Road rider attitude?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Road rider attitude?

What is it about road riders (at least many I've encountered) that make them so snobbish toward mt bikers? I ride my mt bike on the road often to get to the local trails. A couple weeks ago I was riding on the road & saw 3 road riders coming in my direction. I blatantly waved and said "Hi, how you guys doing?" They looked right at me and just kept on pedaling while talking amongst themselves. About a week ago I ran into another road guy who was cruising slowly on the opposite side of the 2 lane road I was on. I looked dead at him and said "hi, how are you?" no response from Mr. elite roady. I yelled back at him, "so you are too cool to say hi?" Only then, did he respond and waved politely. This type of thing happens alot. I mean we are all riding because we love it, right? I just don't get it. When I run into other mt. bike riders They are quick to wave or at least acknowledge me when I greet or wave to them. Of course there are always exceptions, but this seems to be rare. Anybody else experience this?

mtbr member
    I consider myself overly polite but I've noticed when I'm out running or grinding on a road bike I get very focused and less concerned about those around me. Not attempting to be a snob just focused. Don't take it as disrespect.

Rabid Lana Fan
    It's because our big, knobbied tires and our loosely fitting, "flapping in the breeze" attire is just.......uncivilized.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

mtbr member
    I remember when people is sports cars (especially when in the same make & model) used to wave to each other. People don't do that any more either.

mtbr member
    Remember, roadies suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning and is a direct affect on the "howdy" gene! Plus all that shaving has raised their estrogen levels and get all B!tchy..
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    .double post
    Last edited by jacklikesbeans; 11-13-2014 at 12:42 PM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
    Remember, roadies suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning and is a direct affect on the "howdy" gene! Plus all that shaving has raised their estrogen levels and get all B!tchy..
    I'm not even going to lie. After a good road ride I've noticed that the next day I just want to spend crying and my man breast grow.

nvphatty
    being both roadie & mtb'r i've encountered it albeit rare in either realm. Snobbery exists in our everyday lives regardless of said topic unfortunately.

mtbr member
    You probably come across as a little too "friendly", or maybe it's that crybaby jersey you wear, or that clunker you're riding. I wouldn't wave at you either....

FYI - it can be a pain in the ass to let go of the bar on a road bike. if the pavement is rough, or speed, cars, etc.... and, I'm not saying anything to you, unless I pass you from behind... and only if I have the breath to do it. I'll always give a head nod, or a raised finger, but you gotta be looking for it. If you're extremely lucky I'll give you the low five, but not often.

Sometimes, I'm just tired, at the end of a 50 mile ride, and don't care.

Don't take it so personal, no one's looking down at you because you're on a mtb..... as a lot of those guys will also see you on the trail too...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliScott View Post
    I mean we are all riding because we love it, right?
    Why does this mean they should wave to you?

It isn't because you're on a mountain bike or anything else. I wouldn't wave to you if you were on a top of the line road bike, either. For what its worth, I don't wave at other mountain bikers, either, unless I know them or something.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

High Desert MTBer
    I believe there is no smoke without fire, there certainly is an element of some road guys looking down their noses. Those guys that have all the gear, tight fitting spandex from teams they are not members of, who often assume a haughty air when confronted by a cheerful, long haired, crusty MTBer who passes them up the hill here on the way to the trails...

When I was catapulted over my bars from the trail alongside the road into the roadway a few weeks ago, and injured myself quite badly, 2 roadies cycled around me without even a nod as I sprawled in the road. I don't think they were too involved in their riding to have not noticed me... When I was trying to flag down a passing car to ask for a second pair of pliers to repair my back wheel a month or so ago, a car with a couple of road bikes on the back just drove right around me and did not even slow down... Thanks for absolutely nothing my good friends!

Maybe I just look hostile?!?
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    I guess some people don't ride their bikes to socialize. People can be off in their own world when cycling. Someone else stated above that they can be focused when out riding too so that plays a factor. I don't go out of my way to wave and greet people unless we make eye contact or they acknowledge me first.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Why does this mean they should wave to you?

It isn't because you're on a mountain bike or anything else. I wouldn't wave to you if you were on a top of the line road bike, either. For what its worth, I don't wave at other mountain bikers, either, unless I know them or something.
    or something equates to what exactly?

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    yea thats it, hostile.

mtbr member
    don't mess with the spandex&strava cocktail, op. it is served on pavement and on dirt. let it go and beer yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok, I was expecting the, 'focusing on riding excuse', but these guys were cruising under 15 mph casually riding. I ride a Santa Cruz Heckler. Its an '06, but a sweet ride nonetheless IMO.

I didn't do it
    I believe there is no smoke without fire, there certainly is an element of some road guys looking down their noses. Those guys that have all the gear, tight fitting spandex from teams they are not members of, who often assume a haughty air when confronted by a cheerful, long haired, crusty MTBer who passes them up the hill here on the way to the trails...

When I was catapulted over my bars from the trail alongside the road into the roadway a few weeks ago, and injured myself quite badly, 2 roadies cycled around me without even a nod as I sprawled in the road. I don't think they were too involved in their riding to have not noticed me... When I was trying to flag down a passing car to ask for a second pair of pliers to repair my back wheel a month or so ago, a car with a couple of road bikes on the back just drove right around me and did not even slow down... Thanks for absolutely nothing my good friends!

That reminds me, hows the groin coming along?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    or something equates to what exactly?
    I dunno ... attractive females maybe?

Or maybe it is just a figure of speech. Either way.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Ahhhh, the dreaded "wave vacuum". It's not just limited to Roadies, it is indicative of society as a whole.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    That reminds me, hows the groin coming along?
    Groin good thanks Mook! Fully operational I am happy to say
    It's all Here. Now.

I didn't do it
    Groin good thanks Mook! Fully operational I am happy to say
    Whoo hoo! Happy days are here again.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I am a friendly mountain biker when I roll on dirt AND a snooty road biker when I roll on pavement.

Basically, roadies are in a bad mood because cars, trucks, motos, walkers, joggers, mtn bikers, and the police are rolling on THEIR ROADS which means that everyone is in their way. Pretty simple...

gobsmacked Moderator
    Maybe put some clothes on next time.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Maybe put some clothes on next time.
    Now I was thinking the opposite... That they've got serious crotch envy.
    Accustomed to their roadie bro's all advertising the same miniature junk show then here comes Mr. Baggy pants
    with a regular package, and bamm.. suddenly they feel so small, and inadequate. It's no wave for you!

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Roadies may gave more on their mind to realize that they're being rude asshats.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

EMBA Member
    Mountain bikers are scary and unpredictable. I thought everyone knew that?

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    Mountain bikers are scary and unpredictable. I thought everyone knew that?
    So then road bikers are predictably snobby and snooty? Must be, because EVERYONE knows that.

9 lives
    I always try and acknowledge other cyclists, on the road or on the trail with a small wave, a smile or just a nod. I'm just being polite. It doesn't happen often but the odd cyclist does not respond. It doesn't bother me if they ignore me.

I just try not to be this guy

I started running this summer and I find myself nodding and smiling at other runners. I get the same response rate. Most runners nod wave or smile back. So I figure it's a personal thing
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

I didn't do it
    I usually flash a wave and give a howdy.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Rogue Exterminator
    Oh look, another 'boohoo they didn't wave back at me' thread.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I always try and acknowledge other cyclists, on the road or on the trail with a small wave, a smile or just a nod. I'm just being polite. It doesn't happen often but the odd cyclist does not respond. It doesn't bother me if they ignore me.

I just try not to be this guy

deep down me thinks you relish the opportunity to 'be that guy'

Pipe Dreamer
    I usually give roadies the bird, and I dont care if they return the gesture or not
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I flash this to fellow mtn bikers as I pass by them on the trails.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I usually give roadies the bird, and I dont care if they return the gesture or not
    so that was you the other day huh? i tried to reply in kind but i endoed with a face plant thanks to you.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I flash this to everyone when I'm rolling on my roadie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road rider attitude?-721.jpg  

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I flash this to fellow mtn bikers as I pass by them on the trails.
    me don't think you have the dexterity for such shenannigans.

Pipe Dreamer
    so that was you the other day huh? i tried to reply in kind but i endoed with a face plant thanks to you.
    Nope, wasn't me...musta been someone else flippin' you off

Yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto No Ben View Post
    I guess some people don't ride their bikes to socialize. People can be off in their own world when cycling. Someone else stated above that they can be focused when out riding too so that plays a factor.
    Yep. I've watched the roadie numbers grow for 30 years, and remember when almost every roadie you saw was there out of passion, could be found participating in most of the local bike tours, and would be remiss to fail to acknowledge anyone on any kind of bike, kids included.

Remember the fitness craze of the late 70's and early 80's? Biking was part of that movement, but I suspect due to cost, it lagged behind by a decade and grew a lot more slowly, as that's how the roadie scene here evolved.

In the present, I rarely see this behaviour from local club members or people that I know are passionate about cycling, but I do see the behaviour a lot, mostly people I do not recognize. I presume there are a lot of riders now that are not passionate about cycling, for them it is a means to an end (fitness) and no more. Someone with that type of mindset is not going to care about other cyclists, and I presume a wave from a "fellow" cyclist would be received the same as a wave from a "fellow" driver.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Lazy Overachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Oh look, another 'boohoo they didn't wave back at me' thread.
    Subscribed

9 lives
    deep down me thinks you relish the opportunity to 'be that guy'
    Name:  waving-hi-text-smiley-emoticon.gif
Views: 203
Size:  4.6 KB
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    I can just picture the OP driving to work in the morning, waving to every motorist.

mtbr member
    I ride my mtn bike on the road, as well as my roadie (of course). Sometimes I wave, other times I don't. Depends on my mood and my head at the time.

I used to get miffed at the non-friendlies and then decided I could give 2 balls. As I age and become wiser (so they say), I've learned to not give a sh*t anymore about certain things, and have accepted my own flaws, neigh, even embraced them as my own. Not being friendly 100% of the time is one of them.
    I've been on pause, but I'm shaking off the rust...

Ride More, Work Less

Road rider attitude?

This is a case of first world problems. Boo hoo, some total stranger won't acknowledge my presence.

For the record, I never wave to other cyclists--road or mtb. Frankly, I don't see many people waving on a bike. Instead, I will give a head nod almost always or say something pleasant if I'm passing them.

The above analogy at waving at every car that passes is good. Just get on with what you need to do and don't expect everyone's actions to revolve around your universe. Oh wait, now I'm sounding like a snobbish roadie.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

High Desert MTBer
    Bah Humbug! The 'waving at other cars' analogy is silly. People on bikes are doing something a little more special, at least I like to think so, and an acknowledgement of others doing the same is a good thing to my mind. As a lifelong motorcyclist too, I do the same while riding with other bikers, only most of the others who do not wave on MCs are Harley riders. D**kheads the lot of 'em! I think most Harley riders now are such poor riders they dare not take a hand from the bars. (Cue Harley rider backlash...)
    It's all Here. Now.

I feed hamburgers to cows
    Ex-roadie here, I always nodded to acknowledge other riders on the road, but sometimes I would be too focused on pedaling or in my own thoughts to notice others. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal.
    Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    It's because the fantasy of road riding does not equal the reality of road riding. They simply are not having any fun. Also while they are riding they are constantly be reminded of how much money they spent and it puts them in a bad mood. Plus their nuts hurt.

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    It's because the fantasy of road riding does not equal the reality of road riding. They simply are not having any fun. Also while they are riding they are constantly be reminded of how much money they spent and it puts them in a bad mood. Plus their nuts hurt.
    So if you have your nuts snipped off is that one less thing to be grumpy about?

High Desert MTBer
    So if you have your nuts snipped off is that one less thing to be grumpy about?
    Not really: NO Nuts = NO children = MORE money = MORE expensive gear = MORE grumpy

The equation does not work if that's why you snip ze nuts...
    It's all Here. Now.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Ex-roadie here, I always nodded to acknowledge other riders on the road, but sometimes I would be too focused on pedaling or in my own thoughts to notice others. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal.
    It's not.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I kind of like passing by the occasional a$shole, it makes me feel good to see someone who is a bigger jerk than me.

Seriously though, who cares? People are d!cks but so is everybody in their own way.

banned
    Sep 2010
    It'a a roadie culture thing. IF you are kitted up and you are riding the "right" bike, you get the "nod". If you are riding pavement on your mtb, most likely you won't, but sometimes you will.

The most important thing to remember, OP, is that you should NEVER take anything like that personally. It has far less to do with you, and much more to do with them. It's actually their problem if they deliberately ignore another friendly human being on a bicycle.

I ride my 29er on pavement a lot, on my way to the trails I ride. I pay more attention to the mentally ill homeless who are agitated by my lights than I do to other roadies. Roadies ain't gonna throw something at you. Mentally ill homeless people just might.

We live in a society that has decided once again that the mentally ill don't deserve to live, so they are cast adrift on the streets , where they share their suffering in various ways. One is open aggressive hostility. Dealing with and avoiding these untreated wretches is just part of the price we pay for collectively decided that an entire segment of our population is defective, and as such, is nothing but 'garbage'.

So really, OP, don't sweat the small stuff. Roadies are not gonna throw a bottle at you. Unless theyr'e nuts.

Moderator Moderator
    I ride both and often see both on my rides. I usually give the two finger handlebar wave or nod in passing and almost always get similar in return. Maybe I live in a cycling utopia? Maybe the only people who give me the excited parade float wave while riding tend to be younger than 3? I always return those...

I know many who just ride mountain bikes, but all the roadies I know also ride mtb's, in fact they aren't one or the other, simply cyclists.

Runners on the other hand are almost always the pivot point upon which the universe revolves. It's the earbuds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I believe that someone geared up and riding a 'real' bike should be considered a fellow cyclist. I have seen it with mt bikers also, but not as often. I ride a dual sport motorcycle. When I see a fellow biker, I ALWAYS get the upside down peace sign signal. It doesn't matter if you ride a Harley, sport bike, dual sport, or even a scooter! I've seen it many times. I would rather not be part of a group of inconsiderate cyclists that somehow think they are better than you because they rider a $5K bike. I used to ride my mtb with guys that had the best (at the time) Dean ti and Klein Adroits, etc... They would get to the top of the climb first, then at the end of the downhill, would ask me "where did you go"? They lost site of me on the downhill because I smoked 'em and I was a dot and they couldnt even see me. It's not (always) about the bike.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I see a lot of bashing of dudes who ride "$5k" bikes on forums but never really get that vibe from folks who ride these bikes while I am actually out at the trails. Diarrhea of the mouth (via keyboard) with hasty generalizations makes you look pretty lame. Just sayin

I didn't do it
    When I'm out posing in the parking lot I'm usually pretty friendly to the other posers.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway View Post
    I see a lot of bashing of dudes who ride "$5k" bikes on forums but never really get that vibe from folks who ride these bikes while I am actually out at the trails. Diarrhea of the mouth (via keyboard) with hasty generalizations makes you look pretty lame. Just sayin
    Well gordon, maybe it was different when I started in 1989. Also I did specify A GROUP I USED TO RIDE WITH THAT DID IT. To me, that is not a vague generalization. Can you tell me where in my post did I "bash" someone? You are the only one that said I "bashed" someone. Apparently you "bashed" me for no reason saying "I look pretty lame". So who is the basher here? Obviously you like to stir things up, to each his own. Sorry if I offended you so easily. I'm making the point that even with their $5k bikes (actually they were more like $2k bikes back in the early 90's) I could smoke these guys on my Zaskar.

I didn't do it
    Well gordon, maybe it was different when I started in 1989. Also I did specify A GROUP I USED TO RIDE WITH THAT DID IT. To me, that is not a vague generalization. Can you tell me where in my post did I "bash" someone? You are the only one that said I "bashed" someone. Apparently you "bashed" me for no reason saying "I look pretty lame". So who is the basher here? Obviously you like to stir things up, to each his own. Sorry if I offended you so easily. I'm making the point that even with their $5k bikes I could smoke these guys on my Zaskar.
    I think you're the one easily offended in this thread.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

banned
    Sep 2012
    My point is that I often see comments about riders who have expensive bikes "somehow think they are better than you" and I don't really see that with my own eyes. This whole thing about not getting a wave or recognition from other riders is silly in itself. Since this topic is about bikes perhaps the mods should move it to the passion forum. Seems fit for that place.

mtbr member
    When I'm out posing in the parking lot I'm usually pretty friendly to the other posers.

In the case of riding upon a hot gurl, then a friendly nod is the least I will muster. As a result, they particularly become fascinated by my supper-Gucci rig.

Lazy Overachiever
    Well gordon, maybe it was different when I started in 1989. Also I did specify A GROUP I USED TO RIDE WITH THAT DID IT. To me, that is not a vague generalization. Can you tell me where in my post did I "bash" someone? You are the only one that said I "bashed" someone. Apparently you "bashed" me for no reason saying "I look pretty lame". So who is the basher here? Obviously you like to stir things up, to each his own. Sorry if I offended you so easily. I'm making the point that even with their $5k bikes I could smoke these guys on my Zaskar.
    So this thread is less about how roadies are uptight pricks on $5k bikes, and more about how you are a downhill hero, regardless of the equipment......oh, you also have been riding since 1989.

#wavergate

Because, winter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ok understood. Thing is if I wave to someone or say hi while walking down the street and they blatantly ignore me, for some reason I consider that kinda rude. Maybe it's just me. I don't know/care if they think they are better than me, I still don't get why people can't just be considerate. If I see another biker, I think 'hey cool he's out riding too', so my reaction is to say hi or wave. I do sometimes get a wave back, or even first, but very seldom with the roadies. I'm gonna keep my 'old school' attitude and continue to be polite to people, even if I decide to drop some cash on a sweet road bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by evenflo View Post
    So this thread is less about how roadies are uptight pricks on $5k bikes, and more about how you are a downhill hero, regardless of the equipment......oh, you also have been riding since 1989.

#wavergate

Because, winter.
    That's what you got out of it? Thats a pretty myopic view of my original post. I merely was stating that just because rider A. has a $5k bike & rider B. has a $1000 bike, does not give rider A. the right to be an ass and ignore other cyclists. If you walk into a bike shop and say 'hi how you doing?' and the person you are addressing is looking right at you & ignores you, is that not rude? I'm trying make this as easy as possible for you.

El Gato Malo
    Mar 2009
    The thread is beginning to smell a bit trollish.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think you're the one easily offended in this thread.
    Like I said, I just treat people riding bikes the same way I treat people anywhere else. I'm not really offended by it, I was just asking for some reasons as to why this seems to be so common. The roadie culture was a decent response, a few seemed to get upset and kinda jump on me. I guess I have some idea now of what I should or shouldn't say. Thanks for setting me straight guys!

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    In the case of riding upon a hot gurl, then a friendly nod is the least I will muster. As a result, they particularly become fascinated by my supper-Gucci rig.
    Haha, that will do it every time.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Love it man! Haha!

Ride More, Work Less

Road rider attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by Wishful Tomcat View Post
    The thread is beginning to smell a bit trollish.
    This. Class a troll, but a troll nonetheless.

I'm a bit curious why the op has his panties (socks?) in a bind about a 5k road bike. Since when did hatred start towards a soul riding mid level gear? Now if he said 10k -15k road bike, he might have a point, but 5k?

Rabid Lana Fan
    Lana Del Rey vs. Eminem.

Rumor has it they are going to meet up out behind the Grammy's this year, and duke it out.

Smart money is on Lana, taking out Slim Shady with an uppercut to the bottom of the jaw. Two hits...Lana hits Marshall, Marshall hits the ground.

What does this have to do with roadie culture? Absolutely nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road rider attitude?-lm.jpg  

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

GONE
    Nov 2008
    I'll take Lana in 2 rounds and I will throw in an XLG cheese pizza.
    Last edited by Hawgzilla; 11-14-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Lazy Overachiever
    That's what you got out of it? Thats a pretty myopic view of my original post. I merely was stating that just because rider A. has a $5k bike & rider B. has a $1000 bike, does not give rider A. the right to be an ass and ignore other cyclists. If you walk into a bike shop and say 'hi how you doing?' and the person you are addressing is looking right at you & ignores you, is that not rude? I'm trying make this as easy as possible for you.
    Well, this is fun.

In your post that I quoted, yes.

Everyone in this world has the right to be an ass, no prerequisites needed thankfully.

Thanks, but I got this.

Fun with colors

Last edited by evenflo; 11-14-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: bored

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Lana Del Rey vs. Eminem.

Rumor has it they are going to meet up out behind the Grammy's this year, and duke it out.

Smart money is on Lana, taking out Slim Shady with an uppercut to the bottom of the jaw. Two hits...Lana hits Marshall, Marshall hits the ground.
    If they meet backstage that would be TV ratings gold.
    Let's get ready to ruuuuuumble! I just hope his entourage of homies don't jump in.

True but far, far more interesting.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

Ride More, Work Less

Road rider attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Lana Del Rey vs. Eminem.

M&M gets stage fright according to his movie 8 mile. As a result, I bet Lana will eat him up in the ring. 1 round b/c candy coated boy has a pretty thin shell and would melt in her mouth.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good Gawd, what has the world come to? People always trying to bully me into waving back to them. Hell, I don't even wave to children. Waving is too much trouble. Especially when I'm bent over into my drop bars. And quit looking me in the eye too.

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Good Gawd, what has the world come to? People always trying to bully me into waving back to them. Hell, I don't even wave to children. Waving is too much trouble. Especially when I'm bent over into my drop bars. And quit looking me in the eye too.
    I think they're looking to see if ya got any nuts...

My money's on Lana...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think they're looking to see if ya got any nuts...
    I let my spandex do all the waving.

nvphatty
    pics?

GONE
    Nov 2008
    Only guys with smallish packages can wear spandex.

CDK
    mtbr member
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wx2e9jSSK6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am one of those way too nice people that says hi to everyone on trails bikers and hikers. I have notice that the all spandex clad folk are more the not as friendly type than others. I try and not think much about it though. I really couldn't care less if they want to wave back or say hi

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That would explain why nobody thinks I'm waving back to them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    When I ride on the road I hardly ever get off the saddle and I get a wedgie which makes me cranky.

mtbr member
    This thread is as redundant as the bi-yearly "which is the best tire/trainer" threads.

So what are you trying to say...
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

EMBA Member
    They make spandex for guys with largeish packages. But you would already know that if you needed them.

Road rider attitude?-spandex.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    They make spandex for guys with largeish packages. But you would already know that if you needed them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spandex.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	939138
    Wow, thanks! I've been looking for something like this since I was 12 years old! I realize that the roadie 'snob' thing, has a lot to do with separation. Camelbak, lowly mt biker. Visor, baggies, I know, all are indicative of a mt biker. All good, when I first started riding, I looked at road riders as guys who couldn't handle gnarly off-road terrain. As I got older, I got into some longer distance, less gnarly rides & learned to appreciate the benefits of longer/smoother rides and even road riding. I am cool with "separating" "true" roadies from mt bikers. I am also aware that separation leads to segregation, and can lead to discrimination. So even when I am at the age when all I CAN ride is a beautiful carbon fiber, beryllium, or whatever unobtanium road bike is available when I reach that INEVITABLE age, I will treat people with the same respect that I would with a neighbor walking down the street. Just a little deep thinking, no offense to mt bikers, road bikers or even bmx'ers, lol. You guys all rock! Thanks for all the awesome responses. May you all have a Happy & Safe Thanksgiving. God Bless!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Road rider attitude?

I yelled back at him, "so you are too cool to say hi?"
    Get over yourself. You're not owed hand waves and responses from every cyclist that crosses your path.

Do you wave at other drivers when you're driving your car and get poo-pooed when they don't wave back? How about pedestrians when you're walking on the street?

There is nothing respectful about being entitled.

mtbr member
    Are we not missing the obvious answer to this question ladies? The reason that some roadies do not acknowledge other non-roadies is that they are d***heads!

The idea that they are too focused to notice you is garbage. If they are concentrating so much, taking in all the hazards, then they are definitely going to see you, right?! Nope, they are just ignorant b******'s!

They are not d***heads because they are riding road bikes. They were d***heads to begin with, which is why they decided to ride road bikes in the first place. They see road bike riding as the elite, pinnacle, tip of the two-wheeled tree so that's what they want to do because tossers can't bear to look up to anyone. Only looking down will do.

This is also why they buy the best bike they can afford and are always saving for a better one, why their bikes are always spotless and why they wear full tour team clothing to cycle to grandmas for tea. If they should pass another roadie who is better dressed or has a better bike it just plain ruins their whole day!

They do not wave to you, not because they are focused, but because you are nothing to them. Without a road bike or cling-film clothing you are not a cyclist. You are not on the tree they preen themselves atop of. You do not even know where the tree is. They do not wave to you because they are not very nice. If someone says hello to you and you blank them you are ignorant and rude, that's all there is to it. There is no rational or justification that lets you off the hook. Very sorry.

Disclaimer: I have roadie friends who are not like this, they are lovely people, and unfortunately there is no law that stops tossers buying mountain bikes as well. Road bikes just happen to be bigger tosser-magnets than other types of bicycle, that's all.

Pipe Dreamer
    ^^

I normally nod to every human I encounter while riding...I've even been known to nod at squirrels.

mtbr member
    +1 ^^
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I normally nod to every human I encounter while riding...I've even been known to nod at squirrels.
    Exactly. What is it with this; 'I ignore you but that doesn't make me a p***k.' Yes, it does! If someone else greets you it is common courtesy to acknowledge them in return. This has been standard practise the world over for quite a while now.

Be a self-absorbed ignoramus if you like but spare us the lame justifications for it, it's just insulting.

Incidentally, we have a four-foot high wooden bear standing by the front door. It has one arm raised as if waving. We often wave to it. When the kids were small I'd sometimes stop on the drive and refuse to continue until they waved to the bear :0)

^^

I'm the same way although the squirrel thing is a bit far fetched. Although a raccoon encounter is a whole nother story. Speaking of which I almost ran a coon over with my car just a few minutes ago.

Back on topic: I got nothing sorry.....wait Pig I like your wooden bear on the porch thing it makes a home very inviting. I bet it would even bring out the good in a roadie.

High Desert MTBer
    How do you High Five a 4 foot bear?
    It's all Here. Now.

How do you High Five a 4 foot bear?
    Very carefully and with great fortitude.

banned
    Sep 2010
    The next time a roadie refuses to acknowledge you, OP, give him the finger.

Not a subtle little adjusting-your-glasses finger, either, but a great big, in his face, finger.

After all, what's he gonna do about it? Turn around, catch up to you, and challenge you to a fist-fight?
    Have you seen the arms on those elite roadies? They're like pipe-cleaners. Twigs. Their bones, from years of road-riding, are so thin, that if they even made a strong fist, the metacarpals would likely fail in some kind of osteoporotic fracture.

So, since you are so upset by roadies not acknowledging you, don't come here to start a whine and cheese thread. Use that middle finger the way that Jesus intended you to use it!

mtbr member
    Say 'Hi... (pause) [and then add]... f#%k face' if they don't reply...

Just make sure there's a trail handy and/or they're not bigger than you, or you're packing your nun-chucks

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    ... or you're packing your nun-chucks

Do you mean these?

Road rider attitude?-1331840341_59713.jpg

Or these?

Name:  l_nunchuck.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  19.4 KB
    It's all Here. Now.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Do you mean these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1331840341_59713.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	942734

Or these?

Name:  l_nunchuck.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  19.4 KB
    Wait....aren't the upper ones Chuck-Nuns?

mtbr member
    You better wave back when Chuck says hi!!

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    You better wave back when Chuck says hi!!
    Chuck Norris doesn't talk to strangers as one glance would kill them!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post

I am one of those way too nice people that says hi to everyone on trails bikers and hikers. I have notice that the all spandex clad folk are more the not as friendly type than others. I try and not think much about it though. I really couldn't care less if they want to wave back or say hi
    I was in a pleasant mood on my road ride yesterday, and made it a point to wave to all. Roadies tended to acknowledge me prior to my initial wave, so I think that they say hi to their own more often than not.

Be that as it may, there are days when I'm not as sociable. I get it when others aren't too. No big shakes.

High Desert MTBer
    On my ride this morning I mostly was ignored by hikers... On the trail leading up to the hills behind me, I often encounter older hikers, and at this time of year, there are a lot of snowbirds. I make a point of always slowing down and saying a cheerful good morning, and I would say that 75% of them ignore me! Amazing! What a load of grouchy old codgers! They may think I am a bit weird tho, I had a heavy fleece on this morning, and a big neck warmer thing up over my mouth cos it was down in the 60s. They were mostly in shorts and tank tops...

Only passed a couple of roadies, and they ignored me too... usual stuff...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    They h8 us coz were having so much fun!

mtbr member
    On my ride this morning I mostly was ignored by hikers...
    I would feel that's an improvement. Round here they usually scowl at you.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Lots of small, needy, and overly sensitive men in this thread.

I guess your mother never thought to teach you that not everyone has to like you? People that always need approval from others are very draining to be around.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post

I guess your mother never thought to teach you that not everyone has to like you?
    Small!?

6ft...

222lbs...

Not small, thank you very much

All fat, all the time.
    I didn't read all 5 pages so sorry if it's been mentioned.

They have to deal with the cars, and lots of guys riding the road are "training" so they are focused.

On the other hand, many folks riding bikes in the woods are simply having fun, and not dealing with cars/bad drivers, so generally in a better mood and like to smile & wave & say hi...share trailside hugs, that sort of hippy stuff lol.

All fat, all the time.
    Couple weeks ago I met a group of older ladies hiking (50's to 70's??)....I was amazed, they were so dang friendly, the fat tires helped I'm sure, one of them was a MTB'er as she actually knew what a Lefty was & a fatbike (the secret is out lol)

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post

I guess your mother never thought to teach you that not everyone has to like you? People that always need approval from others are very draining to be around.
    Hmmm... this has nothing to do with seeking approval or wanting people to like us, but more about enjoying simple human connection and sharing appreciation of a similar pastime. Seems that concept is missing in many...
    It's all Here. Now.

I didn't do it
    I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it people like me. I just know they do.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and doggone it people like me. I just know they do.
    Gosh darn golly gee I know they do.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Thanks DJ, I needed that.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Remember, they ALL "think" they are elitist peloton cyclists...just because they wear team kit, shave legs and ride a TdF race bike. The strict roadies think MTBers are nothing but a bunch of hillbilly hooligans, giving cycling a bad name. I do both...but my true love is MTB, simply because of the valuable skills MTB gave me. Took two hardcore roadies to my local digs.....and spent half the day WAITING UP for them.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Thanks DJ, I needed that.
    Just to let you know my dad can't reply right now as the box caved in and he can't reach the keyboard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Couple weeks ago I met a group of older ladies hiking (50's to 70's??)....I was amazed, they were so dang friendly, the fat tires helped I'm sure, one of them was a MTB'er as she actually knew what a Lefty was & a fatbike (the secret is out lol)
    Nice! Cougars in the woods. Did you score?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Whatever you say, Stuart!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    I would feel that's an improvement. Round here they usually scowl at you.
    Around here, they often shove their carbon fiber hiking sticks into your spokes if they feel you are riding at a disrespectful speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Ray View Post
    Around here, they often shove their carbon fiber hiking sticks into your spokes if they feel you are riding at a disrespectful speed.
    Man, I hate other people!

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Man, I hate other people!
    They call it "spokin' em". They are almost alway gre-bearded Sierra Club Geezers, who have an ideological hatred towards the mere concept of a bicycle on anything other that tarmac.

Of course, when yer riding on the tarmac, it's more often than not the grey-bearded Sierra-clubbers, who attempt to run you down, in their Prius'es!

I just think they have a deep-seated hatred of bicycles in general.

Maybe it is due to some kind of childhood-trauma regarding a bike.