Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?

So I am active on quite a few other forums (not mtn. bike related). The one in general, people post random threads just to get people all rustled. Recently it seems there have been a few threads about how dangerous pit bulls are. What is everyone's general consensus on the pit bull breed? Are you scared of them? Do you think they should be banned? If so, what are your reasons? Do you own a pit? Would you own one? I personally own a pit and she is the biggest baby in the world. I have recently received a lot of flack on this other forum for defending the breed. I am not the only one defending it, but there aren't many that are. And the vast majority of people are just saying they are monsters and will kill if given the chance. I have been called a bad parent for having my 17 month old daughter around our dog as well. Just thought I would get some thoughts from some more educated individuals instead of a bunch of mouthy idiots that seem to frequent this other forum. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Klurejr; 04-08-2015 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Title Change

mtbr member
    I'm exceedingly careful around them. My Schnauzer was attacked by one. There was no provocation and virtually no warning. The Pit simple stood up a little straighter and executed a bite to the head. The speed at which the attack occurred is something that you cannot fathom unless you witness it. In addition, once the Pit bites down, short of having a gun/hammer/axe, there isn't shit you can do to get those jaws open. The pit never did let go of my Schnauzers head, the teeth finally ripped through the skin. After fixing the damage, my vet's response was "that's what Pits do."

I fully acknowledge that some Pits are exceedingly nice and loveable. I think it was Cesar Milan who wrote about the history of the breed and it did not have it's current reputation even as late at the 1970's. All dogs can snap, but when a Pit does, the repercussions are higher. Even the ones that attack people are not evil or even vicious, it's just what their genes are telling them to do. If the last 10 generations of breeding of the Pit in question was for the purpose of creating a loveable companion, I'd feel pretty safe with the dog. If the breeders were trying to create a better fighting dog, or if one doesn't know the history of the breedings, the owner best be careful.

This experience is from living on a reservation and in Albuquerque, YMMV.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Working in law enforcement, every dog call we get is a "vicious horrible roid-raging" pit. I've come across awesome pits, and I've come across "you're about to die" pits, I really don't know what the difference is. I've heard it's the owner, but I've seen first hand, good people get attacked by their dog on a whim, and I've seen shit owners with the most loving dog. Perhaps its blood lines, or a combination.

I wouldn't own one, and I'm not very trusting of them in public (I profile, it happens, and it doesn't stop with dogs). Reading reports about young children killed by their own dog, and seeing the stats of pit bull fatal attacks rising each year (67% of fatal attacks 2014) should at least be enough to raise an eye brow.

As for people calling you a bad parent, I don't agree with that, as you're the only one who can judge your child's safety and risks you want to take. I've been called a bad parent because I let my 12,13 year olds mountain bike and take sketchy lines at their own discretion instead of holding their hand through it all (there are limits, however). And I do agree with the above statement that pit bull attacks are more severe. Many attacks stem from territory issue, tension, nervousness etc, however it seems when a pit bull attacks, it's main objective is to kill.
    '14 SC Tallboy
    '19 Specialized Fuse 6fattie

check your six
    Any dog, or animal for that matter, is a product of its environment. If you teach a doto be mean and protective, it will be. If you teach it to me soft and gentle, it will be. Some animals have more of a temper than others though.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Ride More, Work Less

Pit Bulls - A Viscious Disgusting Breed

My uncle had pit bulls when I was growing up. They played by tossing 4 foot 4x4s in the air. Their strength is amazing; their temperament is a bit unstable. They respect the alpha/pack. The problem is new children to the family may not be higher in the pack.

Just like any dog, there are risks and trusts. If you are at a place where you are trusting, then that is great.

By the way, each generation has had its feared dog. Bull dogs, Doberman's and German Sheppards, etc. The meanest dog I have had was a cocker spaniel. That dog would bite you if you looked at it funny. The difference between the cocker and a pit is when the cocker bites you, you get upset. When a pit bites you, it could mean the loss of a limb or life.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I understand that when a pit does bite, the consequences can be more severe. I am not arguing against that fact. It is well known that they have the 2nd strongest bite behind a Shepherd. What I am arguing is that they can be trained not to be that way. If they are raised with proper socialization and training they are excellent dogs. People also have a misconception that they just snap for no reason. I understand you may think this way, but there is something going on that causes them to do this. A loving, loyal and obedient dog doesn't just lash out for no reason. They are either provoked or the owner was doing something wrong to begin with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Think of how a human can act. People that all of a sudden go and shoot up a school or theatre. They don't just do it on a whim. It is premeditated. They have either been abused or neglected in the past. They likely have had mental health issues from this type of treatment. A dog feels these things too. If they are being treated poorly, neglected or abused. It wears on a dog just like it does a human. And then boom, someone shoots up a school because they have had enough, or a pit bites the next person it sees because its owner beats it and it sees all humans as a threat.

Ride More, Work Less
    Sorry, I thought this was a legitimate thread and not a trolling thread.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Sorry, I thought this was a legitimate thread and not a trolling thread.
    It isn't a trolling thread. Care to elaborate?

mtbr member
    Have had pits/ Ime they are loyal, courageous, fearless, love life and are very eager to please. If you are not a threat the only danger you'r in is being pinned down and licked to death. I'd trust my pits with children before i'd trust my Lab anyday. They also have a sense of aura that is unmatched.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by porkpistol View Post
    It isn't a trolling thread. Care to elaborate?
    Shall we start with your choice of a title?
    In the end it's common sense, so why make a thread that is just going to start a flame war. Anyone who has common sense and knows pits knows they are capable of much damage, and are eager to please. So how they behave is largely dependent on how they'r raised. And no duh, sometimes you get one that just likes to start sh!t for no reason.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by theMeat View Post
    Shall we start with your choice of a title?
    In the end it's common sense, so why make a thread that is just going to start a flame war. Anyone who has common sense and knows pits knows they are capable of much damage, and are eager to please. So how they behave is largely dependent on how they'r raised. And no duh, sometimes you get one that just likes to start sh!t for no reason.
    The thread title was to get people to come in here. If it turns into a flame war then I will just stop posting. If people can't keep it civilized, it isn't my problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    "if you own a pit bull with a toddler in the house you are a terrible parent."

Quoted directly from another forum. LOL I just don't understand people's logic?

Rabid Lana Fan
    Every Pit I ever met has a real sweetie!
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Ride More, Work Less
    I have two arm pits.

mtbr member
    I have two arm pits.
    LOL me too, and they can be disgusting, and i guess vicious sometimes also

check this out...

Round and round we go

EMBA Member
    Dumb troll thread. How's that for logic?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I can see all of you besides the few that actually contributed legitimate responses are incapable of having a discussion too. No intentions on trolling. If you can't post legit responses without getting all butt-hurt then just go somewhere else. Seriously people are so stupid sometimes.

Ride More, Work Less
    Just thought I would get some thoughts from some more educated individuals instead of a bunch of mouthy idiots that seem to frequent this other forum. Thoughts?
    I think this is where you went wrong--your expectations were too high.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    'Pitbull' is not a breed.

Meatbomb
    I was bit by a pit bull. Owner told me he was safe when i asked if i could pet it. I squatted down and gave him a pat on the shoulder and he took a chunk out of my cheek and ear.

I love all dogs but do not trust pits.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    As a young adult I had a roommate that had an [Pit Bull] American Staffordshire Terrier. He was a very large one with a wide chest, which in the end was his undoing. Later after my roommate moved back to his large rich parents house on a lake. Someone broke in and stole ONLY the dog. The cops said he was stolen for fighting purposes. He was never seen again.

My experience living with that dog for 3 years. He was very intimidating knowing the damage he could do if he turned, but he was a sweetheart.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 882
Size:  68.6 KB
    This is exactly what Butch looked like. And he had the build stature as a perfect fighting dog, unfortunately! Poor Butchy, I cringe to think of what happened to him after he was stolen.

I grew up with dogs and very few ever intimidated me. But this one did because of his stature and strength. Although this guy was just a big baby and had a very unique personality. The type of personality I have never witnessed in any other dog since. My friend [his master] had an old pickup that had a bench seat. This dog would ride in the passenger seat sitting upright with his arm on the armrest like a human. Our yard had a 6' wooden fence in the back and as soon as he detected something on the other side, he would jump from a still position straight up. Managing to get his front paws over. His ankle joint would lock and in one motion he would do a pull up and get up and over the fence. We had to chain him inside of a 6' wooden fence enclosure to prevent this escape. Another crazy personality trait was he loved to drop cows. Yes seriously my roommate always told the story of how he would drop a bunch of cows. I couldn't believe what he was telling me until I saw it for myself. We went out to a pasture full of cows one day and he let Butch lose. The dog would run up behind a cow and bite the his hamstring and the cow would collapse to the ground. He only used enough pressure to drop the cow and not draw blood. The cow would fall and then he would run to another one and do it again. It was like a game to him. Never harming the cows other than giving them bad dreams.

He had many unique traits and was just a sweetheart of a dog. But knowing the capabilities he had if he did turn scared the crap out of me. Extremely strong but also very loyal. We once left for a weekend and left him in the house. We left the small door leading to the garage open so he could use the garage as a bathroom. We came home and he had taken 6 craps encircling our dining room table. The little smart ass was obviously mad for being left home that he vengefully crapped where we ate. And on that same weekend we were gone he went in the garage and jumped all over my freshly painted GTO and scratched it up and down on both sides.

We used to have house parties and old Butch would kindly pinpoint the girls on their period. He would go up and sniff and then roll his lips in a distinct way. We knew what he was doing because my roommates girlfriend caught on to his behavior every time she was on her period. Crazy dog!

Amazing strength, my friend would use a 4"x 4" x 3' long piece of lumber to strengthen him. The dog would latch on to the timber and my buddy would lift him up in the air and swing him around in circles. The dog would never let go until he was brought back down to the ground. That's serious jaw strength and muscular body. And quite scary if he ever bit someone. We used to punch him in the shoulders and it wouldn't even phase him.

