mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Small Rant for this morning....

I usually let most stuff just slide past if I dont care about it. But after listening to the radio and watching the news lately I must say something. What has happened to america that we are more concerned with octomom's financial status, who got kicked off dancing with the stars, and whos sleeping with who than we are with the financial status of the country, the status of the war overseas, and whats going on in a local stage? Ive listened to two radio dj's drabble on all morning about octomom, snooki and j-wow, and lindsay lohan. Meanwhile, last week a teenage girl was murdered by her boyfriend and his best friend and it got 30 seconds on 10pm news.

So I pose this question....does anyone out there on a large scale actually care about all this crap?
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

AZ
    banned
    Unfortunately, yes. The "news" is not about affairs of any importance, it is about ratings, entertainment and appealing to the lowest possible denominator. Sad.

I <3 dirt
    The news always seems to be about fluff or some sort of scare tactic piece. I watch it for the weather report then change the channel every morning.

mtbr member
    i hear ya op. it's pretty disgusting. anything to obstruct the 3,000ft view and the big picture. i posted a quote from my 9yr old son on another thread and i think you'd agree.

"papa, it's 2012 and everything is still stupid" he, however, reminds me how alot of things are great and still beautiful though.

poser Administrator
    I cancelled my newspaper subscription after a decade of delivery because it was all mostly scare articles about international news, celebrity gossip and sports. It rarely had anything local and since I can open my browser on my computer and get up to date scare articles to my hearts content without cutting down any trees or printing it on paper I figured it was not worth it anymore. I also notice i am much less stressed about life due to this move.

Here in Tucson we had a little girl disappear from her home late one night, you may have seen this nationally because it is a perfect scare story but while I was watching some NHL playoffs the other day they broke in with the local police news conference regarding it.

The police representative stood up and essentially said "This little girl disappeared. We have no indication it was an abduction, no indication it was foul play, no indication it was the family, no suspects and no leads."

He then opened it up to the press and they asked all the questions that they do to make this a scare leader:

What should people do to protect their children?
    Was it the family?
    Was it a disgruntled whatever?
    Could she have been smuggled to mexico?
    etc
    etc
    etc

and to each he tried his best to indicate that all he said was all he was going to say.Yet they tried every angle to get him to say something they could print or report that would sell time slots or papers.

On a note more towards the OP's comment: I have always said that if terrorists were actually smart and really wanted to hurt the american people they wouldn't target financial or political targets they would target the f-ing oscars, MTV teen choice awards and the Emmy's. Kill the celebrities and kill the american spirit. You know i am right.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

EDR
    Try the AM dial. You know darn well the FM morning shows are generally light weight fluff and fun to get you on your way for the day. I usually listen to sports radio in the morning, I can't handle FM morning silliness for more than a few minutes, but the LAST thing I want to hear about at 5am on my drive to work, the very LAST thing... is politics and talk of the economy. I save that for the afternoon when I'm somewhat coherent.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

On a note more towards the OP's comment: I have always said that if terrorists were actually smart and really wanted to hurt the american people they wouldn't target financial or political targets they would target the f-ing oscars, MTV teen choice awards and the Emmy's. Kill the celebrities and kill the american spirit. You know i am right.
    Truer words are oft not spoken. Sad as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hear ya, I feel sometimes as if americans would react with more initiative if there was a threat on Tom Cruise's life than if there was on Obama's. (Niether of which I really like but thats personal opinion.)
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

since 4/10/2009
    I'm with you. there's very little incentive to ACTUALLY make changes that will both make life better for people AND improve efficiency of the way our government operates. all of the best solutions for the toughest problems will cost people money and power and those that have either (or both, as the case may be) would give up neither.

I think it would be interesting to see what would happen if it were impossible to be a career politician, and every citizen was required to spend a minimum amount of time in public service (also capped by a maximum amount). no chance of that happening at this point but I can't help but wonder if it would work.

meow meow
    yolo

Digging in the pain cave.
    That's why I don't watch the news. I use the Weather Channel and ESPN only.

I'm mystified by the fact that there can be so many like-minded people and yet, we're powerless to effect any modicum of change worth while. Because, as we all know, voting is a sham(well, at least that's my belief).
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

poser Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I'm mystified by the fact that there can be so many like-minded people and yet, we're powerless to effect any modicum of change worth while. Because, as we all know, voting is a sham(well, at least that's my belief).
    The problem with that thought is, in general, most people tend to surround themselves with like minded individuals so it seems that everyone you know thinks the same way and why hasn't the stupid dominant paradigm changed then?

The answer of course is that, seemingly, a lot of mountain bikers are like minded. We enjoy exercise, being outside, are generally middle class or lower (at least those with enough time to hack out answers on an internet forum) and so we think a lot the same.

And why haven't we changed the dominant paradigm? Because we are a minority. For a much larger percentage of people, staying indoors, watching TV and movies, going shopping, eating out, etc. is what they do. They have bumper stickers on their car that say "Love to shop" "Shop a holic" "My other car is another car" etc. They are the majority and as such the news and media panders to them. The news is celebrity based, the news is scare based (This will kill you!) because they have never actually done anything that has challenged them and this validates their decision to not do so (they might die mountain biking!).

