to make up for it.

I use liftopia so it was dirt cheap especially during the week. My friend is a cop and he has off week days, so I go with him. My other friend is a cpa so I go with him on the weekends. It worked out pretty good for me. There's also an awesome bbq joint near the mountain that I miss. I'm counting the days.

Shakester, thats awesome and sucks at the same time. My gf got pretty mad at me since the whole winter I was basically gone, but i told her if she doesn't learn she should get used to it... But in reality after we get married I'm sure i won't use my brand new gear very often. I bought all new stuff besides a board last winter, so I'm planning to get some use out of it before I propose haha

My new board! I've been waiting to ditch my old one.. It was good, but a lots changed in 10 years.

Professional Crastinator
    I did my pre-season shopping in May...

I went to pick up my wife's skis from tuning and walked out with a new NeverSummer Legacy for 50% off. My old Forum was over 10 yrs. old. I don't live in a ski area, and I mostly cruise and carve rather than huck and grind, so my stuff doesn't wear out too fast.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

****** to the dirt
    Will be taking in my skis in soon but scared that I might have to buy new ones since the edges are really thinned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I got a set of cartel bindings for 60 bucks! I love pre season

gobsmacked Moderator

Snowboarding?

Skis!!!!!!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Skis!!!!!!
    Skis!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Snowboard!!!!!! Skiing is so boring. You're like on these 2 things and you slide around or something.... Haha

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Snowboard!!!!!! Skiing is so boring. You're like on these 2 things and you slide around or something.... Haha

Right!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSG2aSEF-E

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8cfE910O88M
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That's not fair rap music makes everything look cool

That's not fair rap music makes everything look cool

Fixed it for ya..

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hTSG2aSEF-E

gobsmacked Moderator

Snowboarding?

My ski friends who all abandoned me for snowboards have all returned in the last few years. I find that interesting... And telling.

But. I'm not gonna be one of those obnoxious wheel size zealot. To each their own.

And. SKIS!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Obviously I'm just kidding. I ride with skiers and snowboarders.. I just make fun of the skiers a lot... And use their poles and hang on to their jackets on the flats

gobsmacked Moderator

Snowboarding?

Obviously I'm just kidding. I ride with skiers and snowboarders.. I just make fun of the skiers a lot... And use their poles and hang on to their jackets on the flats

Haha. Yeah. I pulled too many to count boarders.

mtbr member
    Doubt I will add a board this year pretty set. Usually pick up next years model in March at demo. Anyway wish bikes were as cheap as snowboards. Dreaming of a new bike when you know you need a lawnmower and car is the definition of being settled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snowboarding?-jan-2014-077.jpg  

UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    I work the floor and tune a few days over the winter at my local shop to keep my discounts... Horrible for my bank account. Here is the run down of equipment purchased so far this fall...
    Wife= Volkl Kenja, Marker Griffon, Salomon Quest 90
    Son= Volkl RTM Jr. and Dalbello CX3
    Me= Lib Tech Hot Knife, K2 Formula, Volkl Mantra, Marker Jester

Wife and I should be good for a couple of years now but the boy will need new stuff next season.