A sweetheart of a dog with a unique personality. But the breed was bred for fighting over centuries and they will always have that in them. The majority of Pit attacks on humans are from dogs that are neglected and abused. But even a well taken cared for and loved Pit could possibly snap one day for no apparent reason. Because of their long inbred fighting history, the percentage of those loved dogs doing this is very low, but it is possible. I think it sucks that the human race bred them this way which in turn will be their undoing. Kind of ironic that my friends Pit was such a sweetheart but because of his menacing stature was ultimately stolen for fighting purposes.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-07-2015 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

I'm just messing with you
    I'm not concerned over any particular breed, just certain dogs. Have to meet them to know them though. Just like people, there's good and bad ones everywhere.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    What breed are we discussing again? I have yet to hear a legitimate breed mentioned. Ignorance is a poor basis for discussion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    What breed are we discussing again? I have yet to hear a legitimate breed mentioned. Ignorance is a poor basis for discussion.
    APBT, American Bull dog, the Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier or any other breed associated with them. You know as well as I do when someone has a bad encounter with one of these even if it's mixed with a damn pug, if it looks like any of the above they associate it with pit bull.

mtbr member
    i always thought pits were sweeter than rotts. case by case for me though on pits. i've met a few on trail while workin and riding and all sweet as can be. any dog might/can have a trigger to bite

J:
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    As a young adult I had a roommate that had an [Pit Bull] American Staffordshire Terrier. He was a very large one with a wide chest, which in the end was his undoing. Later after my roommate moved back to his large rich parents house on a lake. Someone broke in and stole ONLY the dog. The cops said he was stolen for fighting purposes. He was never seen again.

My experience living with that dog for 3 years. He was very intimidating knowing the damage he could do if he turned, but he was a sweetheart.

This is exactly what Butch looked like. And he had the build stature as a perfect fighting dog, unfortunately! Poor Butchy, I cringe to think of what happened to him after he was stolen.

I grew up with dogs and very few ever intimidated me. But this one did because of his stature and strength. Although this guy was just a big baby and had a very unique personality. The type of personality I have never witnessed in any other dog since. My friend [his master] had an old pickup that had a bench seat. This dog would ride in the passenger seat sitting upright with his arm on the armrest like a human. Our yard had a 6' wooden fence in the back and as soon as he detected something on the other side, he would jump from a still position straight up. Managing to get his front paws over. His ankle joint would lock and in one motion he would do a pull up and get up and over the fence. We had to chain him inside of a 6' wooden fence enclosure to prevent this escape. Another crazy personality trait was he loved to drop cows. Yes seriously my roommate always told the story of how he would drop a bunch of cows. I couldn't believe what he was telling me until I saw it for myself. We went out to a pasture full of cows one day and he let Butch lose. The dog would run up behind a cow and bite the his hamstring and the cow would collapse to the ground. He only used enough pressure to drop the cow and not draw blood. The cow would fall and then he would run to another one and do it again. It was like a game to him. Never harming the cows other than giving them bad dreams.

He had many unique traits and was just a sweetheart of a dog. But knowing the capabilities he had if he did turn scared the crap out of me. Extremely strong but also very loyal. We once left for a weekend and left him in the house. We left the small door leading to the garage open so he could use the garage as a bathroom. We came home and he had taken 6 craps encircling our dining room table. The little smart ass was obviously mad for being left home that he vengefully crapped where we ate. And on that same weekend we were gone he went in the garage and jumped all over my freshly painted GTO and scratched it up and down on both sides.

We used to have house parties and old Butch would kindly pinpoint the girls on their period. He would go up and sniff and then roll his lips in a distinct way. We knew what he was doing because my roommates girlfriend caught on to his behavior every time she was on her period. Crazy dog!

Amazing strength, my friend would use a 4"x 4" x 3' long piece of lumber to strengthen him. The dog would latch on to the timber and my buddy would lift him up in the air and swing him around in circles. The dog would never let go until he was brought back down to the ground. That's serious jaw strength and muscular body. And quite scary if he ever bit someone. We used to punch him in the shoulders and it wouldn't even phase him.

A sweetheart of a dog with a unique personality. But the breed was bred for fighting over centuries and they will always have that in them. The majority of Pit attacks on humans are from dogs that are neglected and abused. But even a well taken cared for and loved Pit could possibly snap one day for no apparent reason. Because of their long inbred fighting history, the percentage of those loved dogs doing this is very low, but it is possible. I think it sucks that the human race bred them this way which in turn will be their undoing. Kind of ironic that my friends Pit was such a sweetheart but because of his menacing stature was ultimately stolen for fighting purposes.
    great post, I rep you with one of theseName:  972783d1426113562-2015-canfield-brothers-riot-29er-fs-971971d1426113562-roll-call-all-26er-rider.png
Views: 330
Size:  3.5 KB
    Last edited by Deerhill; 04-07-2015 at 04:58 PM.
    video=youtube;][/video]...

J:
    APBT, American Bull dog, the Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier, and the Staffordshire Bull Terrier or any other breed associated with them. You know as well as I do when someone has a bad encounter with one of these even if it's mixed with a damn pug, if it looks like any of the above they associate it with pit bull.
    Or American Bully. Do a search and you will see more and more mixes popping up that look like the damn dog is on steroids.. it is the breeders that need to be put in check just as much as the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    great post, I rep you with one of theseName:  972783d1426113562-2015-canfield-brothers-riot-29er-fs-971971d1426113562-roll-call-all-26er-rider.png
Views: 330
    Thanks! I since edited it to make sense. It was originally written with my crap cell phone and a dead battery.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Exactly. There is no breed called 'pit bull.' That doesn't stop people from demonizing a breed that doesn't exist though.

Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    i always thought pits were sweeter than rotts. case by case for me though on pits. i've met a few on trail while workin and riding and all sweet as can be. any dog might/can have a trigger to bite
    On average I would agree. Rots are much more unpredictable in my experience.

J:

Shar Pei

Here is a good example of breeding that has gone too damn far. The poor dog has to deal with painful bacterial growth and skin infections just because of the whim of some breeders that liked the "wrinkled look".
    Name:  wrinkled-shar-pei.jpg
Views: 2938
Size:  39.2 KB

Exactly. There is no breed called 'pit bull.' That doesn't stop people from demonizing a breed that doesn't exist though.
    The term Pit Bull became a slang short term for the American Staffordshire Terrier. We all know what breed we are talking about. Sure there are many mixed mutts with some Pit in them and unfortunately get labeled as such.

Here is a good example of breeding that has gone too damn far. The poor dog has to deal with painful bacterial growth and skin infections just because of the whim of some breeders that liked the "wrinkled look".
    Name:  wrinkled-shar-pei.jpg
Views: 2938
Size:  39.2 KB
    Yep I agree, many breeds are bred way too far to please the greedy humans appetite.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The term Pit Bull became a slang short term for the American Staffordshire Terrier. We all know what breed we are talking about. Sure there are many mixed mutts with some Pit in them and unfortunately get labeled as such.
    So is an American Pit Bull Terrier not a 'pitbull?' How about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? The point is that term does not refer to a breed, it refers to a collection of breeds. Inclusion in this category, which does not exist in any technical sense, is totally up for interpretation and is generally just used to incite irrational fear.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Someday he'll get the hang of it.

Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Someday he'll get the hang of it.

Hilarious! Persistent little dude.

Meatbomb
    Be very careful of the chiweenies.. They are the real killer in the mix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?-20150118_163355.jpg  

mtbr member
    I understand that when a pit does bite, the consequences can be more severe. I am not arguing against that fact. It is well known that they have the 2nd strongest bite behind a Shepherd. What I am arguing is that they can be trained not to be that way. If they are raised with proper socialization and training they are excellent dogs.
    Still not sure if this is a legit thread, but ...

this is the problem with some of these larger breeds. IF trained properly, I don't have an issue. IF not trained properly, there could be devastating consequences, whereas a smaller/less strong breed can't do the same damage if not properly trained.

The problem is, I have no way of knowing whether that dog running around unleashed at the park around my kids is well trained or not, and there is no requirement that someone buying a 'pit bull' train it properly.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    So is an American Pit Bull Terrier not a 'pitbull?' How about a Staffordshire Bull Terrier? The point is that term does not refer to a breed, it refers to a collection of breeds. Inclusion in this category, which does not exist in any technical sense, is totally up for interpretation and is generally just used to incite irrational fear.
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ull+definition

They are known for their strength and stamina, incase you weren't aware, except their stamina isn't that good. They are good for a dozen or 2 good lunges then their legs start to cramp, and if the dog they'r fighting can escape their jaws with those first lunges, the other dog will often win once the pit's legs cramp.
    The original english version, the Staffordshire bull terrier, is where all pit breeds originated from, and they were known as the nanny dog because they'r so good with kids. I had an original version and can attest to their nannyness. There also is alot of bs floating around that they were not known as the nanny dog, and that it was just another rumor to sell more pits. Petey from the little rascals was one of the first pits to come to the usa, and it is also the number 1 dog in aussie, as the lab is in the usa.
    Round and round we go

For this conversation the term Pit Bull will be used as slang, deal with it.

There is a number of mutts out there that have some American Staffordshire Bull Terrier [Pit Bull] in them. So they get labeled a Pit Bull. The breed was bred over centuries for the sole purpose of fighting. Hence the muscular build and amazing jaw structure. You can't deny centuries of breeding for fighting. It's in their bloodline / DNA . Who's to know with even a well loved and adjusted Pit Bull that for some unbeknown reason he snaps and reverts back to what has driven his ancestors for years. It's an unfortunate circumstance that humans were so greedy to create such a breed that unfortunately will be their ultimate undoing.

And by the way I've loved every one I've come to know. Unfortunately there is no denying their bloodline.

mtbr member
    There is a number of mutts out there that have some American Staffordshire Bull Terrier [Pit Bull] in them. So they get labeled a Pit Bull. The breed was bred over centuries for the sole purpose of fighting. Hence the muscular build and amazing jaw structure. You can't deny centuries of breeding for fighting. It's in their bloodline / DNA . Who's to know with even a well loved and adjusted Pit Bull that for some unbeknown reason he snaps and reverts back to what has driven his ancestors for years. It's an unfortunate circumstance that humans were so greedy to create such a breed that unfortunately will be their ultimate undoing.
    Pits have only been breed since the 40s or so. Their bloodline came from mixing various terriers with the old english bulldog. The old english bulldog was breed for fighting for centuries, and at one point it was illegal to have them in public, chained or not. They have since been breed down so much they are so easy going they can hardly hold in their poop.
    Round and round we go

Meatbomb
    If they are such an easy going and non threatening breed the insurance companies must be way off base when they deny coverage to homeowners that own them. I assume they do that because the risk reward ratio does not look good.

