mtbr member
    Jan 2009

SMOKERS! Keep your !@#$%^ butts to yourselves!

Listen, if you want to smoke, fine! I enjoy a cigar once and awhile.
    But PLEASE!,
    DON'T THROW YOUR LIT CIGARETTE BUTTS OUT ON THE GROUND!
    I don't want to see them shooting out your car window.
    I don't want them thrown on my lawn.
    I don't want you littering with burning refuse ANYWHERE!

Just stub it out and put it in the damned ashtray!
    Put it in MY ashtray! Just don't flick it away burning, to announce your shitty presence!

I think it shows a persons BASIC DISTAIN FOR THE REST OF HUMANITY!
    As such, caning, like in Singapore, should be the starting penalty!
    Or a road flare in your lap!

Seriously, look at the tragedy playing out in Colorado now. Please don't contribute to that
    unfortunate mess by enjoying a second of laziness!
    If you want to indulge yourself in a bad habit. Great!, I support your Constitutional right to do so. But MAN UP! Take responsibility for your mess and CLEAN UP after yourself!

Sorry, RANT OVER!
    Probably preaching to the choir here!
    I'm a gonna go out an ride me bike now.
    Peace.

mtbr member
    You seem to forget that smokers are the only ones with rights.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mnoutain bkie rdier
    They typically don't throw wrappers or paper out the window, but somehow a cigarette butt is totally OK

I guess it is a different category of trash...somehow acceptable in their minds. They just outlawed smoking on the beach in San Diego because the trash got so bad.

I did a few beach clean ups in the past and literally 90% or so of the trash we picked up were cigarette butts.

Other types of butts on the beach are totally fine though.

Never Forget 9-11
    I've always wondered why smokers think it's ok to throw butts on the ground. Maybe a smoker will chime in.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

mtbr member
    In WV there is an actual law against it. Not just littering, which it is, but worded in such a way that it's specifically illegal to throw butts out. Not sure if the penalty is different.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

since 4/10/2009
    I actually saw some fools tossing plastic soda bottles out the windows of their car one day. I got their plate no. and reported the f'ers to the police.

But I agree that cigarette butts are a pervasive sort of garbage. so many grass fires are started because people throw them out their car windows on the highway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Due to the fire conditions, most outdoor smoking in "unimproved" areas is banned in Colorado and Wyoming right now... yet when I was hiking last week I still saw people smoking in the forests, and tossing their butts. UGH! At the very least field strip the damn thing...

mtbr member
    That's what pisses me off about smokers. No regard for others. Wanna smoke? Great. I encourage it. I am in respiratory therapy. I need the job security. But keep your poison and trash to yourself.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FujNoob View Post
    I've always wondered why smokers think it's ok to throw butts on the ground. Maybe a smoker will chime in.
    I've never understood this either.

When I'm at a stoplight and I see someone toss a butt out the window, I usually feel a compulsion to go throw it back in the car! (haven't acted on it ... yet!).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member

Oh I've done that more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    I've never understood this either.

When I'm at a stoplight and I see someone toss a butt out the window, I usually feel a compulsion to go throw it back in the car! (haven't acted on it ... yet!).
    Not thrown it back, but when the opportunity strikes I will pick up the butt and say "Excuse me, you dropped something." people get REALLY mad and sometimes want to escalate, but then they realize they dont have a leg to stand on.

I think the worst thing is when people dump the whole ashtray on the ground.
    germs, needles, milk, death, snakes, mushrooms, heights, crowds, elevators

mtbr member
    My problem with smoking is that it's an imposing habit. and most smokers for some reason some smokers just don't get it.

If I was to walk around and splashing my drink all over your family, you'd be pissed right? now you know how i feel every time you decide to light one up right next to the front entrance of the movie theater, or restaurant I'm trying to take my family to. Maybe I should do that, just start splashing water on people that are blowing smoke everywhere and remind them of the irony...

mtbr member
    Or spit tobacco juice in their face as you walk by.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by citiznkain View Post
    My problem with smoking is that it's an imposing habit. and most smokers for some reason some smokers just don't get it.

