View Poll Results: Vote for or against a moratorium?

Voters
28. This poll is closed
  • Agreed.

18 64.29%
  • Nay

10 35.71%
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Poser/Newb/Snob Complaint Thread Moratorium :POLL

In light of all the recent BS evident over the past few weeks concerning peoples views on other peoples personal belongings, attitudes, and riding abilities, I propose a suggestion. I vote that all threads of this nature noticed by a moderator should be either closed and sent to the bin, or simply sent to the bin. I also vote that the rest of us should report said threads to the moderators for consideration for closing.

In the end what we think of other people is irellevant, since you cant fix stupid and people will continue to do what makes them happy. Lets keep this community civilized and enjoy the hobby.

Note: I debated for awhile to even make this thread as of being in fear of adding to the dilemma.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

AZ
    banned
    Agreed, too much vitriol and trolling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I agree, too much hate....BUT I disagree with stifling speech more... I'm in the "don't like it, don't open it" camp. So I gotta vote "nay".

banned
    Lock them down or neg rep them into oblivion, the first amendment does not apply to this site.

since 4/10/2009
    grr, now instead of binning that crap where it belongs, it's all getting moved here.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    grr, now instead of binning that crap where it belongs, it's all getting moved here.

appreciate the laugh
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by timdvm View Post
    I agree, too much hate....BUT I disagree with stifling speech more... I'm in the "don't like it, don't open it" camp. So I gotta vote "nay".
    You are more than welcome to post anything you want, you are more than welcome to say whatever you want. Just be prepared to find it in the recyling bin. The language filter comes closer to violating free speech than my proposal would.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    In light of all the recent BS evident over the past few weeks concerning peoples views on other peoples personal belongings, attitudes, and riding abilities, I propose a suggestion. I vote that all threads of this nature noticed by a moderator should be either closed and sent to the bin, or simply sent to the bin. I also vote that the rest of us should report said threads to the moderators for consideration for closing.

In the end what we think of other people is irellevant, since you cant fix stupid and people will continue to do what makes them happy. Lets keep this community civilized and enjoy the hobby.

Note: I debated for awhile to even make this thread as of being in fear of adding to the dilemma.
    Clearly you are a poser.....

AZ
    banned
    Can someone make the music stop while their at it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I dont know what music you are talking about. Unless you are reffering to the thousands of tiny violins being played to the sound of everyones complaining.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    While I enjoy a good troll beat down as much as anyone, would be better, IMO, if the population of 'em was thinned a bit and think the mods should take out the ban hammer more often. Or at least throw all the kaka threads in the bin and leave them open so trolls can get their fix and leave the rest of the site alone some.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Clearly you are a poser.....
    You caught me! All the poser bashing threads hurt my tiny ego and I want the bullies to go away.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Sweep the leg!
    What's a troll?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    What's a troll?
    A troll is a supernatural being in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore. In origin, one of the meanings of the term troll was a negative synonym for a jötunn (plural jötnar), a being in Norse mythology, although the word was also used about witches, berserkers and various other evil magical figures. In Old Norse sources, beings described as trolls dwell in isolated rocks, mountains, or caves, live together in small family units, and are rarely helpful to human beings.
    Later, in Scandinavian folklore, trolls became beings in their own right, where they live far from human habitation, are not Christianized, and are considered dangerous to human beings. Depending on the region from which accounts of trolls stem, their appearance varies greatly; trolls may be ugly and slow-witted or look and behave exactly like human beings, with no particularly grotesque characteristic about them. Trolls are sometimes associated with particular landmarks, which at times may be explained as formed from a troll exposed to sunlight. One of the most famous elements of Scandinavian folklore, trolls are depicted in a variety of media in modern popular culture.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

poser Administrator
    What's a troll?
    The Troll Hunter - Official Trailer - YouTube

if you haven't seen the movie see it. It is streaming on netflix, definitely worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post

I tire of the divisiveness of the forums. Seemed when I came here in the early millennium, the forum was pretty much just puppies and bubble gum. People contributed, there were some harsh people, especially to the newbs to the forum, but all in all it was a good group of people. DH and mountain bikers were pretty much the 2 "factions". As the decades have passed it seems we have become as divided as a hobby can be. Most hobbies, past times, sports have a few division: Road biking: enthusiast, racing, touring, fixed, singlespeed, recreational but they are ride variants of the same bikes. some ride the same bikes.

