REALLY?

Snakes, snakes...and more snakes

Spotted one a few weeks ago on a ride down a local trail, 4-5 foot long, and today, found a 4 footer in the back yard and a small one about a foot long just a couple feet right outside my front door, I dig it actually, snakes everywhere.

Also worthy of mention, saw a condor, and a coyote (on the same ride/trail I saw the snake on a few weeks ago). And on my ride today saw a doe w/ two little fawns on my way up the trail. Lots of wildlife where I live, its awesome.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Axe
    Custom User Title

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Riding my commuter to my buddies house and saw a black snake chilling kn the side of the road. Probably 5ft. It startled the bajeebus outta me.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    Riding my commuter to my buddies house and saw a black snake chilling kn the side of the road. Probably 5ft. It startled the bajeebus outta me.
    Pinkbike feet?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Pinkbike feet?
    Wut? Are you trying to call me a pansy? If so then yes, I am.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

local trails rider
    It has been a while since I last saw a snake. Yesterday, I saw a stick moving across the trail:

Vipera berus - common European viper

... photo taken just off trail.

About 40cm / 16"long, I think.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Wait for it... Wait for it.... Some jackwagon is going to say something about how he carries a gun to kill every snake he sees or how he smashes them with rocks whenever he comes across them and the thread is going to explode into 10 pages of arguing in a matter of a couple hours. Watch.

9 lives
    little garter snake, sunning itself beside the trail (pic taken a few weeks ago)

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Wait for it... Wait for it.... Some jackwagon is going to say something about how he carries a gun to kill every snake he sees or how he smashes them with rocks whenever he comes across them and the thread is going to explode into 10 pages of arguing in a matter of a couple hours. Watch.
    ..crickets

banned
    There was a big 'ol Texas rat snake stretched across the trail today. I rounded a corner, gave out a big "Oh, sh|t!" and tried to hop over him. I know I got the front wheel up and think I unloaded the rear. Skidded to a stop about 10 feet away and tried to get a photo but he was already slinking away. Trail was about 24" wide at that point so I'd she it was at least 36" long. Fat thing, too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Saw this yesterday on my ride. Probably 5 feet long...not pinkbike feet...whatever that means He didn't budge a bit. Something about snakes. They are cool and scary all at the same time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-snake.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    .not pinkbike feet...whatever that means
    From urban dictionary:

One Pinkbike foot is equal to any length less than 12 inches.

The expression "Pinkbike Feet" often refers to the frequent overestimation of height and length of mountain bike jumps and stunts on the website Pinkbike.com.

A "Pinkbike ruler" is a ruler that would be used to measure pinkbike feet.

A DIY pinkbike ruler is quite easy to make, as the only requirement is that it be less than 12" long. Remember, the shorter you make your pinkbike ruler, the longer and higher your jump will be in pinkbike feet.

Konabender666- check out these pics o me hittin my new 15 foot drop I bilt in my parents back yard. (Ins. pic of 6' drop)

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    i kill em with my crossbow.

Is not amused
    Not really concerned about snakes around here. Large snapping turtles on the other hand bring me to a halt as they love to sit in the middle of the trail, always pissy too.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Hi.
    I saw this huge black mamba earlier, then I zipped up my pants.

All fat, all the time.
    darnit...was just coming in to make a joke about a trouser snake....too late.

I have seen a couple this year, one big one on the trail, not sure what kind, very dark green/brown-ish? pretty long & fast though. Then a small one in the yard the other day, very interesting markings, def wasn't a garter snake.

I love seeing the wildlife on the trails (& in the yard), lots of deer, sometimes wild turkey in the front yard...went screaming by a turtle on a fast downhill section the other day, little guy didn't even flinch at the fat tires going 20+mph an inch away lol.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

That Time Of Year Again…

It's been in the 60°'s to 70°'s for a week or more where I live in Colorado. And the snakes are on their way out of hibernation. As I'm sure in other areas as well. I saw a garter snake a couple day's ago on my ride. So I'm sure the Rattlers are coming out as well. Anybody else see any yet? Be sure to get some photos and post them up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    I've seen two or three Gopher snakes, and two rattlers so far.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member

Snakes, snakes...and more snakes

My buddy Zon's snake story from the NorCal board -
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...9#post10289859

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

see me rollin, they hatin
    i love snakes. very much.
    fap

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    i love snakes. very much.
    Must resist making the obvious comment...
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

what kind of comment?

fap

[QUOTE=NicoleB28;10291813]what kind of comment?

What's the wrist band for? Nice King / Corn snake.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

oh i forgot to take off my looney bin bracelet!

wherever i was, a petting zoo or something made us wear those. i think it was a milk snake (alright, keep the jokes coming!)
    fap

wherever i was, a petting zoo or something made us wear those. i think it was a milk snake (alright, keep the jokes coming!)
    Yeah no comment on the looney bin wrist band. But Corn,Milk and King snakes there are so many variations it's hard to tell between them.

