Pro sports? Yeah, I don't care.- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 45 of 45
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Eazy_E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,566

    Pro sports? Yeah, I don't care.

    First off, I never understood the religious fanaticism a lot of people have for pro sports, especially baseball, football, basketball, etc. Every Sunday, squeeze your 350lb self into an XXXXL team jersey you bought for $100, and sit around screaming at a 54" TV you couldn't afford while getting drunk with your loser buddies who are just as fat, if not worse. Yeah, sounds great bro.

    That said, I used to have a passing interest in pro cycling, but even that's worn off now that I've realized how prevalent drugs and doping are in the circuit. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the technological advancements and the trickle down effect pro cycling drives, but the racers themselves are just disappointing.

    I mean, can you really say you love the sport if you're willing to dishonor it and yourself by taking illegal drugs for better performance and then going to extreme lengths to hide it? Seems to me like it's not a race to see who works harder, who wants it more, who is best, but rather who has the bigger budget to buy the best doctors to get the boutique drugs. It's just disappointing.

    I'm not fast. I'm not good. I don't have million dollar endorsements, or sponsors. I ride because I like to, because it makes me feel good. I like going places, seeing things, and meeting people I normally wouldn't. I ride for the sake of riding. I'm just a regular guy trying to have fun.

    Pro cycling is dead to me.

  2. #2
    RTM
    RTM is offline
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,854
    Well, that was uplifting!

    I'm a big sports fan, though nothing like you describe. I just enjoy watching people perform at a high level. I could watch almost any sport, though I'm not a big fan of sitting around so I do prefer to participate.

    Well, to each his own right?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: d365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,325
    I'd rather watch sports, than read your worthless b**tching.

    Easy's not so easy.

  4. #4
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,174
    ....and I have more interest in his "worthless biatching" than watching the aforementioned Pro-sports.

    michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

    Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

  5. #5
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    I also prefer participating, but I will spectate, too. it's part of the whole experience of sports.

    I play soccer, and have a blast doing so. I ride my bikes, and enjoy it. I do these things because I'm better at them than other things. but that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy watching some sports I am not as skilled at playing. I am too small for football, but I like to watch it from time to time. but my limit is one game, and oftentimes not even that. usually I make it through half a game and then get caught up doing something else while the game plays in the background. the same thing happens when I have any sport on TV. it's usually on in the background and I only focus on it when I hear the crowd and/or announcers begin to get excited.

    I'm not much of a basketball fan, which is somewhat of a blasphemous statement considering I grew up in Indiana. I'd play with friends, but gym class ruined it for me. being graded on how many free throws I could make in 60sec as a kid soured me.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 53119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,279
    there are so many "pro" sports. are you referring to the ones that require only one ball or minimum two balls to do?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6,984
    I hate the big three, football, basketball, baseball. I get tired of these grown men crying about how "little" money they make. I just want to puke. I'm sure it happens in other pro sports too, you just don't hear about it nor do other athletes make the stupid money the player in the above sports make.

    As far as doping and performance drugs, yeah, I don't care. I don't really consider it cheating, more like evening the playing field. It's our fault athletes dope anyways as we, the spectators, demand increased performance every year to keep the interest high. The human body can only perform to a certain level naturally. I don't think anyone wants to watch sports played at a natural level, especially now after people have become accustom to superhuman performances. So in order to continue making those ridiculous paychecks, players gotta dope.
    Super snowflake = when an avatar offends you so much you have to cry about it and report it to admin. Life must suck for you.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    861
    team sports are pretty boring to me. if you watch a football game you spend 95% of the listening to the commentators and 5% watching actual game time. maybe if i gambled on the outcome i could actually sit through a game. if you tell me im not a man for not liking football ill have to ask what the ass smacking is all about.

    baseball is worse. a big play is a grand slam. seen it once, seen it 100 times. knocked it over the fence? yawn.

    just my opinion. everybody should watch whatever they like. go team!

