Question for the armchair psychologists here- Mtbr.com
    local trails rider

Question for the armchair psychologists here

Let's say this hypothetical person is browsing MTBR forums and finds a thread with a topic that could turn controversial. So he reads the thread and disagrees with what someone else says. He might even think that the other guy is speaking nonsense.

Why does the hypothetical person neg rep that other guy, instead of expressing his disagreement in the thread? I'd think that calling the other guy a fool in public would demonstrate the intelligence of the hypothetical person more effectively.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Is not amused
    En ole kiinnostunut.

Hyvää yötä
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Life Is Short
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Let's say this hypothetical person is browsing MTBR forums and finds a thread with a topic that could turn controversial. So he reads the thread and disagrees with what someone else says. He might even think that the other guy is speaking nonsense.

Why does the hypothetical person neg rep that other guy, instead of expressing his disagreement in the thread? I'd think that calling the other guy a fool in public would demonstrate the intelligence of the hypothetical person more effectively.
    Its the internet. Reminds me of the 1990's chat rooms. Folks anonymously log in
    and blast people, then click off with a grin on their face. Usually 14-year-olds and
    14-year-olds can't communicate very well.

Titanium junkie
    Social outcast who doesn't think they would win in a debate, even
    an internet one, so prefers to believe that neg repping you will
    bother you, hence, gratification. It's not the subject matter that's important,
    nor the end result, it's the chance to irritate someone who bothers the individual.
    If you had nothing better to do all day than feel sorry for yourself and be miserable......
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    <-----------------------Thinks this thread is about rep, particularly neg rep.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    Social outcast who doesn't think they would win in a debate, even
    an internet one, so prefers to believe that neg repping you will
    bother you, hence, gratification. It's not the subject matter that's important,
    nor the end result, it's the chance to irritate someone who bothers the individual.
    If you had nothing better to do all day than feel sorry for yourself and be miserable......
    This is true. I never leave neg rep - there's no point to troll and it's just being negative. Even though people debate me over things, I'm sure they aren't bad people... just a different opinion. Nothing wrong with that, at least not to justify leaving an anonymous, mean comment about them.

I'm sure I get neg rep a lot - but I never read my rep! Therefore, the neg repper gets no satisfaction. Again, I still think the rep system does not enhance MTBR in any way, shape or form. It's just a way for people to troll, and people should be allowed to opt out of it.

mtbr member
    Ok I'll do some psychoanalyzing, purely for entertainment.
    I find it very unlike Pertime to start a thread like this. It's just not what I'm used to from you. You're usually so helpful and kind and normally stay away from the bs threads around here.
    Also, while I think he offers great advice, I enjoy his sense of humor, and find his outlook unique, find it questionable/puzzling that Dion needs to say SO often that he NEVER reads his reps. Especially since his sig did say at one time that he no longer posts on MTBR, which seemed to be true, at least for a while. So why did he stop, and why did he stop stopping...... Hmmm.
    Round and round we go

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Ok I'll do some psychoanalyzing, purely for entertainment.
    I find it very unlike Pertime to start a thread like this.
    I am told my native culture is a little bit divided on a couple of things, and sometimes that division surfaces in me. The side people tend to notice most is that we are no good at small talk: "shut up or get to the point". The other side is to occasionally throw in a sideways comment, to see if anything interesting comes out of it.

Things would be pretty boring if everybody agreed on everything.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Members who have read this thread: 1