Pits have only been breed since the 50s or so. Their bloodline came from mixing various terriers with the old english bulldog. The old english bulldog was breed for fighting for centuries, and at one point it was illegal to have them in public, chained or not. They have since been breed down so much they are so easy going they can hardly hold in their poop.
    Read my lengthy post of my thoughts on the breed. I have loved every one I've come to know. The one I really became to know was a big dude. And was ultimately stolen because of his stature for fighting purposes. I don't care what anyone says a full blown Pit has serious damage capabilities, although mostly very friendly. If they did turn to what's in their undeniable bloodline their will be serious consequences. If you've ever been close to a full bred big chested Pit then you would know the strength and amazing fighting capabilities they possess. It all comes down to human greed creating the breed. Obviously a well adjusted loved Pit will most likely never revert back to it's bloodlines but who's to say they don't have it in them, it's ignorant to think so.

Rabid Lana Fan
    ^ same thing goes for humans ^

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ull+definition

They are known for their strength and stamina, incase you weren't aware, except their stamina isn't that good. They are good for a dozen or 2 good lunges then their legs start to cramp, and if the dog they'r fighting can escape their jaws with those first lunges, the other dog will often win once the pit's legs cramp.
    The original english version, the Staffordshire bull terrier, is where all pit breeds originated from, and they were known as the nanny dog because they'r so good with kids. I had an original version and can attest to their nannyness. There also is alot of bs floating around that they were not known as the nanny dog, and that it was just another rumor to sell more pits. Petey from the little rascals was one of the first pits to come to the usa, and it is also the number 1 dog in aussie, as the lab is in the usa.
    That link didn't work... But I've done plenty of reading, there is no 'pit bull' breed. Most seem to include around five breeds in that category, but it has no official meaning. There is no such thing, from a veterinary standpoint, as a 'pitbull.'

And by the way I've loved every one I've come to know. Unfortunately there is no denying their bloodline.
    They were actually initially bred to help control the bears and bulls that were used in various blood sports in Britain. Fighting them wasn't introduced until later, when the breeds were already established.

Pits have only been breed since the 40s or so. Their bloodline came from mixing various terriers with the old english bulldog. The old english bulldog was breed for fighting for centuries, and at one point it was illegal to have them in public, chained or not. They have since been breed down so much they are so easy going they can hardly hold in their poop.
    That's not true. Some of the breeds considered 'pitbulls' date back to the early 1800s.

^ same thing goes for humans ^
    The ones that were bred solely for fighting purposes.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    The ones that were bred solely for fighting purposes.
    Charles Darwin might argue that that's all of us.

Obviously everyone has a different opinion on this subject. And no matter what is said there's always someone that's going to butt heads with your opinion. So I wash my hands right now, have fun arguing boys.

Charles Darwin might argue that that's all of us.
    True!
    We as a race are pretty focked up.

mtbr member
    slowly finding out about Ozzy's bite force. he's been lethal against the dyson. he's a 7mo old bear in a dog outfit.
    Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?-ozzy4.jpg

They were actually initially bred to help control the bears and bulls that were used in various blood sports in Britain. Fighting them wasn't introduced until later, when the breeds were already established
    Which make them even more of the ultimate weapon. "Bred to control bears and bulls that were used in various blood sports". So they were bred to be a badass breed and then later for fighting. Sounds like the ideal pet to me.

I'm so on the fence because all the ones I've known were so awesome with great personalities. Unfortunately there's no denying the bloodline and what they are capable of if they did revert back.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by 53119 View Post
    slowly finding out about Ozzy's bite force. he's been lethal against the dyson. he's a 7mo old bear in a dog outfit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ozzy4.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	979254
    Ozzy's a good lookin' fella!

We had a rescue Shepherd a couple years ago...he was awesome! We took him at about 8 months old to get 'fixed', and he died on the operating table. Almost three years ago, and we're still missing him every day!

mtbr member
    Obviously everyone has a different opinion on this subject. And no matter what is said there's always someone that's going to butt heads with your opinion. So I wash my hands right now, have fun arguing boys.
    Wasn't arguing, just pointing out some stuff. Very good point ^ btw.
    Round and round we go

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Which make them even more of the ultimate weapon. "Bred to control bears and bulls that were used in various blood sports". So they were bred to be a badass breed and then later for fighting. Sounds like the ideal pet to me.

I'm so on the fence because all the ones I've known were so awesome with great personalities. Unfortunately there's no denying the bloodline and what they are capable of if they did revert back.
    The way I see it, the breeding produced the physique... Socialization produces the temperament. Genetics can play a role in temperament as well, but not nearly as much so as upbringing.

I once knew a guy who knew some dog fighting enthusiasts when he was younger. He told me the way you train a dog to fight is keep it in a kennel in a garage for the first two years of its life. You only let it out of the kennel to feed it and train (basically just bite strength and stamina exercises) and you personally are the only human the dog sees. By doing so, you don't create a mean animal; you create a fearful animal. It reacts to new stimuli (which for this dog is nearly all stimuli) instinctively out of fear.

My dog is a mix that almost certainly has some form of 'pitbull' included. He was raised in a college house with a ton of people coming and going constantly. As a result, he is insanely friendly to the point that he just doesn't understand that some people are not his friends. He is always happy to meet people and always friendly and gentle. I wonder if he'd even react if someone broke in at night... Perhaps not, he's too well socialized.

Dogs are a liability. They are wild animals. A close family member was bitten by a poodle-looking mix when I was a kid... It was really bad and continues to have an impact now, nearly two decades later. All dogs pose a threat and should be treated as such.

(For the record, we're not disagreeing here... Just kind of arriving at the same conclusion from different angles.)

mtbr member
    love that vid of them. whoa- that's sad, net. we're takin ozzy in a few months or so to do the same. mind if i ask what happened? understand if you'd rather not though..

J:
    Sweet lookong dog, I want to hear what happened too^^

Rabid Lana Fan
    His heart just stopped. I don't blame the vet, there is always a risk involved with anesthesia.

Also, a contributing factor may have been Chopper's initial few weeks of life. He came from a poor home, where the people decided to breed their adult German Shepherd. They had no money to take the puppys to the vet. Chopper was the last one left, they managed to give two away and two more died within three weeks of the litter being born. We agreed to take him in....he was 5 weeks old, and very sick. He had worms and they vet told us that every bit of food he was taking in, the worms were robbing him of any nutrition. He almost died from that.

But we managed to nurse him to good health (but maybe a lingering heart condition?). I have always just had any pets we have ever had fixed, without a second thought. Next time around, I might have second thoughts.

I often wonder if I wasn't so in a rush to "get him fixed", maybe he would still be with us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?-522888_3966341207773_44350982_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    His heart just stopped. I don't blame the vet, there is always a risk involved with anesthesia.

Also, a contributing factor may have been Chopper's initial few weeks of life. He came from a poor home, where the people decided to breed their adult German Shepherd. They had no money to take the puppys to the vet. Chopper was the last one left, they managed to give two away and two more died within three weeks of the litter being born. We agreed to take him in....he was 5 weeks old, and very sick. He had worms and they vet told us that every bit of food he was taking in, the worms were robbing him of any nutrition. He almost died from that.

But we managed to nurse him to good health (but maybe a lingering heart condition?). I have always just had any pets we have ever had fixed, without a second thought. Next time around, I might have second thoughts.

I often wonder if I wasn't so in a rush to "get him fixed", maybe he would still be with us.
    oh, man. sorry, to hear that. I know there are risks and always have gotten nervous when my dogs have had to go under. i know the mrs and i are talking bout waiting a little longer than the vet recommends with ozzy. we got him at 13wks and so far has been very healthy. one thing sure, they give way more unconditionally to us than we realize sometimes. he was a handsome dude. rip chopper. thnx, net.

Rabid Lana Fan
    He was so cool, I'm sure I'll have another German Shepherd sooner or later.

Tell Ozzy Net and Jett said "hi".

True! We as a race are pretty focked up.
    Species, not race
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member
    I've only seen pit bulls once. I asked the guy about the breed and he said his was really sweet and loved the attention. She was happy to have a quick pet and I walked away. The other guy said his was more stand-offish and not to pet him. Gorgeous dogs and full of strength, power and beauty.

My sister has three giant German Shepherds that are the long haired variety. Those dogs scare the crap out of me. She says they are big babies but when Thunder started barking at some other dogs, he was truly pissed off. Her middle dog Kodie seems very sweet.

I only met them because she does some kind of training (can't think of the name) where you go through walking the dog next to you and then having him stay in a certain place. Hers didn't make it because he wouldn't stay.

The rest of the training consisted of the dog picking up barbells and doing an obstacle course. Then attacking a trainer with padded clothing and then running another obstacle course looking for a person. When the dog found the person he would stop and bark. Neat training but it's a lot of work.

Hers don't have a lot of socialization skills so I'm wary of them.

My husband used to work for animal control and got a call from the police to come and get a German Shepherd that they'd found after a drug raid. He shows up and the dog is barking ferociously with several police looking scared to death. Hubby calmly said, "Hey boy. How are you doing? Come here" and the dog stopped barking, ran over to him and happily got into the van. The police had been there about 20 minutes trying to decide what to do with the dog.

It's hard to tell with dogs. Some are great and others aren't. The only ones I don't like are the ones that chase me down the road because the owner can't be bothered to keep them safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany1 View Post
    My husband used to work for animal control and got a call from the police to come and get a German Shepherd that they'd found after a drug raid. He shows up and the dog is barking ferociously with several police looking scared to death. Hubby calmly said, "Hey boy. How are you doing? Come here" and the dog stopped barking, ran over to him and happily got into the van. The police had been there about 20 minutes trying to decide what to do with the dog. It's hard to tell with dogs. Some are great and others aren't. The only ones I don't like are the ones that chase me down the road because the owner can't be bothered to keep them safe.
    Similar to your story about the drug raid, I talk to chasing dogs. It doesn't hurt to yell "SIT" at them either. It confuses the crap out of dogs that are trained to know what that means.

Wasn't arguing, just pointing out some stuff. Very good point ^ btw.
    Same here, no arguing just more opinions and I can respect that.

The way I see it, the breeding produced the physique... Socialization produces the temperament. Genetics can play a role in temperament as well, but not nearly as much so as upbringing.