  9. #9
    better than I deserve
    Reputation: roblee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    478
    Not a fan of pro sports.Even worse than spending all your time obsessed with them is the talk shows where two or three guys sit around and recap and speculate on it all?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,883
    First off, I never really understood why some people have to stereotype and degrade, while putting themselves on a pedestal. From my unscientific observations, there were as many obese people riding the road and trails last weekend as there were at the last football game I went to. Maybe 20% of "us" doing each event could have lost a few pounds, myself included.

    Why to riders act like everyone in this sport is ultra fit, healthy, etc? Also, why do so many riders seem to embrace the counterculture aspect of the cycling or mountain biking? I never really got that -- why can't I like to ride my bike and watch football?

    That said, one thing I kind of regret is spending untold hours practicing football and baseball growing up, only to put it aside once I couldn't make college teams and never really do it again. I might have preferred to spend time on sports I could do the rest of my life. That said, I learned lessons in those sports that carry through to biking and other aspects of my life, and I appreciate and enjoy watching the games played at a high level.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Adim_X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    723
    Meh, Pro sports are okay. It is really easy to make a choice not to watch them as opposed to posting about how you don't like them. Also, not every sports fan is fat nor do they have a TV they can't afford.

  12. #12
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Imagine what a bleak landscape it would be without any pro sports. You may not like them all but I would venture that almost everyone has one or two that they have at least a passing interest in.

  13. #13
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    about 100-130 years ago a few top psychologists (is that a real word) and behavior scientists sat down, asking how to direct the attention of the general population from matters that are important in society towards something else. They came up with big arenas and sports. Its a very good distraction, keeps the people stupid, and let you do whatever you want in the mean time, since the population if tied up with sports and don't actually understand what you are doing anyway, while phucking them out of their money and/or rights.

    Pro sports is a type of brainwashing made up for you so you don't ask questions about important things in life. Keeping your brain sedated and in a retarded non alert state, because hey your team won right! Forget about your kids being raped and then burned. You still have your sports. And it makes it all go away, since your attention is diverted from the important things.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,729
    I like pro sports and its a good reason to drink beer. I can't ride
    24 hours a day, so this makes a good break from riding. Plus
    I'm 6'1" and weight 155, so I wouldn't call myself fat.

  15. #15
    RTM
    RTM is offline
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Reputation: RTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,854
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    about 100-130 years ago a few top psychologists (is that a real word) and behavior scientists sat down, asking how to direct the attention of the general population from matters that are important in society towards something else. They came up with big arenas and sports. Its a very good distraction, keeps the people stupid, and let you do whatever you want in the mean time, since the population if tied up with sports and don't actually understand what you are doing anyway, while phucking them out of their money and/or rights.

    Pro sports is a type of brainwashing made up for you so you don't ask questions about important things in life. Keeping your brain sedated and in a retarded non alert state, because hey your team won right! Forget about your kids being raped and then burned. You still have your sports. And it makes it all go away, since your attention is diverted from the important things.
    So sports, arenas, public spectacle...it all started 130 years ago?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    So sports, arenas, public spectacle...it all started 130 years ago?
    Well, it is useless to ask Car Bone that now, as he'll never be able to answer you. Since he exposed Their secret, he's probably locked up in a holding cell on 3-mile Island by now until They decide what to do with him -- scramble his brain to make an example out of him, or just do away with him.

    Wait ... who's playing again tonight?
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

  17. #17
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,621
    its entertainment. at the end of the day it is only a way to draw viewers and make money. no sense in getting mad over something that is only meant to amuse.

  18. #18
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Click it off if it offends you.

  19. #19
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,755
    I absolutly love the Super Bowl and always make sure I'm in Mammoth with empty lift lines.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  20. #20
    Formerly mtbnoobadam
    Reputation: Adam_B.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    694
    Way to stereotype. I'll throw one out there too. I bet you were a non-athletic dungeons and dragons playing virgin that got picked on by the jocks and didn't have the sack to stand up for himself type. Am I right?

