scooter share e-scooter, the death of western civilization?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 52 of 52
  1. #1
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516

    scooter share e-scooter, the death of western civilization?

    Bird is seeking more investment in its medical facial reconstruction enabling venture of e-scooters due to the fact that they lose ~$1 on each ride. Thankfully there are plenty of investors out there that seem to want to back losing propositions so I am sure they will maintain their ability to injure stupid people and fill the sidewalks with litter.

    https://jalopnik.com/bird-scooters-l...ore-1836282258

    What I don't get is how this business model works? If you take a few rides on an e-scooter and like it, wouldn't then think to yourself "It'd be nice to have my own, one that I always know will work, be there when i need it, and not potentially run out of e when I least expect it too"? Then buy your own. It is not like it is a flat rate for a ride. I recall when they first came to Silicon Valley someone did a comparison of them and rented them out for an evening of use and it ended up costing around what it would have cost for the journalist and their friends to take an Uber/Lift between all their stops. They also had one fail during the ride and at one location some else check a couple of them out and they had to walk to another location to find one.

    Then there is this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.c01158ce4452

    Who is responsible when an e-scooter, riding the wrong way on a MUP hits and injures someone? Is the rider responsible? What about the company that provides the scooter to users? Very gray area.

    Anyone used their terrifying contraptions?
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  2. #2
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,356
    They are everywhere in down town Scottsdale during the tourist season.... I think the college girls look hot scooting around in their shorty shorts and tank tops.

    I've never ridden one. Not even sure how the app works.

  3. #3
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    They are everywhere in down town Scottsdale during the tourist season.... I think the college girls look hot scooting around in their shorty shorts and tank tops.

    I've never ridden one. Not even sure how the app works.
    The current mayor of Seattle thinks this will be a good match for the city. So minimal brakes, wet and steep hills, tons of tourists, tiny roads, tiny sidewalks, and minimal large bike infrastructure is what she deems a good match. I would bet her good match is more like: more tax $$$.

    As a bike commuter I am terrified of these. We have the lime e-bikes here and they terrify me and they are pretty well behaved just unpredictable users, the geometry of them trends towards stable. Scooters on the other hand are terrifyingly darty and even more unpredictable by their inability to cross sticks, curb bumps, puddles, etc.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  4. #4
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    34,054
    Just to confirm, is this the beast we are talking about?

    Name:  6C461692-7B5E-4D9B-9814-A7E32F098ABC.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  14.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  5. #5
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Just to confirm, is this the beast we are talking about?

    Name:  6C461692-7B5E-4D9B-9814-A7E32F098ABC.jpeg
Views: 55
Size:  14.6 KB
    https://www.bird.co/how/ bird is one of the big ones.

    But there are multiple scooter share companies vying for unsuspecting thrill seekers dental surgeries.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  6. #6
    be1
    be1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    65
    Living in a city that attracts literally millions of tourists per year -
    I think that if you have the right circumstance e-scooters could work. For instance - if you have a large manufacturing plant it could save time getting from one end to the other - in other words a closed system.
    The problem starts when you have the scooters sharing (dominating?) the road with automobiles. Commuters want to get where they need to be - either to work or home. Tourists on scooters don't give a 5h!t about that. They generally disregard traffic rules, and cause more backup than they fix. And drunk scooters are the worst.
    There have been injuries and deaths of scooter-riders but the politicians are more concerned with the money. I keep hoping the city gets sued for allowing this crap to keep happening.



    tl;dr - get rid of the fekkin' scooters!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    I maintain large commercial properties in Scottsdale and Phoenix, AZ. I hate, hate, hate these stupid scooters. They are an eyesore, dumped everywhere. Several cars have been damaged and accidents caused not just by those riding the scooters but they leave them in the street. I was working a property near old town Scottsdale and did enjoy watching a guy carrying his dutch bros coffee and texting while on the scooter. He hit a crack and didn't go down hard but spilled his coffee all over himself.