I once knew a guy who knew some dog fighting enthusiasts when he was younger. He told me the way you train a dog to fight is keep it in a kennel in a garage for the first two years of its life. You only let it out of the kennel to feed it and train (basically just bite strength and stamina exercises) and you personally are the only human the dog sees. By doing so, you don't create a mean animal; you create a fearful animal. It reacts to new stimuli (which for this dog is nearly all stimuli) instinctively out of fear.

My dog is a mix that almost certainly has some form of 'pitbull' included. He was raised in a college house with a ton of people coming and going constantly. As a result, he is insanely friendly to the point that he just doesn't understand that some people are not his friends. He is always happy to meet people and always friendly and gentle. I wonder if he'd even react if someone broke in at night... Perhaps not, he's too well socialized.

Dogs are a liability. They are wild animals. A close family member was bitten by a poodle-looking mix when I was a kid... It was really bad and continues to have an impact now, nearly two decades later. All dogs pose a threat and should be treated as such.

(For the record, we're not disagreeing here... Just kind of arriving at the same conclusion from different angles.)
    Exactly, and I respect what you're saying,

Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob View Post
    Similar to your story about the drug raid, I talk to chasing dogs. It doesn't hurt to yell "SIT" at them either. It confuses the crap out of dogs that are trained to know what that means.
    If a German Shepard charges, you best brush up in your German. Seriously some German Shepard's only react to German commands. The good watch dogs are bred and trained in Germany.

Ozzy's a good lookin' fella!

We had a rescue Shepherd a couple years ago...he was awesome! We took him at about 8 months old to get 'fixed', and he died on the operating table. Almost three years ago, and we're still missing him every day!

Sorry to hear that Net. Such a traumatic experience losing your little buddy.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Sorry to hear that Net. Such a traumatic experience losing your little buddy.
    Thanks. And I had just lost Fletch the year before. 11' and 12' weren't good years for me and dogs.

mtbr member
    @bethany - i think schutzhund training is what you were getting at. pretty serious obedience/tracking/protection work for certain types of dogs.

Funny coincidence about the German Shepard talk. About an hour ago I was sitting and eating at an outside patio. And a guy walked by walking his big German Shepard. Awesome looking dog and obviously a pure bred. Lower rear quarters than the front. Anyway I noticed he had a pink leash, I commented, "great looking German Shepard but I think a more manly leash is in order". We laughed and he said that's so people know he's a she. LOL as I already referred to him / her as a he.

IFIMD
    Insert foot in mouth disease.

Meatbomb
    If a German Shepard charges, you best brush up in your German. Seriously some German Shepard's only react to German commands. The good watch dogs are bred and trained in Germany.
    Police dogs are trained in German as well.

Maaaaan
    My thoughts are this.
    I've been bitten 4 times in my life. Newspaper Boy in 70s, Gardner in 80s and 90s, Mountain Biker the other two times.

Newspaper Boy Eric got bit by a Doberman Pinscher.
    Gardner Eric got bit by a German Shepard.
    The first two dogs knew me and hadn't given me a problem until the unpredictable attacks happened.

The first dog bite while mountain biking happened in Pleasanton and was a Weimaraner. The owner tried to take off and blame the victim. He got his ass kicked.

The second mountain biking incident happened here near boulder city. It was three Miniature Schnauzer that mobbed on me on a trail. I stopped and the mutts attacked me. I kicked them off at which point the old lady that was with them started hitting me with a walking stick. The only thing that kept her from getting beat down, was that she was an old lady. I did call the police on her though. I also told the police that "old lady or not, if she ever attacks me with that walking stick again, I'll defend myself"

I have never had a problem with a Pit Bull and the ones that were nasty from the other side of fences, all belonged to ghetto families where I grew up.

My verdict is, it has to do more with the owners and most Pitt Bull owners are the ghetto type. In and out of jail, alcohol, druggy F-Ups.
    In fact those ghetto types have all manner of vicious mutts on their properties, not just Pits.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

Eric your problem is you leave the house too much.

Hi There!
    Friend had a pit bull... nicest dog. We used to take her on the boat waterskiing and everything. Friend and his wife had a baby and he proactively got rid of the pit, said he couldn't take any chances.

16 year old daughter's friend has two pit bulls, daughter has been over there many times, even for sleepovers. Once when she was 14 one of the pit bulls just suddenly jumped up and bit her on the thigh.

Bottom line....they can't be trusted.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    ^when ozzy has a red leash or collar people ask "boy or girl?". blue or black .."how old is he?"

TOP TIER LURKER
    There's a dog club that I see parading around my area called "Responsible Pit Bull Owners of Los Angeles" or something like that.

I have mixed feelings on the matter of this thread. Any dog can snap and bite or attack, but a Pit Bull will cause incredible damage (comparatively to other common breeds) when it's jaws lock and it shakes it's heavy head back and forth violently.

I f that were to happen in my presence to anyone around me and I happen to have a gun in my hand, that dog is dead meat.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    There's a dog club that I see parading around my area called "Responsible Pit Bull Owners of Loss Angeles" or something like that.

I have mixed feelings on the matter of this thread. Any dog can snap and bite or attack, but a Pit Bull will cause incredible damage (comparatively to other common breeds) when it's jaws lock and it shakes it's heavy head back and forth violently.

I f that were to happen in my presence to anyone around me and I happen to have a gun in my hand, that dog is dead meat.
    You'd be better well suited pulling your Awesome Strap out and convincing the dog it carries all your essentials. The dog would let go in hysterics and lick you to death.

Unpredictable
    Kids do stupid things around dogs. Anything that seems to be a display of dominance, from looking into the dog's eyes, standing over the dog or rolling it onto its back will be met with a potentially violent response. The threat is apparently bigger when you are not a big dog.

Pits and shephards are over-represented in attacks. There are too many stories of Pits with a gentle history suddenly ripping into someone they know. More than one and the results can be a deadly pack attack.

Say what you want about all the loving pits out there, but unfortunately they are the loaded gun of the dog world. Like guns, your home is safer without one and there's no real point arguing over it.

Rabid Lana Fan
    German Shepherds are notorious for standing in your dish washer.

German Shepherds are notorious for standing in your dish washer.

LOL
    Little chopper, great name by the way. It wouldn't strike fear in the heart of anyone deathly afraid of dogs.

Rabid Lana Fan
    This is the last picture I took of him.

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtjunkie View Post
    you'd be better well suited pulling your awesome strap out and convincing the dog it carries all your essentials. The dog would let go in hysterics and lick you to death.
    GROSSS!!!

Dogs have terrible breath and they lick their own asses, balls, or vaginas!

Ride More, Work Less
    Does everyone know the emergency release for a dog?

When they bite and are holding on, you reach just in front of the hind legs and press sort of hard into the groin area. The dog will release. This is useful for training a dog to drop it. And yes, the reason the object is released is so that the dog can move its mouth back to what ever is intruding into the unprotected bowel areas. And yes, your other hand will be a target for a bite but that could be a life saving move.

TOP TIER LURKER

When they bite and are holding on, you reach just in front of the hind legs and press sort of hard into the groin area. The dog will release. This is useful for training a dog to drop it. And yes, the reason the object is released is so that the dog can move its mouth back to what ever is intruding into the unprotected bowel areas. And yes, your other hand will be a target for a bite but that could be a life saving move.
    I assume that entering a dog anally would also do the trick?

mtbr member

Good stuff. With bully breeds, they don't like to leave the ground. So lifting their hind legs off the ground will usually get them to release also. But then at least you have a hold on them.
    It's also a myth that pits have a locking jaw, it's all strength and determination.
    Round and round we go

If you've got a very close friend near by, that would be an alternative.

Ride More, Work Less
    Try and report back to us.

My trick was handed down to us like some form of witch craft from a dog trainer. I've used it numerous times at parks when dogs are refusing to let go and the owners are making the game worse by letting the dog win on its terms.

Good stuff. With bully breeds, they don't like to leave the ground. So lifting their hind legs off the ground will usually get them to release also. But then at least you have a hold on them.
    It's also a myth that pits have a locking jaw, they only have strength and determination.
    I don't know about that. My old roommate that had the big Pit that I talked about earlier. He would hold a 4"x4"x3' piece if wood out. The dog would latch on and he would swing him around in circles and or just stand still with him dangling in the air. The only way he would release his jaws would be to lower him so his feet touched the ground. Then he would release and then grab on again for go for another twirl.

He loved it.

TOP TIER LURKER
    OK, but what should I enter the offending dog anally with???

Rabid Lana Fan
    ruh roh
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Where's Opti when you need him. I'm sure he could recommend the appropriate solution in a twisted lengthy poetic artful way.

mtbr member
    I don't know about that. My old roommate that had the big Pit that I talked about earlier. He would hold a 4"x4"x3' piece if wood out. The dog would latch on and he would swing him around in circles and or just stand still with him dangling in the air. The only way he would release his jaws would be to lower him so his feet touched the ground. Then he would release and then grab on again for go for another twirl.

He loved it.
    Yup, it's not a 100%
    Also had a friend who did that with his pit on a tire swing. Think the dog was not comfortable with being off the ground and that's why it wouldn't let go until it got back down.
    Round and round we go

****** to the dirt
    Well first you pull **** **** *** than you ***** ***** ** after that the dog should let go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Yup, it's not a 100%
    Also had a friend who did that with his pit on a tire swing. Think the dog was not comfortable with being off the ground and that's why it wouldn't let go until it got back down.
    Most likely did feel uncomfortable off the ground. But the dog I was talking about loved it and kept coming back for more.

mtbr member
    What a surprise, this thread devolved...

And, better not go premature, imagine how pissed off the dog would be then, just saying...

9 lives
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Well first you pull **** **** *** than you ***** ***** ** after that the dog should let go.

^selective censorship

“I’m going **** the **** out of you.”
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ^selective censorship

Is that meant as a good thing or a bad thing???

Quote Originally Posted by Havinfun View Post
    Is that meant as a good thing or a bad thing???
    A good thing.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ^selective censorship

I would like to solve the puzzle.

I'm going care .... I've got nothing

EMBA Member
    No lie, I worked in a travelling circus for a couple months several decades ago. One time, a guy got too close to one of the elephants and it grabbed him with his trunk and started to drag him in. The trainer grabbed a thick steel rod, like an old automobile axle, and jammed it up the elephants rear. It worked. The guy got away.

