Redneck $h!t: was I wrong?- Mtbr.com
    NDD
    mtbr member

Redneck $h!t: was I wrong?

Ok, so I almost got arrested last night, so I'll go over the details.

My fiancee and I were headed home about 8:45 last night after I had gotten done painting her grandma's porch and foundation to her house. As we're nearing her road (still about a mile out, we're on farm roads, and this is a small town) we notice the police are chasing what appears to be a 4-wheeler down her road. As we turn onto her road, we see the guy has gotten off the 4-wheeler and supposed ran off into this field, and the cop is sitting there by the 4-wheeler.

We pull into the driveway and get into the house (now, the cop really should have seen us, because not many people drive down this road, so the rest of this just gets more ignorant). We arm the alarm, because we don't know if some druggy is gonna try to get in to ditch the cops. My fiancee is in the shower, I started some dishes, was plucking on this guitar, and I notice the dogs are barking in the garage and there are some county cops now walking towards the property. I figure I'll let the dogs in to keep them out of the way, so I disarm the alarm, which is by the back door, I get a call from her grandma and then send a text to my brother (all while standing in this room while the cops are looking around the back yard - they later said I was "pacing around"), and then I let the dogs in. I'm going to arm the alarm again, when I hear "he's in the back. OPEN THE DOOR". I open the door and they say "STOP WHAT YOU"RE DOING" which spooked me because I thought we were gonna chat or something, so I accidentally closed the door and stood there (stupid, I know). They say "GET ON THE GROUND AND OPEN THE DOOR", so I asked if they really wanted it open because last time they told me to stop. I open the door from the ground and they rush in and I'm immediately handcuffed.

They pull me outside and read me my rights, and say they're going to ask questions. The following leads me to believe they just wanted to arrest anybody.

cop x: why did you run off that 4-wheeler.

me: I wasn't on any 4-wheeler, me and my fiancee watched them pull that guy over as we got in the driveway.

cop x: don't lie to me, I don't have all night for this BS.

me: I'm not lying, I want this to be as easy as possible, but I haven't ridden a 4-wheeler in probably at least a year and a half.

cop x: WHY DO YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR PANTS

me: That's red paint.

cop x: WHY DO YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR SHIRT

me: that's the same red paint. It's dark terra cotta.

cop x: why did my dog lead us right to your house?

me: maybe whoever ran off the 4-wheeler ran by the house, or maybe your dog made a mistake (apparently that's impossible?!?!)

And on and on. Anyway, they end up throwing me in the back of a cruiser.

They take me out of the cruiser to ask more details, and I tell them her grandma would attest to my belongings (which they got all bent out of shape about because she said I was wearing a blue shirt, but my shirt was red - wore a blue shirt the day before).

Anyway, they then began to tell that I was too calm, and that if I had done nothing wrong I would be raising a ruckus and telling them that. I replied that I had done nothing wrong and thought it made their lives easier and less stressful if I told them I did nothing wrong calmly. Then they said I was saying "uhm" too much (I could have called my grad advisor, he would've attested to my constant "uhmm-ing"), but I told them this is a kinda new situation for me and I was a little nervous.

They put me back in the cruiser. Came back twenty minutes later and then were telling me I knew who ran out there. I told them I didn't and if I did I would tell them, because I'd rather go inside and take a shower than be in a cruiser. They told me I was obstructing the law and put me back in the cruiser.

All in all they were about to take me to jail for 24 hours until my fiancees grandma and uncle showed up and attested on my behalf. What I want to know is, what the heck did I do wrong in dealing with them? I thought one was supposed to be calm and cool when dealing with the cops. To me it seemed like they were just a bunch of pr!cks searching for someone to get in trouble. All the county dudes were standing in a circle high fiving and laughing while I was in the cruiser. One kept telling my fiancee "your boyfriend's going to jail, lady". They were just cocky bastards who saw an easy target in someone who was not from there and was not a very imposing or forceful presence.

So, should I have been a d!ck or what?
    dang

Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post

Why not? It worked for Rodney King.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    No, you did the right thing. If you did the wrong thing, or honestly were black, you most likely would be either dead or in jail for resisting arrest. Be calm and let them do their thing.

And to Mr. Morton, even when someone flees the cops, you still can't shoot them or beat them when they are caught.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

Meatbomb
    No, you did right. Some cops are just assholes that think they already have the answer to all the questions no matter what you say.

Don't get me started on the guy that pulled me over for suspicion of DUI (his claim. I was sober) and copped a real attitude when I knew my rights and declined to take his field sobriety test.

mtbr member
    honestly not trying to start an argument or fight...

what is it that you think the cops did wrong? from their perspective, they thought you were the guy they were chasing, detained you, questioned you, and when they could verify that you weren't the guy they were looking for and didn't know anything, they let you go and left, right? they have to have somewhat of an intimidating presence or nobody would comply. they didn't rough you up or anything, right? if I were a cop, I wouldn't believe somebody the first time they say "it wasn't me".