If I was to walk around and splashing my drink all over your family, you'd be pissed right? now you know how i feel every time you decide to light one up right next to the front entrance of the movie theater, or restaurant I'm trying to take my family to. Maybe I should do that, just start splashing water on people that are blowing smoke everywhere and remind them of the irony...
    And for that reason, I don't allow smoking at my house. Not inside. Not outside on the patio. Not even at my mailbox.

I got cancer because of secondhand smoke. I'm allowed to be militant about it.

Sweep the leg!
    A neighbor has weekly bible study on Monday evenings so the street fills up with cars once a week. A few years ago I was doing something in my driveway when one of the attendees flicked what was left of her lit cigarette in my driveway as she walked by. Rather than blow up I picked it up and walked to the door of the neighbor. When he answered I asked if he'd "return this to the woman who dropped it in my driveway." It was still lit. My returning the cig prompted a change in topic for that evening's study. He's a very good neighbor so he made a point to stress the "do unto others" that night.

The next week the lady stopped by and apologized for tossing the cigarette.

So maybe there is hope for them?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Cutting Edge Technology
    It's like all the garbage you see right next to the jersey barriers on the freeway but when your walking or biking down the street.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    In a recent event for litter pickup our new mayor put on the amount of cigarette butts amounted to almost 80% of ALL the trash they picked up in the downtown area. 80%!!! It was almost a ton of butts.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    not all smokers are idiots. out here in cali most are pretty decent about policing their butts ( at least where i live). but when the folks from our east coast office come out you can tell by the pile of butts in front of the office.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm still weening myself off of cigarettes. From over a pack a day when I was bartending down to I might have a few on the weekends if I drink.

I use an ashtray in my car if I smoke in my car.

If I'm outdoors it's easy to put the cigarette out and put it in your pack.

Then again, when I was younger I got pulled over for throwing a cigarette out of the window of my car and that scared me enough to never litter.

I've been guilty of this in the past (5-6+ years ago in my teens) but after having a scare by the police and not being ignorant and starting to care about the enviornment it isn't a problem for me anymore.

mtbr member
    I smoked for many years and not all of us are idiots (quit a year ago) .. It bugs me too when someone flicks one on the ground.

When I smoked, I always put them out and threw them away properly. Hell, in my, Jeep, I always kept a half bottle of water where I would put the cig when done to make sure it was out and to keep the jeep from smelling like an ashtray..

Just remember there are always a few bad apples that make the whole lot look bad.

We all have habits that others may not approve of, and not all smokers are f#kt@rds.

meow meow
    some homeless guy was throwing lit ciggerette butts at my mom and i when we were using a redbox. kinda makes you wish blockbuster was still around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    some homeless guy was throwing lit ciggerette butts at my mom and i when we were using a redbox. kinda makes you wish blockbuster was still around.
    I would have fed that guy a knuckle sandwich.

Ride More, Work Less
    When we do road side clean up, we have to skip the butts or our troop of 20+ scouts could never finish. We have discussed the issue several times and there are honestly a couple of simple solutions.

Option 1- require X minutes of clean up per pack. Scan their "smoker ID" card and start a tally. Then require them to collect butts for the time. This would fix the problem real quick.

Option 2- hold a deposit on the butts like coke bottles of yesteryear. make the deposit enough so that there is an incentive for homeless or other insipired businessmen to collect and the streets will be clean. the unclaimed butt deposited could be used to pay for a small fraction of the Medicare expenses the smokers will require as they age.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    the unclaimed butt deposited could be used to pay for a small fraction of the Medicare expenses the smokers will require as they age.
    isnt that what the $6+ per pack of tax NYC charges is for?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    While you're at it, keep your filthy smoke to yourself too. If I could shoot every cigarette holding hand dangling out of a car window I would!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    While you're at it, keep your filthy smoke to yourself too. If I could shoot every cigarette holding hand dangling out of a car window I would!
    im sure that cig is far worse than all the cars surrounding you. would you still shoot me if it was a J hangin out the window?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    im sure that cig is far worse than all the cars surrounding you. would you still shoot me if it was a J hangin out the window?
    The irony is cigs are worse than modern cars!