    San Diego has had a major problem with them as well, including several deaths. they allow them on the very congested boardwalk on mission, ocean, and pacific beach. there are even people that have driven the over the Coronado bridge. I have ridden over that on a bike, but that was for an event. there are no bike lanes and if you eat it on the edge it is a very long way down.

    E-Scooters on Coronado bridge
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  8. #8
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,365
    I agree...these things are a scourge.

    My city put a ban/moratorium on them while officials decided to take the time to decide if they can be implemented safely/smartly here. It's a hilly city with an old downtown, so road corridors are narrow. Also a tourist town with lots of ped traffic. Also, pavement quality is fairly low. A few brick streets, too. Tiny wheels no matter what they're on are just a recipe for disaster. The scooter proponents I've heard say that scooters will push the city to make transport facilities overall more accommodating to more users, so they're claiming the result will be better infra for bikes AND peds, but I call bollocks on that claim.

    The city might build a LITTLE BIT of new infra in the short term, but a lot of the streets here don't even have room for a couple of painted bike lanes. Where TF are the scooters going to go? Sidewalks too crowded for them to share with peds. That pushes them out into the street, and the darty, unstable nature of them doesn't mix with lumbering hulks of steel internal combustion monstrosities. Eat shit in front of a delivery truck from riding over a wet manhole cover (oh yeah, it's very wet here, too) and you're going to have scooter-rider-puree.

    Parking scooters? Yeah, as I mentioned...no space. I guess the city could remove parallel parking spaces, but IMO they'd be better used for travel lanes and wider sidewalks than for scooter share parking. Parking is already pretty tight in the downtown area, and transit isn't robust enough to make up for it. Sometimes I uber into downtown to avoid needing to park. It's really my only transit option, which is pretty poor. The bus doesn't go anywhere near where I live, unfortunately.

  9. #9
    Meatbomb
    Reputation: Phillbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    6,356
    azimiut, I've notice a lack of the rental bikes in old town ... were they booted out of town? or just removed due to the tourist being gone???

  10. #10
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,041
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    Bird is seeking more investment in its medical facial reconstruction enabling venture of e-scooters due to the fact that they lose ~$1 on each ride. Thankfully there are plenty of investors out there that seem to want to back losing propositions so I am sure they will maintain their ability to injure stupid people and fill the sidewalks with litter.

    https://jalopnik.com/bird-scooters-l...ore-1836282258

    What I don't get is how this business model works? If you take a few rides on an e-scooter and like it, wouldn't then think to yourself "It'd be nice to have my own, one that I always know will work, be there when i need it, and not potentially run out of e when I least expect it too"? Then buy your own. It is not like it is a flat rate for a ride. I recall when they first came to Silicon Valley someone did a comparison of them and rented them out for an evening of use and it ended up costing around what it would have cost for the journalist and their friends to take an Uber/Lift between all their stops. They also had one fail during the ride and at one location some else check a couple of them out and they had to walk to another location to find one.

    Then there is this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.c01158ce4452

    Who is responsible when an e-scooter, riding the wrong way on a MUP hits and injures someone? Is the rider responsible? What about the company that provides the scooter to users? Very gray area.

    Anyone used their terrifying contraptions?
    Millennials...

    They do not want the hassle of having to maintain anything through ownership. They like the idea of disposable transportation. It's them who have made Uber and similar businesses such a success. They don't want to own cars either, nor do they even want to drive. Much easier to just call for a ride.

    The world is in their hands now, not ours. God save us all...
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  11. #11
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I agree...these things are a scourge.

    My city put a ban/moratorium on them while officials decided to take the time to decide if they can be implemented safely/smartly here. It's a hilly city with an old downtown, so road corridors are narrow. Also a tourist town with lots of ped traffic. Also, pavement quality is fairly low. A few brick streets, too. Tiny wheels no matter what they're on are just a recipe for disaster. The scooter proponents I've heard say that scooters will push the city to make transport facilities overall more accommodating to more users, so they're claiming the result will be better infra for bikes AND peds, but I call bollocks on that claim.

