Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadies?

better than I deserve

Roadies?

When we ride by any other bikers they are friendly but the little groups of roadies always have that smug I`m better than everyone else on a bike attitude and never respond to friendly waves or hello`s.
    My wife and daughter noticed it when we go for rides.
    They really believe they are some sort of elite group?

love you roadies
    Last edited by roblee; 04-23-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: took away flips so I break no rules here

Yes, that's fonetic
    Hoo boy. Here we go again.

DIY all the way
    Bring out the popcorn

Magura

local trails rider
    When a group of roadies are on a "real ride" (as opposed to just cruising) they need to focus on what they are doing: keep a very precise line. In their context, it is much like a mountain biker in the middle of a rock garden.

I don't wave to people when I'm in the middle of a rock garden.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

AZ
    banned
    When I don't want to wave I grab one of the road bikes.

mtbr member
    Do you normally wave to people you don't know? Or do you somehow believe that because you are both on a bike, you are somehow "connected" like guys on Harley's.

I ride a lot of road and get waved at by every one, I find it tiresome.

Here is a list of people I won't wave to;

Recumbants
    Anybody on a cruiser bike
    Male joggers. Females on the other hand get some attention.
    Triathlete guy who is wearing a ridiculous aero helmet around town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by roblee View Post
    When we ride by any other bikers they are friendly but the little groups of roadies always have that smug I`m better than everyone else on a bike attitude and never respond to friendly waves or hello`s.

you Roadies!
    ...that's because they are "in the zone". So they cannot be distracted

Likewise, I run into some mountain bikers on the trail whom are the same way.

Big B's Trails
    Don't ride the road and you won't have to worry about it anymore...
    I dig dirt!

AZ
    banned
    Hypoxia makes it difficult to acknowledge others.

Miami, FL
    they're in training .......... best not to even look at them as even the slightest distraction will throw off their cadence costing them precious microseconds in gracing the finish line with their presence.

Dan
    Trek 3500 disc

mtbr member
    dogs don't have to sniff each other's butts all the time when crossing paths

AZ
    banned
    FWIW, every really fast mtber that I know spends most of their cycling time on a road bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    FWIW, every really fast uphill mtber that I know spends most of their cycling time on a road bike.
    fixed (and unsubsribed)

mtbr member
    that's a great observation Yody. reppin that. confusing fitness for skill happens more than skill for fitness.

**** yeah, IBTB. Around here, no one waves. Not the old man on the hybrid, the college kid on the shitty ten-speed or the mom on the beach cruiser. As a matter of fact, while roadies still tend to not wave, they're the only ones who occasionally do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

EDR
    When I was a kid my older cousin in high school bought a BMW. It was old and sort of a beater car but whenever we rode around in it other BMW drivers coming head on to him would flash their headlights. It was some sort of BMW tribal acknowledgement.

I thought that was stupid then, and I think feeling obligated to wave at someone on a bike just because I happen to be on a bike, is stupid now. I don't own or ride a road bike.. just for reference.

Sweep the leg!
    I had a similar conversation with my daughter Saturday. Her soccer game had just finished and we were next to a road leaving town that is commonly used for training. As a group passed there were a few friends in it and we made eye contact and acknowledged each other. Nobody waved, that would be a breach of rule #71.

Waving simply isn't done. Ever. Now that she has a proper road bike, a Bridgestone RB-1 with modern components, I thought it was the time to let her in on "the secret handshake."

So yes, if you're riding with your family and you're on your MTB, chances are you won't see the subtle "hello" from a roadie.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    dogs don't have to sniff each other's butts all the time when crossing paths
    Brilliant.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    I was riding the mtb last Friday, first extended climb of the season for me. Stopped to take a quick breather and to let a couple approaching riders pass by. Girl was in front, I gave a quick hello. Nothing in response -- not even eye contact - just steely determination focused on the trail. A guy was about 15 ft behind her. Somewhat puzzled, I said 'nice day" as he passed. I got a nod of the head, that's it.

So imagine my confusion. I thought all mtb'ers were nice! I looked down and made sure I hadn't accidentially worn my lycra or something. Nope, I had baggies on (but I had my visorless roadie helmet). One thing is for sure -- getting ignored by roadies going 20 mph 40 feet away on the other side of the road stings less than getting blown off by someone passing at 3 mph who is only 4 feet away!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

bust a move
    bad roadies
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 04-28-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: image removed/point made

mtbr member
    When I ride on the road by myself, I tend to wave at folks -- why not be friendly? Honestly, I do feel a bit of kinship to those cyclists (even on cruiser bikes, etc.) who brave the roads full of texting, can't-slow-down drivers in the suburban area where I live.