mtbr member
    After reading each post I said to myself, wow, there are other people out there in the world that do not appreciate seeing smokers (Iam an ex-smoker of 14 years and quit smoker for 25) smoke. I can not go out into public to enjoy life without having to be exposed to their second hand and side stream smoke. Tennessee is a no smoking in public building state now and I say haleluja however when stopped at a red light I still suffer, If I were to go to an outdoor movie, concert or sports event including at the school I teach at I am forced to inhale their second hand smoke. I believe smoking should be banned in public all together. If you want to smoke em, smoke em in your own home and without your children present. Smoke em in your car with the windows rolled up so only you are subjected to the second hand smoke and once again, not with your children in the car. Now let's talk about butts, Smokers, their yours, so either stop pitching them out the window of your car, take em home and through them away in your trash. Take you soda bottles, water bottles, beer bottles and all of your other trash and do the same with it. Thus ends the rant.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

mtbr member
    Yeah, I love driving with the windows down in the summer. I hate using my AC. It pisses me off when I have to roll up my windows because the people in the car(s) in front of me have to spew their filth out their windows for me to have to inhale. Smoking and driving should be illegal, for that reason and the fact that it's a distraction.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Wow, I got only my second negative rep ever from this thread! I quote:

"I bet you're perfect, NOT!"

Unsigned, of course. But at least the neg repper properly used 'you're' properly, so that is good, at least. I'd pos rep you for that if I knew who you were -- I do appreciate proper grammar.

And since I can't respond directly to the neg repper: no, I'm not perfect -- I make my mistakes. But I don't intentionally throw burning pieces of paper and styrofoam (or whatever cig butts are made out of) out the window of my truck. Seems like an easy thing to avoid doing!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nobody is perfect, and we all hopefully learn from our mistakes. I know I did when it comes to smoking.
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slozomby View Post
    Contents are fairly equivalent, FYI. Some things are higher (like benzene), while others are lower. It's still smoke.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    tl;dr the whole thread, but living in an urban area, cigarettes are hardly an issue litter wise. people throw all types of crap on the side walk.

and whoever said that smokers are the only people with rights need to pull their head out of their rear end and actually think about other people.

i don't know where you live, but in VA, a state that grew because of tobacco and still gets a ton of money from tobacco, you aren't allowed to smoke in bars/restaurants, and a ton of places are putting no smoking signs up outside. you can't smoke anywhere near hospitals, near building entrances. they build these little things that look bus stops and say to go smoke in there.

now thats all fine and dandy, but when you think about all of the other annoying things people do its ridiculous. with how much smokers are taxed they deserve some sort of benefit. being cramped on a bus between 2 fat people is much more annoying than the smell of cigarette smoke, but nobody would ever say anything about that. large, loud, polluting trucks drive by at all hours of the night, frequently leaving a stinky smoke behind, but your not allowed to smoke where you please.

smokers are seriously one of the only groups that can be picked on by everyone openly. obesity, alcoholism, and drug addiction are all diseases, but smoking is just a nasty habit that nobody will sympathize with. not saying they should at all, just level the bar.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    tl;dr the whole thread, but living in an urban area, cigarettes are hardly an issue litter wise. people throw all types of crap on the side walk.

and whoever said that smokers are the only people with rights need to pull their head out of their rear end and actually think about other people.

i don't know where you live, but in VA, a state that grew because of tobacco and still gets a ton of money from tobacco, you aren't allowed to smoke in bars/restaurants, and a ton of places are putting no smoking signs up outside. you can't smoke anywhere near hospitals, near building entrances. they build these little things that look bus stops and say to go smoke in there.

now thats all fine and dandy, but when you think about all of the other annoying things people do its ridiculous. with how much smokers are taxed they deserve some sort of benefit. being cramped on a bus between 2 fat people is much more annoying than the smell of cigarette smoke, but nobody would ever say anything about that. large, loud, polluting trucks drive by at all hours of the night, frequently leaving a stinky smoke behind, but your not allowed to smoke where you please.

smokers are seriously one of the only groups that can be picked on by everyone openly. obesity, alcoholism, and drug addiction are all diseases, but smoking is just a nasty habit that nobody will sympathize with. not saying they should at all, just level the bar.
    Being nearly killed because of someone else's "habit" is hardly an annoyance. The two fat people on the bus would have to jump on me to approach that kind of physical assault.