    The city might build a LITTLE BIT of new infra in the short term, but a lot of the streets here don't even have room for a couple of painted bike lanes. Where TF are the scooters going to go? Sidewalks too crowded for them to share with peds. That pushes them out into the street, and the darty, unstable nature of them doesn't mix with lumbering hulks of steel internal combustion monstrosities. Eat shit in front of a delivery truck from riding over a wet manhole cover (oh yeah, it's very wet here, too) and you're going to have scooter-rider-puree.

    Parking scooters? Yeah, as I mentioned...no space. I guess the city could remove parallel parking spaces, but IMO they'd be better used for travel lanes and wider sidewalks than for scooter share parking. Parking is already pretty tight in the downtown area, and transit isn't robust enough to make up for it. Sometimes I uber into downtown to avoid needing to park. It's really my only transit option, which is pretty poor. The bus doesn't go anywhere near where I live, unfortunately.
    I think municipalities, if they decide that this is a worthy addition to their city, need to realize that there needs to be a reduction of car parking so that additional thoroughfares and parking can be provided to protect both pedestrians and the scooter/bike share users. Ultimately someone is going to die on one of these, under a car or truck, and their family will be forced to sue the city for not providing safe use areas for these but allowing the company to sell the service in the city. The liability for the municipality is fairly huge here, is it worth less than the tax revenue for the company, maybe not, and maybe that is why they still allow these scooters in the city.

    I work on the waterfront in Seattle and would expect to see many of these pitched into Puget sound by irate locals, kids, homeless people, and just people that think it would be cool. Sadly adding batteries to the sound wouldn't help the local wildlife and the city would be on the hook to remove these from the sound, which I am sure offsets any tax gain they have leveraged by letting these in the city.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  12. #12
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Millennials...

    They do not want the hassle of having to maintain anything through ownership. They like the idea of disposable transportation. It's them who have made Uber and similar businesses such a success. They don't want to own cars either, nor do they even want to drive. Much easier to just call for a ride.

    The world is in their hands now, not ours. God save us all...
    It is not millenials that own these companies, it is people that are selling the soul, safety, and vision of sustainability to a group of people that are willing to buy it. If you want to vilify someone you don't vilify the end user, you vilify the supplier. In this case I would wager this falls right on Gen X and older business owners. I mean, facebook aside, most of these large tech companies marketing to the millennials are not run by millennials. Uber, Lift, Bird, Lime, Ofo, etc, not run by Millennials. Apple, samsung, microsoft, google, not run by Millennials.

    While it is convenient to blame millennials they are the end user, the blame should be place directly into the older generations who are marketing this crap to them.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  13. #13
    be1
    be1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    65
    There is a concern that there are too many drunk scooter riders. The answer from the scooter companies? You will have to answer a sobriety question by writing the word 'yes' on a screen. wow. Good solution.

    father of the year:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scooter share e-scooter, the death of western civilization?-idiot.jpg  


  14. #14
    be1
    be1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    While it is convenient to blame millennials they are the end user, the blame should be place directly into the older generations who are marketing this crap to them.
    Don't forget greedy politicians (mostly not millenials) who allow this to happen. It could all go away with the swipe of a pen.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    387
    They just pulled a dozen or more of the Bird scoots out of San Diego bay.
    They don't look so good....

  16. #16
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    There are some good videos of people crashing those things in dramatic fashion, and of course they're wearing zero protection.

