I dd what you see there.

The pseudo official 2012 FISHING thread:

Normally I haven't taken pictures of my fishing exploits, but I'm going to start this season. My trailer is in a "conservation area" right on the Grand River in Brantford (Ontario Canada). The part I go in is only wading depth for the most part. I've caught Smallies, Walleyes, and Pike. The 'Euros' catch a lot of Carp there too(I've snagged a few). Also on a trek there previously this year I saw a Bald Eagle flying around.

Anywho, post some pictures if you got em and tell the details of your favorite fishing holes.
    2002 Cannondale Jekyll 800
    2011 Trek Cronus CX Ultimate

Ride More, Work Less
    So nobody will have fish size envy. This is my oldest son catching a whooper.

The pseudo official 2012 FISHING thread:-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339171774.506228.jpg
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Ride More, Work Less
    Second son, later in spring The pseudo official 2012 FISHING thread:-imageuploadedbytapatalk1339171999.434795.jpg
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

AZ
    banned
    My favorites going up in smoke last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The pseudo official 2012 FISHING thread:-arizona%2520wildfires-1724424165_v2_grid-8x2.jpg  

Weird huh?
    Fishing is fishing is fishing! Wherever and however. Kudos for taking the kids out fishing. Some of my best memories are of my dad taking me when I was like 6.

Arizona Mountains: Sucks that. Hope you and your family were spared. I'm a native Tucson boy and remember well when those White mountain fires get going, they're bigger then anything we ever see here in California.

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

mtbr member
    i dont go fishing...i go catching!
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Damn that hurt
    We went from Bass Boats and high speed to canoes and trout fishing. LOVE it so much more.
    It was fun while it lasted.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Former Team tourney basser here. Started bassin' in 1980, then hit saltwater in 1982. Fished heavily until about 10 years ago when my daughter was born.

Highlights:

FRESHWATER:
    *Largemouth bass 11.5lbs, actually at least 3 this size.
    *Smallmouth bass 4.5 pounds
    *Striped Bass 27.5 pounds on 10lb. test line! Towed the boat for almost 100 yards!!!

SALTWATER:
    *Calico or Sand Bass: close to 8lbs.
    *California Halibut 33lbs
    *Mako Shark at over 150lbs, a 6.5 footer
    *Bluefin Tuna 65lbs
    *Albacore 55lbs
    *Yellowtail 27lbs
    *Ling Cod 23lbs

I, on the other hand have photographed the Hell out of my fishing ventures. I've got so many pics I wouldn't know where to start. I've got a few video clips, too.

This was my life. Then the second best thing that ever happened to me was born, my daughter.... the first best thing is of course, my wife. Now, I only have time to sneak away regularly for a quick 1-2 hour bike ride. But at least I am able to be consistent at it.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

I dd what you see there.
    Not a fish, but taken while fishing - and not interesting to you Americans, but it is for us here in Canada. On the Grand River in Brantford, Ontario Canada - (the park where my trailer is).... I believe it's a juvenile Bald Eagle as there are and have been adults flying around.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Love me some bassin'...

Otay Lake, San Diego, CA.
    Last edited by rydbyk; 07-06-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Huckin' trails
    I've spent the last week eating tuna and steak every day here... Flounder fishing suck, but tuna bite is over the top !
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Floated the upper Yellowstone on Sunday and it was lights out for cutthroats on big dry flies.....bugs of every size imaginable in vast quantities: Salmonflies, stoneflies, caddis...wow. Awesome. This whole week is going to be epic. Water just cleared enough for good fishing.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Just got back from Lake Mead, NV. As usual, WFO on the Channel Cats, all you want all day and night. I actually didn't see any until the next morning after our first night of binge drinking. There was a school of them feeding on our sunken barf chunks and they never left after that.

mnoutain bkie rdier

Pics

Post pics. Sorry my pic turned out so huge...oops.

Michigan Wolverine

Just a little smallmouth bass.

Suckin wind like a boss
    just a little halibut, caught in the channel on the n. side of montague island south of valdez. 2001 i think? maybe 02.

If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    just a little halibut, caught in the channel on the n. side of montague island south of valdez. 2001 i think? maybe 02.

I have to believe that you still have some chunks of that beauty stashed away in a deep freezer somewhere. Can you send me some of that? Alaskan Halibut is my fav, hands down.

Suckin wind like a boss
    you know, halibut that big are several hundred years old, and the flesh gets stringy. the best part of that fish was the cheeks.

and if i still had some of that layin around i couldnt imagine how freezer burnt it would be after 10-odd years, vacuum packed or not!
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    you know, halibut that big are several hundred years old, and the flesh gets stringy. the best part of that fish was the cheeks.