I dd what you see there.
    I don't know if I've ever come across any snakes on my rides. I haven't ever asked the other people if they're lawyers.....

... where'd that midget with the cymbal go???
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

banned
    Last Sunday we saw a pretty good sized rattler on the trail. My buddy rolled a couple rocks past it to get it to move. As the 2nd rock rolled past, the snake struck it with perfect timing. Then it went just off trail and rattled as we hurried by.

Last night we saw a "teacup" rattler. Would fit in your palm, the little cutie.

mtbr member
    what kind of comment?

Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

Oh Nicole you were right it is a Milk Snake. When I lived in upstate N.Y, as a kid I used to catch Eastern Milk Snakes. This link there is a photo of the one you are holding. But also on the right there is a photo of the Eastern Milk Snake with brown / white and black markings. And what I thought was cool is on that snake the belly has a checker board pattern of black and white squares. Check it out Google Go to this link and scroll to the bottom picture and see the belly of the snake with the checkerboard pattern. Eastern milk snake

Something else about the Eastern Milk Snakes that I used to catch as a kid. If a Milk Snake is alarmed, it will quickly vibrate its tail. If the snake is in dry leaves at the time, this can mimic the sound of a rattlesnake. It used to scare the crap out of me when they did this.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.

i just think it's cool that they look so much like coral snakes.
    fap

Yep you know what the old saying is to tell them apart before you fondle them. The saying goes black on yellow kill a fellow red on black friend of jack.

mtbr member
    Our saying was similar 'cept it went "Red and yellow kills a fellow..."

A looong time ago the Savannah Natural Science museum would organize Herptile field trips. We went all around southern GA, the Okefenokee Swamp and occasionally into north FL. I think in the many trips, night hunts, etc I went with them we only once caught a Coral. Usually found Scarlet snakes. There was one trip to SC where we found quite a few Scarlet Kings which were a real nice find. In the Fall we would hit the old cornfields and plus up the museum's collection of various rattlesnakes. Lots of Eastern Diamondbacks, Canebrakes and Timber rattlers.

Over that time I had built up quite a collection, but unfortunately my family moved and I had to let my entire collection go. About 3 yrs later when I ended up in AZ for college I started another collection of southwestern herptiles, but then I went into the Army and had to let everything go again.

I've been tempted to start another collection now that I'm settled in NC, but up until now it has all been catch and release mainly to save the snakes from the haters who want to kill them.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Something else about the Eastern Milk Snakes that I used to catch as a kid. If a Milk Snake is alarmed, it will quickly vibrate its tail. If the snake is in dry leaves at the time, this can mimic the sound of a rattlesnake. It used to scare the crap out of me when they did this.
    I caught gopher snakes and CA king snakes when I was a kid and they did the same thing.

We have these mountain kings in our local mountains, although not as commonly seen as rattlers & gopher snakes:

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    That's a sign that you like playing with danger. That was already abundantly clear.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    I caught gopher snakes and CA king snakes when I was a kid and they did the same thing.

We have these mountain kings in our local mountains, although not as commonly seen as rattlers & gopher snakes:

Mountain Kings are biting little bastages! I've caught several and every single one of them bit me. Gorgeous beauties, though!

Here's a pic I took a few years ago that I haven't posted in some time. I had a lot of fun with this Great Basins Gopher snake. These guys put on a great show, huffing and puffing, hissing loudly, striking repeatedly. It's all show and no go though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-dscn1355.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^^^ That's pretty cool, Hawg.

Here's a yellow-bellied water snake I caught in my parents' pool. We were eating lunch, looked out the kitchen window, and saw it with a toad in its mouth. I went out there, it dropped the toad and got in the water, swam around, then I grabbed it with the net. (I'd like to say I 'Steve Erwined' it and caught it bare-handed, but it would've tagged me for sure.) I let it go at a creek down the road.

OTB Pro
    Saw my first rattlesnake while hiking last year. Happened to walk right past it as I was in thick brush and it started rattling, scared the crap out of me as I was not paying too much attention. Was awesome to see one in the wild though, was quite a big timber rattler. Snakes scare me to death but they are awesome animals.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    This one is a San Diego Gopher snake. Anyone want to see some Mojave Green Rattler pics?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-gopher-snake-6-22-2011-2-.jpg  

I had an incredible ride today. A perfect 70° day and dead still and sunny. As I said earlier we have had almost a week of this weather. I didn't see any snakes today but I did see several Lizards for the first time this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yea Hawg, post them.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Yea Hawg, post them.
    Ohhhh, alright. These lil' buggers are all from our property in Yucca Mesa, CA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-dscn1327.jpg  

Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-mohave-green-rattler.jpg  

Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-mgr-9-10.jpg  

Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-mean-joe-green.jpg  

this thread caused me to have a dream that a big snake fell out of the sky and landed on me. thanks guys.
    fap

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    this thread caused me to have a dream that a big snake fell out of the sky and landed on me. thanks guys.
    Do you mind if I asked what the snake did and where it went after it dropped on you? I mean, that could be a gift from God depending on how you look at it.