    Stereotypes are lame and so are you :thumsup:

  21. #21
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by RTM View Post
    So sports, arenas, public spectacle...it all started 130 years ago?
    The conceptual idea yes, could have as short as 100 years ago. I really can't remember. I heard a lecture about this about 2 years ago or so. How and why. But what I wrote is true, timing may be off a little, but yeah areana sports is pretty much a distraction and it was made that way too from the ground up. Its only now in the recent years it has begun producing monmey and stars, and has its own economy. and that was definitely not in the plans 100 years ago. So now the monster is feeding itself. But way back it was thought out to be a diversion or distraction, and it obviously works quite well.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  22. #22
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Well, it is useless to ask Car Bone that now, as he'll never be able to answer you. Since he exposed Their secret, he's probably locked up in a holding cell on 3-mile Island by now until They decide what to do with him -- scramble his brain to make an example out of him, or just do away with him.

    Hardly. I don't say its a conspiracy, but from the beginning it was definitely a coin with a backside, and that was the whole purpose with it. Now its different. Its still braindead **** though, only with money at stake.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  23. #23
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    The conceptual idea yes, could have as short as 100 years ago. I really can't remember. I heard a lecture about this about 2 years ago or so. How and why. But what I wrote is true, timing may be off a little, but yeah areana sports is pretty much a distraction and it was made that way too from the ground up. Its only now in the recent years it has begun producing monmey and stars, and has its own economy. and that was definitely not in the plans 100 years ago. So now the monster is feeding itself. But way back it was thought out to be a diversion or distraction, and it obviously works quite well.




    Uhmmm, the Roman empire perfected the practice a bit before the 1880's.

  24. #24
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Yes of course and someone took it up recently. I haven't heard of any vikings doing arena sports for example. I guess the behavior models were based on gladiator fights and similar older arena gatherings. Basically they had it way back, then it died for 2k years and now its back, different purposes every time though. Get people involved emotionally. And we have many more sports now than antique greece. For them it was like once a week but now its 24/7, 250 channels of it all fukcing day long. I threw out my tv long ago because of this.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  25. #25
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yes of course and someone took it up recently. I haven't heard of any vikings doing arena sports for example. I guess the behavior models were based on gladiator fights and similar older arena gatherings. Basically they had it way back, then it died for 2k years and now its back, different purposes every time though. Get people involved emotionally. And we have many more sports now than antique greece. For them it was like once a week but now its 24/7, 250 channels of it all fukcing day long. I threw out my tv long ago because of this.



    You really should get it sorted out before you post anymore nonsense.

  26. #26
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yes of course and someone took it up recently. I haven't heard of any vikings doing arena sports for example.
    Last I heard, the Vikings were in fact getting a new arena. oh wait, you were talking about the sports shown in the movie How to Train Your Dragon.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  27. #27
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You really should get it sorted out before you post anymore nonsense.
    Yeah maybe I should. Or maybe I shouldn't. I don't find it to be nonsense.. I find it to be mass mental diversion. Seriously, humans have been as smart as we are now for at least 10000 years, all psychological behaviour has been known by those in the know for that amount of time. The books we read are fairy tales written by the winners of whatever war. And some of it are even worse than fairy tales like "the book", its 50/50 fantasy/fiction.

    Most news we read are either fabricated or pure psyop propaganda depending on whos launching it. Just listen Ryan Holiday RyanHoliday.net | Meditations on strategy and life how easy it is to fabricate "news" that makes it world wide. He has some good radio interviews on youtube. And he has written a book just recently on media manipulation, or should I say propaganda. He is a media manipulator. And there is always someone manipulating something for us. In psyops we trust. Most of our society is a big ****ing psyop believe it or not, but thats the way the world works, and always has been, for the last 10000 years.

