Robocalls- Mtbr.com

Thread: Robocalls

Pipe Dreamer

Robocalls

I just got one of these recorded messages: Our databases show you vehicle's warranty is about to expire... would you like to speak to a representative? Yes... Yes... then dial tone. I wanted to tell them to take my frikkin # of their list!

These calls suck, I haven't had a vehicle under warranty for over twenty years! I was just washing some dishes this time, so it wasn't a big deal. But I could have been 30' up on a ladder with a paint brush in my hand, I wouldn't have tried to answer in that situation, but it would have been distracting for sure.

Just thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss. Here's one place to go if you get telemarketing calls:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides...exts-and-faxes

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    That's why Caller ID was created. I know all the numbers that interest me. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If they don't leave a message it was either a junk telemarketing call or it must have not been too important.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    I have caller I.D. on my landline and I probably get a dozen spam calls a day. I never answer unless I know who it is. Once in a while they'll leave a message. I google the number just to see who is calling because the do not call list is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by norton55 View Post
    I have caller I.D. on my landline and I probably get a dozen spam calls a day. I never answer unless I know who it is. Once in a while they'll leave a message. I google the number just to see who is calling because the do not call list is a joke.
    LOL
    I ninja posted you.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    There needs to be a Robo-call-cop.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    LOL
    I ninja posted you.
    I saw that. I was delayed due to a robocall.

Here ya go Korn.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's why Caller ID was created. I know all the numbers that interest me. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer. If they don't leave a message it was either a junk telemarketing call or it must have not been too important.
    Today's call was from California, so I was just too curious to pass it up. I normally don't get any telemarketing calls. I was getting them in the past and made it a point to tell them to take me off their list, which seemed to work. Now I get maybe one or two a year.

What really chaps my hide is that they prey on people who don't know any better. It makes me want to go after the bastards!

Maaaaan
    Wait until they start calling and claiming you owe the IRS money. LOL
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    When my daughter was a toddler I used to pass the phone to her and see how long the they would talk to her! :0)

mtbr member
    I remember a good one. Years ago my best friend's dad got a call from a company wanting to sell him a conservatory. He said 'I don't think you could put a conservatory on this house' but the guy said 'Oh no sir, we can pt them on any house.

so my friends dad let the guy ramble on, pretending he was keen. Kept the guy on the phone for ages, even arranged at day for the salesmen to come out, then just before he hung up he said:

'That's great. I'm really looking forward to seeing how you put a conservatory on a second-story flat.'

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    When my daughter was a toddler I used to pass the phone to her and see how long the they would talk to her! :0)
    I sometimes answer in a foreign language, or even tell them "Hello, Microsoft Tech Support". LOL

I've even told them I'm an investigating Interpol officer. That usually gets a Oh Sh!te and hanging up.

mtbr member
    Neat idea: LINK

More of a scam alert call than a telemarketer:

I had this call happen twice in the last several months. Both times I answered them the same. A middle eastern accent lady asking me information about my computer. Obviously trying to get personal information.

Heavy accent from Bangladesh.
    Lady: "Oh we see you are having technical issues with your computer"

I recognize this as a scam to get information out of me. So I immediately go into dumb old man mode. More so than usual.

Me: Computer?

Lady: Yes we seed you are having technical issues with your computer. Go to blah blah blah page.

Me: I cut her off, " I don't have a damn computer.

Lady already in an agitated voice. Yes your computer, we see you are having technical difficulties blah blah blah..
    I cut her off again.

Me: I don't have a computer.

Lady: You have a laptop, so go to blah blah blah.

I cut her off again

Me: Listen lady I don't have a computer...

CLICK she hangs up on me.

It feels so good to beat them to the punch. Both times, when she knew the jig was up and they were busted, click.

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I few years ago I kept getting cold calls from someone telling me they could lower my mortgage payment. I just kept hanging up, until one day I decided to listen to his spiel. He promised me he could lower my monthly payment. I finally asked "Do you guarantee it? You guarantee you can have me pay less then I do now?". He said yes, guaranteed. So I asked back "If you cannot get my payment lower, what will you do? Pay me cash each month?". At this point I think he became suspicious. "Uh,what is your current payment?". He hung up when I told him my house was paid off years ago and I owe nothing.

