mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Selling used textbooks?

I recently graduated from college and over my four years I saved all my text books so that I could sell them all at once. I had planned on saving them until the 2012-2013 school year started so I could sell them individually and get more for them, but now Im moving to China in August. I know that there are companies out there that buy them in bulk but I know I will also get a lot less for them going that way. What is my best option for making some money off these books?

mtbr member
    Craigslist maybe in the area that your school is located or take them in to the school bookstore and see what they will give you.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Unfortunately I was at a smaller school that doesn't offer many summer classes, so even if my books were being used in any of their classes the chances of finding a buyer through craigslist is almost nonexistent. My school book store also only takes textbooks for a couple days after finals week and unfortunately I missed it.

since 4/10/2009
    2 choices:
    1) get yourself an Amazon seller's account

2) Burn them.

If you have saved them from all 4 years, #2 is probably the best bet unless the book is something obscure and out of print that is still used. Otherwise there are going to be newer editions and nobody will want your old books. The rule with selling the book is that you need to do it as soon as the class is over or you'll never get rid of it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    2 choices:
    1) get yourself an Amazon seller's account

2) Burn them.

If you have saved them from all 4 years, #2 is probably the best bet unless the book is something obscure and out of print that is still used. Otherwise there are going to be newer editions and nobody will want your old books. The rule with selling the book is that you need to do it as soon as the class is over or you'll never get rid of it
    +1, sounds like you screwed yourself. The classes probably changed editions. Might be able to sell back your last terms books to the bookstore, or on ebay. The other books are probably worthless.

mtbr member
    sell them back, you might not get much. But something is better then nothing
    A person who never made a mistake,
    never tried anything new..... Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Fortunately my textbooks are not science or math based and only a couple of them would have new editions. The rest of them are other academic works in law and politics, so a lot of these books have been used for decades. I guess I might just have to suck it up and sell them off to a bulk buyer though.

mtbr member
    It's been a long time since I sold a textbook, but here are a couple of options (besides eBay):

Amazon.com: Sell Your Books

Sell Your Books - Instant Quote

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SDKmann View Post
    Fortunately my textbooks are not science or math based and only a couple of them would have new editions. The rest of them are other academic works in law and politics, so a lot of these books have been used for decades. I guess I might just have to suck it up and sell them off to a bulk buyer though.
    If you think that's the case, sell them on Amazon. I have managed to turn a profit on a few books there actually

9 lives
    If you are not expecting to get bet much $ for your texts... maybe you could consider donating them
    There are some organizations that collect and distribute books where there is a need
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Huckin' trails
    This is what I did with mines...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Selling used textbooks?-dscn2502_web.jpg  

Selling used textbooks?-dscn2503_web.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get an Amazon or Half.com seller account. Best bang for the buck generally. You'll have to sell them individually though.

Members who have read this thread: 0