    We just don't want to face it becuse its too scary. The nazis launched a whole world war on the notion that the people are too stupid to react to bs, no one protested. It was based on a big phucking psyop. And the success of that has evolved, and the nazis themselves got all thier knowledge on how to divert the attention of even older knowledge.

    Back in the good old days they conducted lots of research on human psychology, most of the wars we see today uses that research to trick people into following along. And thats it.

    You want to believe it? Yes, no? I don't care, its the way it works, always has been and always will. I take no stance, I just report it.

    Arena sports = psyop to divert attention, at least it started out that way. Its a fabricated phenomenon to begin with, the whole phenomenon was fabricated for us to get dumber and don't ask questions.

    This is the way it works. I'm not nuts. This is the way all marketing and promotion works, and all that is based on old research, the same research that gave us arena sports.

    But for me it doesn't matter. I have never been interested in sports, so I don't give a F. But I do care about the effects in society. Because I still have to live in it.

    And its time for another beer. and this one is for you AZ. We may not think the same about this but still I like the conversation.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  28. #28
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    Anybody else pulling a chair up for this conversation?
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  29. #29
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Anybody else pulling a chair up for this conversation?
    I'm not since it was my last post in it. But you all can argue and I'll come back and watch in a week. Behave.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  30. #30
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yeah maybe I should. Or maybe I shouldn't. I don't find it to be nonsense.. I find it to be mass mental diversion. Seriously, humans have been as smart as we are now for at least 10000 years, all psychological behaviour has been known by those in the know for that amount of time. The books we read are fairy tales written by the winners of whatever war. And some of it are even worse than fairy tales like "the book", its 50/50 fantasy/fiction.

    Most news we read are either fabricated or pure psyop propaganda depending on whos launching it. Just listen Ryan Holiday RyanHoliday.net | Meditations on strategy and life how easy it is to fabricate "news" that makes it world wide. He has some good radio interviews on youtube. And he has written a book just recently on media manipulation, or should I say propaganda. He is a media manipulator. And there is always someone manipulating something for us. In psyops we trust. Most of our society is a big ****ing psyop believe it or not, but thats the way the world works, and always has been, for the last 10000 years.

    We just don't want to face it becuse its too scary. The nazis launched a whole world war on the notion that the people are too stupid to react to bs, no one protested. It was based on a big phucking psyop. And the success of that has evolved, and the nazis themselves got all thier knowledge on how to divert the attention of even older knowledge.

    Back in the good old days they conducted lots of research on human psychology, most of the wars we see today uses that research to trick people into following along. And thats it.

    You want to believe it? Yes, no? I don't care, its the way it works, always has been and always will. I take no stance, I just report it.

    Arena sports = psyop to divert attention, at least it started out that way. Its a fabricated phenomenon to begin with, the whole phenomenon was fabricated for us to get dumber and don't ask questions.

    This is the way it works. I'm not nuts. This is the way all marketing and promotion works, and all that is based on old research, the same research that gave us arena sports.

    But for me it doesn't matter. I have never been interested in sports, so I don't give a F. But I do care about the effects in society. Because I still have to live in it.

    And its time for another beer. and this one is for you AZ. We may not think the same about this but still I like the conversation.



    You totally ignored the Roman empire.

  31. #31
    Perpetual Hack
    Reputation: mykel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,174
    ...and the roman empire had the gladiatorial games for the same reason - to pacify the populace and divert attention away from the shenanigans going on...

    michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

    Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

  32. #32
    "2 Wycked"
    Reputation: crazy03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    986
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Forget about your kids being raped and then burned. You still have your sports. .
    Holy sh*t...that just happened to my neighbor's kids...and all because of sports, who'd have thought?
    Ahhhh...Ahhhh....it's the hammy, it's the hammy!!

  33. #33
    Hi.
    Reputation: jtmartino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,864
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You totally ignored the Roman empire.
    He does that a lot. Ignores facts and common sense.

