mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Photos show what the world really eats

mtbr member
    Interesting.
    Way to stereotype entire cultures and countries.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Is that really stereotyping, Brew? Or is it showing what an average family in a particular county consumes? I'm just not seeing anything that could qualify as offensive or stereotyped. Well, maybe that Canadian bacon is offensive. I mean c'mon, just eat some ham or eat some bacon will ya? Don't be combining those 2 and wrecking a good thing. Other than that, I'd only be offended if they showed people eating poop. Or socks. Or socks with poop on them. Totally offensive in my book.

Is not amused
    I love me some grape drink. WTF is juice.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Why is that article dated Apr 30, 2012? I've seen that..........2 years ago.

Hack journalists!

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Interesting.
    Way to stereotype entire cultures and countries.
    you missed the point, all it shows is what the average family eats per week. if they wanted to really stereotype people and make it offensive it would have been easy. personally i thought it was interesting to see how western consumption has spread nearly world wide.

Ride More, Work Less
    Do you want to see what your local community eats? Walk inside a grocery store and look at shopping carts as people are heading to the checkout. You'll reach the correct conclusion that virtually everything in the store is being sold to someone and that some do better as shopping for real food and others excel at loading a cart full of junk food.

In my family of 6 (4 boys), we have never had 1/10th of the food shown in those picture on hand at a given time. I doubt those people did either. I'm guessing they were told to go on a shopping spree and get the food they would like to eat. The quantity was then proportionally adjusted to make subtle points that were consistent with the hypothesis the author wanted to promote.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Mayonnaise sandwiches?

Audi Fanboy
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fargon View Post
    Mayonnaise sandwiches?
    Right, and "Prawn Cocktail"?

mtbr member
    Just seems to me like they are painting with awfully wide brush strokes.

Having one family represent an entire country is not an accurate and fair way to show what that entire country eats.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Frt Range, CO
    Didn't see any Tang, doesn't anyone eat hot tang anymore?

All fat, all the time.
    I am offended.
    Being from Canada, I know for a fact there should be more beer in their picture....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Do you want to see what your local community eats? Walk inside a grocery store and look at shopping carts as people are heading to the checkout. You'll reach the correct conclusion that virtually everything in the store is being sold to someone and that some do better as shopping for real food and others excel at loading a cart full of junk food.

In my family of 6 (4 boys), we have never had 1/10th of the food shown in those picture on hand at a given time. I doubt those people did either. I'm guessing they were told to go on a shopping spree and get the food they would like to eat. The quantity was then proportionally adjusted to make subtle points that were consistent with the hypothesis the author wanted to promote.
    Seriously, or was that for dramatic effect?

Our family of three grocery shops every other weekend and spends $300 to $350. We definately have more food on hand than those pictures show.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Ride More, Work Less
    We really do not store that much food. We go to the store 3-5 times a week, mostly to get fresh meats. We do buy bulk cans of vegetables and rice by the 40 lb bag and rarely have anything that would resemble a meal in a bag.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

Members who have read this thread: 0