  17. #17
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    There is a concern that there are too many drunk scooter riders. The answer from the scooter companies? You will have to answer a sobriety question by writing the word 'yes' on a screen. wow. Good solution.

    father of the year:
    wow. just wow.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  18. #18
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,438
    They are banning them in the suburban towns around me but still legal downtown.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  19. #19
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    34,054
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    There is a concern that there are too many drunk scooter riders. The answer from the scooter companies? You will have to answer a sobriety question by writing the word 'yes' on a screen. wow. Good solution.

    father of the year:
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    They just pulled a dozen or more of the Bird scoots out of San Diego bay.
    They don't look so good....
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    There are some good videos of people crashing those things in dramatic fashion, and of course they're wearing zero protection.
    Houston, we have a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  20. #20
    NDD
    NDD is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    Millennials...

    They do not want the hassle of having to maintain anything through ownership. They like the idea of disposable transportation. It's them who have made Uber and similar businesses such a success. They don't want to own cars either, nor do they even want to drive. Much easier to just call for a ride.

    The world is in their hands now, not ours. God save us all...
    Jeez, you sound older than you ought to. Don't pin this on people like me. I know plenty of millennials who hate these things (myself included). I usually pass one or two that I'd like to throw off of a bridge on my 1.5 mile walk to work. Or should I drive to work such a short distance every day, Mr. Hawg? Would that be more Boomer of me?
    dang

  21. #21
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,041
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    It is not millenials that own these companies, it is people that are selling the soul, safety, and vision of sustainability to a group of people that are willing to buy it. If you want to vilify someone you don't vilify the end user, you vilify the supplier. In this case I would wager this falls right on Gen X and older business owners. I mean, facebook aside, most of these large tech companies marketing to the millennials are not run by millennials. Uber, Lift, Bird, Lime, Ofo, etc, not run by Millennials. Apple, samsung, microsoft, google, not run by Millennials.

    While it is convenient to blame millennials they are the end user, the blame should be place directly into the older generations who are marketing this crap to them.
    I could not disagree more. Of course we vilify the end user because the end user made the choice to make this happen by using the product. A business fails without sales/activity. It's the end user that makes the world what it is, not the availability to make it so. We have brains. I suggest we use them (Big City Millennials).
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    azimiut, I've notice a lack of the rental bikes in old town ... were they booted out of town? or just removed due to the tourist being gone???
    the ones you have to pedal are gone. that was too hard. now its mostly scooters and a few e bikes. I saw this morning e-bikes that looked like harley choppers. WTF. I couldn't stop to take a pic. I will be that way tomorrow to check it out. There were about 10 of them at the corner of 1st ave and Scottsdale Rd. plus it is summer and low end of tourism.

    I found a bird scooter by my house. I am 10 miles from a suburbia development, 20 miles from a shopping mall. I wanna how it got there.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  23. #23
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,365
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I found a bird scooter by my house. I am 10 miles from a suburbia development, 20 miles from a shopping mall. I wanna how it got there.
    Toss it into the nearest body of water.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    34,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Toss it into the nearest body of water.

    Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Wit da fishes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    its out in the desert with many many missing bodies, I mean stuff, yea stuff.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  26. #26
    One ring to mash them all
    Reputation: the one ring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,258
    They're supposed to start geo-fencing areas in San Diego to limit the speed to 3 mph.
    This is not normal. Don't be the frog in the pot.

  27. #27
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I found a bird scooter by my house. I am 10 miles from a suburbia development, 20 miles from a shopping mall. I wanna how it got there.
    It's that dog that bit you, he's coming to finish the job.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    It's that dog that bit you, he's coming to finish the job.
    I knew it. That SOB.

    scooter share e-scooter, the death of western civilization?-576821aa32c51.image.jpg
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    437
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo4fcDWtlKM

    Looks like it could be a highly entertaining way to injure myself.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

  30. #30
    Up In Smoke
    Reputation: Train Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,564
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post

    Looks like it could be a highly entertaining way to injure myself.
    I was expecting to see some carnage, not sure what I just watched

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    I was expecting to see some carnage, not sure what I just watched
    A group of people jumping bird scooters off stuff. I just think Dylan Stark is a very talented bike rider and it was somewhat related to the topic.