I dd what you see there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Do you mind if I asked what the snake did and where it went after it dropped on you? I mean, that could be a gift from God depending on how you look at it.
    Or Samuel L Jackson

2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Haaa! "Snakes on a plane".

i jumped back, and it was just laying there coiled on the ground. i suspected a bird dropped it because there were birds everywhere. it was like a black water snake.
    fap

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    i jumped back, and it was just laying there coiled on the ground. i suspected a bird dropped it because there were birds everywhere. it was like a black water snake.
    Wait a second? There's a picture of you kissing a Milk Snake a few posts up but you jumped back from this snake? Startled you I guess...

it got pretty much tossed at me! and it was big. i love snakes, i just run over and grab them if they dont seem large enough to bite the crap out of me (we're talking little garter snakes round here) but yeah, if somebody has a pet snake or at a zoo, etc, i 'm all over it.
    fap

REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang 21 View Post
    ^^^ That's pretty cool, Hawg.

Here's a yellow-bellied water snake I caught in my parents' pool. We were eating lunch, looked out the kitchen window, and saw it with a toad in its mouth. I went out there, it dropped the toad and got in the water, swam around, then I grabbed it with the net. (I'd like to say I 'Steve Erwined' it and caught it bare-handed, but it would've tagged me for sure.) I let it go at a creek down the road.

DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    This one is a San Diego Gopher snake.
    Now those can be some mean bastiges. I caught one many years ago and it struck me repeatedly. I kept it for a while, fed it live mice and gave it a nice warm enclosure. Whenever I opened the cage to feed or water it, it would rattle its tail. Once time I forgot to latch the cage, and it got out. I found it in my closet under the hanging clothes, and when I went to grab it, it struck again. That weekend I turned it loose back where I caught it.

OTOH, years before that I caught a 6-footer in my parents' front yard, and it was the most docile thing ever. I could let it out to crawl around the living room and it would never even try to get away. I didn't keep it long, though, and turned it loose in the hills.

Somewhere in between those snakes I caught a CA king after a pickup soccer game. It slithered right up to us while we were hanging out on the grass field. Again, very docile, like it had been someone's pet. Kept it for a while, fed it well, turned it loose.

Should never have taken them out of their environment in the first place, but I was young and dumb.

it got pretty much tossed at me! and it was big. i love snakes, i just run over and grab them if they dont seem large enough to bite the crap out of me (we're talking little garter snakes round here) but yeah, if somebody has a pet snake or at a zoo, etc, i 'm all over it.
    My x girlfriend is the same way. The problem is she lives outside of San Diego in a desert region where there are tons of Rattlesnakes.

mtbr member
    Thread bump!

This one was in my parents' carport under their smoker. They used to kill anything that slithered just because it was a snake, but I've managed to convince them that they're beneficial and just out to make a living like the rest of us.

Texas Rat Snake
    These guys are great climbers. It's not uncommon to see them in trees, barn rafters, or going up the side of a brick wall. They get pretty long (6+ feet?) and sometimes vibrate their tail when they're agitated, which can cause them to be mistaken for rattlers if they're in loose, dry ground cover. This one was about 4 feet long.

Please post up your snake pics if you've got them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've seen two rattlesnakes and several gopher snakes this year already.

mtbr member
    Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-dscf0803.jpg
    caught this Garter last week while out for a ride.
    i see a lot of snakes in my travels and some have 2 legs.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008

Grand Canyon Rattlesnake

This is the "Grand Canyon" sub-species of the Speckled rattlesnake. Taken at Lake Mead, NV.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-dscn2769.jpg  

Maaaaan
    Some of you wouldn't want to go riding with me.
    These are some Speckled rattlers from Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City NV.
    I took the pic of the one about to strike from about 18" away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-mtbr.-sized.jpg  

Snakes, snakes...and more snakes-speckled-rattler-par-none.jpg  

Communist Party Member Since 1917.

I didn't do it
    Looks like the West will have a bumper crop of rattlers this year thanks to El Niño.

El Niño could spur uptick in snakebites this winter
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Still have not seen a snake in Las Vegas

Quote Originally Posted by terrasmak View Post
    Still have not seen a snake in Las Vegas
    Go out in the desert at night and you'll be overwhelmed with rattlesnake sightings.

Members who have read this thread: 0