However, I can certainly understand not waiving if you're riding in a group close together. There have also been times where the road was bumpy and I didn't want to loosen my grip to waive. At the end of the day, it's just a wave (or not).

better than I deserve
    That Butthurt cream looks fun.I road biked for many years but was never unfriendly especially if it was someone`s kids. Please don`t mistake me for someone that cares too much it was just more of an observation.Must be an image thing?

bust a move
    I road biked for many years but was never unfriendly especially if it was someone`s kids. Please don`t mistake me for someone that cares too much it was just more of an observation.Must be an image thing?
    Sorry, I thought the double flip off smiley kind of made it seem like you cared quite a bit

Your op made generalizations that I disagree with. If you used to ride road I would think you would know that for the reasons others have stated and more that roadies often don't speak. I am one of the "roadies" you spoke of and I make every attempt to wave back. If I don't, I am not being an elitist or unfriendly...I just didn't wave.

mtbr member
    this ain't Mayberry, OPie. no city folk on unobtanium cabron fiber rollin by has the time to say "hi" to ya. so don't get to bent on it.

mtbr member
    The OC forum is fun, because I basically read every post as though it is made sarcastically and/or in jest, which makes it even funnier when the post was serious and someone gets a lot of joking replies.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

banned
    FWIW, every really fast mtber that I know spends most of their cycling time on a road bike.
    Adam Craig does not by the way.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    The OC forum is fun, because I basically read every post as though it is made sarcastically and/or in jest, which makes it even funnier when the post was serious and someone gets a lot of joking replies.
    I fail to see the humor. This is serious! Rule #51

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Adam Craig does not by the way.

I don't know him.

mtbr member
    I like chocolate ice cream.
    Round and round we go

I'm more of a sorbet man myself.
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    I'm more of a sorebutt man myself.
    FIFY

Haha! That's awesome.

Beer Me!
    I like root-beer Floats.

Dragons Milk Stout Floats are the tits. Root-beer is for wussies.

banned
    I don't know him.
    Guess you do not know much about fast riders.

AZ
    banned
    Guess you do not know much about fast riders.

Because I don't know him? Troll fail.

banned
    GIANTs Top Pro Rider = Thanks for showing your lack of knowledge, tool.

mtbr member
    Who could have predicted that this thread would go wrong in 2 pages or less?

AZ
    banned

I did not say I did not know who he is, I said I don't know him. Reading comprehension fails you troll. Do you want me to type it slower so you can keep up?

DIY all the way
    I did not say I did not know who he is, I said I don't know him. Reading comprehension fails you troll. Do you want me to type it slower so you can keep up?
    LMAO!

Magura

EDR
    Why is it any of us should know who the hell Giant's "TOP" rider is? I don't know who it is, and I don't give a rats ass. I don't know any of the top riders. Does this make me less of a mountain biker or something. I also drive a Nissan truck but I have no idea who drives a Nissan truck in the NASCAR truck series, nor do I care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Do you think it's the roids and hideous "outfits"?

Sweep the leg!
    Let's try that... I got Lars Boom and Katie Compton from google. Google hasn't ever heard of your "top pro".

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Why is it any of us should know who the hell Giant's "TOP" rider is? I don't know who it is, and I don't give a rats ass. I don't know any of the top riders. Does this make me less of a mountain biker or something. I also drive a Nissan truck but I have no idea who drives a Nissan truck in the NASCAR truck series, nor do I care.
    It's YOUR jobs to know top riders, top skaters, top ice skaters, top pool players, top marathon runners, and top hot dog eating contest winners. Top pokers players can be ignored, they're not that important to remember.
    Who here doesn't know important irrelevant people in our lives?

Sweep the leg!
    the diner in my neighborhood has a float you might like...

Marty’s Black BavarIan shake - Sprecher Black Bavarian beer, vanilla ice cream and a pretzel rod. Yes, you get the extra beer in the bottle!