    But seriously I think anything that gets people out of cars isn't entirely bad. It seems to me the problem with Bird scooters is that they don't have docking stations so they just get left places, thrown in rivers, etc. And also people drive around to pick them up to charge them every night and that kind of negates the getting people out of cars thing. If they had to docked at a station that charged them, it would help with a lot of the issues IMO.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

  32. #32
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,365
    Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    But seriously I think anything that gets people out of cars isn't entirely bad. It seems to me the problem with Bird scooters is that they don't have docking stations so they just get left places, thrown in rivers, etc. And also people drive around to pick them up to charge them every night and that kind of negates the getting people out of cars thing. If they had to docked at a station that charged them, it would help with a lot of the issues IMO.
    Definitely part of the problem.

    Another being the part of the fact that they're inherently mechanically unstable due to the high center-of-gravity and the tiny wheels and actually require some skill to ride well at speed. But since all you need to do is push a button or twist a throttle to go fast, you get people riding them in ways that they have no business doing. And wrapped up into that is the nighttime crowd who ride them drunk.

    You're starting to see cities consider or implement nighttime bans.

    https://wtop.com/dc/2019/06/dc-counc...ter-companies/

  33. #33
    NDD
    NDD is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Definitely part of the problem.

    Another being the part of the fact that they're inherently mechanically unstable due to the high center-of-gravity and the tiny wheels and actually require some skill to ride well at speed. But since all you need to do is push a button or twist a throttle to go fast, you get people riding them in ways that they have no business doing. And wrapped up into that is the nighttime crowd who ride them drunk.

    You're starting to see cities consider or implement nighttime bans.

    https://wtop.com/dc/2019/06/dc-counc...ter-companies/
    Dude that's wild. I mean, these scooters are annoying and I don't mind if they get regulated to oblivion.

    In addition to scooter and bike share companies near my neighborhood, every drunk redneck in this city insists on using a golf cart to cruise around the neighborhood. Just checking things out or going to the bar kinda thing. It's safer, I guess but so so lazy. I didn't realize how slow those things were until I passed some people in one riding down a hill of night. Plus they're expensive. Why would you pay $5k+ (if new) for a golf cart to simply putz around the neighborhood?

    Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk
    dang

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    There is a concern that there are too many drunk scooter riders. The answer from the scooter companies? You will have to answer a sobriety question by writing the word 'yes' on a screen. wow. Good solution.
    Well, that's at least one step better than when a drunk gets behind the wheel of a car. Doesn't even have to answer that one question. And they're operating a car that weights 4,000 lbs.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

    Another being the part of the fact that they're inherently mechanically unstable due to the high center-of-gravity and the tiny wheels and actually require some skill to ride well at speed.
    I know that too well. I was a kid when Razor scooters became the big thing and I have the scars to prove it.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

  36. #36
    be1
    be1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    Well, that's at least one step better than when a drunk gets behind the wheel of a car. Doesn't even have to answer that one question. And they're operating a car that weights 4,000 lbs.
    After thinking more about it - although the scooter company presented it as a way to prevent drunk scootering, it really seems like an out in case of a law suit. "You lied about being intoxicated so it's not our fault."

    It's not going to do a damn thing about preventing drunk scooters.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    After thinking more about it - although the scooter company presented it as a way to prevent drunk scootering, it really seems like an out in case of a law suit. "You lied about being intoxicated so it's not our fault."

    It's not going to do a damn thing about preventing drunk scooters.
    Is it Ford's fault if a drunk driver crashes while driving a Ford? And personally, while I'm out cycling at night, I worry about drunk drivers. Not drunk scooter riders. Either way, we need police enforcement. I see too many people scooting on the sidewalk (where it's illegal) right in front of cops and nothing happens. If police enforced these laws, we would see a lot less people riding on the sidewalk.

    If police didn't enforce traffic rules for cars, I'd bet we'd see people driving on the sidewalk/shoulder (when possible).

  38. #38
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    26,365
    Quote Originally Posted by be1 View Post
    After thinking more about it - although the scooter company presented it as a way to prevent drunk scootering, it really seems like an out in case of a law suit. "You lied about being intoxicated so it's not our fault."

    It's not going to do a damn thing about preventing drunk scooters.
    I don't remember which city did it, but one city I read about awhile ago mandated that scooter chargers actually remove the scooters from the street by a certain time so they physically CANNOT be used during the prohibited hours. I suppose it's something that the companies' software can do, also. Since they have the ability to geofence them, that can also set up temporal fencing. They cannot be enabled/turned on between certain hours unless they're being charged or something like that.

    Won't prevent daytime drunk scootering, but it'll prevent a lot of nighttime shenanigans on them. Honestly, the scooter companies should be doing this anyway, as it'll reduce how many get tossed into bodies of water and vandalized in other ways, too.

    Almost all of the poor behavior on them can be ultimately blamed on the scooter share companies and how they've operated until now by just dumping them onto cities overnight and forcing cities to just deal with them or ban them completely. The landscape would be vastly different if people were just buying them themselves and using them...which, tbh, is what they did for at least a decade before the scooter share concept was born. Even the electric ones have been around for a very long time and they weren't problematic in such a way that anyone really felt the need to ban them.

    It's the dockless sharing companies that are the real problems, not the scooters themselves.

  39. #39
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    34,054
    Quote Originally Posted by howardv View Post
    Is it Ford's fault if a drunk driver crashes while driving a Ford? And personally, while I'm out cycling at night, I worry about drunk drivers. Not drunk scooter riders. Either way, we need police enforcement. I see too many people scooting on the sidewalk (where it's illegal) right in front of cops and nothing happens. If police enforced these laws, we would see a lot less people riding on the sidewalk.

    If police didn't enforce traffic rules for cars, I'd bet we'd see people driving on the sidewalk/shoulder (when possible).
    I vote for cops enforcing laws against real criminals. Iím pretty sure in most big cities they have better things to do with their time to protect the public. Small cities and towns, sure, enforce away. Iím not FOR these scooter rogue riders, Iím just saying, police cutbacks every year, they best be [spending the majority, if not all of their time] watching out for REAL criminals, as in violent offenders and alike.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  40. #40
    Not a role model
    Reputation: ninjichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,070
    If "western civilization" means a world built for/around cars, rather than a world built for/around humans, I will cheer on any bludgeoning that scooters are responsible for.

    Progress should be for the people, not for the cars and/or scooters. They are just tools, and their time comes and goes.

    If "western civilization" means a capitalistic society benefiting the few entitled, that shamelessly clear-cuts forests for single family homes with multi-car garages that give each car more space than a bedroom, commercial industry to fill the other space in the house with nonsense collectibles and decorative storage solutions to hold them, infrastructure to conveniently support communities which purposely distance themselves from real commercial centers such as stores with parking lots that take up over 2x more space than the store's footprint and roadways to connect everything, and employing "slaves" fooled into thinking they're entitled because of higher levels of sanitation in their living space, that they themselves pay for indirectly... uh, ya, scooters can certainly threaten the life of this monstrosity. What are they gonna do, convince people to stop paying the bills to cover-up all the evidence of miserable mishaps as if they never happened?

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    still rather be hit by a drunk on a scooter than a drunk in an SUV.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  42. #42
    MEGALOMANIAC
    Reputation: Hawgzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    25,041
    They have been littering the big city area here for quite a while. I saw these today down by the beach. On the next block, there was a cluster of 8 of them randomly laying about and against a light pole next to those was rental type electric bike equipped with a basket and dressed in pink.

    Quick, somebody go trip on one them that is blocking the way and sue the company and the City who allowed them. Make sure that you break your leg so that they will take you seriously.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scooter share e-scooter, the death of western civilization?-img_0022.jpg  

    life is... "All About Bikes"...