I had similar from a credit card company, promising they could slash what I owe. I did not want to play a game then so I just outright told him I pay the cards off each month and have no balance. Again, a hang up and no call backs.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Be carefull saying "yes" or anything to a robocall. There is a new scam where muttering anything has you agreeing to buying their shit. Next thing you know you get a bill and they have audio evidence of you agreeing to it. It's quite simple with just your # to find out just about anything about you including how you pay for said #.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Neat idea: LINK
    That's brilliant! I was just thinking of reporting them.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    Be carefull saying "yes" or anything to a robocall. There is a new scam where muttering anything has you agreeing to buying their shit. Next thing you know you get a bill and they have audio evidence of you agreeing to it. It's quite simple with just your # to find out just about anything about you including how you pay for said #.
    Oh crap, I think I bought a warranty for my vehicle this morning!

Pipe Dreamer

^^^ Bastids.

So just hanging up is your best option. I've got that down to a science.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I just paid my taxes over the phone. So easy. Just give SS number and credit cards info. No paperwork.

It's so easy!
    dang

And yet there's ZERO chance of having your identification stolen, just saying.

mtbr member
    If you have never heard Tom Mabe's telemarketer call.

I have to answer my phone since my personal phone is used for work. however no calls are ever from outside my area code for work. If its outta stake I wont answer.
    Dont make me go all Jonathan Winters on this gas station.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
    If you have never heard Tom Mabe's telemarketer call.

*snip*

I have to answer my phone since my personal phone is used for work. however no calls are ever from outside my area code for work. If its outta stake I wont answer.
    Don't run out of stake, go get more stakes at the local hardware store

mtbr member
    I recently wired 1000$ to a fellow in Jamaica in order to get my grandmother out of the clink down there. She should be home within a day or two.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

****** to the dirt
    okay it is with email but it is funny

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Moderator Moderator
    Apr 2011
    My dream job is working for the do not call list doing armed raids at rogue telemarketer call centers.

mtbr member
    I keep getting a call from some green energy company trying to get me to switch providers. Every time I answer, "hello," which is followed by a few seconds of silence. Then an attractive female voice says, "Oh, hey there. Sorry about that. I was having trouble with my headset," and proceeds to go into this long winded offer.

Gets me every time!

As far as I know, it started here:

'Go Green' solar telemarketers still annoying homeowners - CBS 5 - KPHO

The call I get is a local number though, so I'm wondering if it's a scammer using the 'Go Green' thing as a front.
    The cake is a lie.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I recently wired 1000$ to a fellow in Jamaica in order to get my grandmother out of the clink down there. She should be home within a day or two.
    What a nice grandson!
    dang

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I got the same call. I just told him to take the money from my Nigerian bank account.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    What a nice grandson!
    I forgot, however, that my grand mamas had passed many a year back.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I tell them will a past bankruptcy affect my application. They always hang up. Chimney cleaner kept calling. I finally spoke with them, no chimney here ( direct vent burner) No more calls.

mtbr member
    Some time ago, I was being lazy and just drinking beer around the house when the call came.

I think they were trying to sell insurance, or roofing, or whatever. I acted very interested at first, then I took every little thing that they said and turned it into a very long-winded fishing story.

Her: Our insurance plan guarantees your payments will not increase over the life of the policy.

Me: Speaking of guarantees my buddy Ryan guaranteed that we'd be catching some lunker browns off Point Pleasant at Lake Serene but when I trolled a carey's special on 6 wt. wet line I couldn't get a bite and then Ryan just puts a night crawler on his wedding ring drops in the water and less than two minutes I swear his pole took a dive and after a good eight minute battle he pulled up a brown that weighed in at 10 pounds I'm not kidding and so I put a night crawler on a wedding ring and dropped that in and put the motor on a slow troll and steered across the lake towards George's place and that reminds of the time that George and I were fishing for pinks on the Skagit and he tells me about the time that him and Ray were catching lingcod off Deception Point when Ray hooked into a dog fish and when he went to gaff it and then his glassed started to fall off and he lunged over the side of the boat and then....

CLICK! on the other end.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^lol!

mtbr member
    ^^ haha! So what happened to his glasses?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    ^^ haha! So what happened to his glasses?
    Me: As Ray lunged over the side of the boat he caught his glasses just as he hit the water and the he started screaming for help and George grabs a life-ring but then George's pole starts jumping up and down in the holder and he can tell it's a really big one and he has to decide whether to save Ray or haul in the biggest lingcod ever caught in Puget Sound and so George grabs...
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Who and the hell has a landline still?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Making the easy look difficult since 1980.

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150 View Post
    Who and the hell has a landline still?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Some of us don't have a reliable (close) cell tower nearby.

WHALENARD, WHALENARD swimming in the ocean
    Causing a commotion
    Because he is so awesome!

WHALENARD'S screen name just keeps running around in my head, to the Narwhal song, tune...
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 03-05-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0