Should I go to nights?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Should I go to nights?

Been with my current employer for almost 4 yrs now. I like my job and the company at 26 I can see myself making a career here.

Boss said I'm his first choice to be the new night crew manager. They offered me a $5 raise right of the bat. Would be a 5-5 M-THu night workweek.

My wife works full time and we have no children yet.

My concern: this would be a 2-3yr commitment that I would have to stick out until I could switch back to days as a manager there.

Is it worth a shot? Anyone with experience nights please voice your opinions.
    Try not to take life too seriously, few people have made it out alive.

Far as I know those where: Elijah and Enoch.

Meatbomb
    Sounds like a good career move.

Once you get use to drinking beer at 5am you'll adjust

banned
    Sep 2010
    When I was younger, it was possible for me to work around the clock on certain jobs, when the payoff was significant.

You can adapt. Just consider the effort to reward ratio.

mtbr member
    Your 1st move: Ask your wife. You 2 may not see one another much anymore. I know couples who have split or fraternized with others under similar circumstances.

Beyond that, fire up a T chart with pos/neg aspects. Review and decide.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Sounds like a good career move.

Once you get use to drinking beer at 5am you'll adjust
    I worked a job once that had a 3 week rotation. Three different shifts working one shift for a week then moving to the next shift the following week etc. One shift was a 12:00 am to 9 am. I couldn't believe how many hit the bar after work at 9 am. A certain bar caught on to this factory right next door and opened up for business at 8 am.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

EMBA Member
    Now is the time to invest in yourself to propel your career forward. I worked my tail off back at your age, and it is still paying off today decades later. 2 - 3 years will be over a lot quicker than you realize. If this is where you want to be, do it. That $5/hour raise is the bike of your choice after a year.

The White Jeff W
    Im working nights now. Consider that you'll have daylight hours free for riding vs having to try to squeeze in a quick one after work before it gets dark. My best nights at work are on days where I rode the afternoon before work. Food, shower, nap, then off to work. Im tired but buzzing with endorphins. Im not working 12 hr shifts, though, so that complicates things. You'll only see your wife on weekends.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I did nights for 10 years. 4 12 hour night shifts are a huge pain. Only 3 days off is kind of a waste, you normally sleep all day after the thursday shift so your friday is wasted, or you stay up and are a zombie all day. You may bounce back and have a good sat and sunday but you have to sleep monday and its tough if you have trouble sleeping during the day.

I had a co worker that turned a walk in closet in to a sleep room and that really helped her. Another problem is that people that dont work nights, don't get it. They think you were asleep all night and your just some lazy bum sleeping all day. Its really funny to me, they have no problem calling, coming by etc.

The money sounds good, a couple hundred extra a week, thats a plus. No life with the wife, and that's tough.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    I did it for a year when my wife and I were starting our family. It paid a 15% differential on top of my salary which sounded nice to a young couple with a baby.Wasn't worth it, I really only remember 2 events from that year both because they were pretty tragic. I was a zombie. Everyone kept saying my body would adjust but it never did.

I will say though that several people I worked with loved it and had no interest in any other shift.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I would pass because you will not be able to live a "normal life". It will wear on your health too, in the long run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Your 1st move: Ask your wife. You 2 may not see one another much anymore. I know couples who have split or fraternized with others under similar circumstances.
    Indeed. Working night shift is how my wife ended up with 2 husbands, and I ended up marrying her cousin. It wasn't as fun as you think it sounds.

A waste of time it is is
    Do it now while you have no kids. Invest those other three nights a week into your relationship and 1 hour each day that you work into making sure the boss comes home to a cooked meal and a tidy house every evening. The rest will fall into place.

9 lives
    I did shift work for 15 years. 10 of those years were day/night 12 hours shifts.

The pros:
    I got paid shift premiums and chose to work alot of overtime which paid for my degrees.
    When it was quiet on nights I could study a little. Some night tours were bizarre (I was a registered nurse in psychiatry) but those were experiences I'll never forget and which influenced my future practice

The cons:
    I never got enough sleep.
    Despite working 50% of my schedule on night shift: It was difficult to readjust to the normal world schedule. My circadian rhythms were wonky.

To this day I still have insomnia but all that shift work led to opportunities for overtime and the studing was a good pay off.
    I don't have to work nights again and have a great career and a stable happy relationship
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I work rotating shifts [railroad] and IMO I'd think long and hard about your decision.
    Pros;
    -Good move for the career
    -Good money

Cons;
    -Sleeping during the day isn't easy, and isn't possible for some people fullstop. If you haven't done it before I'd suggest you try, it would suck big time to commit to three years of nights then discover you can't hack it after a month because you struggle to sleep during the day.
    -You're hardly going to see your other half during the week, you may as well be working in another country. It puts strain on a relationship, even a simple thing like having dinner together during the week won't be an option for you two. Are you both fairly independent types, or a do everything together couple?
    -It isn't good for your health. Unusual hours screw with your eating habits, sleep habits, mental and physical health.
    -Forget "after work" activities, after a normal 12 hour day you may have time for a bit of activity, but IME after a similar length nightshift you're not going to want to do much during the day. Mid-week bbqs, sports games, tv shows, etc will all become a distant memory.

Talk to your partner, see how she'll feel about being alone four nights a week (and if you're like me dealing with a short-fused husband due to the lack of sleep!). Think about whether you're the kind of guy who gets by with not much sleep, or if you're a regular eight-hours a night type. Really think about whether the stress/hassle is worth it, and if there are other options for working your way up the food chain. Yes it is good to put the work in while you're young, but IMO you still have to consider the lifestyle you'll have in the present time.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I wouldn't take that gig myself. As others have stated, working nights is unhealthy and you really need to stick to that schedule on weekends or else your body gets all out of whack. If you do choose to take it then invest some time and money in making your room have the ability to be completely blacked out to trick your body into thinking it is nighttime. We as humans are meant to sleep at night and rise with the sun. I work fairly early (get up at 4:30am M-F) and I stick to getting up early on weekends to maintain a consistent schedule. Doing this has made my life so much better!