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Remember, there is no such thing as "contempt of cop". That was pounded into my head daily while I was in the academy. But why not try to calm things down? Not being a dick gives them a reason to be nicer to you for sure. Unfortunately, some guys escalate situations when they should attempt to defuse them. He had already decided he and his cohorts were right no matter what you had to say.

Today's tactics seem to lean more to intimidate and overwhelm, when most times they would be better served to tone it down.
    Goya! It's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes. Livin in an Idiocracy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ...So, should I have been a d!ck or what?
    You did nothing wrong.

Thank goodness you are not a minority or we would be leaving condolence messages.

The problem with some cops is that they are not well trained to deal with high pressure situations. In your case, these guys had been chasing someone and adrenaline is pumping high. All logic and reasoning at that point was long gone, they just wanted to get someone, anyone.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I think you handled the situation well. Any escalation of attitudes usually turns out poorly for the accused.

Did they catch the guy on the atv on did dinner time roll around?
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Dark Meat
    Cops have a tough job. That being said, many are a little too aggressive in some situations...none of us were present, so no one can really give you a great answer. Staying calm has definetly helped me, when I was arrested. Did they ever catch the guy? What were they chasing him for?

mtbr member
    Cops need to chill out
    Round and round we go

NDD
    mtbr member
    Well I've always been told to be calm and respectful when dealing with cops and so I was both. Told them I know their job is tough and didn't want to make it harder by being rude. They told me that my calmness and compliance were basically an admission of guilt, despite having three people verify my whereabouts.

They stopped looking for the guy after I sat in the cruiser for an hour so no they didn't catch him. They all looked pissed that the city cop wouldn't take me in. He actually verified that it wasn't me he saw jump off but they wanted to arrest me anyway.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Imo cops and teachers should be the best, brightest, most trained and highest payed pillars of any highly functioning society. Instead we have what you experienced. A justice system for sale that attracts the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately, I can't see a future where things improve.

If I were in your situation, I most likely would have talked to them via cracking the door ajar very slightly untill I could safely gauge their disposition. If they were hostile I would close and lock said door. Under no circumstances whatsoever would I have said anything ANYTHING to them once you are suspect.

It's a good idea to know a lawyer. I meet and know several from the gym for example. I would definately talk to one about what happened. You have no idea what kind of nonsense this could snowball into.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    It's a good idea to know a lawyer. I meet and know several from the gym for example. I would definately talk to one about what happened. You have no idea what kind of nonsense this could snowball into.
    What do you mean What this could snowball in to? I figure they let me go, seems like they would just leave it be. Or do you mean like repeated drives by the house, random checks, etc? Or are they going to make me a suspect in some other case because they "didn't get me this time"?

Man if I find out who they were chasing on that 4 wheeler I'd like to give ten a piece if my mind. And then laugh at them because their newish Polaris 4 wheeler belongs to the state now.
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    Also their first question for me was a loaded question ("my did I jump off the 4 wheeler"). That's simply not how logic and investigation works.
    dang

mtbr member
    What do you mean What this could snowball in to? I figure they let me go, seems like they would just leave it be. Or do you mean like repeated drives by the house, random checks, etc? Or are they going to make me a suspect in some other case because they "didn't get me this time"?

Man if I find out who they were chasing on that 4 wheeler I'd like to give ten a piece if my mind. And then laugh at them because their newish Polaris 4 wheeler belongs to the state now.
    All the above sure. If any type of serious crime happens in your area especially that night, guess who's suspect #1? Not mention any number of potential charges filled due to your encounter.

mtbr member
    Imo cops and teachers should be the best, brightest, most trained and highest payed pillars of any highly functioning society. Instead we have what you experienced. A justice system for sale that attracts the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately, I can't see a future where things improve.

If I were in your situation, I most likely would have talked to them via cracking the door ajar very slightly untill I could safely gauge their disposition. If they were hostile I would close and lock said door. Under no circumstances whatsoever would I have said anything ANYTHING to them once you are suspect.

I think the fear that anybody you come in contact with could have a gun and could kill you makes them a little stressed and nervous!

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I think the fear that anybody you come in contact with could have a gun and could kill you makes them a little stressed and nervous!

