mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Skateboarders come inside....

Figured id pull a Fox since the subject line of the original is getting so much attention....

What year did you start skating? How long did you stick with it? Any interesting pieces in the ol' collection?

My first ever skateboard came from god knows where and it was a Variflex Drag'n Dragon.

My first real board however was a Alien Workshop Matrix Deck in Blue/White/Green but ive only been able to find a pic of the black/red variant...

It had I believe 54mm AW wheels, Venture Featherlight II trucks, and Swiss Bones bearings. I stuck with it for about 4 years. Still have the board floating around the garage somewhere.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Skated in HS from like 02-08 or so. Rode mostly Black Label or Habitat boards. Tried a million different trucks: Krux, Tensor, Destructo, Independent, the list goes on...

Got the the point where I could hold my own with the crowd but lost interest when I went to college (Rochester is a cold, unforgiving place). Still have my last board I build (Habitat w/ my first set of Destructos since NY salt seized my newer set, Darkstar wheels and swiss bones to top it all off.) Hop on every now and again just to embarrass myself in front of the neighbors mostly, usually leave with a couple of bruises and a significantly smaller ego. Still, the charm is there.

mtbr member
    i had old santa cruz and sims boards but found bmx and they gathered dust. been longboarding for the last year though. i dig it. mellow pump for days.

ride a holesom longboard deck now
    and a not so current skatemental "alien vs predator" deck i picked up a couple of years ago cuz of its classic inapproriateness

Been riding since '01-'02. First board was World Industries with Gullwing trucks, Speed Demon bearings and probably some Spitfire wheels. I still huck the **** out of some gnar. I ripped harder in HS though. Love me some mini ramp and pool but am more street. Currently rocking an Emage shop deck with some Spitfire wheels( I ****ing hate Spitfire wheels; why no shop can carry Pig wheels in 55mm I'll never know) thinking about the Ricta air-cores. Not sure what crap bearings are in there but the Zero Black Widow bearings are the ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Cool thread idea!

Started with a 2x4 and a pulled-apart skate with metal wheels. Guessing '68.

Got a Super Surfer with clay wheels in around '70

Scored a fiberglass Bahne a year or two later; put Road Riders on it.

Next I owned two (FG/wood laminate) Santa Cruz boards; 26 and 28". Prolly '75. The SC logo looked basically the same then. First rides in a skatepark was on those boards.

Eventually I owned and rode a...

Makaha
    Kryptonics
    Sims
    Caster Inouye
    Madrid 40" "Longboard"
    Homemade longboard
    Alva
    (prolly a couple others...)

Too many wheels and trucks to recall, but Tracker was the go-to. Bennets were good for freestyle. Gullwings, good. Eventually Independent made the scene. Got a pair of Vans deck shoes in '76; hey, if they were good enough for Tony Alva, Jay Adams and the Z-Boys...

We had a paved drainage ditch at our HS that we would ride every night. It was next to the tennis courts, so had lighting 'til 10pm.

Rode every skatepark in the metro Phoenix area, including (especially) after they went out of biz and were fenced off (no helmets, yea).

Rode more backyard pools than I can recall...best was when some owners came home with me cleaning up the deep end. Doh!

Speed wobbled at 35mph DH and skull bongo'ed without a helmet (mind you, no respectable skater wore a helmet then).

Ah, those days...thanks for the trip. Once rock climbing came along (in my 20s/1980s), skating was finished. Still have my Madrid and Alva boards. Was riding the sidewalk in HB a few months ago and a carload of chicks gave me some awesome vocal love. Fitty year old dood got a good buzz off that

Skate on, skaters,

Mike
    Last edited by She&I; 04-13-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Digging in the pain cave.
    I messed around with it in the early 90's. Nothing serious at all. Had a Blind board (not sure what model). A few years back I built a Mike V board as a b-day present to me. Still have it. Still can't ride it worth a darn.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Shortboarded for 7 years then started longboarding for the rest. Its been 13 years since I started! The past couple years I have only ridden a handful of times though. I have been to busy on the bike!

