Should I Eat/Drink This?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Should I Eat/Drink This?

Before the Coronavirus hit I did some cleaning out of the pantry and found a few things of questionable age. Hating to be wasteful I kept some of them. Now with the world in a crisis I feel that I may need to eat them soon. Will I be safe? Please help me understand which of these would be ok to consume:

Should I Eat/Drink This?-20200331_112707.jpg

1) Pad Thai for Two. Best Before: October 30, 2016
    I love Pad Thai. Pad Thai for Two is twice as good. I think as long as I add fresh meat (not Canadian bacon), I should be good.

2) Olive Snack: Pitted Green Olives Marinated with Chili and Black Pepper. Expiration Date: November 2017. Initially the packaging gives me hope, ďPackaged in a protective atmosphere.Ē But then it gets a little scary, ďWARNING: Handle with care. Evan an almost invisible hole on the pack may result in product degradation.Ē I think Iíll flip a coin as to whether or not to eat this.

3) Dona Maria Mole Verde Mexican Condiment. Best by: September2012. Letís cut to the chase here. Itís Mexican food. Iím destined to get the shits whether this was made by the ancient Aztecs or on a street corner 20 minutes ago. Iím eating it.

4) One-Pie Pumpkin pie filling. Expiration date: Unknown. Best by: Unknown. Origin? Potentially the Pilgrims or the Native Americans canned it as a leftover after the first Thanksgiving. More than likely it was bought by Mrs. Scott O many moons ago when we first started dating in order to impress me with her cooking skills, ie 20 years ago. The label is all faded and stained. Thereís a lot of rust on the cover. I think I should be ok if I just take small bites at a time.

5) Midori Melon Liqueur. Expiration date: Unknown. Best by: Unknown. Origin? I inherited a liquor cabinet from a roommate probably 25 years ago and this was part of it. The rest of the booze is long gone. I canít get the cap open. I remember a company Christmas years ago when a shy girl named Smitty drank a shit ton of drinks made with Midori and she wound up puking up her green guts everywhere in the hallway. It was hysterical! Alcohol kills everything so If I can get this opened Iím definitely drinking it.

6) Alien Vodka Ė Iím drinking it right now, so please ignore.

7) Beefy Onion - Soup and Dip Mix. Best by: December, 2014. Common sense say throw this in the garbage, stat! However, the marketing genius that came up with the name, ďBeefy OnionĒ, got their hooks in me. Iím eating it.

NOTE TO MODS: please move to the Training and Nutrition Forum if more appropriate, thanks.

High Desert MTBer
    Basically chuck it all out except the vodka and Pad Thai. Use the vodka to cook the Pad Thai and you'll be right mate!
    It's all Here. Now.

Bikesexual
    No way Jose! (That's Scott in Spanish)

I cringe at expired food, just threw away some cheddar cheese that was 4 days old lol!

I gutted my fridge as well, and there are zero expired items.
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

mtbr member
    pad thai yes. other food stuff no. it really should not be eaten even if it didn't expire. midori pitch it. vodka always fine.

lets see everybody's pantries. this could be good.

my parents.
    Should I Eat/Drink This?-img_20200330_150447112.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    if its liquid pitch it. if it has fats for oils pitch it. if it is high in salt aka the beefy onion it's still good.

mtbr member
    Oooh....I'd be apt to get rid of all of it. Booze lasts forever, though.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

High Desert MTBer
    Found some nicely aging grapes in the back of our fridge. I think I'm gonna tread them and make some nice tasty pre-aged wine

Should I Eat/Drink This?-compost-rotting-fruits-vegetables.jpg
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Thatís called Moldymash.
    Freedom is a shield against the negative consequences of the Foolishness of others.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkFathom View Post
    Thatís called Moldymash.
    Only if I do it with bare feet after my hike
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member

Out spokin'
    Who doesnít love padded thighs! I say eat Ďem!
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Who doesnít love padded thighs! I say eat Ďem as a spread!
    =sParty
    Fify

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post

NOTE TO MODS: please move to the Training and Nutrition Forum if more appropriate, thanks.
    It's doing just fine here..

there's a gourmet meal hiding somewhere in that post.

mtbr member
    something old, moldy and gourmet.

Should I Eat/Drink This?-blue-cheeses-1.jpg

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Before the Coronavirus hit I did some cleaning out of the pantry and found a few things of questionable age. Hating to be wasteful I kept some of them. Now with the world in a crisis I feel that I may need to eat them soon. Will I be safe? Please help me understand which of these would be ok to consume:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200331_112707.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	1320943

1) Pad Thai for Two. Best Before: October 30, 2016
    I love Pad Thai. Pad Thai for Two is twice as good. I think as long as I add fresh meat (not Canadian bacon), I should be good.

2) Olive Snack: Pitted Green Olives Marinated with Chili and Black Pepper. Expiration Date: November 2017. Initially the packaging gives me hope, ďPackaged in a protective atmosphere.Ē But then it gets a little scary, ďWARNING: Handle with care. Evan an almost invisible hole on the pack may result in product degradation.Ē I think Iíll flip a coin as to whether or not to eat this.

3) Dona Maria Mole Verde Mexican Condiment. Best by: September2012. Letís cut to the chase here. Itís Mexican food. Iím destined to get the shits whether this was made by the ancient Aztecs or on a street corner 20 minutes ago. Iím eating it.

4) One-Pie Pumpkin pie filling. Expiration date: Unknown. Best by: Unknown. Origin? Potentially the Pilgrims or the Native Americans canned it as a leftover after the first Thanksgiving. More than likely it was bought by Mrs. Scott O many moons ago when we first started dating in order to impress me with her cooking skills, ie 20 years ago. The label is all faded and stained. Thereís a lot of rust on the cover. I think I should be ok if I just take small bites at a time.

