RIP Penn State Football- Mtbr.com
    Ride More, Work Less

RIP Penn State Football

NCAA has acted very aggressively with the football program at Penn State. I am not sure it will ever recover. For what was done, I still think the program is getting off light.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...b4W_story.html
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Perpetual Hack
    Not RIP, more like Rest in Pieces....Good.
    I think they should have cancelled ALL football related activities at Penn for 5 years, in addition to the financial penalties. The harm done to was too great. Agreed, they got off light.

michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Paper Mill Aleworks
    4 out of 5 cars in this area of the Philly burbs have Penn State stickers/paraphernalia on them, as well as many homes. I wonder how many of the fair weather fanbois will keep their "die-hard" allegiance after this mess?

...and I agree, it's the very least the program should have endured, hopefully more repercussions will follow soon.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    SMU gets the Death Penalty for paying players, and this is what Penn State gets??? Shoulda been the DP plus a few castrations - oh, my bad, the report clearly shows the administration and coach didn't have any balls.
    Will trade for some chicken.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by edley View Post
    SMU gets the Death Penalty for paying players, and this is what Penn State gets??? Shoulda been the DP plus a few castrations - oh, my bad, the report clearly shows the administration and coach didn't have any balls.
    Read about it. Most sports writers are agreeing that what they got is worse than the death penalty. With the big hit they took on scholarships (lost 20/year for 4 years) and no chance to compete in a bowl game for 4 years on top of all their current athletes eligible to transfer immediately with no sit out penalty, they will be rendered irrelevant for a decade or more.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    Read about it. Most sports writers are agreeing that what they got is worse than the death penalty. With the big hit they took on scholarships (lost 20/year for 4 years) and no chance to compete in a bowl game for 4 years on top of all their current athletes eligible to transfer immediately with no sit out penalty, they will be rendered irrelevant for a decade or more.
    And that's a fair point. But, a death by a thousand cuts just doesn't send the right message. The program will still be operational, albeit without quality players and media, and to the extent it appears in public, plays games, all the while reminding every observer of what happened there, all makes for a stronger case in my mind to shut the program down.
    Will trade for some chicken.

meow meow
    good ridance, never liked penn state anyways.

Ride More, Work Less
    I feel for the football players there. It is not like all of them can simply uproot and move to another college. Many of those slots are filled and there is something to say for team dynamics and molding into a program. Even star athletes could ride the bench a year trying to get integrated into a new team. That could kill pro prospects. I think it is for that reason that the NCAA allowed the team to still exist but opened the door for those that can move to move.

With the assumption the top talent will leave, the team will not play like a Division I team. For the players that remain, I hope the program is reclassified as a Division II school to help protect the players from injury. Running backs and quarterbacks could be slaughtered. Defensive lineman will have the snot trap blocked out of them. It has the potential of being so ugly that even fans will be throwing in the white towels.

I also feel for the non-football athletes. Their world there will change as the other programs suffer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edley View Post

They will not give the death penalty because it affects too many other people who were not involved. It affects all of the schools on Penn state's schedule which would have to re-schedule games, lose tons of money, etc.

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I feel for the football players there. It is not like all of them can simply uproot and move to another college. Many of those slots are filled and there is something to say for team dynamics and molding into a program. Even star athletes could ride the bench a year trying to get integrated into a new team. That could kill pro prospects. I think it is for that reason that the NCAA allowed the team to still exist but opened the door for those that can move to move.

With the assumption the top talent will leave, the team will not play like a Division I team. For the players that remain, I hope the program is reclassified as a Division II school to help protect the players from injury. Running backs and quarterbacks could be slaughtered. Defensive lineman will have the snot trap blocked out of them. It has the potential of being so ugly that even fans will be throwing in the white towels.

I also feel for the non-football athletes. Their world there will change as the other programs suffer.

It's a real shame what the students/players are going endure in the coming years.
    Hopefully the school can focus itself away from the "football mill" mentality, and regain focus so academics to flounder too much.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It will be devastating for the economy of that area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PdlPwr View Post
    It will be devastating for the economy of that area.
    Yeah...the economy. That's what matters, not the number of guys molested and raped, they come 2nd.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    Yeah...the economy. That's what matters, not the number of guys molested and raped, they come 2nd.
    That's a stretch.

Nobody's belittling the fact that there were heinous acts perpetrated by a Penn State employee. You guys are most likely on the same page. The problem is that there is collateral damage with any punitive action. A serial killer's family loses their breadwinner when he's sentenced to death (to throw out an extreme example).

Life Is Short
    It was sad watching them hauling away Joe Paterno's statute. By him not saying anything
    and turning a blind eye, that's what old school men & women did of his generation. No telling
    how many other old school coaches in the past did the same.

I'm old school too. Not a big fan of political correctness to the extreme. But Joe! Turning a
    blind eye for a season may be tolerated by some old school coaches, but ongoing since 1997?!!!

C'mon Joe I know you're rolling in your grave about being stripped of 111 wins but you deserved it.
    Its like tolerating someone on your staff with a drug problem since 1997 and not doing
    anything about it. You should have done the right thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

tl1
    Bicyclist
    NCAA did pretty good here. I hope it sends a message to all the other colleges harboring criminals and covering up their deeds in the quest for football wins. I'm not confident it will but at least under the current NCAA regime people know there's a chance that the revelations of whistle-blowers won't be just swept under the rug in the course of business as usual.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I think they got off light, it will definitely have a huge impact on ticket and merchandise sales for that community though.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff View Post

It's a real shame what the students/players are going endure in the coming years.
    Hopefully the school can focus itself away from the "football mill" mentality, and regain focus so academics to flounder too much.
    At least they will not have to worry about getting it in the pooper.

Members who have read this thread: 0