I would post my boards but my camera sucks

I have a late 1970's Alva (signed by tony himself) w/ tracker dart trucks and some abec 11 wheels

A sector 9 fiberglass board (dont know model) with paris trucks, bones swiss and flywheels

and a Organica shortboard with indys, bones swiss, and god forbid I cant remember what wheels are on it!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

meow meow
    skated through middle school and highscool. gave it up in college but i think i will start again. imo it is the best tool for balance ever. right now i have a krooked board with purple royal trucks, flip sidecut wheels, and some red bones bearings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Im going to have to try my hand at longboarding eventually, ive always been pretty good at slides on my shortboards and a buddy of mine owns BC Longboards. So I might have to hit him up and pick up a moray.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    I started skating in 1975-6...got a yellow banana board with red wheels...then a neighbor gave me her sons old board...one with steel wheels...those were my first 2 boards..I think I still have the steel wheeled one...there was a concrete park in my town for a long time..then skating took a nose dive...then in the early 80s I got into again...I still have all my boards..even the broken ones...some of my favorite boards are: the Natas "Panther" board..2 Santa Cruz everslick boards..a Bat Cab board..a Brad Smith board (Uncle Wiggly)..then I got a few boards I have never touched..one was a Lance Mountain with the running guys on it...and the other is a Steve Saiz....and I think I have a Gator still in shrink wrap...I will try to put pics up...the long black board is a powell rose bones..(but I called it bones and roses).

Last edited by Dresdenlock; 04-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great thread!

I have been skating since 1987 (I think). I haven't ever really stopped but have had a few years off here and there.

I have nothing interesting in my collection and am not really interested in collecting. I do get nostalgic when I see stuff from the late 80's and 90's and can identify most of the boards from that era.

These days I am teaching my kids to skate (and bike too!). We enjoy three great skateparks nearby and have a miniramp in the basement. Between us and the other families on our street, we are slowly building a street course.

Great to hear from all the other skaters here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sweet posts here, doods.

Dres, awesome lineup! Thanks for posting pix.

DWDW, way to harness the power...your family and neighborhood are better for it.

You guys catch this?:

Skateistan US

Man, if it doesn't tug your heartstrings seeing kids (girls, too) that just want to ride in peace, and the difficulties they face just living...

You guys ever run into Punk "Grampa" Roy? Sheesh, he must be sixty-something by now. I know a few years ago he was still shredding the vert.

Power on...

Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Great thread!

Skate-rat from '84 thru '91ish. First board was a SC Bullet with Indy's and Rat Bones (in 98 durometer). I was lucky enough to live between friends who both had halfpipes - one was 16' wide, 9' tall - the other was a mini with five foot transitions. In between vert-sessions, there was Derby Park, the "quad" at SCHS, the long double-sided curbs at the municipal-lot and at the Sentinel lot.

By the time "Search for Animal Chin" was released, I was transplanted to Oahu and quickly switched to a softer durometer. Lots of street and lots of ditches. Blaisdell Center, A'ala Park, "Stoker Hill", "Wallos", "Zones" and Catlin Park. Hickam Hangar became the spot around '91 - a couple buddies and I used to circulate a miltary pass just to get on base; the pass was designated 'officer' so we'd merit a salute driving through the gates in our beaters with Agent Orange or the Misfits blaring.

The current generation blows my mind. Just the other day, I saw footage of a 12 year old sticking a 1080...

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Use to sneak into the "Boogie Bowl" (in La Crescenta) mini skate park after it closed. It was a total bust because it was located in plain sight on a busy main Blvd, duh! When the cops came, we'd all scatter like a nest of rats that had been suddnely discovered! It was hilarious!

I rode a Bevol with Indy trucks and I cannot remember what wheels I liked but the were "concave".

Also rode at the Pipeline in Upland...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    I've been skating for nearly as long as I can remember, since the 1st or 2nd grade. I started to not skate as much once I got out of highschool and into mountain biking a bit more, but still cruise around on my board every now and then. I'm actually riding a board that I made myself in woodshop class sophomore year. I made a mold, and using nearly 30 pipe clamps, was able to get enough pressure to press 7 ply's and some special glue into a very nice deck. It's held up very well....will post some pics if I can find them on my old cellphone. My first deck that I made warped a bit (not quite enough glue) so I made it into a clock/thermometer for my room. I used a wood burner to burn the numbers for the clock and scale for a thermometer into the board. For the second deck I used a little too much glue (kinda messy!), it's a tad bit heavier than the newer decks (not by much) but is stronger than hell.

mtbr member
    Found a pic! Looks a bit wider in the pic than real life though... I think I cut it right at 7.75" or 8", this picture is at least a few years old, because last year when the deck was starting to show it's age I took some smooth sandpaper and cleaned up the bottom, then gave it a quick rattlecan paint job to freshen it up..no pics of that yet. Just a simple geometric design using some masking tape and some black and robin's egg blue paint I had sitting around. Anyway here's the deck right after I made it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Sweet posts here, doods.