Beer Me!
    True, but i still like it. Best beer float i have ever made was 1/2 meantime coffee porter, 1/2 Youngs Chocolate Stout, with Chocolate ice cream, ohhhhhhh yea.

Both of those sound delicious. And root-beers cool in my book; I was attempting at *******ry.

Yes, that's fonetic
    I was riding the mtb last Friday, first extended climb of the season for me. Stopped to take a quick breather and to let a couple approaching riders pass by. Girl was in front, I gave a quick hello. Nothing in response -- not even eye contact - just steely determination focused on the trail. A guy was about 15 ft behind her. Somewhat puzzled, I said 'nice day" as he passed. I got a nod of the head, that's it.

So imagine my confusion. I thought all mtb'ers were nice! I looked down and made sure I hadn't accidentially worn my lycra or something. Nope, I had baggies on (but I had my visorless roadie helmet). One thing is for sure -- getting ignored by roadies going 20 mph 40 feet away on the other side of the road stings less than getting blown off by someone passing at 3 mph who is only 4 feet away!
    So because 2 riders didn't wave to you during an extended climb they're not nice? Try that butt hurt cream for the sting.

mtbr member
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Jn0FF1KwL4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

better than I deserve
    I rode up to two roadies today waiting at a traffic light and asked politely for a drink of their badger milk be-etches just ignored me? Luckily I had a tube of Buttcream to help me make it home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    2009 UCI MTB WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS! - News | Giant Bicycles | United States

Adam Craig's diary post...

....In this particular summer’s schedule of events, a block of racing week in and week out for six in a row gave way to ten days at home in Oregon to get said game face on. Not a whole lot, but enough if the cards are played well. I’m no gambler, but I do know how to sleep and eat well while absolutely maximizing available training time. In the ten days at home I got in well over thirty hours of training on the road bike and singlespeed, complemented by a glorious hundred-odd hours of sleeping, this seemed to be just the fitness revitalization that I needed on top of the recent slew of racing. I guess we’d find out, seems like most people who race bikes are aware of the worlds and try to go ahead and be ready. ....
    yeah... it's from 2009...

road biking is great for recovery and build some endurance...

Keep pedaling
    When I'm riding off-road, I wave at mountainbikers and hikers.

When I'm riding on paved roads, I don't wave at anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Do you normally wave to people you don't know? Or do you somehow believe that because you are both on a bike, you are somehow "connected" like guys on Harley's.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    2009 UCI MTB WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS! - News | Giant Bicycles | United States

Adam Craig's diary post...

yeah... it's from 2009...

road biking is great for recovery and build some endurance...

He was talking about the other Adam Craig.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    So because 2 riders didn't wave to you during an extended climb they're not nice? Try that butt hurt cream for the sting.
    This reply to my [obviously] sarcastic post reminds me of the other thing I like about OC -- when someone posts something that is clearly sarcastic (I mean, could I really be that offended by 2 riders not saying hi to me, and would I come on the internet and complain about it?) and someone else takes it serious...gotta love it.
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Yes, that's fonetic
    This reply to my [obviously] sarcastic post reminds me of the other thing I like about OC -- when someone posts something that is clearly sarcastic (I mean, could I really be that offended by 2 riders not saying hi to me, and would I come on the internet and complain about it?) and someone else takes it serious...gotta love it.
    Sorry, I guess my sarcasm meter has been skewed by the prevalence of those on these forums that would actually complain and be upset about this, and there have been many. Next time throw in a or two. (In other words, for us seniors you gotta make it more "[obviously] sarcastic").

the half breed devil
    When I don't want to wave I grab one of the road bikes.
    my sentiment exactly. i'm sure i'll find more in this thread...

the half breed devil
    i don't know who any team's "top pro rider" is nowadays and i couldn't give to hoots and a hatful of dogcrap...

the half breed devil
    if i had my way, i'd chase down and taze or pepper spray every roadie i didn't like the...oh wait...i'm not supposed to type stuff like that in a public forum...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    ....at the other Giant bicycle company...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Sorry, I guess my sarcasm meter has been skewed by the prevalence of those on these forums that would actually complain and be upset about this, and there have been many. Next time throw in a or two. (In other words, for us seniors you gotta make it more "[obviously] sarcastic").
    Well, my internet skills (or is that 'interwebs skillz?') are a work in progress!
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by floydlippencott View Post
    I'll bet Jenny Craig is faster

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    I'll bet Jenny Craig is faster
    faster how?

mtbr member
    I primarily am a roadie but ride mtb usually once or twice a week, I swing both ways. Anway, I am generally the one making eye contact and throwing the peace sign.