Suffice it that I can turn off my TV and radio and take my bike somewhere and go for a long quiet ride where I see birds and snakes and rabbits and jackalopes and other like minded individuals. When I can't I can come here and rant!
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

And, I would add, that most people don't critically think about why they do something. They do it because their parents did it and their parents before them. If we all thought about why something is done a certain way or a way to benefit--not just ourselves but--society, nay, our species, as a whole I think we would be much better off.

On a side note, I can't fully type out all of my thoughts as I'm on my Internet phone and it is laborious at the least to get it to work for me. So I limit myself to short "punchy" statements.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I think you're mostly right. I think we do have some power to affect worthwhile change, but the efforts are made more difficult by politicians with their own agendas. I think by and large, folks want the same results. The problem in most cases seems to be the politicians trying to manipulate people to their own ends. There are a few exceptions where the people have wanted something and caused bottom up change, but I think a lot of it is top down change. A politician wants something and convinces enough voters to agree with him (or her) and makes it happen the opposite way that it should.

a lot of truly great ideas never gain traction because winning an election costs a lot of money. the candidates who don't have a lot of it (but who may have great ideas) just don't get the exposure and consequently the votes. publicly funded elections would be a step in the right direction. put them on an equal financial footing so the merits of the people and the ideas can be considered better.

but the way it is now, if we don't like it let's sling some epithets around to get people riled up and fighting with each other.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BpgDtoj73DQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Duuude! OctoMom is hotttt! Isn't she gonna be naked in Playboy sometime coming up?

I started calling the News the "Bad News" long ago. Their job is to get your feathers ruffled, literally. Looks like it worked...

Don't take anything you see, hear, do, or are involved with in your life seriously and you'll be fine. The world gave up a long time ago, may as well join the crowd.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

I have no feathers so they cannot literally be ruffled. Figuratively though, for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by midschool22 View Post
    That's why I don't watch the news. I use the Weather Channel and ESPN only.
    Don't care for sports, but even I stopped looking at the weather. Lately it's been bad news after bad news. Rain and cool 40-50*. Trails are closed due to rain. I'm banging my head on the walls here!

mtbr member
    Lesson 1. Don't listen to morning celebrity gossip oriented infotainment shows unless you want to hear about celebrities.
    Lesson 2. Lack of news about a murder isn't something to be upset about. That's just old school infotainment. "If it bleeds, it leads."
    Lesson 3. Pick your poison. If you actually want news about what is going on in the world, spend your time with sources that are credible, serious news entities. There are podcasts available for many of these if you only have time to listen in the car.

If you want to get POed about the deplorable state of media in the USA, you are on the right track!

Walt

I dd what you see there.
    "Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?"
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

banned
    I know it sounds boring, but this is why I only listen to NPR on the radio. If I'm up for some music I'll plug in my iPhone or MP3 to the stereo.

+1 on NPR. When I have a radio and feel like listening to it.

since 4/10/2009
    You can stream NPR through a number of sources. The local NPR out of Shreveport, LA streams online and I can pick it up in the office. I oftentimes will take the national NPR stream through satellite radio. though lately the siriusxm app on my ipod has been throwing "network errors" in the office wifi and so I've just been listening to my mp3 library because my computer is too wimpy to handle an online stream on top of all the other data processing I do.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    The problem in most cases seems to be the politicians trying to manipulate people to their own ends. There are a few exceptions where the people have wanted something and caused bottom up change, but I think a lot of it is top down change. A politician wants something and convinces enough voters to agree with him (or her) and makes it happen the opposite way that it should.
    The masses are but cattle to be prodded along. More and more I find it difficult to resist the idea that mass media is a conspiracy to distact the poeple, to lull folks away from any such involvement that would hinder progress of the elite's agenda.

But I always return to the thought that I bear personal responsibility for allowing the world's chaos and my own laziness keep me from getting involved.

Originally posted by John Adams
    Here is everything which can lay hold of the eye, ear and imagination - everything which can charm and bewitch the simple and ignorant. I wonder how Luther ever broke the spell.

Bet you guys didn't even know the 2nd president was a MTBR member

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    The masses are but cattle to be prodded along. More and more I find it difficult to resist the idea that mass media is a conspiracy to distact the poeple, to lull folks away from any such involvement that would hinder progress of the elite's agenda.

But I always return to the thought that I bear personal responsibility for allowing the world's chaos and my own laziness keep me from getting involved.
    sometimes it certainly feels that way, doesn't it?

banned
    Jun 2007
    To accurately forecast market trends, I seek, and care greatly about actual news and it's potential impact. Unfortunately, the U.S. media is corporate owned, focused on ratings, and shareholder profits rather than reporting of the news. Hence the celebrity limelight, political scandals, scare stories, extreme weather, and all other crap they bill as leading stories. All catering to Lemmings & Sheeple.

For any real news, I rely on BBC & Reuters, which report events without placing a spin.
    Years ago, when researching the history of US involvement with Iraq, I learned much from BBC, where no info was available from any US media source.
    As Americans, we're not given facts, only content our corporate-sponsored politicians want us to read & hear.
    Last edited by Flyin_W; 05-01-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: quasi political

Members who have read this thread: 0