RX Glasses for biking?- Mtbr.com
    Tonic Fall Guy
    Oct 2009

RX Glasses for biking?

Can anyone recommend inexpensive prescription glasses for biking? I usually use contacts (I have a super light RX) for long rides, but when I do a quick 45-mins out on the trails, I'd rather just throw some lightweight glasses on..Any out there? Thanks!

Fart smeller
    I wish you could get glasses at the store. I mean, you can get reading glasses and you can get sun glasses, why not prescription? You put them on, if they're the right prescription, you know it, right?

Must be a hell of an Optometry lobby.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

Pipe Dreamer
    Name:  clip on glasses.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  11.0 KB
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    go to walmart with your prescription. Probably wont find anything cheaper.

It only takes what, 30 seconds to put contacts in? I'd just ride with contacts.

mtbr member
    Picard is your man; IM him for details:

RX Glasses for biking?-schoolpictureglasses.jpg
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What do you mean by inexpensive? Also, does your prescription change much over time? If not and if you're devoted to the idea of sunglasses, you might have to bite the bullet and spend a little more than you want. I went though a similar search a few years ago and found that this is really a 'get what you pay for' scenario. IME the inexpensive ones are going to scratch easily and just won't last long enough to make it worth it. So I just went back to contacts.

9 lives
    SportRX does prescription sports sunglasses (Oakleys, Tifosis, Rudy Projects, etc).

https://www.sportrx.com/shopby/best_sports-cycling.html

Name:  Bubbles.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  15.8 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Zinnie optical online.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    +1 on SportRX. I live in San Diego and have been to the store with my wife. She had a
    pair of prescription Rudy Projects done, and she loves them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I have a pair of Rudy Projects I had made up with progressive lenses, amber colour, so no issues in low light. Not cheap.

I saw another thread on MTBR where guys were using bifocal safety sunglasses that have a small portion with a reading script in the bottom of the lense, and no script for the rest. OK if you just need the script for reading GPS etc. Lots of options and some look pretty decent/ just generic wraparound shades. Cheap $10-30

mtbr member
    Years ago I used to wear Rayban Wayfarers riding until a friend pointed out how hazardous broken glass might be in a crash. Something to think about.

mtbr member
    I just broke a pair of prescription Rudy Projects (the temple piece) after abusing them for over 5 years and they are warrantying them - sending a new pair of temple pieces. That's excellent customer service. Next time I buy new script sunglasses, they will be RPs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    I just broke a pair of prescription Rudy Projects (the temple piece) after abusing them for over 5 years and they are warrantying them - sending a new pair of temple pieces. That's excellent customer service. Next time I buy new script sunglasses, they will be RPs.
    Yep mine have done 5+ years so far. Makes the initial purchase cost worthwhile

mtbr member
    Just wanted to follow up and confirm that they sent me a pair of temple pieces for free - even free shipping. For mountain biking sunglasses that were over 5 years old that I broke in a crash. No questions asked. Unbelievable. I was just hoping to be able to buy some from 'em.

mtbr member
    I also prefer wearing glasses because the overgrowth and bug clouds we get in the midwest. I have purchased glasses on zennioptical.com, they have cheap glasses and even some "sport glasses". I found that the sport glasses did not sit right on my nose and they have a weird two-lense thing going on. But the regular glasses work well and if my nose were narrower I would probably like the sport glasses better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ are you telling us you have a fat nose?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    I also prefer wearing glasses because the overgrowth and bug clouds we get in the midwest.
    I never ride without them. I've had a stone whack the classes so hard I looked to see if they were cracked. A bee once battered off the glass really hard too. Either of those strikes in the eye could've been nasty, certainly ride ending.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    ^ are you telling us you have a fat nose?
    Yes I do. Proudly and prominently displayed

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've been super pleased with some single vs my usual multi-focal COSTCO prescription sunglasses. Their subcontractors who do the exams seem great all over and the prices are great. The COSTCO multi-focal are great too but single correction for distance only makes all the difference for my riding skills.
    ƃuoɹʍ llɐ ʇno əɯɐɔ ʇɐɥʇ

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just wanted to add to this thread. Just received a pair of prescription Tifosi Veloces in brown tint with orange mirror, polarized, from SportRX. These things are awesome!!!! Got another prescription set in clear for night riding!!!!!