Thread: Sinus Surgery?

b a n n e d

Sinus Surgery?

So I have a mass of some sort in my right maxillary sinus that is occupying about 90% of the space. Whatever it is, its solid with well-defined boundaries (i.e., it ain't snot!). I've known about this thing for a few years and at first was told it was a sinus polyp. Up until like 3 months ago it hasn't bothered me at all. Then I got a sinus infection . . . . Oh. My. Gosh. My face feels like its going to explode. Its so bad my TEETH hurt now too. I can barely breath, making riding pretty challenging. Its been like this for weeks now.

So I'm having surgery next week to get this thing out . . . anyone have sinus surgery before? How long am I gonna be down from this? Surgeon claims 3-5 days . . . interwebz claim more like 5-7, and I am pretty damn sure I won't be riding for at least a couple weeks.

Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

better than I deserve
    I had it done years ago.Don`t really remember the recovery time but 5-7 days seems to make sense.I just remember the pain when they pull all that gauze out and then you go back days later and they vacuum suck it out it makes you tear instantly from the pain.You`ll have a bloody snotty guaze taped under your nose for a while and it grosses every one out...lol I had headaches every day for years because I was totally blocked on the left side. enjoy bwahahahaha

see me rollin, they hatin
    similarly i had a septoplasty, which i guess is more near the middle and tip of nose, but the healing went like this. first 3 days, unbearable. 5 days - 2 weeks, pretty sore to the point that you fear anything going near your face.

at 3 weeks, i was back riding, spitting up blood. My surgery was a bit different, but expect that you wont be having fun for the first few days. riding wont be on your mind. ask for MOAR painkillers!
    fap

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ask in the "Face eating passion" thread in this forum, they may have some good ideas for you.

meow meow
    face it, you just want that big ugly scnoz shaped into something more pretty.

mtbr member
    I had Septoplasty as well...I remember it like a had a cold for a week...it wasnt a picnic or anything..I had to sleep sitting upright...I got alot of headaches from it..I had to use a saline solution alot..but I am sooooo glad I did it...I felt like a new person afterwards..I could actually breathe thru my nose...before the surgery I could only breathe out of one nostril.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    something something something MOAR painkillers!

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    face it, you just want that big ugly scnoz shaped into something more pretty.
    Yes, my wife has already asked about that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    I had Septoplasty as well...I remember it like a had a cold for a week...it wasnt a picnic or anything..I had to sleep sitting upright...I got alot of headaches from it..I had to use a saline solution alot..but I am sooooo glad I did it...I felt like a new person afterwards..I could actually breathe thru my nose...before the surgery I could only breathe out of one nostril.
    This sounds very consistent with what I've been told by the surgeon so far, and you are correct, I can barely breathe and not at all out of the right side; zero airflow over there.

I'm really not looking forward to this. I have a pretty remarkable tolerance for pain, but not for my face and head. Nothing bothers me more than a headache, even a little one.

psycho cyclo addict
    I played soccer for 30+ years. According to the ENT's, the L side of my nose is like almost completely collapsed up in there. I rarely get sinus infections so haven't done anything about it. My sister had a similar surgery to yours and like others have said, it is no picnic. Best of luck.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    We are all hoping this heals up for you fast, fast, fast! Think positive, this is a tiny sliver of your life.

Look at me, it's been 7 months and I am still hobbling around like a gimp.

Things you can look forward to post op:
    *Blowing past me on the mtn goat grinds! That's gotta be worth something.

007 pre-op: (not feeling well)

007 post-op: (feeling much better)
    Last edited by Hawgzilla; 06-27-2012 at 06:09 AM.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My mom had the same thing, and at the same time had a wisdom tooth growing upward into her sinus cavity. With the mass removal and the wisdom tooth removal she was up and around fairly normally after about a week. The first three days involved her being doped up higher than a kite (which was really entertaining for me and my dad lol), after that she gradually got back to normal. After about a week she was pretty much back to normal. She had alot of nose bleeds for about 3 months off and on so I suggest carrying a hanky with you. One big suggestion I can make also is for the first few weeks, if you do anything dusty like mowing the yard or going somewhere like a softball field where dust will be blowing around. Wear one of those painters masks, you will have sore and tender scar tissue in your sinuses and the less extra crap you can keep out of there the better.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

b a n n e d
    Well it wasn't so bad. Yesterday I felt like I Chuck Liddell smashed me in the face with a brick . . . and then I took a few Percocets and had a grand ole' time.

Gotta be careful with this stuff though. I completely understand how easy it would be to get hooked.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Note: If the doctor left a stint in, make sure you irrigate with saline solution
    to keep things soft up there. When I went back to get mine out he just pulled them
    right out no problem. The guy in front of me did not irrigate and I heard him while
    I was in the waiting room screaming and when he left he was still bleeding. So
    just make sure you irrigate. Peace good luck.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Well it wasn't so bad. Yesterday I felt like I Chuck Liddell smashed me in the face with a brick . . . and then I took a few Percocets and had a grand ole' time.

Gotta be careful with this stuff though. I completely understand how easy it would be to get hooked.
    Chuck lives on the Central Coast. One of my friends (fellow houseboater) up there knows him from "The Pit" where they both work out and train. My friend will be testing for his Black Belt in Hawaii sometime in the not too distant future. I really wouldn't want to piss him off, LOL!
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkn View Post
    Note: If the doctor left a stint in, make sure you irrigate with saline solution
    to keep things soft up there. When I went back to get mine out he just pulled them
    right out no problem. The guy in front of me did not irrigate and I heard him while
    I was in the waiting room screaming and when he left he was still bleeding. So
    just make sure you irrigate. Peace good luck.
    Good advice for sure. I've got the Saline neti pot thing working for me for sure (I actually plan to use the thing long term, especially after biking . . . feels great!), but I don't have any packing in there (thank goodness!).

Members who have read this thread: 0