Ya think? When you deal with the less than stellar members of the community almost exclusively it makes you wary. And now that a culture of targeting cops and martyring criminals has been cultivated by the bomb throwers it's only going to get worse.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'm thinking that a couple are missing the point. Is compliance and calmness admission of guilt and did anything I did warrant cuffs and the chill sesh in the cruiser?
    dang

Pipe Dreamer
    They saw you as a potential threat and they neutralized you. I don't think you could have done anything to change that.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Cycologist
    Wow, what a story. You did the right thing. They were trying to intimidate you, convince you that they knew you were guilty so you would just give up and admit you were the guy. Failing that, they were trying to provoke you into acting in a manner that they could arrest you. They had nothing on you so they were trying to force it. You gave them nothing they could act on no matter how hard they tried. Good job!
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    They saw you as a potential threat and they neutralized you. I don't think you could have done anything to change that.
    And that justifies their poor logic and lack of respect from that point on? I don't think so. When they open up questions by calling me a liar they done screwed up. When they called everyone who saw me that night a liar they were out of line. The cop who pulled the 4 wheeler guy over said it wasn't me yet they wanted to take me in. It's BS.
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan
    I don't think Korn implied he thought it was justified, he was just explaining probably why they acted like they did.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Pipe Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I don't think Korn implied he thought it was justified, he was just explaining probably why they acted like they did.
    Yup, just stating you couldn't have reacted any better than you did, they were pumped up on adrenaline and had to neutralize the possible threat before they could figure things out. I agree they were way to aggressive and could have handled the situation better.

I think Chaz nailed it.
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Wow, what a story. You did the right thing. They were trying to intimidate you, convince you that they knew you were guilty so you would just give up and admit you were the guy. Failing that, they were trying to provoke you into acting in a manner that they could arrest you. They had nothing on you so they were trying to force it. You gave them nothing they could act on no matter how hard they tried. Good job!
    Fair.

On the other hand I wonder if they would've given me the 4 wheeler after letting me out...I don't want a 4 wheeler but that is one hell of a deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yup, just stating you couldn't have reacted any better than you did, they were pumped up on adrenaline and had to neutralize the possible threat before they could figure things out. I agree they were way to aggressive and could have handled the situation better.

I think Chaz nailed it.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Ya think? When you deal with the less than stellar members of the community almost exclusively it makes you wary. And now that a culture of targeting cops and martyring criminals has been cultivated by the bomb throwers it's only going to get worse.
    Yeah, I am definitely not saying this- not a fan of the thin-vieled bigotry.

Most cops do nothing but drive around. Mind numbing and boring. A stressful job of nothing but fear of something.

The problem cops are the ones that live for confrontation and action. They have caused issues. The reputation they have within certain communities is justified.

I find cops in other countries to be much different. I the UK, they are down right friendly.

Yeah, I am definitely not saying this- not a fan of the thin-vieled bigotry.

Most cops do nothing but drive around. Mind numbing and boring. A stressful job of nothing but fear of something.

The problem cops are the ones that live for confrontation and action. They have caused issues. The reputation they have within certain communities is justified.

I find cops in other countries to be much different. I the UK, they are down right friendly.

Pragmatism is not bigotry, until you have walked in the shoes of a cop you should probably stay silent before vilifying the 770,000 cops that did their jobs today without violating anyone's civil rights or god forbid offend someone by arresting them for committing a crime.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Keep on Rockin...

Agree.

While I'm "pro-law" what happened to you sounds very not right.

It's not like they were in pursuit of a murderer or even a thief. Just some dumb kid on a quad on a dirt road. Big deal.

Im no lawyer but I'm not sure you had to open your door for them. Not sure if they had probable cause. Did they demand you open the door "or else"? Not sure that's legit.

Sounds like they maybe held you against your will without probable cause for a chicken shit reason.

Talk to a lawyer, maybe the DA, or local judge.

mtbr member
    Always always always always always plead the 5th
    My name is George. I’m unemployed and I live with my parents.
    2017 BMC Speedfox 25-622 ISO
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 40-584 ISO

Pro Crastinator
    i suggest learning how to ride that thing better so you won't get caught next time...

NDD
    mtbr member
    Thought the dudes wanted to chat at first. Crazy stuff. I mean I never went to jail, but I feel like now I'm on the radar. I'm leaving for a seasonal job tomorrow, will see if I notice surveillance when I visit over summer and come back in October.

Also feel like I got +2 life experience points. Woo?
    dang

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    I ran this past my son in law, who is a sergeant with the local sheriff dept. He says the police handled it poorly and you were in the right. He suggests filing a report through official channels. You will not receive any compensation and the officers will not be disciplined, but it appears to be a training and department policy issue. The incident needs review by management.
    Do not take anything I post seriously. I don't.

Cycologist
    Let's break it down:

cop x: why did you run off that 4-wheeler.

If you were guilty, this would leave you to believe that the cop got a good enough look at you that he already knows he has caught the right guy. If he knew he had the right guy, he probably would have just arrested you rather than asking questions.

me: I wasn't on any 4-wheeler, me and my fiancee watched them pull that guy over as we got in the driveway.
    cop x: don't lie to me, I don't have all night for this BS.

Still going with the "I know you're the guy".

me: I'm not lying, I want this to be as easy as possible, but I haven't ridden a 4-wheeler in probably at least a year and a half.
    cop x: WHY DO YOU HAVE BLOOD ON YOUR PANTS

Getting nowhere with his first tactic, he tries something else. They keep asking you questions hoping you will contradict yourself and your story will fall apart.

I can't blame you for being upset, especially with it happening in your fiancee's house.

