Skeeters..grrr- Mtbr.com

Thread: Skeeters..grrr

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

Skeeters..grrr

Or more commonly referred to as mosquitoes.

Suck, that is all.

You need more? I mowed my dads lawn who just happens to have had a sprinkler system installed last year. All the times I've mowed his yard prior I don't remember being eaten alive like this. It happened a couple of weeks ago. So this last time [a couple of days ago] I covered myself in jeans, long sleeve shirt and sprayed myself in Deet. It didn't work. I'm a walking scratching welt of a man at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    They must think you smell like horse shite?

mtbr member
    Be happy they aren't black flies...
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

Nothing seems to kill me
    Yep, one reason I moved out of the midwest, That and humidity.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    Yep, one reason I moved out of the midwest, That and humidity.
    Ummm..you live just 2 hours south from me. Colorado low humidity definitely cuts down on insects but skeeters are a down right pain in the ass here. I lived in upstate NY where they were worse. I lived in San Diego where I don't recall getting eaten up even close to what I'm experiencing here in Co.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    You can get traps that suck them into a net bag. They use them on film sets in Scotland. You could build yourself one of those and kill the feckers off.

Fart smeller
    With all the diseases attributed to moskeeters, I kinda freak if one gets in the house.

Luckily, we get breezes off the Delta where I live, so it kind of keeps them at bay. Plus, I make sure there're no old tires around collecting sprinkler water. Plus, I drink so much beer, I don't have any blood left.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Spritz your exposed skin. They will not land on you. Deet is some pretty toxic shit.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Fart smeller
    Jirt Dunkie, you need to build yerself a bat house.

I'd like to get one myself, actually. Bats are too cool.

Edit: Found one at my local Tractor Supply. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ar-bat-shelter

Heather Heyer

Hmmm rubbing alcohol. I'll give that a try. A bat house? Would love to have one just to check the critters out. Problem: Bat quano / bat shit, are you crazy? Bat shit crazy. There would be bat guano eeryehere. Love the idea though.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Hmmm rubbing alcohol. I'll give that a try. A bat house? Would love to have one just to check the critters out. Problem: Bat quano / bat shit, are you crazy? Bat shit crazy. There would be bat guano eeryehere. Love the idea though.
    Bat shit is good for the garden, right? Put a bat house right over the tomatoes.

Heather Heyer

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Be thankful they're not ticks. Someone said I was a chick magnet, but they really said tick magnet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Jirt Dunkie, you need to build yerself bat house.
    We have bats here, I still don't know where the hang out but they fly over the garden in the evening. You only see them at a very specific time of day, just as it starts to get dark.

Yeah, they eat flies but not enough of them. We still have plenty left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    We have bats here, I still don't know where the hang out but they fly over the garden in the evening. You only see them at a very specific time of day, just as it starts to get dark.

Yeah, they eat flies but not enough of them. We still have plenty left.
    Same here, there's a colony behind my sisters house of what seems to be a hundred or so. They "hang out" in the top of some very tall trees during the day. At least that's where my sister has narrowed their day location to be. Every evening just before dusk you can catch them flying around catching bugs. Love the bats, I've always been fascinated by them. As a kid in upstate N.Y. I came across one clinging to a large tree just 5' off the ground. I got up close and personal for an inspection then went on my way.

Fart smeller
    Got me a bat house today at Tractor Supply. Will install it as soon as the sun stops shining on that part of the house. Then they can move in!

(I can't believe they charged $30 for a couple of pieces of wood put together. )

Heather Heyer

Nothing seems to kill me
    Ummm..you live just 2 hours south from me. Colorado low humidity definitely cuts down on insects but skeeters are a down right pain in the ass here. I lived in upstate NY where they were worse. I lived in San Diego where I don't recall getting eaten up even close to what I'm experiencing here in Co.
    They are really not in issue here in the Springs most of the time. I think we are a lot dryer than the Denver-Boulder area. They need standing water to lay their eggs and we just don't have much of that. A buddy of mine lived a little east of the Springs and he said they could get bad out there. But here in town I can't remember the last time I was bitten.
    Sweet Jesus don't let the judge release me, what if she's a Zombie or a Dracula and tries to f&*king eat me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    even been to the Alaskan bush? anywhere else I've been has been nothing compared to that. I'd wear a sweatshirt with hood up all day long and would normally have dozens clinging to me. Ben's 100% DEET was the only thing that remotely worked.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    even been to the Alaskan bush? anywhere else I've been has been nothing compared to that. I'd wear a sweatshirt with hood up all day long and would normally have dozens clinging to me. Ben's 100% DEET was the only thing that remotely worked.
    Never been. Sounds horrible. My brother was camping in Washington State last week and he said they were covered every time they left the tent.

They are really not in issue here in the Springs most of the time. I think we are a lot dryer than the Denver-Boulder area. They need standing water to lay their eggs and we just don't have much of that. A buddy of mine lived a little east of the Springs and he said they could get bad out there. But here in town I can't remember the last time I was bitten.
    I live in Loveland / Fort Collins area. Definitely pretty bad up here. There's a swampy area about a 1/4 mile away from my pops house. So his neighborhood gets hit hard. The city of Loveland sends a skeeter truck sprayer through the neighborhoods periodically late at night. It obviously doesn't help as far as I can tell.

Nothing seems to kill me
    I live in Loveland / Fort Collins area. Definitely pretty bad up here. There's a swampy area about a 1/4 mile away from my pops house. So his neighborhood gets hit hard. The city of Loveland sends a skeeter truck sprayer through the neighborhoods periodically late at night. It obviously doesn't help as far as I can tell.
    Ha, we used to ride our bikes behind the Skeeter truck when we were kids. How I am still alive, I do not know. Lol..

Meatbomb
    Listerine diluted a little bit in a spray bottle works very well. When i was living in the Bahama's a lot of the boaters swore by Skin So Soft but I never found it to be all that.

Meatbomb
    Ha, we used to ride our bikes behind the Skeeter truck when we were kids. How I am still alive, I do not know. Lol..
    Same here when i was a kid in Mississippi.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. Spritz your exposed skin. They will not land on you. Deet is some pretty toxic shit.
    I am desperate enough to try this for I am getting eaten alive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    I am desperate enough to try this for I am getting eaten alive.
    Like Phillibo said listerine, it's the alcohol. Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle is the most effective thing I've ever tried. Spray it on before you sweat let it evaporate off.

mtbr member
    Check this out
    Spray the yard. Long term sprays. Non toxic and can last for months, depending on weather. Have done it, it works
    The Best Mosquito Repellent for a Yard | Home Guides | SF Gate
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    ^ Another good one for large areas is diatomaceous earth and is especially effective for ticks. Any small critter that crawls will tear themselves up. Lay some down in your yard in a spreader with at least 6-7 days of no rain. Will keep ticks at bay all summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Listerine diluted a little bit in a spray bottle works very well.
    And if it doesn't deter them at least they'll have good breath.

Meat, I may look into the one you posted.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Get a chicken.

High Desert MTBer
    Move to the desert... never seen a mosquito here... or a tick. We got bats tho! They feed on birds and very small cows.

I think.
    It's all Here. Now.