fading away
    I smoked for around 20 years (fucking moron, yes I was ) and yes, I used ashtrays when I smoked. Bugs the crap out of me to see dilltards pitching their butts out the window. When confronted, it’s usually an answer like, “I don’t want my car to smell like cigarettes”—this answer always cracks me up, as they are more concerned with their cars than their own bodies.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I smoked for around 20 years (****ing moron, yes I was ) and yes, I used ashtrays when I smoked. Bugs the crap out of me to see dilltards pitching their butts out the window. When confronted, it’s usually an answer like, “I don’t want my car to smell like cigarettes”—this answer always cracks me up, as they are more concerned with their cars than their own bodies.
    Sounds like you're pretty smart if you quit! Good job.

High Desert MTBer
    I smoke a few cigs a day, maybe 5 or so, American Spirits to try and minimise the chemicals, and I enjoy them. I always stay downwind of people if I am smoking outside in company, I always pack out my butts, and I am extremely careful of where I flick ash and where I put them out if I am outdoors. I am sure I am not alone in these habits.
    I ride motorcycles and I abhor those people that flick their lit butts out the window, I have even had them land in my lap while riding which is incredibly offputting! Nothing like the risk of instant death rather than a slow lingering one from second hand smoke. Not to mention of course the risk of wild fires from this practice. I am not so sure that smoking with your car window open constitutes that much of a risk to other drivers however, unless of course you are sitting in traffic next to someone, in which case I would not smoke anyway.
    Smokers are not necessarily the anti-social pariahs we are made out to be by some people. I am not a fan of the blanket hatred and haughty superiority of those people that sneer at those of us that choose to smoke still. That sometimes holier-than-thou attitude that smacks of religious bigotry at its most extreme. There are many of us that are responsible smokers.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I am not so sure that smoking with your car window open constitutes that much of a risk to other drivers however, unless of course you are sitting in traffic next to someone, in which case I would not smoke anyway.
    Smokers are not necessarily the anti-social pariahs we are made out to be by some people.
    Aside from any health risks, it's a disgusting nasty habit and the odor makes me ill...and in traffic or even rolling down the road at 55mph behind a smoker, it stinks and is offensive. I've had butts bounce off my cars quite a few times and even have had to remove those nasty butts from the grill a few times.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

since 4/10/2009
    I am not so sure that smoking with your car window open constitutes that much of a risk to other drivers however, unless of course you are sitting in traffic next to someone, in which case I would not smoke anyway.
    studies have been done to measure smoke concentrations with smokers in moving cars with windows rolled up (and knowing the chemical composition of sidestream smoke, you can estimate exposure to certain chemicals quite well), but it would be equally interesting to see what kind of smoke concentrations you get in your car through the ventilation system from nearby cars with a smoker. if you can smell it, you're being exposed to some amount of the toxins in the smoke. but a good question would be what about when you don't smell it? my car has a cabin air filter that deals with that smoke stench from outside the car fairly well. I usually only have problems when my windows are down, so I can roll my windows up and avoid the stink. but how many of the chemicals are carried on particles smaller than the cabin air filter can handle? I don't know these things and I'd be interested in the results of that.

one thing I do know is that with secondhand smoke, children are the most vulnerable BY FAR. I did an informal poll on a cancer forum of young adults who had the same cancer diagnosis I had (small sample, true) and there seemed to be a trend that many of them had smokers in the family as children.

fading away
    Sounds like you're pretty smart if you quit! Good job.
    Well, I was stupid for 20 years… but then suddenly one day I got smart again… or something.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    studies have been done to measure smoke concentrations with smokers in moving cars with windows rolled up (and knowing the chemical composition of sidestream smoke, you can estimate exposure to certain chemicals quite well), but it would be equally interesting to see what kind of smoke concentrations you get in your car through the ventilation system from nearby cars with a smoker. if you can smell it, you're being exposed to some amount of the toxins in the smoke. but a good question would be what about when you don't smell it? my car has a cabin air filter that deals with that smoke stench from outside the car fairly well. I usually only have problems when my windows are down, so I can roll my windows up and avoid the stink. but how many of the chemicals are carried on particles smaller than the cabin air filter can handle? I don't know these things and I'd be interested in the results of that.