    Makes for an entertaining read.

  34. #34
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    29,316
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Makes for an entertaining read.
    Only the first couple of times. Then it gets trite

  35. #35
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Anybody else pulling a chair up for this conversation?
    Just pulled my chair up, but I'll forget this entire thread by the time NFL games start in a few weeks.

  36. #36
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Way to stereotype. I'll throw one out there too. I bet you were a non-athletic dungeons and dragons playing virgin that got picked on by the jocks and didn't have the sack to stand up for himself type. Am I right?

    Stereotypes are lame and so are you :thumsup:
    No. You're wrong. When you were playing D&D in the 80's, I was riding my mountainbike, surfing and skating, and was on the HS swim team and played HS baseball. I just don't care about pro sports. I'm an outside kid and everyday is recess day. I also haven't had a TV for around 12 years so that figures in also. To each their own but I will always love the short lift lines on SB Sunday.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    Yes of course and someone took it up recently. I haven't heard of any vikings doing arena sports for example. I guess the behavior models were based on gladiator fights and similar older arena gatherings. Basically they had it way back, then it died for 2k years and now its back, different purposes every time though. Get people involved emotionally. And we have many more sports now than antique greece. For them it was like once a week but now its 24/7, 250 channels of it all fukcing day long. I threw out my tv long ago because of this.
    Umm, I think just about every society I've heard of or read about had some sort of games, distractions, heros, etc.

    But you're right, the ancient Greeks didn't have them on TV. So we're obviously far more crazy about it than those losers were.

    Really, if you want to get upset about something on TV, get upset about the myriad reality options, shows about nothing, or all of that. In my book, if any kid gets inspired to take up any sport of any kind because of his/her exposure to it on TV or elsewhere, that's great.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,542
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy_E View Post
    First off, I never understood the religious fanaticism a lot of people have for pro sports, especially baseball, football, basketball, etc. Every Sunday, squeeze your 350lb self into an XXXXL team jersey you bought for $100, and sit around screaming at a 54" TV you couldn't afford while getting drunk with your loser buddies who are just as fat, if not worse. Yeah, sounds great bro.

    That said, I used to have a passing interest in pro cycling, but even that's worn off now that I've realized how prevalent drugs and doping are in the circuit. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the technological advancements and the trickle down effect pro cycling drives, but the racers themselves are just disappointing.

    I mean, can you really say you love the sport if you're willing to dishonor it and yourself by taking illegal drugs for better performance and then going to extreme lengths to hide it? Seems to me like it's not a race to see who works harder, who wants it more, who is best, but rather who has the bigger budget to buy the best doctors to get the boutique drugs. It's just disappointing.

    I'm not fast. I'm not good. I don't have million dollar endorsements, or sponsors. I ride because I like to, because it makes me feel good. I like going places, seeing things, and meeting people I normally wouldn't. I ride for the sake of riding. I'm just a regular guy trying to have fun.

    Pro cycling is dead to me.
    Sounds like you care.

    I don't care about scrapbooking, fly fishing, piņata making, Renaissance fairs, model train collecting, antique furniture restoration, book clubs... and an array of other things. But, I recognize it makes people happy - so no need to crap on their parade by posting a thread about it. It's how I feel about religious beliefs, political groups, etc. The moment I start a thread about Christian Republicans shows how much I actually do care.

    Every Sunday, thousands and thousands of my fellow A-Muri-kans get together, eat tons of food, drink beers and have fun on a Sunday watching gigantic men slam into each other. As long as they're having fun and not bothering me - go at it!

    I enjoy pro football - that is - after my Sunday ride.

    As I get older and less uppity about what people do in their personal lives that doesn't affect me. I just let things go.

    Want to pray to Allah? None of my business.
    Want to be a staunch Republican or Democrat? None of my business.
    Are you in a gay relationship? None of my business.
    Want to be a 49'ers fanatic? None of my business.

