Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995

    Posts from industry folks

    Every so often on mtbr you see posts from vendors, bike shops, manufacturers, bike industry folks, and other "outsiders" of the mtbr regulars.

    Sometimes I like the info, sometimes they raise more questions, and sometimes I just go "who cares". I always keep reading wondering "wtf are they doing here" in this attitude-rich corner of the internet.

    Did someone within the company get asked to post something? Are they getting paid to post? Was it a personal impulse from that particular employee and what does their boss think about it?

    I just can't help wonder. What about you folks?

    Note: I will +rep all those who post to this thread.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,926
    The "outsiders" in the Mountain Bike Manufacturer Forums are valid reps from said companies. They are usually there to help users with their problems. If they don't have attitudes about their brands, they are a worthwhile contributor to MTBR (Darren from Push, Turner in the Turner forum, Dan from Pivot..etc).
    Sometimes you'll have reps who are so up their ass in their own brand that they refuse to accept any faults or other brands (Chumba).

  3. #3
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Most of them are great contributors while a couple are just pimps. You'll figure out who is genuine in their efforts to provide support and info about not only their products but mtbing in general.

  4. #4
    rebmem rbtm
    Reputation: juancho142's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    417
    In a forum from my country where i post regularly there are some LBS that post every now and then, but it looks like they just do it to get more sales. They say they give forum members discount though...

  5. #5
    Keep pedaling
    Reputation: Furball the Mystery Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    417
    I respect and appreciate most industry people who participate in these forums. It's good they take the time to listen to their customers here. I like the ones who answer customers questions and concerns about the products they sell.

    It's probably good for the industry folks too. It makes bike riders feel like that company is more interested in their customers. It makes us more aware of their company.

  6. #6
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    I would like to see in their affiliation in their signature.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  7. #7
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,390
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I would like to see in their affiliation in their signature.
    I believe the TOS of the site requires them to do so.

    by and large, I appreciate industry presence. there's enough BS and misconceptions and incorrect info here that it's helpful to have someone who can cut through that $hit and give a knowledgeable answer.

    The GPS forum recently had a rep from Strava come in and sort out some guessing and provide some excellent info. Much appreciated.

    I don't appreciate the company reps who come in with a stick up their a$$, an axe to grind, or a pile of ******** to heft upon forum users. There's been plenty of those over the years and they get exposed for what they are. Tony Ellsworth was one from the olden days (not sure if he was the first, though). Then there was one guy associated with Iron Horse and I believe Randall Scott and the subsequent tanking of those companies. That one was a mess and resulted in mass bannings, the closing of f-88 and the creation of f88me. Most of those threads were completely deleted, which is part of the reason I'm fuzzy on many of those details. I haven't followed the Chumba saga, but I'm aware of it. The guy from BD caused a lot of problems early on, but I believe the Admins laid down the law and he's behaved in recent years. Geoman was a valued poster, as well...the original Geoman moreso (before he died), as he frequented a few different forums and provided good info.

    please don't rep me just for posting here

  8. #8
    Yes, that's fonetic
    Reputation: whoda*huck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,890
    Dave Turner (turnerbikes) follows and posts in the Turner forum quite often. He's even asked for design input from forum members...can't get much more in touch with your user base than that.

    Not for rep, give it to someone who needs (wants) it.

  9. #9
    Give it a crank
    Reputation: Mtn-Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,995
    Sounds like there's several that are actually mtbr regulars I hadn't noticed. The ones that prompted me to OP were those that make a couple of posts after signing up then disappear. You can hardly tell they're even real.

    I obviously missed those who have been here for a long time that I don't know who they are in the real world. Their affiliation in their sig would certainly help as some already have. Despite my skepticism I have to agree that their participation enhances the talk on mtbr.

  10. #10
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    24,390
    can't forget Knolly. he's a mtbr old timer who went on to create his own bike company. haven't seen him participating in general forum stuff really since he started the company, but still, I'd say he counts.

    Krein, developer of Topofusion, participates some.

    there's a number of shop owners who do have their details in their sig.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Generally speaking, I think it's rare to interact with the people who design/build the stuff we buy. It sure doesn't happen with appliances, cars, groceries, etc. Not sure how it works with other hobbies/sports and forums, but to me mtbr does a good job of empowering consumers- for me, part of that means a sense of satisfaction knowing my money is going to someone who isn't a complete tool.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,926
    Hard press to see someone from the big brands though.