But mountain biking is so divided. Each segment is becoming more and more specialized. FR bikes aren't particularly suited for DH riding any more nor AM riding nor park riding. Park bikes are particularly well suited to DJ or Fr riding anymore. AM is divided into light AM or Trail riding and more stunt filled technical riding, almost Freeride Light. Trail riding is divided into those that ride at race paces and trails and those that explore more of the mountain and those that go over night and those that ride with only one gear. Racing is divided into those that go long and those that go short and fast. Fat bikes are slowly becoming divided between those that go for max flotation and those that are looking for more grip and rockcrawling ability. Vintage guys are split between those that maintain a perfect era specimen and those that have a vintage bike but add modern conveniences where needed to make it more usable. Rigid rider try to fit in everywhere.

Sadly all this division just makes it more likely that someone out there in internet land needs to justify his decision. How do they do that in the easiest way possible? They put other decisions down.

There was time when people didn't understand the natural world so they created dieties that controlled the things they didn't understand, the god of thunder, the god of the sea, etc. This is the same. You might not understand why I don't have a 6" travel bike but you do and it is the best thing that you have ever ridden so it is easy to explain away why I don't listen to your praise, sell my bike and buy a 6" travel bike as me being an idiot.

As others have mentioned: don't sweat the idiots. don't feed the trolls and rep means exactly the sum total of how much you have paid for it: zilch.

I judge a member by the sum total of their contributions to the site, whether they have 6000 posts or 60.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

Titanium junkie
    I'm late here, but, yeah what he said^^^^^
    Climb into the sky, never wonder why - Tailgunner
    You're a Tailgunner

No. Just No.
    I think I want to have an open relationship with rockcrusher.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I tire of the divisiveness of the forums. Seemed when I came here in the early millennium, the forum was pretty much just puppies and bubble gum. People contributed, there were some harsh people, especially to the newbs to the forum, but all in all it was a good group of people. DH and mountain bikers were pretty much the 2 "factions". As the decades have passed it seems we have become as divided as a hobby can be. Most hobbies, past times, sports have a few division: Road biking: enthusiast, racing, touring, fixed, singlespeed, recreational but they are ride variants of the same bikes. some ride the same bikes.

But mountain biking is so divided. Each segment is becoming more and more specialized. FR bikes aren't particularly suited for DH riding any more nor AM riding nor park riding. Park bikes are particularly well suited to DJ or Fr riding anymore. AM is divided into light AM or Trail riding and more stunt filled technical riding, almost Freeride Light. Trail riding is divided into those that ride at race paces and trails and those that explore more of the mountain and those that go over night and those that ride with only one gear. Racing is divided into those that go long and those that go short and fast. Fat bikes are slowly becoming divided between those that go for max flotation and those that are looking for more grip and rockcrawling ability. Vintage guys are split between those that maintain a perfect era specimen and those that have a vintage bike but add modern conveniences where needed to make it more usable. Rigid rider try to fit in everywhere.

Sadly all this division just makes it more likely that someone out there in internet land needs to justify his decision. How do they do that in the easiest way possible? They put other decisions down.

There was time when people didn't understand the natural world so they created dieties that controlled the things they didn't understand, the god of thunder, the god of the sea, etc. This is the same. You might not understand why I don't have a 6" travel bike but you do and it is the best thing that you have ever ridden so it is easy to explain away why I don't listen to your praise, sell my bike and buy a 6" travel bike as me being an idiot.

As others have mentioned: don't sweat the idiots. don't feed the trolls and rep means exactly the sum total of how much you have paid for it: zilch.

I judge a member by the sum total of their contributions to the site, whether they have 6000 posts or 60.

Suckin wind like a boss
    The Troll Hunter - Official Trailer - YouTube

if you haven't seen the movie see it. It is streaming on netflix, definitely worth a watch.
    holy crap that looks like the next best thing since Dead Snow! i know what im downloading tonight!

And by the way, just to stay on topic... i voted for the moratorium but it was accidental. i dont think there should be. let people say whatever dumb **** they want, and let the rest of the people give em red chiclets for it. who cares? theres always this-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poser/Newb/Snob Complaint Thread Moratorium :POLL-butthurt-lol.jpg  

since 4/10/2009
    That trollhunter movie is great. I've watched a number of scandinavian movies lately and they do good work up there

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    What's a troll?
    Ride 25 miles west; the answer is waiting.

@ Nubster LOL!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLEo7H9tqSM]

Excellent words!

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    I'm late here, but, yeah what he said^^^^^
    Has anyone accused you of having a mind of your own?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Trolls are sometimes associated with particular landmarks, which at times may be explained as formed from a troll exposed to sunlight.
    Well then that explains it. MTBR is a peculiar landmark and the members in question never get outside and ride bikes. If they did go ride they'd be exposed to sunlight and that'd be the end of them.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

I ride brikes, dingus'
    You're not lost if you don't care where you are--- Tom Massie

Members who have read this thread: 0