and if i still had some of that layin around i couldnt imagine how freezer burnt it would be after 10-odd years, vacuum packed or not!
    I figured... gotta try though...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train View Post
    Floated the upper Yellowstone on Sunday and it was lights out for cutthroats on big dry flies.....bugs of every size imaginable in vast quantities: Salmonflies, stoneflies, caddis...wow. Awesome. This whole week is going to be epic. Water just cleared enough for good fishing.
    PM some beta, I have to deliver my jetta tdi in Bozeman MT on 7-12, wanted to get some fishing in in Yellowstone.... will my 2 wt Sage 282-3 SLT cut it, or are the fish too big? It's the only rod I got that will fit in my carry on on the airlines home.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Don't you guys pull some killer ling cod out of alaska waters? Me, i'm a smoked springer king salmon ocean caught kinda guy. Or fresh off the boat, steak cut. Mmmm, luv me some King salmon.

mtbr member
    was lucky enough to tag along on a private charter out on Puget Sound last September for my first bit of fishing since I was a kid, pulled in a couple nice salmon:

the next evening, shortly before being planked, glazed, and devoured:

hoping to get back out there this year.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000

mtbr member
    Decent sized large-mouth bass I caught a few weeks ago. I had an absolute Hog from Falls lake that tore my knot loose 4 feet from the shore after fighting him for 5 minutes and jumping completely out of the water twice. That's how it goes with fishing sometimes.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
    Decent sized large-mouth bass I caught a few weeks ago. I had an absolute Hog from Falls lake that tore my knot loose 4 feet from the shore after fighting him for 5 minutes and jumping completely out of the water twice. That's how it goes with fishing sometimes.
    Nice one but man, that thing is all head! In So Cal, the LMBs are so fat that they look like they're gonna pop.
    Last edited by Hawgzilla; 07-31-2012 at 05:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Nice one but man, that thing is all head! In So Cal, the LMBs are so fat that they look like they're gonna pop.
    DAMN! That's a FAT LMB to have such a small mouth. Yeah, the weight is all in the belly. Sometimes I get lucky and get a pregnant female, other times not, lol. Good catch! Posi rep for you.
    Now, this guy here is a little better. I caught him last year on a senko right off the side of a downed log.

So, I pulled the trigger and purchased the Daiwa Minispin to put in a back pack when I ride my dirtbike or MTB to try out some of the honey holes I see on my ride. Here are a couple pictures. Its really small and will fit in a backpack with ease. As soon as I try it out I'll update everyone.
    Last edited by StopTheExcuses; 07-10-2012 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Has anybody here used this setup below?
    Amazon.com: Daiwa Mini System Minispin Ultralight Spinning Reel and Rod Combo in Hard Carry Case: Sports & Outdoors
    I'm thinking about buying that to shove in a backpack and take with me on my MTB or Dirt Bike to ride to my fishing spots instead of taking a vehicle. I know it's nowhere as good as my normal setup, but it would be nice to get a ride and some fishing done at the same time.

ready to ride
    Ha just found this forum and thread. Getting ready to head to Yellowstone to fish the backcountry for cutthroats. Leave next Saturday and get to fish for 6 days. I have backcountry permits for 3 days on probably one of better streams in world. Definitely my other passion. Luck fully it has been pissing rain here so I have been able to focus on building out a fly rod for the trip and generally getting ready for it. I cant wait. Pretty much going to be worthless this coming week at work.

At home I usually don't mix riding and fishing but there are a couple of streams I'll use the bike to shorten the hike in on.

I dd what you see there.
    Just took this smallie yesterday. Impressive considering the river is ULTRA low. Minimal rain over the last 3 months. The area were I caught it was barely over my knee.

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Love those brown bass!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    Love those brown bass!
    Is that what that is? It looked like some kind of small mouth bass...Nice!

STEEL IS REAL
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by StopTheExcuses View Post
    Is that what that is? It looked like some kind of small mouth bass...Nice!
    It is a Smallmouth bass but my fishing buddies and I call them "brown bass", "brownies", "golden bass", "rocket bass", or "SMBs". Everything is slang or has a nickname here in So Cal, including my friends themselves, LOL!

I dd what you see there.
    Regardless of what you wanna call it, I'm thrilled I was able to get it. Like I said, the river is so low this year, it's been a really tough go. I'm no expert on the area or anything, but I'd say it's a good 6 to 8 inches below "normal" in the main area of the river.

This has also affected the aggression of the fish. Last year, they'd hit anything. I'd use a 4" SPRO 'swimbait' and the little 5 and 6 inch guys who were barely bigger than the lure would even go after it. This year, I got skunked for the first time ever in that part of the river, about a month ago, using an SPRO Arukashad crankbait and the guaranteed to catch fish lure (last year anyways) - a Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap, Black back w/ Gold belly. Same result Saturday. Crankbaits and bigger Spinnerbaits resulted in NOTHING!!!! However, the small "tailed" spinners seemed to work. I think I caught that fish on a Blue Fox Vibrax Foxtail. I also caught several other smaller fish on a Mepps "dressed Aglia".

mtbr member
    105 Sockeye salmon in my freezer/canned in my pantry for this year. I love Alaska! Dipnetting is the bomb. Grocery shopping northland style. Wish I had some pictures to share, but when the fish are running it takes everything to keep the net in the water. Biggest fish was a 13 or 14 pounder, which is a dang big sockey.

Now it's on to sportfishing for the silvers once all the tourists have gone.

Members who have read this thread: 0