  13. #13
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Flats View Post
    Generally speaking, I think it's rare to interact with the people who design/build the stuff we buy. It sure doesn't happen with appliances, cars, groceries, etc. Not sure how it works with other hobbies/sports and forums.
    That probably has something to do with everything being made in china. Do you speak chinese?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  14. #14
    conjoinicorned
    Reputation: ferday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Sounds like there's several that are actually mtbr regulars I hadn't noticed. The ones that prompted me to OP were those that make a couple of posts after signing up then disappear. You can hardly tell they're even real.

    I obviously missed those who have been here for a long time that I don't know who they are in the real world. Their affiliation in their sig would certainly help as some already have. Despite my skepticism I have to agree that their participation enhances the talk on mtbr.
    Don't be too skeptical...one doesn't work in the bike industry for the $$$ and a good % of those who really love bikes have some sort of history with mtbr. Take everything on the Internet with a grain of salt for sure, but we're all here to celebrate riding in the end. I appreciate all of the industry posting, including the asshats!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    That probably has something to do with everything being made in china. Do you speak chinese?
    Hey, thanks for agreeing with part of the point I was trying to make, which is that in today's global economy, purchasing goods can sometimes be a soul-numbing, one-sided affair where our choice is dictated to us by faceless people motivated by shareholders and investors.

    And to answer your question, I don't speak Chinese. Which makes forums like this where consumers have the opportunity to interact with industry folks all the more valuable, don't you think?

    I also don't speak French, German, Japanese, Spanish, or Italian- languages spoken in countries where certain components hanging off my bikes were made. Let's not get into sweeping generalizations and say everything is made in China. I'd agree many things are made there, but not everything.

    + rep for you.

  16. #16
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,378
    Brant Richards of On-One, Ragley, Titus, Panet-X fame is a regular poster that not only contributes but stirs the pot just like a "regular" old user.

    Mike Ferrentino used to post here some too but haven't seen much of him since he took off to Santa Cruz bikes.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  17. #17
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Flats View Post
    Hey, thanks for agreeing with part of the point I was trying to make, which is that in today's global economy, purchasing goods can sometimes be a soul-numbing, one-sided affair where our choice is dictated to us by faceless people motivated by shareholders and investors.

    And to answer your question, I don't speak Chinese. Which makes forums like this where consumers have the opportunity to interact with industry folks all the more valuable, don't you think?

    I also don't speak French, German, Japanese, Spanish, or Italian- languages spoken in countries where certain components hanging off my bikes were made. Let's not get into sweeping generalizations and say everything is made in China. I'd agree many things are made there, but not everything.

    + rep for you.
    I think it works like this: most stuff is designed in whateverstan and made in china.
    But bikes are actually designed in countries we are familiar with, but still made in china. But at least one part of the chain speaks english. And its not this multi billion dollar businees for all companies, its kinda small potatos actually globally speaking so they have to interact to get the word out.

    I mean try chatting up one of the designers for the next new combined smartphone/toaster/toilet paper dispenser device from samsung. Thats just not going to happen.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

  18. #18
    Rabid Lana fan
    Reputation: net wurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,793
    I thought most of the frames came out of Taiwan, and not China?
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    And its not this multi billion dollar businees for all companies, its kinda small potatos actually globally speaking so they have to interact to get the word out.

    I mean try chatting up one of the designers for the next new combined smartphone/toaster/toilet paper dispenser device from samsung. Thats just not going to happen.
    Good point- "most" bike companies don't have multi-million dollar marketing budgets; to that end, it does make sense to build their brands on forums. As mentioned by rockcrusher, Brant at On-One is very good at this.

    And to net wurker- a good point well made. + 1 rep.

    My last point on this topic: As useful and informative as it is to see the industry tools get exposed, it's almost as much fun observing the undeserving get internet dog-piled. The most recent example I can think of was after Vroomen unveiled his $2700 Open carbon 29er. He may have made a few large claims in his press statements, but to me the reaction was OTT considering there are tons of more expensive hardtail frames in the high-end market, and the fact it was clear all the guy did was make a roadie bike for MTBers. At any rate, his comments and the way he defended his product were very entertaining.

  20. #20
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Reputation: car bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    I thought most of the frames came out of Taiwan, and not China?
    Taiwan = Republic of China
    China = People's Republic of China

    So the only difference is the word people here, and thats not a lot to be honest.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

    Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.