When I lived in Philadelphia I was in my apartment one weekend and I heard a ruckus out in the parking lot. I looked out the second floor window only to have a cop point a gun at me and yell "get back!" I got back, went to the centermost point in my apartment and sat on the floor. Ended up it was a really big drug bust in the apartment next to mine; we shared a wall but had different entrances so I didn't know the people. I'm sure the police were on edge so I can understand why he pointed his gun at me when I appeared in the window but it was not a good feeling.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Once he said- Why do you have blood on your pants? He had established a reason to come in and take custody for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    In a lot of jury courts that is perceived as an admission of guilt and unfortunately is being reinforced in higher court systems. Better to say I will only speak to my lawyer or I want a lawyey to EVERYTHING they say.

I'm some what confident if NDD answered "I want a lawyer" to every interaction with these "cops" the tide would have sobered out faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Once he said- Why do you have blood on your pants? He had established a reason to come in and take custody for questioning.
    Pretty sure anybody that mistakes house paint for blood has no business carrying a badge. Like even flair at TGIF.

Maaaaan
    He (the op) should have still smelled like paint for one thing.

Cops don't like to admit it, but that kind of thing happens to often. In the mean time, someone just got away with a crime.

You said the dogs were barking and their dog led them to your home. It means the crook was probably right under their noses.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post

Cops don't like to admit it, but that kind of thing happens to often. In the mean time, someone just got away with a crime.
    The goal is not justice.

High Desert MTBer
    Next time maybe barricade yerself in and break out the cannons... that'd please 'em!
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thought the dudes wanted to chat at first. Crazy stuff. I mean I never went to jail, but I feel like now I'm on the radar. I'm leaving for a seasonal job tomorrow, will see if I notice surveillance when I visit over summer and come back in October.

Also feel like I got +2 life experience points. Woo?
    Please don't let this incident make you paranoid. The authorities will not have you under surveillance....chances are they won't even remember the interaction.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    Please don't let this incident make you paranoid. The authorities will not have you under surveillance....chances are they won't even remember the interaction.
    I hope so, but this is a small town and the only town cop gave me the whole "we're waiting for you to slip up, now, Mr. D". Could be part of the psych out, but it's a good thing I don't really need a psych out to be a good neighbor.
    dang

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Pragmatism is not bigotry, until you have walked in the shoes of a cop you should probably stay silent before vilifying the 770,000 cops that did their jobs today without violating anyone's civil rights or god forbid offend someone by arresting them for committing a crime.
    Like you vilified all the so called "stellar members of the community" that cops have to deal with? You reek of bigotry and you should just say what you mean.

And I never said all cops were bad but there are bad ones. And I have spent time with law enforcement as part of a community action program (in DC). Driving around day after day doing absolutely nothing. All of them were very nice people but there were hot heads. The fellow officers even knew it.

mtbr member
    Like you vilified all the so called "stellar members of the community" that cops have to deal with? You reek of bigotry and you should just say what you mean.

And I never said all cops were bad but there are bad ones. And I have spent time with law enforcement as part of a community action program (in DC). Driving around day after day doing absolutely nothing. All of them were very nice people but there were hot heads. The fellow officers even knew it.
    Didn't sense any bigotry from him or anyone else. But have sensed your fake liberal opinionated soapbox speech, once again. I say fake, grandstanding, showboating, because you usually don't quite understand the issue you're lecturing people about, and always make up some reason to get to the left of someone to make a stand. Liberals like you make us all look bad. Having an admiral cause doesn't make you admirable
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would have gone outside to talk to the cops before they got near you. They probably would have just talked to you. Still, you did nothing wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_joe View Post
    That is also why pleading the 5th is not an admission or assumption of guilt! By saying he is pleading the 5th, the cops could assume he is guilty and just not answering.
    You do NOT EVER have to talk to the police, as what you say COULD be used against you. It may be all circumstantial, but depending on the situation, those circumstances may make it look like you committed a crime, such as below -
    Anyway, they then began to tell that I was too calm, and that if I had done nothing wrong I would be raising a ruckus and telling them that. I replied that I had done nothing wrong and thought it made their lives easier and less stressful if I told them I did nothing wrong calmly. Then they said I was saying "uhm" too much (I could have called my grad advisor, he would've attested to my constant "uhmm-ing"), but I told them this is a kinda new situation for me and I was a little nervous.
    Sure, you may get tossed into a cruiser or put in jail. It's a necessary "flaw" in the system. However, it will get straightened out. That's the thing with our system. It's not perfect, no system will be. It is however, better than being able to be dragged from your home at night, never to be seen or heard from again, as does happen in other parts of the world.

Regardless, no, you did nothing wrong! You were put in a bad situation, but it appears in the end, everything worked out.
    "Go soothingly in the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Didn't sense any bigotry from him or anyone else. But have sensed your fake liberal opinionated soapbox speech, once again. I say fake, grandstanding, showboating, because you usually don't quite understand the issue you're lecturing people about, and always make up some reason to get to the left of someone to make a stand. Liberals like you make us all look bad. Having an admiral cause doesn't make you admirable
    And the bigot comes to the bigots defense...