    It's strange to me that people defend, say, gay marriage with the standpoint, "Whatever people want to do in their own home is up to them and none of my business..." yet have a problem with individuals loving a relatively benign societal phenomenon such as professional sports. Too many people uppity about what others are doing, in private, in their own homes. If it doesn't affect you - who the fcuk cares?

    Get off your high horses, people. It's just a game on TV. Don't like it? Do something else.

  39. #39
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,680
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnoobadam View Post
    Way to stereotype. I'll throw one out there too. I bet you were a non-athletic dungeons and dragons playing virgin that got picked on by the jocks and didn't have the sack to stand up for himself type. Am I right?

    Stereotypes are lame and so are you :thumsup:
    hey man i played a LOT of D&D back in the day... when we had 3 channels on the tv and had to actually go to the TV to change em. wasnt a whole lot else to do back then. and i also played baseball and football, at the old mans behest, but it just wasnt my thing. followed just about every sport at one time or another over the years, until they all lost my interest. (even golf.)

    now, i could care less. but i still play video games, when other friends are gettin sh!tty at the bar during sports events. to each his own, eh?
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

  40. #40
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,621
    get shitty playing video games. win win.

  41. #41
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    10,155
    At what point does fandom cross the crazy line? - The Globe and Mail

    this is a great article about the process of fandom and what people get out of it. I suspect that a lot of fandom is rooted in a need to have some accomplishment that you can feel happy about. Many many people don't have mountain biking or any athletic endeavor in which to achieve that high and, from the article, there seems to be a similar release from watching sports.

    Now I can't stand professional sports. I gag every time NBC feels they need to show an NBA player in the crowd at some event. I gag every time I listen to people glow about their team. I lived in Canada during the time that the Blue Jays won the world ball hitting championship and they destroyed their city. How many canadians on that team? One. Owners: American. Destruction of Canadian property and livelihoods: millions of dollars.

    But I watch the super bowl because it is usually an amazing game of football. I watch the world cup because it is always some amazing games of soccer. I watch the tour de france because some how i hope their will be some excitement (which is almost never the case) and I watch the olympics because every single person there is there to do their best in their sport. Which means the marathon, the road races, the swimming, heck even the gymnastics is the best you can see. Which plays to my "like the sport not the culture of the sport" leanings.

    I appreciate the best performances in any sport, the rest of the season is just about advertisers filling in the breaks between people going through the motions to make it to playoffs.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tystevens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,883
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    At what point does fandom cross the crazy line? - The Globe and Mail

    this is a great article about the process of fandom and what people get out of it. I suspect that a lot of fandom is rooted in a need to have some accomplishment that you can feel happy about. Many many people don't have mountain biking or any athletic endeavor in which to achieve that high and, from the article, there seems to be a similar release from watching sports.
    I agree, the psychology of fandom is very interesting. The esoteric behaivors, feelings of inclusion, along with exclusion and competition with other fans, all of that is quite curious. Very strange how people can bring themselves to actually hate, and even come to violence, simply because someone else is a fan of another team. Even while they really have a lot more in common with each other than they may have with a non-fan of the sport.

    But it is really just an extension of group-think and all of that -- other groups exhibit simiilar behaivors. Think equestrians vs. hikers vs. roadies vs. mountain bikers!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You totally ignored the Roman empire.
    i would totally get into sports if they brought gladiator games back. animals vs humans would be entertaining. chariots exploding into pieces? prime time.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    21
    I prefer sports that require the talent of one versus the the talent of a group. If you lose, you can only blame yourself...

  45. #45
    clown question, bro
    Reputation: zeppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post

    Get off your high horses, people. It's just a game on TV. Don't like it? Do something else.
    Exactly this [chopped for length ). Who really cares what people do with their lives if it has no affect on you? I like football and baseball. I can't stand basketball. But, does that make me feel as though basketball fans are inferior to my awesome self? No; they just have different interests.

    Different strokes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.