one thing I do know is that with secondhand smoke, children are the most vulnerable BY FAR. I did an informal poll on a cancer forum of young adults who had the same cancer diagnosis I had (small sample, true) and there seemed to be a trend that many of them had smokers in the family as children.
    Another thing a lot of people don't realize, there is 3rd hand smoke too. All those chemicals stick to stuff. So even if you don't smoke in front of your kids, say you go outside, when you come in and your kids runs up and you grab them up and hold them, those chemicals on your person are now being transferred to the kid and can be absorbed through the skin. Same thing if you smoke in your car or house. Just because you don't actively smoke in front of a person, anyone contacting areas that are smoked in are being exposed.

Thirdhand smoke: What are the dangers to nonsmokers? - MayoClinic.com

Third-hand smoke a danger to babies, toddlers - Health - Addictions - msnbc.com

Third-hand Smoke: Another Reason To Quit Smoking
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

High Desert MTBer
    I certainly do not condone smoking for anyone, I have been a smoker for a lot of my life, and I do not wish to inflict my habit on anyone else. It is not a very nice habit, but 'dirty and disgusting' is one opinion only. I would love to see the same fervor of the anti smoking lobby attached to what I see as a far more dangerous issue: that of industrial pollutants all around everyone, smokers included.
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm surprised any bikers would ever smoke, period.

mtbr member
    littering is littering...
    I agree with the OP
    Zombie meat makes for great hamburger meat!
    Giant Revel

mtbr member
    I'm surprised any bikers would ever smoke, period.
    Even more shocking is that I know respiratory therapist that smoke. We deal with people dying from smoking related illness everyday and it has to be one of the worst ways to die that I can think of, yet they still smoke, the RT's that is. I guess you reap what you sow.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Is it just me or has there been an increase in smokers recently? It seemed like a year or so ago I didn't see anyone smoke. Now it seems like everyone does.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Smokers in hollywood movies...

Up until the 90's or so:
    Smoke smoke smoke = no biggy in movies, very common to see actors smoking in scenes

Maybe mid 90's to 2004ish:
    Seems as though nobody smoked in movies

Now:
    Totally common to see smoking again, BUT the "smoker" will predictably make a comment in the actual movie about "needing to quit" or something along those lines.

Just an observation, but is does appear that there has been some "deal" struck between big tobacco and Hollywood. Sorta like "OK...we will have two scenes with Brad Pitt smoking, but you have to agree that it is OK for him to mention that he is trying to quit.."

Tobacco companies are so desperate to find any avenue to advertise that they seem to be willing to agree to this and PAY the producers to do so even agreeing that it is OK that the actor speaks negatively about his/her "habit"..

Last edited by rydbyk; 07-05-2012 at 08:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Whenever I notice someone in a car in front of me toss a butt out the window, I honk my horn and flash my brights... yeah, I'm "that guy", but for some reason it is one of the MOST IRRITATING things on the planet to me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ltdan12a View Post
    Whenever I notice someone in a car in front of me toss a butt out the window, I honk my horn and flash my brights... yeah, I'm "that guy", but for some reason it is one of the MOST IRRITATING things on the planet to me...
    Smoking and littering seems to go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Sweep the leg!
    I ride motorcycles and I abhor those people that flick their lit butts out the window, I have even had them land in my lap while riding which is incredibly offputting! Nothing like the risk of instant death rather than a slow lingering one from second hand smoke. Not to mention of course the risk of wild fires from this practice. I am not so sure that smoking with your car window open constitutes that much of a risk to other drivers however, unless of course you are sitting in traffic next to someone, in which case I would not smoke anyway.
    Recently I was on the interstate and for several miles I could taste and smell the sickening flavor of a cigar. I looked around to see if there was a brush fire in the area but there wasn't. After 15 minutes or so I passed a couple of cars as traffic allowed and the smell became faint. Then I passed a car the smell stopped entirely and then I notice the driver was smoking a cigar.

I could smell that damn thing a quarter of a mile behind him at 75 mph. Smoking is a disgusting habit.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Members who have read this thread: 0