5) Midori Melon Liqueur. Expiration date: Unknown. Best by: Unknown. Origin? I inherited a liquor cabinet from a roommate probably 25 years ago and this was part of it. The rest of the booze is long gone. I canít get the cap open. I remember a company Christmas years ago when a shy girl named Smitty drank a shit ton of drinks made with Midori and she wound up puking up her green guts everywhere in the hallway. It was hysterical! Alcohol kills everything so If I can get this opened Iím definitely drinking it.

6) Alien Vodka Ė Iím drinking it right now, so please ignore.

7) Beefy Onion - Soup and Dip Mix. Best by: December, 2014. Common sense say throw this in the garbage, stat! However, the marketing genius that came up with the name, ďBeefy OnionĒ, got their hooks in me. Iím eating it.

Is that a fresh pot of coffee I see on the counter in the background?

mtbr member
    Depends how many rolls of that hoarded TP youíre willing to gamble.
    DAAAANG...that was janky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Is that a fresh pot of coffee I see on the counter in the background?
    Yes. Maybe I should mix it with the Midori?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Yes. Maybe I should mix it with the Midori?

Bingo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir kayakalot View Post
    Depends how many rolls of that hoarded TP youíre willing to gamble.
    Great point, though I've always got the garden hose if things get bad.

be1
    the beat goes on
    just took a bite of 2016 vintage cheerios. it was as good as it sounds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    Found some nicely aging grapes in the back of our fridge. I think I'm gonna tread them and make some nice tasty pre-aged wine

Name:	compost-rotting-fruits-and-vegetables.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	1320955

Wash them feets!
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great point, though I've always got the garden hose if things get bad.

Well many items to use before you bend over in the front garden to hose the poo off your bum.

I've been known to use Kleenex and paper towel. Heard others on YT using news paper, printer paper, paper from books, some army guy said he used gravel, others stated leaves or rocks.

Ultimately, hose down with a removable shower head. Andre the Giant took shits in the tub, as per Joe Rogans podcast with Jake the Snake Roberts.

Cycologist
    Funny, we have an unopened bottle of Midori that someone gave my wife probably 15 years or so ago. I've been thinking about opening it and was wondering if it would be ok.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    Well many items to use before you bend over in the front garden to hose the poo off your bum.

I've been known to use Kleenex and paper towel. Heard others on YT using news paper, printer paper, paper from books, some army guy said he used gravel, others stated leaves or rocks.

Ultimately, hose down with a removable shower head. Andre the Giant took shits in the tub, as per Joe Rogans podcast with Jake the Snake Roberts.
    this goes back to the waffle stomp conversation. but I think your batter might be a bit too thin for waffles after eating some of those items.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post

One time I was out backpacking and had to do my business in a wooden box over a pit. Well, as luck would have it, or my general clumsiness, I knocked the TP into the pit toilet when I tried to grab it to wipe. Fortunately, there was a nearby snow bank which worked very well, if a bit cold on the bum.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Funny, we have an unopened bottle of Midori that someone gave my wife probably 15 years or so ago. I've been thinking about opening it and was wondering if it would be ok.
    Wine gets better with age.

You want to take a risk on 15 year old Midori, in a medical epidemic crisis?

Cycologist
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Look at the way the date is worded.

If it is "Best Before", it is still safe to eat after that date. Flavor may be affected, or not mix up right. Properties are affected, but won't make you sick. The USDA mandates a sunset date on all processed or packaged food, and that date is way conservative. Most of the time it is still OK long after that date.

It is says "Consume By" or "Use Before" consider that a firm date. You really have a length of time after that it is still good, but the food will eventually deteriorate into something harmful.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

be1
    the beat goes on
    just in time for this thread - there is a new show on history channel called Eating History. tonight they ate 40 year old cookie mix, drank 100 year old brandy that they found hidden in a wall of an old speakeasy and considered eating a can of fried crickets from the 40's ( but ultimately didn't).

2 of the guys that tried the brandy liked it ok. the other one said it was vinegary. FWIW

edit: 2 big episodes tonight. the other one they did billy beer and super old cracker jack

be1
    the beat goes on
    earlier this year while cleaning out the fridge at work we found some frozen cookie dough, probably 2-3 years old. what could go wrong? they decided to bake them in the toaster oven. didn't smell very good. i didn't try them but others did. i don't think it turned out very well.

mtbr member
    Left over pantry items... reminds me of when we once came back from a 2 week vacation to find a leafy vine growing in the pantry! Talk about a WTF moment. Turns out a potato had apparently fallen out of its bag into the back of the pantry. And somehow, in the dark, with no water, sprout its vines. Apparently our North Texas humidity was enough water for it. It had obviously been there longer than or vacation, as it had nice ball of vine around it.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Throw everything away, except for the vodka.
    2017 Specialized Camber FSR

Out spokin'

Should I eat this?

It seems this threadís key words have caused the server to offer an interesting ad. Iím not sure whatís being advertised but Iím considering buying some regardless.
    =sParty
    Should I Eat/Drink This?-e0611815-4646-4474-b2b1-c633f4980e43.jpg
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    It seems this threadís key words have caused the server to offer an interesting ad. Iím not sure whatís being advertised but Iím considering buying some regardless.
    =sParty

Name:	E0611815-4646-4474-B2B1-C633F4980E43.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	1321403
    You are going to look fantastic!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    You are going to look fantastic!
    And have a place for storing two extra water bottles up front!
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Pipe Dreamer
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Give'er!
    Somebody never watched Saturday morning cartoons in the late 80's and early 90's lol!

...even though I'm pretty sure whoever made the infomercial above was high on something lol!