But then I stop for a piss break and everyone wants an autograph and that pisses me the hell off!

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    faster how?
    Faster than the knucklehead who thinks we should all know Top Giant Rider of the week.

mtbr member

Good job!

....at the other Giant bicycle company...
    Results from houffalize WC

10 Fabian Giger (Swi) Rabobank Giant Offroad Team
    20 Emil Lindgren (Swe) Rabobank Giant Offroad Team
    28 Henk Jaap Moorlag* (Ned) Rabobank Giant Offroad Team
    29 Liam Killeen (GBr) Giant Factory Off-Road Team
    52 Lachlan Norris (Aus) Giant Factory Off-Road Team
    78 Jérémy Huguenin (Swi) Giant Swiss Sr - Suntour
    88 Martin Fanger (Swi) Giant Swiss Sr - Suntour
    -1lap Adam Craig (USA) Rabobank Giant Offroad Team

At the OTHER top

mtbr member
    BACK to the OP.
    Keep wavin', some dudes think they are going to be in le next tour and are too busy to wave. You don't want to hang out with them anyway. The way i see it, if someone is too serious to wave, they aren't having fun, and if they are on a bike and not having fun, then they must be a real drag.

I love being on my bike, and i love seeing other people on their bikes, so i always smile, wave, nod, or stop and talk to other like-minded people on the trail (or on the road, as i must admit i have one of "those" bikes too).

Formerly mtbnoobadam
    I think this fits perfectly with this topic.
    SRSLY - YouTube

Lifer
    Open package, attach to top of helmet

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterMarv View Post
    BACK to the OP.
    Keep wavin', some dudes think they are going to be in le next tour and are too busy to wave. You don't want to hang out with them anyway. The way i see it, if someone is too serious to wave, they aren't having fun, and if they are on a bike and not having fun, then they must be a real drag.

I love being on my bike, and i love seeing other people on their bikes, so i always smile, wave, nod, or stop and talk to other like-minded people on the trail (or on the road, as i must admit i have one of "those" bikes too).
    I agree, bikes are fun!

the half breed devil
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    I agree, bikes are fun!
    say, are you the guy who rolled up behind me on a SS on the marincello fie road two weeks ago, scaring the hell out of me with your snorting and groaning? i was riding white and red cross bike...

the half breed devil
    sign your rep, you miserable troll chump...and get the stick out of your a$$...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roadies?-screen-shot-2012-04-26-9.20.03-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    Whether I'm on trail or road I wave, nod, or stop to say hello. If a person doesn't wave back life goes on, I don't wave to get one back, and I'm not gonna spend too much time trying to figure people out so.
    I find that roadies, mtbers, whatever will stop to help if you need it. What bothers me more is when you hold the door for someone, make eye contact and nothing, noda, zip. Figure if they can't or won't wave back or say thanx, nod or even just smile for a common courtesy, I prolly don't wanna talk to them either, and they just helped me figure that out qiucker.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shekky View Post
    say, are you the guy who rolled up behind me on a SS on the marincello fie road two weeks ago, scaring the hell out of me with your snorting and groaning? i was riding white and red cross bike...
    No, I'm pretty silent; but I do wave and generally act as a PR rep for mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I think its about three things:
    territory, relationships, and circumstances.

Territory: Every time a roadie might see one of us on their own territory: the road, they probably have to do a double take on our bike, (fat tires, disk brakes), outfit... etc. In that time period, there may not be enough time for a wave... same thing might happen when we see a road or cyclocross on a gnarly trail. (I've got nothing on you cyclocross guys btw). The point is that we see others on the wrong territory, and greetings usually clash...

Relationship: I think the waving thing is all about what the general gist of other bikers in the community is about. I always try to improve relations by smiling, waving, or greeting somehow. improving relations is what this life is about right? iIf you see a retard riding on the wrong side of the road into another biker, that helps relations to deteriorate... small things like that can mess it up a lot.

Circumstances: as mentioned before, roadies are all about efficency when riding. They have damn light bikes with high gears, opening car doors to watch for, and often times 6 inches of road to keep straight in. They could lose focus when trying to greet another biker, and end up going up the curb into an endo or becoming roadkill.
    Furthermore, our flavor of biking, I think, is more about traction, acceleration, torque, and handling the obstacles on the trail. We have more chances to greet when we pass each other so often (and often head on), specially on flat terrain or uphill where slow-going is common.

That's my two cents. rep anyone?
    Mtn Biking - As addictive as cocaine and twice as expensive.

Digging in the pain cave.
    I don't wave. I give a head nod. Easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by midschool22 View Post
    I don't wave. I give a head nod. Easier.
    It is pretty tough to wave. Of course, if the road is bumpy or you're riding in a group sometimes you want to keep both hands on the bars.

I dd what you see there.
    In general:
    I ALWAYS give a head-nod and a quick Hey or Hi. However they're usually more animated ON THE OUTBOUND stage when I still have energy. lol

However, I died on my ride yesterday. I normally fill my camelbak for trips. I only had it about 3/4 full yesterday. It was a nice 5K "city"/rail trail then 20K of country rail trail then a 5k hilly country road ride to get to a park (where I turnaround) to wonder why I never packed anything to eat. Especially considering all I had to eat before the ride was a donut and a coffee. On the return trip I discovered that although minor, it was INTO the wind. When I got back into the "city" I was able to crawl into a store and get a chocolate bar into me. After resting for 15 mins, I was able to resume riding only to get to an uphill portion where when shifting to my easiest gear (because I had minimal energy to begin with) my rear der. cable snapped, defaulting to the 11 tooth ring. for the final portion of the "city ride" home (lucky for me the police weren't waiting at any of the stop signs I refused to stop at.)

Suffice to say, my head down, non waving nor speaking ignorance of other riders by that point was NOT personal....
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Broken but on the mend
    this thread is awesome but..... roadies still suck! so stuck up all the time. i think its because their cloths are to tight. i would be pissed to if i had to wear that crap so i could pretend to go fast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mzorich View Post
    this thread is awesome but..... roadies still suck! so stuck up all the time. i think its because their cloths are to tight. i would be pissed to if i had to wear that crap so i could pretend to go fast
    Hahaha. Really?

I really wonder what it must be like to go through life so incredibly narrow-minded.

Broken but on the mend
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    Hahaha. Really?

I really wonder what it must be like to go through life so incredibly narrow-minded.
    the town i grew up in was full of this type of roadie. people with to much money road bikes that cost 10g and these people were all stuck up pretentious a**holes. i have ridden road bikes and they are no fun. they are not comfortable and no fun is to be had on them

Broken but on the mend
    in my opnion thats fact.

mtbr member
    the town i grew up in was full of this type of roadie. people with to much money road bikes that cost 10g and these people were all stuck up pretentious a**holes.
    That type of roadie =/= every roadie out there, bro.

i have ridden road bikes and they are no fun. they are not comfortable and no fun is to be had on them
    You seem to be finding it difficult to distinguish between opinion and fact.

mtbr member
    in my opnion thats fact.
    Cool, bro. Too cool.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    the town i grew up in was full of this type of roadie. people with to much money road bikes that cost 10g and these people were all stuck up pretentious a**holes. i have ridden road bikes and they are no fun. they are not comfortable and no fun is to be had on them
    I'm thankful for these people. They put nice bikes on the secondhand market, so that I can actually afford them.

And if your road bike isn't comfortable, you're doing it wrong.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik1245 View Post
    And if your road bike isn't comfortable, you're doing it wrong.
    ^^^^This. Get fitted if you can't get comfortable. Slap a Brooks or other comfortable saddle on if you need to. Flat bar road bikes are fine if you don't like drops (still a road bike).

Then ride the roads the way you want to -- you don't ride a pace line or train for races. Explore the country side, ride to a cafe, get a backpack and/or rack and bring a telescoping fishing rod and go fishing. There's no reason to think that road bikes are "no fun".

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nenbran View Post
    Hahaha. Really?

I'm not going to give him credit for having a mind of any width.

Sweep the leg!
    in my opnion thats fact.
    Thanks for staying on the downhills. It leaves room for us on the trails and roads.

Broken but on the mend
    look at that the roadies got all butthurt and took away my rep. see thats exactly why you guys are snobbish. if someone doesn't like road bikes you guys get all worked up.

and caffeine powered i ride my trail bike more then i ride my dh bike. i never said i don't like cross county and trail riding. i just don't like road bikes. i think its a skilless form of bike riding and all you need to be good at it is some endurance. if i am going to go for an endurance ride i prefer it on a trail where i can have a little fun, maybe jump off a few rocks.

Sweep the leg!
    i just don't like road bikes. i think its a skill-less form of bike riding and all you need to be good at it is some endurance.
    That's what you think? Obviously you're never ridden a road bike any faster than 20 mph. It's guys like you that crash like this...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t5PZfEDnvzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    look at that the roadies got all butthurt and took away my rep. see thats exactly why you guys are snobbish. if someone doesn't like road bikes you guys get all worked up.

and caffeine powered i ride my trail bike more then i ride my dh bike. i never said i don't like cross county and trail riding. i just don't like road bikes. i think its a skilless form of bike riding and all you need to be good at it is some endurance. if i am going to go for an endurance ride i prefer it on a trail where i can have a little fun, maybe jump off a few rocks.
    Wrong again.

1. You expressed your opinion like a tool. Like one of those useless ones, too, like a 1.5mm Allen key.

2. Most roadies are pretty cool. I race with a bunch of guys who also race mountain bikes, and one of the guys on my team races on a converted 'cross bike with a road crank and a mtb helmet. That said, you get ******bags in every sport. Cycling is no exception.

3. If you think road riding takes no skill, you've obviously never ridden in a pack or a tight race.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

in my opnion thats fact.
    Circular logic is circular.

I think that there's all types of people that ride all types of bikes and do or don't nod/wave/blow kisses for all types of reasons. What you prefer is you and we needn't get bent out of shape if your particular style isn't someone else's.

Broken but on the mend
    at tight pack does not require skills on a bike it requires concentration and thats it. please enlighten me on what skills not hitting the rider in front of you takes

Sweep the leg!
    at tight pack does not require skills on a bike it requires concentration and thats it. please enlighten me on what skills not hitting the rider in front of you takes
    Right. Have you ever participated in a road race or crit? It's a contact sport even without crashing. There's no concentration involved. If you concentrate on an object you're guaranteed to follow or hit that object. Being able to bunny hop over a bike is surely a skill. Being in a part of the pack not involved in the crash is definitely a skill. As a XC Cat 1 and Road 2 I crash mush less than the 4's do, but at our level there's more leaning and shoving that happens without anyone getting their undies in a bunch.

I'd love to take you to a training crit in your area and see if you think there's no skill involved in riding on the road afterword. You'd need those skills too since I suspect you'll be at the back of the pack begging for mercy.

Broken but on the mend
    yes on my knees begging for your mercy. still though all of that you said nothing that even correlates to having skills on a bike. i already said road riding is about endurance and i never claimed to have any. and i actually go on road rides 1 or 2 times a month when i am not deployed seeing as how my crossfit trainer loves them we tend to do them a few time a month. still not going to agree that roadies don't suck and most of them are pompous a**holes who don't know how to properly ride a bike. i will even say a lot of the hardcore xc guys don't know how to ride a bike. they are more focused on heart rates and new bike set ups to even enjoy some good single track

Sweep the leg!
    yes on my knees begging for your mercy.

Log off the computer and go ride.

Broken but on the mend
    i would love to ride but i am currently living in a shithole country is southwest asia deployed for another month. but when i get home thats the first thing i am doing since i have a brand new stumpy eve waiting for me

mtbr member
    Speaking as someone who has been deployed to SW Asia as well, I hope you don't display this same ignorance in theater. Best to you, return well.

AZ
    banned
    i would love to ride but i am currently living in a shithole country is southwest asia deployed for another month. but when i get home thats the first thing i am doing since i have a brand new stumpy eve waiting for me

Couldn't you do us a solid and stay there for another ten or twenty years?

Sweep the leg!
    Couldn't you do us a solid and stay there for another ten or twenty years?
    I vote to send him to Sri Lanka.

Red October
    ...that's because they are "in the zone". So they cannot be distracted

Likewise, I run into some mountain bikers on the trail whom are the same way.
    I never, ever wave to people who use the word "Whom", especially those who use it incorrectly. I can always pick them out of a group and I say to that group "you're cool, you're cool, you're cool, f*ck you, you're cool, and you're cool.

Last edited by mellowdave; 02-17-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me ig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0