TOP TIER LURKER
    What a surprise, this thread devolved...

And, better not go premature, imagine how pissed off the dog would be then, just saying...
    This is a troll thread, didn't you get the message?!

mtbr member
    A good thing.
    Great, I will make sure to try that line with the wife tonight.....

TOP TIER LURKER
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladmo View Post
    No lie, I worked in a travelling circus for a couple months several decades ago. One time, a guy got too close to one of the elephants and it grabbed him with his trunk and started to drag him in. The trainer grabbed a thick steel rod, like an old automobile axle, and jammed it up the elephants rear. It worked. The guy got away.
    Thank you for your support.

****** to the dirt
    Great, I will make sure to try that line with the wife tonight.....

just remember to use a lot of asstriks *****
    My Blog

Ride More, Work Less
    I expected such a comment from Hawg

TOP TIER LURKER
    deke is my Canadian connection for grunge when it's appropriate. I learned everything I know from him...

****** to the dirt
    I think you Americans are starting to rub off on me
    My Blog

TOP TIER LURKER
    I think you Americans are starting to rub off on me
    Wait a minute. I just posted that Canada corrupted me (an American). Don't go trying to turn it around the other way!

****** to the dirt
    Wait a minute. I just posted that Canada corrupted me (an American). Don't go trying to turn it around the other way!
    you are always trying to blame others huh Just look at the way you blame DJ for every thing
    My Blog

J:
    Name:  979242-pit-bulls-viscious-disgusting-breed-972783d1426113562-2015-canfield-brothers-riot-29er-fs.png
Views: 199
Size:  3.5 KB OC reps for you'sName:  979242-pit-bulls-viscious-disgusting-breed-972783d1426113562-2015-canfield-brothers-riot-29er-fs.png
Views: 199

you are always trying to blame others huh Just look at the way you blame DJ for every thing
    Yeah what's the deal with that.

Unpredictable
    Here's a good test. Stand over pit bull and put your hands under its front shoulders and lift it up by the armpits - just a bit like you are checking the weight of its head end. If it doesn't latch onto your throat and tear it out, then it's a safe pit bull. Better still get your kid to do it. There's nothing better than a realistic test!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridnparadise View Post
    Here's a good test. Stand over pit bull and put your hands under its front shoulders and lift it up by the armpits - just a bit like you are checking the weight of its head end. If it doesn't latch onto your throat and tear it out, then it's a safe pit bull. Better still get your kid to do it. There's nothing better than a realistic test!
    Do you dip the kid in steak sauce first, or not???

Just trying to keep it real.

Perpetual n00b
    Looks like the OP didn't find those "educated individuals" (people that agree with him) he was looking for. Now y'all done skerd'im off!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

~Disc~Golf~
    Personal opinion?

I think they are a failed breed, and should be 'wiped out'

now, I'm not talkin about takin your poochie and killing it, but the breed needs to be phased out, IMO

Everything good that a pitbull does can be done many other breeds, and all the bad things that seem unique to pits, are much less in other breeds

I think we start by banning the breeding of them
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    There's a dog club that I see parading around my area called "Responsible Pit Bull Owners of Los Angeles" or something like that.

They can't lock their jaws. It is physically impossible. What you are talking about is just the power of their jaw in general. The mechanical structure of their jaw is no different than any other canine. The locking of the jaw is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    Looks like the OP didn't find those "educated individuals" (people that agree with him) he was looking for. Now y'all done skerd'im off!
    You are quick to judge aren't you? Sorry if I don't have time to sit on here all day going back and forth. I really didn't see this turning into a 5 page thread. I was just looking for a few honest opinions. I am not looking for anyone to agree with me, but if you notice nobody called me a terrible parent for having a pit around my child. Everyone has their own opinion, just on the other site they can't go one second without swearing at someone or taking the conversation and turning it against someone. I don't agree with what everyone said here, but I also own a pit. It doesn't seem to me that anyone here actually owns one, they have only heard or had a bad experience with one. Regardless of what anyone says, "phasing" them out or banning breeding of them will never happen. They are not this wild killing machine that people make them out to be unless they are raised as such. If you ban them, the scum will just find something else to breed and turn into fighting/attack dogs. What the breed needs is more educated owners pushing for better treatment of the dogs, more educational courses and training for owners looking into getting one. It takes a responsible and well educated person to own one. Positive reinforcement works very well in training these dogs. They are extremely willing and obedient with the right type of training. They are very smart, athletic and quite goofy at times. They love to be rewarded and love to please their owners. I have my girl to where she won't move a muscle for any reason unless I tell her to , no matter what her surroundings are. She is extremely loyal and very gentle and loving. I have no fear that she will ever "snap" and bite my throat out. That kind of thinking is ridiculous, especially when you spend every day with the dog. She hasn't ever growled a single day in her life for any reason unless we are playing. Has not once shown any sign of aggressiveness toward anyone (strangers, other dogs, other animals, children). Hell she doesn't even bark when someone knocks on the door. She is a horrible guard dog lol.

Unpredictable
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Personal opinion?

I think they are a failed breed, and should be 'wiped out'

now, I'm not talkin about takin your poochie and killing it, but the breed needs to be phased out, IMO

Everything good that a pitbull does can be done many other breeds, and all the bad things that seem unique to pits, are much less in other breeds

I think we start by banning the breeding of them
    Yep. Attractive like the Hitler Youth

9 lives
    Pitbulls ( pit bull terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, and American pit bull terriers) have been banned in Ontario since 2005.

In 2004, the last full year before the ban, there were 984 pit bulls licensed in Toronto and 168 reported pit bull bites. That’s more than double the rate of German shepherds, the next most aggressive breed.

In 2013, the pit bull population was down to 501 (in Toronto), and there were only 13 reported pit bull bites.

The decline in the per-capita rate is probably attributable to the age of the remaining dogs, and the requirement that pit bulls be muzzled in public and sterilized, procedures that tend to make dogs less aggressive.

Meanwhile, since the pit bull ban, other “bully type breeds” have exploded in popularity. (boxers, Cane Corsos, American bulldogs etc) But none of these have replaced pit bulls atop the biting statistics. That distinction goes to the Rottweiler, with 636 dogs and 42 bites in 2013.

For now, though and for better or worse the ban here in Ontario, appears to have done what it set out to do

Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?-1412303318008.jpg
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Ride More, Work Less
    ^ do they track cocker spaniels? Seems like 100% of those dogs bite people. Perhaps they don't get reported.

9 lives
    The city documents every dog bite so they would track by breed as well... The dogs least likely (lowest number reported: French bulldog, pug, Cavalier King Charles spaniel, papillon and havanese) ... I'd have to do some more digging but I think Cocker spaniels are somewhere in the middle of the data for reported bites.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

They can't lock their jaws. It is physically impossible. What you are talking about is just the power of their jaw in general. The mechanical structure of their jaw is no different than any other canine. The locking of the jaw is a myth.

You are quick to judge aren't you? Sorry if I don't have time to sit on here all day going back and forth. I really didn't see this turning into a 5 page thread. I was just looking for a few honest opinions. I am not looking for anyone to agree with me, but if you notice nobody called me a terrible parent for having a pit around my child. Everyone has their own opinion, just on the other
    site they can't go one second without swearing at
    someone or taking the conversation and turning it
    against someone. I don't agree with what everyone
    said here, but I also own a pit. It doesn't seem to
    me that anyone here actually owns one, they have
    only heard or had a bad experience with one.
    Regardless of what anyone says, "phasing" them
    out or banning breeding of them will never
    happen. They are not this wild killing machine that
    people make them out to be unless they are raised
    as such. If you ban them, the scum will just find
    something else to breed and turn into fighting/
    attack dogs. What the breed needs is more
    educated owners pushing for better treatment of
    the dogs, more educational courses and training
    for owners looking into getting one. It takes a
    responsible and well educated person to own one.
    Positive reinforcement works very well in training
    these dogs. They are extremely willing and
    obedient with the right type of training. They are
    very smart, athletic and quite goofy at times. They
    love to be rewarded and love to please their
    owners. I have my girl to where she won't move a
    muscle for any reason unless I tell her to , no
    matter what her surroundings are. She is
    extremely loyal and very gentle and loving. I have
    no fear that she will ever "snap" and bite my
    throat out. That kind of thinking is ridiculous,
    especially when you spend every day with the dog.
    She hasn't ever growled a single day in her life for
    any reason unless we are playing. Has not once
    shown any sign of aggressiveness toward anyone
    (strangers, otherer animals, children).
    Hell she doesn't even bark when someone knocks
    on the. She is a horrible guard dog lol.

Go back and read my post #22. I lived with a friend for 3 years that had a Pit. Which pretty much made me a co-owner for those 3 years. Read about all the unique personality traits he displayed.

Ride More, Work Less

DJ, do not feed the troll post

Ps- glad you fixed the quote issue. I that that was you talking for a second.

9 lives
    Agree ^

And then there's this dog.... gangsta knows when the jig is up

Dog follows cops? orders, lies with owner after drug bust | New York Post
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Great reporting and data dig up Judy. It's hard to deny proven factual data. It's kind of like murdering someone and denying the blood soaked DNA filled glove doesn't fit.

Ride More, Work Less
    Here is an interesting article from over 20 years ago

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/199...rman-shepherds

Turns out the vickers do inflict harm

You are all aware of the old Budweiser mascot the Spuds Mackenzie dog, which was a Bull Terrior. My X girlfriend grew up in the heart of Los Angeles. One day a dog like that attached an old lady right in front of her mother's house. Someone called 911 while several others beat the dog and sprayed it with a garden hose. It wouldn't back down or let go of the little frail old lady. The cops showed up and shot and killed the dog. The lady was badly mauled but survived. Upon inspection of the dog it had a gang symbol tattoo on its belly. That dog was trained to kill and nothing else.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Go back and read my post #22. I lived with a friend for 3 years that had a Pit. Which pretty much made me a co-owner for those 3 years. Read about all the unique personality traits he displayed.
    I have read that post. I'm not quite sure what you are asking me to get from it? You had a good experience with a friends dog is what I am seeing. You were just scared of what it "could" do if it wanted to. Are you saying I should be scared of my dogs capabilities too? I know what she is capable of, but it doesn't scare me, because she will never do it.