It is liberal to say there are good cops and bad cops?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I suggest you go back and really read what Tiretracks wrote because you definitely missed something.

Lets get back to discussing the OPs situation. Whatever side of the political aisle you fall on, what happened to him was not right.

mtbr member
    Yeah, and feckin' useless! A few years ago I got smacked on the head with a can of Red Bull, courtesy of a ned from the next village. Called the cops, waited an hour, they did not show up. Gave them the kid's picture, name and address, they did nothing.

UK cops are like glorified social workers. The only reason the crime rate goes down is because they ignore them! If no crime number is given it's not recorded so doesn't show up on the stats. Clever eh?

One ring to mash them all
    ^When I was in Leeds last year I found the cops to be … wait, I never found any.
    Go Fact Yourself.

Real eyes realize real lies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ...It is liberal to say there are good cops and bad cops?
    It looks like some people these days have an issue acknowledging that fact. There are good cops, bad cops and poorly trained cops. Until we can have an honest conversation about this without trying to make excuses, this issue will never be solved.

And the bigot comes to the bigots defense...

It is liberal to say there are good cops and bad cops?

Wow, that's completely out of line. theMeat may be many things and may have very strong opinions but he has never made a bigoted comment here by any measure you care to use. I actually feel sorry for you.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    It looks like some people these days have an issue acknowledging that fact. There are good cops, bad cops and poorly trained cops. Until we can have an honest conversation about this without trying to make excuses, this issue will never be solved.
    There ya go!

Meatbomb
    Once they read you your rights... Stop answering questions unless your lawyer is present.

Ask why you are being detained and if they state you're not being detained then ask to be released.

Cycologist
    I hope so, but this is a small town and the only town cop gave me the whole "we're waiting for you to slip up, now, Mr. D". Could be part of the psych out, but it's a good thing I don't really need a psych out to be a good neighbor.
    I think I might have mentioned that I am a grad student at the university and a TA or whatever your teaching position is. But they may have a beef with them thar educated folks.

I would have been tempted to add "and I can't wait to get my degree and get the hell out of this hillbilly town". And "I pay taxes which means I pay your salary and as a law abiding citizen, you work for me". But that would be a bad idea.

Seriously, you would think cops would realize that they need the support of the public and when they treat average citizens bad, they are hurting themselves and their fellow cops. I understand why they started as they did but they pushed it way too far and they should have apologized at the end rather than continuing the harassment.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Once they read you your rights... Stop answering questions unless your lawyer is present.

Ask why you are being detained and if they state you're not being detained then ask to be released.
    I'm no expert but this sounds good to me. NDD, they didn't get to the point of reading you your rights, did they? I don't think they have to do that until they are actually arresting you. Anyone know what they can legally do in regards to detaining you without charging you with anything? I would imagine they are allowed to detain you for a certain amount of time for questioning but I doubt they can lock you in the back of a squad car and just leave you.

NDD
    mtbr member
    I'm no expert but this sounds good to me. NDD, they didn't get to the point of reading you your rights, did they? I don't think they have to do that until they are actually arresting you. Anyone know what they can legally do in regards to detaining you without charging you with anything? I would imagine they are allowed to detain you for a certain amount of time for questioning but I doubt they can lock you in the back of a squad car and just leave you.
    They started in with the "anything you do or say can be used against you in a court of law" before asking me any questions.

I probably should've just been silent but I thought that'd be suspicious. People talk about this myth that people in small towns are so much nicer than everywhere else. Not true in my experience. They're just as angry, cruel, and bitter as people everywhere else.
    dang

People talk about this myth that people in small towns are so much nicer than everywhere else. Not true in my experience. They're just as angry, cruel, and bitter as people everywhere else.

It's a symptom of the decline of our collective civility. As others have posted, just keep your mouth shut so that nothing you say can be construed as anything but silence. Tell them your name, provide ID if requested. Anything else should be replied to with "I wish to contact my attorney". If you truly feel that you were wronged then I would make a formal complaint, but beware the potential consequences of possible retribution. Kicking it up the hierarchy of depts. would be a good idea though, if this was a local dept. then lodge a complaint with the State Police and so on. No easy answers, good luck whatever course of action or inaction you choose.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Just admit it, you were riding the 4 wheeler.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigjunk1 View Post
    Just admit it, you were riding the 4 wheeler.
    LOL! You cheeky bastard.
    dang

mtbr member
    Once you've been Mirandized (You have the right to remain silent......) It is imperitive to remain silent. At that point, you are officially being questioned as a suspect.

If you had not been Mirandized, you were illegally detained, and they are in violation of your Constitutional rights.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Once you've been Mirandized (You have the right to remain silent......) It is imperitive to remain silent. At that point, you are officially being questioned as a suspect.