Sure you have the weekends to spend with your wife but you might find yourself exhausted at the times when she wants to do something. Too bad they can't let you try it for a month before committing to it but that's life.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I worked nights a couple of times and hated it. I never got
    use to it.

mtbr member

Should I go to nights?

I worked night shifts for a year. Fawk that. Never again.
    I never slept right during that time. I had a constant headache for the whole year. My life was never "right" during that time.
    Never again.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Broken Hipster
    Been working nights and weekends my entire life.
    All of my acquaintances work more normal hours so we don't hang out much anymore.
    At least I have the entire day to devote to riding. Alone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman1 View Post
    Been working nights and weekends my entire life.
    All of my acquaintances work more normal hours so we don't hang out much anymore.
    At least I have the entire day to devote to riding. Alone.
    Do you prefer the current lifestyle? I'm not being trite when I ask that.

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Do you prefer the current lifestyle? I'm not being trite when I ask that.
    For the most part no.
    Sometimes I'll chuckle to myself when I realize how easy I have it with mornings/afternoons free but there's a lot to be said about working normal hours and dare I say it...conforming to the hours everyone else works.
    Unfortunately I'm sort of stuck where I'm at though. I let too many years get by and my resume has suffered for it.

mtbr member
    Going by your username I take it you're in the hospitality industry? When you're talking about "nights" what sort of hours do you mean?

Reason I ask is I drove commuter trains for a few years and spent a lot of time on late shifts that finished anywhere from 10pm to 3am. They were ok and didn't take too much of a toll on life outside of work. When I transferred to freight, which is a true 24/7 operation, I quickly found there is a huge difference between finishing at 3am and getting home when it is dark and finishing at 5-6-7am like the OP is talking about and getting home as the sun is coming up. Doesn't matter how long you've been awake, when that sun starts coming up you get a second wind and trying to get to sleep is very difficult, for me at least.

You're right that shiftwork is great in the sense that you sometimes have free time during the day when everyone else is at work, but IME when you're working "true" nightshift that free time is almost worthless as you're in zombie-mode from the messed up sleep patterns.

I'm on nights at the moment, today I'll spend a little time on the computer, walk the dogs, have a nap, cook some dinner and that will be about the extent of it. I usually get 2-3 more sleep in total when I'm working nights than day/early shifts, but it is spread out in chunks and nowhere near as refreshing as a solid night in bed (even with an alarm set for 0400!).

mtbr member
    I've worked nights when I was at a 24 hour Walgreens. I took a while to get use to, but it wasn't that bad. If you're a morning person, then its great. I use get off work at 7am, go get some breakfast on the way home, grab my bike and go ride until nearly noon. Grab some lunch then just go home and relax. Sleep at around 2pm and wake up at around 8 pm, shower, eat some dinner and get to work by 10:00. Its not for everyone, especially if you're one of those guys that like to go out with friends at night, but on those nights off, you could party all night until the morning. LOL

Broken Hipster
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Going by your username I take it you're in the hospitality industry? When you're talking about "nights" what sort of hours do you mean?
    Yes, hospitality industry now. I go in at 10pm and work till close. NYS and local law allows for a 4am close.
    But I've worked them all. In the military for 14 years then swing shifts, midnight to 8, I've never had a job that could be defined as 9 to 5. Maybe it's the illusion of normalcy after so many years that is alluring. In the end it's still working for someone else and eventually going to get annoying whatever the hours.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Should I go to nights?

Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Indeed. Working night shift is how my wife ended up with 2 husbands, and I ended up marrying her cousin. It wasn't as fun as you think it sounds.
    This one I had to read twice

mtbr member
    For the most part no.
    Sometimes I'll chuckle to myself when I realize how easy I have it with mornings/afternoons free but there's a lot to be said about working normal hours and dare I say it...conforming to the hours everyone else works.
    Unfortunately I'm sort of stuck where I'm at though. I let too many years get by and my resume has suffered for it.
    Make the best of it, right?

I did overnight shifts at an earlier gig when I was younger but no way now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I leaning towards going for it.

Partly because my boss said that he would make provision for me to come back to the day crew as a manager there, once the night crew was well established. He said probably 2 to 3 yrs. He also said they'd make sure that if for any reason the night crew falls through I have job to go back to on the day crew.
    Try not to take life too seriously, few people have made it out alive.

Far as I know those where: Elijah and Enoch.

Graveyard Shift
    That's a really long commitment to something you've never done before. How your body will react and adapt to the graveyard is a very personal thing, and some people can manage far better than others. You don't really know what to expect on that front.

The pay is good, and it's ideal when you're young and can still pull off schedule intensive lifestyles like working graveyard, going to school right afterwards, and just catching 4-6 hours of sleep before doing it again. If nothing else you earn good money, have fewer opportunities to actually spend it wastefully than others, and your complete lack of a social life will leave you with nothing else to focus on but your work. If it's an easier sort of job during the night you have plenty of time to do all of your coursework at work.

If I were married I wouldn't be doing this, though. I think looking back I'd regret sacrificing time with my wife.

You will never be well-rested either, trust me.
    Long is the way, and hard.

High Desert MTBer
    I quite often go in the night... I find as age advances, those 'wee hours' visits to the small room are unavoidable without causing upset to my nearest and dearest...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Maybe it's the illusion of normalcy after so many years that is alluring.
    Yeah amen to that. Wife will be sitting down with a nice beer after dinner on Friday [tonight] and I'll be heading out the door to work...