Here is an interesting article from over 20 years ago

Beware The Bite Of `Excitable` Cocker Spaniels - tribunedigital-sunsentinel

Turns out the vickers do inflict harm
    Heyyall I'm starting to see a pattern developing of the nightmares and sleepless nights you've endured over all these years after having a Cocker Spaniel as a pet as a young boy.

I have read that post. I'm not quite sure what you are asking me to get from it? You had a good experience with a friends dog is what I am seeing. You were just scared of what it "could" do if it wanted to. Are you saying I should be scared of my dogs capabilities too? know what she is capable of, but it doesn't scare me, because she will never do it.
    Which is the ignorant mentally most Pit Bull owners have. I agree they are great dogs raised in a loving home. But there's no denying their bloodlines and what they were bred to do. Nobody can predict that because their dog is loved and trained that it will never revert back to its original bred in intention. If you have that ability I'd like to go with you to the horse track and bet on the horses. We could make a fortune with that talent.

What my post #22 was trying to convey is my experience of basically owning a Pit for 3 years. I loved that dog as if it were my own. And a great
    dog and pet. But knowing his capabilities and his bloodline I never felt completely comfortable. There's no telling what when where how or if he
    would ever revert back to his bred in intention.

I knew a guy that had a Brittany Spaniel hunting dog. They are bred to hunt pheasants and point. His dog from day one has never been around any type of hunting. Yet take him out in the field and he immediately smells out birds and stops and postures in a pointed position. Because of his bred in bloodline to do so.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 04-08-2015 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Which is the ignorant mentally most Pit Bull owners have. I agree they are great dogs raised in a loving home. But there's no denying their bloodlines and what they were bred to do. Nobody can predict that because their dog is loved and trained that it will never revert back to its original bred in intention. If you have that ability I'd like to go with you to the horse track and bet on the horses. We could make a fortune with that talent.
    I disagree. If you obtain one from a reputable breeder (like I did), that type of crap is bred out of the bloodline. They aren't raised to fight and bring down bulls anymore. If you are obtaining a dog from a dog fighting scenario, of course they are being bred that way. It isn't an ignorant mentality, it is a mentality that I have lived with and in for the last 15 years. I have had and interacted with numerous bully breed dogs from all different facets and have never once encountered a violent dog. The issue with people who don't own one, have never owned one, or have only had a bad experience with one is they don't trust any of them, which is asinine in itself in my opinion. People like that are extremely biased. Yes, I may be biased towards the breed, but it is because I have been around them all my life and I know what good, wonderful things they are capable of if raised and treated correctly.

Ride More, Work Less
    Heyyall I'm starting to see a pattern developing of the nightmares and sleepless nights you've endured over all these years after having a Cocker Spaniel as a pet as a young boy.
    I grew up understanding that all dogs would bite.

We had a beautiful dalmatian that lost its hearing. It bit a neighbor when she walked up on the dog from behind. We gave the dalmatian to a blind man that lived alone. They were quite the pairing but a very successful one.

We had a german sheppard that grew extremely defensive and ultimately was run over by a car. I've told the ghost story about that dog here before. Fortunately, the dog never hurt a person.

My cocker spaniel, who loved me like no other, used to bite me every day. You would simply go to pet the dog and it would bite your hand. It didn't hurt most of the times and it felt more like playful mouthing, but it was still a bite.

And as you suspect, I have been rushed to the emergency room from being attacked by a chow mix. I was young and playing hide and go seek at a neighbor's house. I opened the gate to the backyard and their dogs attacked me. I have a circular scare faintly visible in the center of my back where one dog latched on. I have a larger scare over one hip where a huge chunk of me was torn off.

Folly, my oldest golden has bitten me reasonably hard on my hand when we had a bit of a disagreement that the chicken on the counter wasn't his (and I have bitten Folly too)

With all of this, I'm still very much a dog person but have a health bit of skepticism on even the most mild breeds. The way humans act is very different from how dogs act (and react to humans). Therein lies my concern with Pit Bulls (and other more stronger willed and/or aggressive breeds), innocent mistakes are too costly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I grew up understanding that all dogs would bite.

We had a beautiful dalmatian that lost its hearing. It bit a neighbor when she walked up on the dog from behind. We gave the dalmatian to a blind man that lived alone. They were quite the pairing but a very successful one.

We had a german sheppard that grew extremely defensive and ultimately was run over by a car. I've told the ghost story about that dog here before. Fortunately, the dog never hurt a person.

My cocker spaniel, who loved me like no other, used to bite me every day. You would simply go to pet the dog and it would bite your hand. It didn't hurt most of the times and it felt more like playful mouthing, but it was still a bite.

And as you suspect, I have been rushed to the emergency room from being attacked by a chow mix. I was young and playing hide and go seek at a neighbor's house. I opened the gate to the backyard and their dogs attacked me. I have a circular scare faintly visible in the center of my back where one dog latched on. I have a larger scare over one hip where a huge chunk of me was torn off.

Folly, my oldest golden has bitten me reasonably hard on my hand when we had a bit of a disagreement that the chicken on the counter wasn't his (and I have bitten Folly too)

With all of this, I'm still very much a dog person but have a health bit of skepticism on even the most mild breeds. The way humans act is very different from how dogs act (and react to humans). Therein lies my concern with Pit Bulls (and other more stronger willed and/or aggressive breeds), innocent mistakes are too costly.
    I understand this. I am not saying I am not cautious of all dogs or even my dog. All I am saying is she is now 6 years old and has never displayed 1 single moment of aggression in her life. Not just toward me, but toward other people or animals. She is an extremely submissive dog as I think I have mentioned before. When she is playing with others, she usually will run around and then just roll over. I personally don't see this just changing for no reason. I will say this though, if it every does change and I see any aggression for any reason, she is gone. I won't put my daughter or other people in danger because of it. That is one thing responsible bully breed owners do. I have a buddy that had 3 ABBT's and one American Bulldog at one time. One of the APBT's was sketchy at times, but he was always leashed and in a fenced yard. He got out of the house one day and chased some kid down across the street and knocked him down and was on top of him. They had been training and working hard with him to get him to stop this stuff. He hadn't bit anyone yet, but you could see it was going to happen. He ended up putting the dog down. Another statistic is the last thing the breed needs. His other 3 are complete babies. When the wild one ran out of the house the other 3 just stood there and watched.

mtbr member
    I have read that post. I'm not quite sure what you are asking me to get from it? You had a good experience with a friends dog is what I am seeing. You were just scared of what it "could" do if it wanted to. Are you saying I should be scared of my dogs capabilities too? I know what she is capable of, but it doesn't scare me, because she will never do it.
    Not quite sure what you'r looking to get, other than to stir up sh!t. Did you think everyone was going to feel bad for you and your experience on another forum? Even after your title choice, calling people stupid, and your whining when you don't hear what you want. From where i'm sitting you'r the one who's not being open minded in this conversation. I'v had a staffie, a mix, and full blooded red nose apbt. So that's 3 dogs that would be considered pits. The were all rescues, all loving and caring dogs that never bit anyone. The staffie absolutely loved kids, and they could do anything they wanted to her and she wanted more. The only times i got concerned was when she would pin them down and lick them so much they had a hard time breathing. They all got into scraps with other dogs but as far as i see it they never started any of those instances. Now other dogs i'v had, including a cocker and my lab have bit children. But it wasn't an attack, more of a snap at for pissing them off for being stepped on or spooked in some way, and wasn't severe enough for the hospital or law suits to come into play. Whereas if it was a pit it probably would have been. Now as far as the stats that Cyclisious was kind enough to provide for you, and the experiences and opinions that others were kind enough to provide for you, they are just that, and can be read any way you want. Like i doubt if a chihuahua attacks someone you will hear about it on the news or see it on stats, the same way i doubt if there's a sub species human who wants a dog that attacks and intimidates they would choose a chihuahua neither. As a few on here wisely said dogs are a liability, and can bite. That includes all of them. Only you know the dangers in your situation and only you can assume that risk. Don't get why you care whether others think your a good or bad parent, and don't get what you think this thread is going to show you if you don't keep an open mind to the opinions and experiences shared with you.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Not quite sure what you'r looking to get, other than to stir up sh!t. Did you think everyone was going to feel bad for you and your experience on another forum? Even after your title choice, calling people stupid, and your whining when you don't hear what you want. From where i'm sitting you'r the one who's not being open minded in this conversation. I'v had a staffie, a mix, and full blooded red nose apbt. So that's 3 dogs that would be considered pits. The were all rescues, all loving and caring dogs that never bit anyone. The staffie absolutely loved kids, and they could do anything they wanted to her and she wanted more. The only times i got concerned was when she would pin them down and lick them so much they had a hard time breathing. They all got into scraps with other dogs but as far as i see it they never started any of those instances. Now other dogs i'v had, including a cocker and my lab have bit children. But it wasn't an attack, more of a snap at for pissing them off for being stepped on or spooked in some way, and wasn't severe enough for the hospital or law suits to come into play. Whereas if it was a pit it probably would have been. Now as far as the stats that Cyclisious was kind enough to provide for you, and the experiences and opinions that others were kind enough to provide for you, they are just that, and can be read any way you want. Like i doubt if a chihuahua attacks someone you will hear about it on the news or see it on stats, the same way i doubt if there's a sub species human who wants a dog that attacks and intimidates they would choose a chihuahua neither. As a few on here wisely said dogs are a liability, and can bite. That includes all of them. Only you know the dangers in your situation and only you can assume that risk. Don't get why you care whether others think your a good or bad parent, and don't get what you think this thread is going to show you if you don't keep an open mind to the opinions and experiences shared with you.
    I have kept an open mind. I been respectful to everyone's opinions on here except the few stupid posts in the beginning where people are just ragging on me for even opening the thread. Have the mods close it if you don't like it, but from what I can tell it has opened up some interesting conversation that I have actually enjoyed reading. I'm not looking for anyone to feel bad for me and I could care less what people think of my parenting skills. I wasn't implying that I was looking for any sympathy. I'm simply stating my experiences much like everyone else has done in this thread. However you feel the need to say that I am trying to stir up sh!t and jump down my throat. I posted one response about how people couldn't be civilized and stop being stupid. It was after you and another started talking about my thread title and how I was a troll. All I was doing, which I have said over and over now is looking for some opinions on the matter like everyone else does on this forum in various other topics. If you don't like it, please feel free to post in a different topic. I am allowed to post my thoughts in here just as everyone else has. And I am not opened minded? Maybe read the last few posts I have made before you keep talking..I start them with words like...I disagree...or I understand...I'm not being rude to anyone or telling them they don't know what they are talking about. I am politely disagreeing with their view on the matter. That is how a discussion usually goes. People don't always agree.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Ugh.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Ugh.
    Go ahead and close it, sorry if I got "some" people all rustled up. Wasn't my intention.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I am active on quite a few other forums (not mtn. bike related). The one in general, people post random threads just to get people all rustled. Recently it seems there have been a few threads about how dangerous pit bulls are. What is everyone's general consensus on the pit bull breed? Are you scared of them? Do you think they should be banned? If so, what are your reasons? Do you own a pit? Would you own one? I personally own a pit and she is the biggest baby in the world. I have recently received a lot of flack on this other forum for defending the breed. I am not the only one defending it, but there aren't many that are. And the vast majority of people are just saying they are monsters and will kill if given the chance. I have been called a bad parent for having my 17 month old daughter around our dog as well. Just thought I would get some thoughts from some more educated individuals instead of a bunch of mouthy idiots that seem to frequent this other forum. Thoughts?
    I got in a fight once. Should we ban white people? Tall people?
    I live in Indy and work with the coolest people in the world at TreeStuff.com