If you had not been Mirandized, you were illegally detained, and they are in violation of your Constitutional rights.
    Hmm...looking into it they didn't recite all of the Miranda Rights...specifically related to not answering questions and having an attorney.
    dang

Meatbomb
    Had a cop friend tell me once "people have the right to remain silent but very few have the ability".

Meatbomb
    Hmm...looking into it they didn't recite all of the Miranda Rights...specifically related to not answering questions and having an attorney.
    In the OP you stated "They pull me outside and read me my rights, and say they're going to ask questions" .

I doubt they would have detained you without reading them to you.. If you heard part of it then they read you all of it. Memory gets scattered when recalling a stressful situation.

Cycologist
    Yes they did. You don't have any witnesses to prove otherwise and from my understanding, a police officer's words are considered "proof". I'm not sure how your fiancée and her family would figure into that if they did witness.

They started in with the "anything you do or say can be used against you in a court of law" before asking me any questions.
    IINM that quickly follows "you are under arrest," no?

I think it's fair to ask, "am I being arrested or detained?" Best to be a little humble about it.

Unfortunately, prior to actual arrest anything you do or say -- or don't do or don't say -- may get you curb-stomped in the parking lot. A few cops probably don't give a ~(*) about what can be used against you in a court of law.
    Go Fact Yourself.

NDD
    mtbr member
    In the OP you stated "They pull me outside and read me my rights, and say they're going to ask questions" .

I doubt they would have detained you without reading them to you.. If you heard part of it then they read you all of it. Memory gets scattered when recalling a stressful situation.
    Fair.
    dang

mtbr member
    So what happened to the 4-wheeler? Did the cops confiscate it? Was it used in a robbery and that is why they were chasing the guy?

The more I think about it, I wonder what the situation would look like from the cops perspective. Guy flees on 4-wheeler. Parks next to house. Guy in house has red stains on jeans -might be blood. He might have acted aggressive to see what you would do. Your calm nature was the right thing that helped to convince him no shady business was going down.

But still, in a small town, I would do whatever it takes to get on their good side!

NDD
    mtbr member
    So what happened to the 4-wheeler? Did the cops confiscate it? Was it used in a robbery and that is why they were chasing the guy?

The more I think about it, I wonder what the situation would look like from the cops perspective. Guy flees on 4-wheeler. Parks next to house. Guy in house has red stains on jeans -might be blood. He might have acted aggressive to see what you would do. Your calm nature was the right thing that helped to convince him no shady business was going down.

But still, in a small town, I would do whatever it takes to get on their good side!
    Cops took the 4 wheeler. They were chasing the guy because he was illegally riding it on city streets. Believe me, if I were illegally riding a 4 wheeler on city streets I'd rather take the ticket than whatever the heck that was.
    dang

Rabid Lana Fan
    Just for fun, you need to borrow/rent a Polaris 4-wheeler and go buzzing by the local PD. Bonus points for running when they start holler'n at you to stop.
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

NDD
    mtbr member
    Also getting on their good side...I'ma get hella good at making cobblers.
    dang

Fart smeller
    Had a cop friend tell me once "people have the right to remain silent but very few have the ability".
    Sig-worthy.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

I was racking my brain trying to remember where I'd heard that before.

Go Fact Yourself.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Ron White, "I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability".

From, The Blue Collar Comedy tour

How NOT to do it, by Emo Phillips:

I was driving down the highway, and I’m swerving all over, coz I’m trying to change the radio, and just as I get the old one taken out I hear this traffic cop behind me, “Whee-oo, whee-oo, whee-oo!” Well, I shouldn’t make fun of his speech impediment. He asks me to walk in a straight line, so I do, then he asks me, “You call that a straight line?” Well, I should have said something clever like, “Yes.” But I was nervous and the only thing I could think of was “Well, Officer Pythagoras, the closest you’ll ever come to a straight line is if they do an electroencephalogram of your own brainwave.”
    Go Fact Yourself.

Or you can resort to the Dennis Rodman defense, deny, deny, deny.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

Cycologist
    Hey NDD, MCHB just posted a tip you might find useful in Funny Picture or Meme Thread, #4756.

Meatbomb
    "I didn't want to be drunk in public but they threw me into public"

NDD
    mtbr member
    Hey NDD, MCHB just posted a tip you might find useful in Funny Picture or Meme Thread, #4756.
    That's incredible, but maybe only because I'm drinking.
    dang

banned
    Apr 2010
    it is amazing how the boys in blue, want respect, but don't want to give it to the people.

Meatbomb
    I respect 90% of them but there are some real nazi's around here. Scottsdale is a party scene and a lot of cops pull you over for nothing expecting a DUI..Don't really blame them as almost every sports star has had one here...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Cops took the 4 wheeler. They were chasing the guy because he was illegally riding it on city streets. Believe me, if I were illegally riding a 4 wheeler on city streets I'd rather take the ticket than whatever the heck that was.
    So a guy was riding a 4-wheeler in a small town and the cops were trying to arrest him? That in itself is police brutality! Who was he going to harm, some chicken or goat?

NDD
    mtbr member
    So a guy was riding a 4-wheeler in a small town and the cops were trying to arrest him? That in itself is police brutality! Who was he going to harm, some chicken or goat?
    They were going to give him a traffic violation but wanted to arrest because of the chase. All seems way over the top dunnit?
    dang

Cycologist
    If it's a really small town, this was probably an exciting evening for Barney Fife.

mtbr member
    Hey now. Chicken and goats lives matter too
    Round and round we go

If it's a really small town, this was probably an exciting evening for Barney Fife.
    Heh. NDD could've made a great impression by stating, "I'll only talk to the one of you that has the bullet."
    Go Fact Yourself.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    I suggest you go back and really read what Tiretracks wrote because you definitely missed something.

Lets get back to discussing the OPs situation. Whatever side of the political aisle you fall on, what happened to him was not right.
    Didn't miss anything. If you take what he said with an open mind and recognize that he makes some valid real points, then you can have a conversation about it and maybe even alter someone's opinion. Win win. If you interpret what he said into something it is not. then start labeling, calling names, not recognizing the reality of the situation, and encouraging people to get defensive in response. Then it becomes more troll like, and less like a conversation. Certainly less of a conversation that's going to persuade anyone.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    This situation reminds me of my late next-door neighbour. A lovely guy, as honest and kind as the day is long, but for some reason had little time for the police.

He was a builder and one day his big trailer was stolen from outside of his workshop. Broad daylight, on a busy road and a hitch lock on it but vanish it did. He was of course very scathing of the police's efforts to recover said trailer and he never did get it back.

It must've been about six-months later, he is driving his smaller van pulling another trailer, maybe the replacement one, but he forgot to swap over the licence plate on the trailer so the plates on the trailer and the van don't match. Cops spot this and pull him over. He goes radio on the cops for wasting his time instead of catching proper crooks!

He's relating the story to me and I said "Hang on. You complained about them not getting your stolen trailer back but isn't pulling over people who have trailers that don't match the car exactly how they might catch someone who has just stolen a trailer?"

I knew a totally innocent guy who was accused of a pretty bad crime. He had it hanging over him for months until he was cleared, effected him quite badly, but it's a matter of perspective. Cops have a job to do, they need to catch bad guys, and they can't do that very well if they just beleive everyone who claims to be innocent! It's tough if we end up on the wrong side of that but it's the cost of having effective policing. Round my way the cops are useless. They act like they're afraid of upsetting anyone, including the scumbags. Would you rather have that?

Bannėd
    Quit jumping 4 wheelers and running from cops and this won't happen again. Sheesh, it's that simple!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    That's more than Catfish would do.

Fart smeller
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    How NOT to do it, by Emo Phillips:
    Heh heh
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

"If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention."

Heather Heyer

mtbr member
    They were going to give him a traffic violation but wanted to arrest because of the chase. All seems way over the top dunnit?
    It does. We live close to a very rural area and there are people riding dirt bikes, ATV's all over the place and no one seems to care.

mtbr member
    Just admit that you did it and we can let you leave this thread.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Hi There!
    You hear 'em coming form miles away
    Their hovercrafts, mean hell to pay
    If you give chase, you're gonna die
    These future cops'll shine their
    Flashlight in yer eye
    First they frisk ya, they read yer rights
    But you ain't got none, this ain't your night
    Now there's a curfew, nobody's on the street
    And now yer busted and yer buddies packin' heat
    In the old days, you'd both have prolly fried
    Now yer wishin' you could find a place to hide
    Bad cops don't give a shit 'bout
    Rules and regulations
    Don't expect an easy ride down to the local station
    Don't try to bribe them, 'cause they don't play
    They're gonna take from you
    Whatever you got anyway
    These boys in blue pack needles instead of guns
    They'll shoot the serum to ya if you try to run
    This legislation passed right before our eyes
    The government fed these kids another pack of lies
    We all trusted, their cold blue steel
    Serve and protect, that was the deal
    They said the jails were overcrowded
    So they started killin' dudes on the spot
    Premeditation, chased for a mile
    The judge and jury, without a trial
    This assault on the mind will never cease
    When you're messin' with tomorrow police
    We need a plan to put these pigs back in their place
    If we come together we could save the human race
    It don't seem likely though
    Just look at how we fight
    Most people change their ****ing minds overnight
    Someday someones gonna come and
    Try to save us all
    We've got to band together to ensure a regimes fall
    You have to use your brain
    Cause you can't outfight the cops
    If you give a man an inch
    That mile will never stop
    No matter how loud that your lungs can shout
    Tomorrow police are gonna take you out!
    Before the flying Segway can chase you outta town
    Explore the halls of justice
    Where the rules are written down
    Study all those law books to ensure that there is peace
    Help prevent the bad cops from becoming the Police
    Tomorrow police, Tomorrow police
    Tomorrow police
    The Tomorrow Police
    NTFTC

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

this !

mtbr member
    It seems to me that you had a long day and were too tired to argue with vehement opposition to the counter to the truth position adopted by the village constables. I think in all honesty, you should have yawned like a male lion and told them you would be happy for a little spot to nap and taken in some shut eye while they rattled about the property just hangin' 'round. They apparently had nothing better to do... like check the registration for the ATV perhaps?

You did nothing wrong and your demeanor, in my opinion, backs up the events you shared with them because they asked, you cooperated as you should. At that point, stop talking and start napping.

I also think this is perhaps a training issue coupled with the sheer boredom of waiting for something to happen in a small town. They should know nothing happens in small towns, people go to the big city for that type of shenanigans.

Worst thing to say and I probably would have said it: "Go catch some cow tippers!" You however, did the right thing and didn't make new enemies of the locals. Hopefully, they will remember you fondly and leave you alone as they should.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sue those fukcers. Piece of siht cops.

NDD
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro View Post
    Sue those fukcers. Piece of siht cops.
    Well, I wouldn't even think about something like that. They're all probably training and done messed up. They looked dejected and salty when they left. That's either because they're just shitty people or they have no clue what their job is actually about. It's about enforcing laws, not "bagging perps" and it's not a win-lose game in situations like mine. Even if they would've taken me in it wouldn't have really been a "win" for them. There's nobody that wins when an innocent person goes to jail, if even for only 24 hours. I didn't win by getting let go, necessarily, either. I just felt angry, and now I've totally revamped my attitude towards talking to the police in a way that will not help them. That is, I'm no longer going to talk to them unless they actually have a warrant. Knocking on the door without a warrant for my arrest, specifically? No dice. Come up and get me.

The benefit of this being smalltown USA: Some of her family knows law enforcement folks and have talked to them about it. Needless to say it hasn't gone unnoticed, and the higher ups have all said it wasn't right. I was talking to an ex law enforcement officer the next day, and he said they did the wrong thing. It happens, and considering the job, at least their mistake didn't have the worst possible outcome a mistake could have.

Life goes on for me and them, in the meantime. I might be moving down there in 4 months after my job ends this season. We'll see what's up.
    dang

Meatbomb
    When they tell you that you have the right to shut up....DO IT!

NDD
    mtbr member
    When they tell you that you have the right to shut up....DO IT!
    noted
    dang

NDD
    mtbr member
    Also, should say I didn't think at the start of it I really needed to exercise my right to STFU, but in hindsight I wish I had. I kinda thought that they'd be like "wow this is a misunderstanding". I was wrong.
    dang

There are no misunderstandings, just cascading incompetence.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    Well, I wouldn't even think about something like that. They're all probably training and done messed up. They looked dejected and salty when they left. That's either because they're just shitty people or they have no clue what their job is actually about. It's about enforcing laws, not "bagging perps" and it's not a win-lose game in situations like mine. Even if they would've taken me in it wouldn't have really been a "win" for them. There's nobody that wins when an innocent person goes to jail, if even for only 24 hours. I didn't win by getting let go, necessarily, either. I just felt angry, and now I've totally revamped my attitude towards talking to the police in a way that will not help them. That is, I'm no longer going to talk to them unless they actually have a warrant. Knocking on the door without a warrant for my arrest, specifically? No dice. Come up and get me.

The benefit of this being smalltown USA: Some of her family knows law enforcement folks and have talked to them about it. Needless to say it hasn't gone unnoticed, and the higher ups have all said it wasn't right. I was talking to an ex law enforcement officer the next day, and he said they did the wrong thing. It happens, and considering the job, at least their mistake didn't have the worst possible outcome a mistake could have.

Life goes on for me and them, in the meantime. I might be moving down there in 4 months after my job ends this season. We'll see what's up.
    Yeah it is a win when innocent people go to jail. Cops get to build a resume, and prisons for profit are on the dole. Lawyers and media cash in on the bs too
    Round and round we go

Cycologist
    Yeah it is a win when innocent people go to jail. Cops get to build a resume, and prisons for profit are on the dole. Lawyers and media cash in on the bs too
    Hopefully not where NDD lives but that stuff is scary. Where was it a few months ago that a story came out about a prison company paying off a judge? I'm pretty lenient but ruining so many lives for personal profit would make me consider the death penalty may be ok for something like this.

mtbr member
    Hopefully not where NDD lives but that stuff is scary. Where was it a few months ago that a story came out about a prison company paying off a judge? I'm pretty lenient but ruining so many lives for personal profit would make me consider the death penalty may be ok for something like this.
    For NDD's sake me hopes so too.
    Small town are prime. They have the space, and generally the want for revenue. Fill the prison before the census, and benefits multiply
    Round and round we go