Dres, awesome lineup! Thanks for posting pix.
    No problem...I still have more...I do love my JFA board..it was the biggest one they made..11x32.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Skated from 88-92. Some of the fondest memories of my entire life happened during those years. Started out on a Vision Psychostick and from there the boards were countless. At one point I had 3 half pipes in my yard. I remember waiting from one year to the next on Powell, H-Street and Santa Cruz to put out their latest videos. Man in a lot of ways I miss life being simple like that! F'n Internet! Went on to ride Flatland (bmx freestyle) for 10+ years until I got into MTB'ing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    Skated from 88-92. Some of the fondest memories of my entire life happened during those years. Started out on a Vision Psychostick and from there the boards were countless. At one point I had 3 half pipes in my yard. I remember waiting from one year to the next on Powell, H-Street and Santa Cruz to put out their latest videos. Man in a lot of ways I miss life being simple like that! F'n Internet! Went on to ride Flatland (bmx freestyle) for 10+ years until I got into MTB'ing.
    I rode BMX (flatland park and dirt jumping) for a long time to. Also tried my hand at inline skating and got pretty good.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Any recommendations for Skateboardfs for a 7 year old just getting started? Or links to sites that can provide information on what to look for in purchasing a skateboard?

Upcyclist
    I haven't been in a skate shop for quite a while, so I don't really know what's out there, but that'd be a good place to start. Your LSS should set you up with everything. If serious about getting into skateboarding, I'd get your kid used to wearing a helmet for sure.

I've always liked Powell Peralta, and my current board is a mini logo deck, Independent tucks, and mini logo wheels. The mini logo stuff is good quality and great value. Mini Logo? The Highest Quality Skateboard Decks, Skateboard Trucks and Skateboard Wheels for the Best Price - Mini Logo Skateboards

Wheels are prolly the most important part, they can make or break the experience. I like softer wheels, and when I switched from hard wheels it was night and day difference. Here's some good info on wheels: Choosing Skateboard Wheels

You should get yourself a board too, if you don't already have one so you can share the experience!
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    Boards are all the same shape now, only the width varies, which is good, there is no reason to stray from what the skateboard has evolved to.

a 7" wide, 7.25" wide deck will be about right, ~54mm wheels, and whatever trucks will work fine, you will want to get softer bushings for the trucks so they'll be able to turn with a light child on them, when the child places most of his/her weight on the edge of the board the board should be quite close to the wheels, 1/4" or so, the board must be able to turn freely when the child weights one side or the other, this eliminates the need to lift the front truck for any/every turn/direction change.

You can get super soft bushings, not all that available though, for a 50 pound kid I'd be looking for something around 80a durometer.

FWIW, I've been skating for 28 years, started in my teens and never quit....

Upcyclist
    Good point about bushings, JB. I'm pretty sure I have mini logo bushings. They're $6 for two trucks.
    By continuing to browse my posts, you agree to accept my use of cookies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Good point about bushings, JB. I'm pretty sure I have mini logo bushings. They're $6 for two trucks.
    Yep, it's quite rare that I see a kid with a skateboard that actually "works" for their weight. I started on a 1970s G&S Fiberflex, super soft bushings, that turned fine for me, but most skate stuff now is one size fits all, that size being a 140-150 pound pro skateboarder, so it doesn't work well for little kids, weight, or the lack of it directly affects how well a person will be able to make the board turn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks for the feedback, very helpful. we were looking at skateboards online and my son now wants one of the santa cruz Star Wars boards. given what people have said I may buy the parts separate and assemble myself. i don't mind spending$100, geeze that is nothing compared to what i blow on my bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Something like this, Independent Trucks: Hardware: Genuine Parts Standard Cylinder (78a) Cushions Super Soft

You need 4 total for a board, normally bushings are sold in sets of 4, but this only shows 2, I'm not sure if you get 4 or not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    thanks for the feedback, very helpful. we were looking at skateboards online and my son now wants one of the santa cruz Star Wars boards. given what people have said I may buy the parts separate and assemble myself. i don't mind spending$100, geeze that is nothing compared to what i blow on my bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Skateboards are super cheap, top of the line everything will still only end up at ~$150 as long as you don't fall for the ceramic bearing hype.

Best to push the bearing shield off from the inside with a thumbtack, put some bike bearing grease in there, put the shield back on, and the bearings will last an order of magnitude longer than if they just have the 0 weight oil in them that they come with. You will want to wipe excess grease off the outside after the board is skated a few times, it doesn't cause problems, but it can be messy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Skateboards are super cheap, top of the line everything will still only end up at ~$150 as long as you don't fall for the ceramic bearing hype.

Best to push the bearing shield off from the inside with a thumbtack, put some bike bearing grease in there, put the shield back on, and the bearings will last an order of magnitude longer than if they just have the 0 weight oil in them that they come with. You will want to wipe excess grease off the outside after the board is skated a few times, it doesn't cause problems, but it can be messy.
    Thanks for the help and the info. on prices of boards!

mtbr member
    You're welcome!

Members who have read this thread: 0