Gotta have Bonnervision

TOP TIER LURKER
    My God, you are quite the mega-troll, aren't you??? I can lock my jaws. Pit bulls can lock theirs, too. I'm not talking about putting a pad lock through it's jaws, I'm talking about their ability to keep their mouth shut with enough strength to keep what they are holding onto from flying out while they are violently swinging their head back and forth.

I have a feeling you already knew what I meant though, so why don't you go swallow 3 hard boiled eggs (unpeeled) whole and then get lost.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by bonner1040 View Post
    I got in a fight once. Should we ban white people? Tall people?
    Didn't you mean to aim this inquiry @ the one who suggested banning pit bulls? And not the one trying to defend their presence?

mtbr member
    I have kept an open mind. I been respectful to everyone's opinions on here except the few stupid posts in the beginning where people are just ragging on me for even opening the thread. Have the mods close it if you don't like it, but from what I can tell it has opened up some interesting conversation that I have actually enjoyed reading. I'm not looking for anyone to feel bad for me and I could care less what people think of my parenting skills. I wasn't implying that I was looking for any sympathy. I'm simply stating my experiences much like everyone else has done in this thread. However you feel the need to say that I am trying to stir up sh!t and jump down my throat. I posted one response about how people couldn't be civilized and stop being stupid. It was after you and another started talking about my thread title and how I was a troll. All I was doing, which I have said over and over now is looking for some opinions on the matter like everyone else does on this forum in various other topics. If you don't like it, please feel free to post in a different topic. I am allowed to post my thoughts in here just as everyone else has. And I am not opened minded? Maybe read the last few posts I have made before you keep talking..I start them with words like...I disagree...or I understand...I'm not being rude to anyone or telling them they don't know what they are talking about. I am politely disagreeing with their view on the matter. That is how a discussion usually goes. People don't always agree.
    so is this ^ how you say thank you for sharing my opinion and experiences on the matter?
    Round and round we go

Meatbomb
    I know what she is capable of, but it doesn't scare me, because she will never do it.
    That is what the owner of the pit that bit me said in their reply to my lawyer.

I dare you to inform the insurance company that holds your homeowners policy that you own a pit. Or read your policy to ensure you are covered for when it bites someone. The owners I had to sue thought they were covered but were not. They had to pay out of pocket.

Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. I just don't trust pits. The scars on the side of my face remind me daily.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My God, you are quite the mega-troll, aren't you??? I can lock my jaws. Pit bulls can lock theirs, too. I'm not talking about putting a pad lock through it's jaws, I'm talking about their ability to keep their mouth shut with enough strength to keep what they are holding onto from flying out while they are violently swinging their head back and forth.

I have a feeling you already knew what I meant though, so why don't you go swallow 3 hard boiled eggs (unpeeled) whole and then get lost.
    Once again the negative responses. Which I don't really get because all I did was explain something I thought possibly you didn't understand. You are sounding more like the troll to me. I didn't realize that is what you were saying, because most DO have a common misconception that they do actually have the ability to lock their jaw. Maybe don't say lock their jaw next time and someone won't take it that way, because it is physically impossible. Their bite force is what allows them to hold onto something. Saying lock jaw implies they have some physical ability to unhinge their jaw or whatever so that it can't be opened.

so is this ^ how you say thank you for sharing my opinion and experiences on the matter?
    I'm quite confused at your responses. One second your talking about your experiences the next you are jumping down my throat for trolling or being ignorant or whatever else you think I'm trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post

I dare you to inform the insurance company that holds your homeowners policy that you own a pit. Or read your policy to ensure you are covered for when it bites someone. The owners I had to sue thought they were covered but were not. They had to pay out of pocket.

Don't get me wrong. I love dogs. I just don't trust pits. The scars on the side of my face remind me daily.
    My insurance company knows that I have a dog. They didn't ask in the screening what type it was so I didn't offer the information. They just asked if I did have a dog.

****** to the dirt

Name:  trollthread.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  9.4 KB
    My Blog

mtbr member

Sorry Phillbo, your responses just can't be taken seriously. That is until you put a chain on that beast in your avatar. You'r scarin me Man.
    Round and round we go

Rabid Lana Fan
    He doesn't know what you're talking about.

He doesn't see avatars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pit Bulls - Thoughts on the Breed?-ava.png  

Meatbomb
    My insurance company knows that I have a dog. They didn't ask in the screening what type it was so I didn't offer the information. They just asked if I did have a dog.
    Read your policy. If they cared enough to ask, they have a list of dogs that they will not cover if they cause personal injury.

Meatbomb
    Sorry Phillbo, your responses just can't be taken seriously. That is until you put a chain on that beast in your avatar. You'r scarin me Man.

12 pounds of killer

Ride More, Work Less
    I'm bringing out the big guns now

I didn't do it
    Mods, please move this thread to General.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

9 lives
    Who is the thread ender?
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Read your policy. If they cared enough to ask, they have a list of dogs that they will not cover if they cause personal injury.
    I have, and there is nothing in the policy about specific breeds. The last company I was with didn't care either, I told them on the phone what type of dog I had.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Please note: At 0:15, they are NOT being bred to fight....this is just what puppys do.

****** to the dirt
    Please note: At 0:15, they are NOT being bred to fight....this is just what puppys do.

Geez those be some means dogs. Did see the one that attacked the shoe for no reason
    My Blog

Rabid Lana Fan
    Pit bull puppys have teething issues, just like, say, a Beagle puppy or a Yorky puppy would have.

They were actually initially bred to help control the bears and bulls that were used in various blood sports in Britain. Fighting them wasn't introduced until later, when the breeds were already established
    Please take note of my early on post. The bolded part definitely shows that this Pit Bull reverted back to his bred in bloodline. My friend never taught him to drop cows by biting the back hamstring. He was merely walking his dog out in the country when the dog instinctively ran out and proceeded to do it to a herd of cows. I never knew that Pit Bulls were used early on to control bulls until TheDwayyo's above post. I guarantee that this is how they helped keep the bulls in line.

A prime example of them reverting back to an instinctual behavior that was bred into their blood line.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Please take note of my early on post. The bolded part definitely shows that this Pit Bull reverted back to his bred in bloodline. My friend never taught him to drop cows by biting the back hamstring. He was merely walking his dog out in the country when the dog instinctively ran out and proceeded to do it to a herd of cows. I never knew that Pit Bulls were used early on to control bulls until TheDwayyo's above post. I guarantee that this is how they helped keep the bulls in line.

A prime example of them reverting back to an instinctual behavior that was bred into their blood line.
    Research the history of bull baiting. Your guarantee is not valid. What they were bred for in the 1800's. The objective was to bite the bull's nose. It had nothing to do with their hind legs. I don't know where that dog learned that, but I don't think it is instinctual behavior from his bloodline.

Ride More, Work Less
    Would somebody please bite DJ's hands?

Net - awesome video. Folly's informal name at the breeder was chewy. I know retrievers have mouthing tendencies, but seriously, this dog would chew on a child's leg like a 300 pound man chews on a smoked turkey leg at the fair.

Research the history of bull baiting. Your guarantee is not valid. What they were bred for in the 1800's. The objective was to bite the bull's nose. It had nothing to do with their hind legs. I don't know where that dog learned that, but I don't think it is instinctual behavior from his bloodline.
    I bet it is, and you just haven't found it in the breeding archives. That dog was raised as a puppy by my friend. Never taught any such thing. It's definitely a thought bred in behavior. How else would he know exactly where to bite on the back leg. And use only enough pressure as to not harm the cow and draw blood.

Very valid ^^
    Keep searching your archives on the bulls.

mtbr member

that's kind of true. Pit bull is a type of dog, not a breed. Any breed of dog that's considered a pit came from this line Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts . Staffies are the original version and have been breed and recognized as a breed since the early 1800s abroad. In america this breed wasen't recognized until 1970s or so, which was after it's off shoot american breeds were recognized. If you read the history of that breed on the linky above you will see, and i would attest to, their loving caring nature toward humans and especially children. that was breed into them.... Except everything with breeding is not a given. Like the cow thing i'm sure was breed into them, even thou some people never heard of it, and all won't do it. The same way my staffie would never swim, but instead stood near the edge barking until her friends got out, and panicked anytime she started to float, or left the ground as i tried to point out earlier.
    Round and round we go

Would somebody please bite DJ's hands?

Net - awesome video. Folly's informal name at the breeder was chewy. I know retrievers have mouthing tendencies, but seriously, this dog would chew on a child's leg like a 300 pound man chews on a smoked turkey leg at the fair.
    Why all the troll hate. Discuss and prove him wrong that's my technique in an opinionated thread. Without discussion what do we have? Utter chaos <<< another cow reference, sorry.

It pisses me off more than anything when a thread gets closed because of apposing opinions. Duh that's what a discussion is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I bet it is, and you just haven't found it in the breeding archives. That dog was raised as a puppy by my friend. Never taught any such thing. It's definitely a thought bred in behavior. How else would he know exactly where to bite on the back leg. And use only enough pressure as to not harm the cow and draw blood.