  43. #43
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    If "western civilization" means a world built for/around cars, rather than a world built for/around humans, I will cheer on any bludgeoning that scooters are responsible for.

    Progress should be for the people, not for the cars and/or scooters. They are just tools, and their time comes and goes.

    If "western civilization" means a capitalistic society benefiting the few entitled, that shamelessly clear-cuts forests for single family homes with multi-car garages that give each car more space than a bedroom, commercial industry to fill the other space in the house with nonsense collectibles and decorative storage solutions to hold them, infrastructure to conveniently support communities which purposely distance themselves from real commercial centers such as stores with parking lots that take up over 2x more space than the store's footprint and roadways to connect everything, and employing "slaves" fooled into thinking they're entitled because of higher levels of sanitation in their living space, that they themselves pay for indirectly... uh, ya, scooters can certainly threaten the life of this monstrosity. What are they gonna do, convince people to stop paying the bills to cover-up all the evidence of miserable mishaps as if they never happened?
    Maybe?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  44. #44
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,438
    Came across this today on the Atlanta Journal Constitution website; photo for the article headlined:

    Southwest Atlanta streets to shut down for bikers, pedestrians this fall


    scooter share e-scooter, the death of western civilization?-scooter_wrong.jpg

    Could they have picked a worse photo?
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    I know. Looks like the guy in grey shirt is trying to knock the guy in the red shirt over

  46. #46
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    34,054
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    I know. Looks like the guy in grey shirt is trying to knock the guy in the red shirt over
    Whatís even worse than that is that thereís an E-Board right behind the E-Scooter.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 5 Days Ago at 02:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

  47. #47
    Not a role model
    Reputation: ninjichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,070
    Severe lack of fat and extremely motor-dependent 40+ year olds in that picture. I imagine that they're probably indoors yelling at things not meeting their sanitation standards, from the comfort of a chair or possibly laying down if they're really that bad.

    The beautiful part of the photo is no cars laying about to trip over, and no need to sue the owners, manufacturers, and the cities that allowed them.

  48. #48
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Reputation: Klurejr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,651
    My wife works in marketing for a company that sells sight aides for low vision and blind people. These and dockless bikes are an absolute scourge for those with eye sight issues. I could care less if idiot's get themselves hurt, but it bothers me that they are not required to be placed in a dock after use. Blind people already have a hard enough life, they dont need these things blocking their paths.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

    Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

  49. #49
    Not a role model
    Reputation: ninjichor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,070
    Yea, and legally blind people are driving cars still. No joke. I hear stories of people trying to convince those who have their sight degrading, to stop driving, but people can't break their habits so easily and think little of the external costs of their foolishness.

    It's one thing to address unpredictability, but do you blame the tool or the users? It's mostly human stupidity that is the source of the problem, and in this case just need some etiquette in sharing public space. Too bad sharing is something many Americans haven't been taught too well, so might have to start from there rather than just trying to teach etiquette.

  50. #50
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,438
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    It's mostly human stupidity that is the source of the problem, and in this case just need some etiquette in sharing public space. Too bad sharing is something many Americans haven't been taught too well, so might have to start from there rather than just trying to teach etiquette.
    I don't think you're going to get many arguments there. The scooters could be better designed, as Harold has pointed out, with a larger front wheel that would ride safer over bumps, etc. But most of the issues are caused by human stupidity.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azimiut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    605
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

  52. #52
    be1
    be1 is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    65
    scooters are awesome
    Last edited by be1; 14 Hours Ago at 07:26 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Riding with camping western/south-western pa
    By hiss2 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-07-2019, 06:47 AM
  2. Helmet-Share coming to Boston Bike-Share
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2013, 05:59 PM
  3. OT - Year end Bonus - To share or not to share
    By mtnbkr33 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-23-2006, 09:19 AM

Members who have read this thread: 69

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.