Very valid ^^
    Keep searching your archives on the bulls.
    Your evidence that it is "valid" isn't evidence when it is one dog. You even said yourself the dog had a crazy personality. Was it also bred in his bloodline to go and sniff out girls on their periods? Not to mention you said he didn't hurt the cow. So how has his bad bloodline of attacking animals bred him to gently drop a cow for fun?

Ride More, Work Less
    Why all the troll hate. Discuss and prove him wrong that's my technique in an opinionated thread. Without discussion what do we have? Utter chaos <<< another cow reference, sorry.

It pisses me off more than anything when a thread gets closed because of apposing opinions. Duh that's what a discussion is.
    Where's the neg rep button when you need it

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    that's kind of true. Pit bull is a type of dog, not a breed. Any breed of dog that's considered a pit came from this line Staffordshire Bull Terrier Dog Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts . Staffies are the original version and have been breed and recognized as a breed since the early 1800s abroad. In america this breed wasen't recognized until 1970s or so, which was after it's off shoot american breeds were recognized. If you read the history of that breed on the linky above you will see, and i would attest to, their loving caring nature toward humans and especially children.
    Still confused by your posts :-)

Your evidence that it is "valid" isn't evidence when it is one dog. You even said yourself the dog had a crazy personality. Was it also bred in his bloodline to go and sniff out girls on their periods?
    He didn't have a crazy personality. I said his personality traits were crazy. As in I've never seen any other dog with such traits. I even listed in that post all the strange characteristics that were not the norm for any dog I've known. Crazy not at all, just interesting. As far as sniffing out girls periods, he did live in a house with 3 young males that had a revolving door of woman. He caught on pretty quick and warned us which ones were off limits at the parties.

Where's the neg rep button when you need it
    Reported!

Meatbomb
    OK.. we all agree with you. Pit Bulls are the best dog for everyone to own and have a bad rap from no fault of their own.

You win. Is this what you want?

OK.. we all agree with you. Pit Bulls are the best dog for everyone to own and have a bad rap from no fault of their own.

Reported!

mtbr member
    Still confused by your posts :-)
    That's ok, i'm not confused by your troll attempts, and don't think anyone else is neither.
    Round and round we go

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Ugh.
    Ugh is right.

is this thread dead yet? OP is trolling (and knows it)...but some good banter in between the anecdotal knowitalls.

FWIW my family had a pit (in the 70's). Just a goofy dog. In the last 15 years or so demand for crazy gnarly aggressive pits has resulted in poor breeding practices.

same thing happened to rotties after 'the Omen' came out.

IMO i would never own a breed that has a rep for aggression with kids in the house.

(my knowitall anecdotal experience)
    Click Here for Forum Rules

****** to the dirt

that is it, Hawg is right, it is all your fault.
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    Ugh is right.

is this thread dead yet? OP is trolling (and knows it)...but some good banter in between the anecdotal knowitalls.

FWIW my family had a pit (in the 70's). Just a goofy dog. In the last 15 years or so demand for crazy gnarly aggressive pits has resulted in poor breeding practices.

same thing happened to rotties after 'the Omen' came out.

IMO i would never own a breed that has a rep for aggression with kids in the house.

(my knowitall anecdotal experience)
    So I'm the only know-it-all in here? I have agreed with some parts of what people have said. Sorry I am human and don't agree with everyone's opinions. Isn't that what we have been discussing. The only factual evidence that has been posted has been descriptions of the breed with links, and the evidence about the breed being banned in Canada. Other than that everyone is basing their opinions off of experiences with the dogs themselves. I am no the only one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    That's ok, i'm not confused by your troll attempts, and don't think anyone else is neither.
    Yes, I'm the troll. I'm trying to lighten the mood a little because you keep attacking me yet you continue to do so.

mtbr member
    Yes, I'm the troll. I'm trying to lighten the mood a little because you keep attacking me yet you continue to do so.
    Ok, that's fair. Guess we all have a rep round here, including the mods and now you too. Sorry if i took your post as a troll attempt, maybe prove me wrong with your posts, and i'll try not to be an anecdotal knowitall too.
    Round and round we go

Meatbomb
    OP ignores my first hand experience because it does not fit his agenda.

Ride More, Work Less
    Bites the hand that feeds him?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Actually I am ignoring you because you are posting things like the quote above. I am sorry for your negative experience with the breed.

J:

Ps- glad you fixed the quote issue. I that that was you talking for a second.
    Heyyall, could you please explain what you mean by this, which quote?

Ride More, Work Less

Heyyall, could you please explain what you mean by this, which quote?
    DJ, being DJ, uses 1940 computer technology. Somehow during the quoting process the post became corrupt. It looked like he had typed all of that de novo on a 1950s typewriter that had a carriage return problem. He edited his post to add back the opening quote tag and his posting was complete. The post in question was the one right before mine...something like 20 pages back.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    So I'm the only know-it-all in here? I have agreed with some parts of what people have said. Sorry I am human and don't agree with everyone's opinions. Isn't that what we have been discussing. The only factual evidence that has been posted has been descriptions of the breed with links, and the evidence about the breed being banned in Canada. Other than that everyone is basing their opinions off of experiences with the dogs themselves. I am no the only one.
    1 - you are trolling

2 - reading comprehension...re-read what I wrote.

3 - thread has devolved into nonsense at this point...probably will be closed soon
    Click Here for Forum Rules

****** to the dirt
    1 - you are trolling

3 - thread has devolved into nonsense at this point...probably will be closed soon

Here is the sign for you

Name:  threadclosed.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  10.1 KB
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    1 - you are trolling

1 - you are trolling

1. I actually think I am being trolled when I asked for opinions and a discussion on a topic, and get hounded because I disagree with some of them. I have tried to keep this as polite as possible and I continue to get attacked. If you are convinced I'm such a troll that why don't you just do your moderator duties and close it instead of continuing to post in it? I really didn't expect this outcome in all honestly. I am newer to this forum and received a lot of great advice before buying my first bike. I have been frequently on here since I joined and noticed an abundance of casual discussion topics that stayed adult and didn't have people attacking others due to their opinion. Not sure how this got so out of hand. Maybe my choice of title was bad, so be it. Sorry.

2. I read your post. I was more or less agreeing with you. Yes my evidence is anecdotal, but so is everyone else's with the exception of the few that I mentioned that posted viable links. I know the facts of the breed. I am trying to change that by being a responsible owner, and in general trying to change the "norm" of what people think of the breed. Statistics are skewed at times. We all know this, but if you want to deny that then so be it.

3. Close it then. I figured it would have been closed hours ago at this point because there are only a few people who can discuss this without attacking.

J:
    DJ, being DJ, uses 1940 computer technology. Somehow during the quoting process the post became corrupt. It looked like he had typed all of that de novo on a 1950s typewriter that had a carriage return problem. He edited his post to add back the opening quote tag and his posting was complete. The post in question was the one right before mine...something like 20 pages back.
    Gotcha thanks Heyyall, I thought you meant I changed DIRTS words in my quote (that og was a good post).

Meatbomb
    The Dingo ate my baby..........

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    The Dingo ate my baby..........
    Clearly this is because you don't have a APBT to protect it....

J:

Dominance and pack mentality are facts.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Save the Dingos!

Ban Babies!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperModerator
    A lot of mis-information in here.

1> Banning a Breed is a terrible ideal and should never be practiced. That is the same kind of reasoning people use for Genocide and it is despicable. Many cannot really even identify an American Pit Bull Terrier, can you? Pick the Pit - Can you find the Pitbull?

2> An American Pit Bull Terrier does not have "locking" jaws. Using the word "locking" indicates they have some physical trait the locks like a door locks. That is just not true and when people use the term they sound very ignorant. They have very very strong muscles and very strong jaw muscles, that does not mean every single one will be trained by a dog fighter to latch onto something and not let go.

3> Not every dog referred to as a Pit Bull is an American Pit Bull Terrier, nor is it a Staffordshire Terrier, nor Bull Terrier not Bull Dog, nor American Bull Dog, etc, etc. There are many dogs in the "bully" family. In fact many news "reports" the cite a "pit bull" attack are not dogs that are actually American Pit Bull Terriers, many are mixes in which it is hard to know exactly what the bloodlines are.

4> In the US, Golden Retrievers are responsible for more Dog Bites than any other breed, probably due to the fact that they are one of the most popular breeds in the Nation. (that stat is from a few years ago and may not be current)

5> John Stewart of the Daily Show owns and advocates for APBT's, and was on the Television show, PitBulls and Paroles (which if you do not watch I encourage you to watch at least one episode to see just how well these dogs can react to terrible situations.)

No matter what side of the issue you find yourself on, make sure you educate yourself before just making assumptions. Beyond the Myth is a very good Documentary about the breed. Here is a preview for it:

https://youtu.be/1HE6act57Aw

Until I watched that Video I did not realize how biased the media has become, but since then I have taken notice of my local media when reporting dog attacks/bites etc, and it is sad to see that when it is a non-bully breed the news just says dog attack, and when it is a bully breed they state pit bull. Why would they do that? Terrible.

I have personally witnessed two dog bits in my life. Once I myself was bit by our pet cocker spaniel.

The second time my cousin was bit by out pet Labrador.

In my life I grew up with the following dogs:

Cocker Spaniel
    Labrador
    Scottish Terriers - 2
    Rottweiler
    Mastiff
    Husky
    Jack Russell - 2
    and one mixed mutt breed.

Of all those dogs the Rottweiler was the most gentle towards humans and one of my all time favorite dogs we owned.

As an Adult my wife and I had her Black Lab/Husky mix when we first got married, and in the last 5 years we have adopted two American Pit Bull Terriers, one if pure bred APBT, the other I have zero lineage on him, but a dog trainer thinks he is half Boarder Collie and with his herding skills and markings it makes a ton of sense.

My dogs have both been attacked by off-leash dogs when out on the trails, and my girl has been bit on the face by many small dogs, she has such a good temperament those little things are lucky to be alive, she just ignores them.

In the end this is my opinion:

"all dogs are dogs, breed aside, dogs treated well and trained well will behave well, dogs treated badly or trained badly will be unpredictable."

To the OP - Do you mind if I change the title of this thread, it is very "trollish" no matter what your intentions were with it.

And finally here are my "pit bulls".

Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines