Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Parking lot Posers!!!

I frequent many mountain bike trails and have noticed so many mountain bikers killing time in the parking lot!!

My question is what is up with that?

We usually know when we are going for a ride and I always have my gear ready, do adjustments and maintenance to the bike the night before. Throw the bike in the truck park at the trailhead put my shoes, camelback and helmet on and I am gone! Is there something I am missing out on? Is this a tradition to spend a hour in the parking lot? Reminds me of a packed gym where u always have that one guy who takes and hour on the bench press flexing and looking around between every set.

If you want to impress someone do it on the trail not in the parking lot!

Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONMTB View Post
    I frequent many mountain bike trails and have noticed so many mountain bikers killing time in the parking lot!!

We usually know when we are going for a ride and I always have my gear ready, do adjustments and maintenance to the bike the night before. Throw the bike in the truck park at the trailhead put my shoes, camelback and helmet on and I am gone! Is there something I am missing out on? Is this a tradition to spend a hour in the parking lot? Reminds me of a packed gym where u always have that one guy who takes and hour on the bench press flexing and looking around between every set.

So everyone has to be like you? Nice attitude.
    "Don't give up, Never give up!"

mtbr member
    I could not have said that any better.. I hate Posers thinking they that there bikes are better and can blow by anyone... Ha I can do that on a 500 dollar bike !!
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

Suckin wind like a boss
    im never in that much of a hurry. hell, they could be chillin in the lot waiting for you to GTFO so they can spark that joint they dont wanna share with the dude they dont know.

ride your own ride.

banned
    Maybe they're waiting for more Riding buddies to show up?

Or having a cold one after the ride?

Don't worry what other riders doing....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Usually I'm too busy riding than worrying about sizing up and judging other riders.

mtbr member
    The difference between your gym rat example and the guy pumping up his tires in the parking lot being that one prevents you from doing your thing, the other does not. Who cares how they get their jollies? Should I look down my nose at people who spend $100 for a tune-up at a LBS because half the passion in the sport for me is building and maintaining my own bikes? Live and let live. Too many people view everything as a zero-sum game.
    "So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well I always ride alone so I have not done this personally but maybe they're just enjoying time with friends before they hit the trails. Doesn't have to be hardcore every time, Im sure a casual day chilling with friends and also hitting the trails a little is fun.

Nat
    mtbr member
    It's being social, kind of like tailgating at a ball game or having a drink at a bar instead of at home.

Edit: I'm reminded of one of my favorite riding areas, which had a picnic table at the beginning/end of the loop. People would gather there and get to know one another by name. Total strangers would decide to take a lap or two together and people got to know others in their cycling community. It was pretty nice really.
    Last edited by Nat; 05-06-2012 at 08:36 PM.

mtbr member
    let me clear this up I can tell when someone is meeting someone or just chillin before or after a ride these guys just think they are BA and looking down there nose at people coming to actually ride there bikes. I am pretty laid back and love our sport I have just noticed more and more of these folks coming out snub nose folks who dont know anything about mountain bike etiquette, the rules of the trail or being social. If u have not ran across riders like this I am happy for you. People like this just give our sport a bad name!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    It's being social, kind of like tailgating at a ball game or having a drink at a bar instead of at home.

Edit: I'm reminded of one of my favorite riding areas, which had a picnic table at the beginning/end of the loop. People would gather there and get to know one another by name. Total strangers would decide to take a lap or two together and people got to know others in their cycling community. It was pretty nice really.
    I would love to see this at our trailheads!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post

Nat Good Post !!

Fat-tired Roadie
    let me clear this up I can tell when someone is meeting someone or just chillin before or after a ride these guys just think they are BA and looking down there nose at people coming to actually ride there bikes.
    How can you tell? Do you ask them, "Excuse me sir with the expensive bike, are you waiting on friends or just trying to show off how much disposable income you have?"
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Even when i ride alone, when i finish a ride i like to just relax for a minute. Maybe just sit with my bike and look around. Usually the trailheads have a nice little scenery. AND i like to observe other people, their bikes, their cars, their pre/post-ride rituals...
    Maybe im one of those guys with "that look" on my face, but its just me looking around, chilling.

Suckin wind like a boss
    since i work nights i tend to ride in the day before work. most of my friends and people i ride with work opposite schedules from me, so i tend to ride solo. when i finish MY ride, if i have time i sit there in the parking lot and listen to the radio, or talk to other riders, killing time before i go to work.

if its that important that you know why people are siting there just chillin in the lot, why dont you man up and go ask em why they are just sittin in the lot? dont be a dewsh about it, there or here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Most of the parking lots I bike from are nicer than home and my home aint bad. Doing those last minute adjustments are a nice way to unwind.

mtbr member
    With a wife and 3 kids a full time job and a part time business any time hanging out with friends is cherished. If we are riding or just shooting the breeze before or after I am all over it. Next time walk over and say hi you might make a friend or they wont laugh at you till you are gone. Take this sport for what it is and enjoy yourself and quit worrying about the rich guys with nice bikes. At least they wont break into your car while you ride.

injured reserve list
    I pose like a mother fcker in the parking lot at N* every year, drinking beer, loaning tools out, talking poo, helping wrench on bikes and sometimes I even go up on the lift to get my season pass scanned. hehe

Great thread topic IRONMTB
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

Competent User
    This is a silly thread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    let me clear this up I can tell when someone is meeting someone or just chillin before or after a ride these guys just think they are BA and looking down there nose at people coming to actually ride there bikes. I am pretty laid back and love our sport I have just noticed more and more of these folks coming out snub nose folks who dont know anything about mountain bike etiquette, the rules of the trail or being social. If u have not ran across riders like this I am happy for you. People like this just give our sport a bad name!!!!!!
    How about "who cares?".

Go ride and worry about yourself. Mind your business. These people aren't ruining anything... you are ruining it for yourself by letting a non-issue bother you.

Who's the bigger d00chbag - people in the parking lot doing nothing, or the guy ranting about people in the parking lot doing nothing?

Nat
    mtbr member
    I would love to see this at our trailheads!!!!
    It was so incredibly simple -- a picnic table. It changed the dynamic completely. Before someone brought the table there people would come and go without stopping. Add a basic place to sit and suddenly people became friends.

Is not amused
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    pictures or it didn't happen...

Parking Lot Poser
    glad i stuckit out till the end on this thread.

thanks hutch!! thats money!!

mtbr member
    I've seen guys like this at our local trails just hanging in the p-lot. Then I've watched them get on their bikes and kill a trail and pass me like I was some newb that had never rode a bike before- and do it on a single speed After meeting some of them I learned that they basically built the trail and were great guys . They just liked to meet everyone that rode the trail and get their input on it

Enthusiast
    Is there something I am missing out on? Is this a tradition to spend a hour in the parking lot?
    People are just being social. Some of my friends I only ever see at the trailhead. (They are fast enough and I am slow enough that I sure don't see them much while riding ).

Hanging out with friends is part of the whole experience.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Quint View Post
    This is a silly thread.
    Aren't they all?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    on weekday after work rides i make all my adjustments (usually just air) at the trailhead parking lot. for every 10 minutes i spend at my house getting ready, my travel time increases by almost the same amount of time because of traffic. i usually spend less than 10 mins at the trail parking lot though...

i like when people loiter at the trailhead. i get to see all the cool looking bicycles.

AZ
    banned

Could I have a side of get a clue with that?

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Could I have a side of get a clue with that?
    For here or to go?
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Maybe they're just trolling the parking lot looking to turn a trick or two in the port-o-john?
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

On wuss patrol
    You're new here aren't you...
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    Maybe they're just trolling the parking lot looking to turn a trick or two in the port-o-john?
    Those trails suck...
    Officials aim to eliminate illegal sex at Olin-Turville Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered View Post
    Haha!
    We have this one trail system here where the singletrack sucks, but it's pretty epic if you're into getting barebacked by horny meth heads
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I can tell when someone is meeting someone or just chillin before or after a ride these guys just think they are BA and looking down there nose at people coming to actually ride there bikes.
    This sounds like a classic case of paranoid schizophrenia. At least that's what I'm hoping because you don't sound like you have many friends. The cure for that is hang out, socialize and help others out at your local trail head. You meet some of the nicest folks at trail heads that just so happen share your passion of MTB!

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Who's the bigger d00chbag - people in the parking lot doing nothing, or the guy ranting about people in the parking lot doing nothing?
    ^ this

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by srey View Post
    Too many people view everything as a zero-sum game.
    Well said!

mtbr member
    Hey the only posers I enjoy watching are when women mtb'ers gather. Now with that I could sit there ALL damn day..

Tails

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Somebody's got a serious case of little wee-wee syndrome.

mtbr member
    Who cares what other people are doing in the lots?...hanging out/talking/whatever...does it really matter?...Im there to ride..so I ride..there has been times Ive hung out with my friends before and after a ride. What does it matter so much what other people are doing?...if it bothers you that much go some place more remote and ride by yourself.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    i sometimes pull out a folding chair and take a break in between runs and say hey to guys just getting there. my bike is usually ready to go the night before but for me but it's relaxing to take my time. to each their own. if you let this bother you, your life is going to be stressful. just enjoy it and have fun.
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

mtbr member
    I never really care except when some a**holes are getting changed near their vehicles when little kids are at the playground right behind them.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

I have seen newbies that buy $4,000 bikes and come all geared out with big camelbaks, energy bars, $100 carbon fiber gloves, and whatnot only to barely ride their bikes a few feet into the trail and then take 30 minute breaks talking about how cool their bikes are, or how much money they spent on an upgrade. I have seen it firsthand.

Yes, it's annoying. But who cares? Let them be, they're not hurting anyone or causing trouble to your ride.

banned
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhausen View Post
    I never really care except when some a**holes are getting changed near their vehicles when little kids are at the playground right behind them.
    As long as they're not exposing their privates I don't see what the problem is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I kind of agree. When I do any kind of ride with other people, I make sure my bike is dialed before I show up. Then when I get to the trailhead I put on my shoes, helmet, gloves and Camelbak and I'm ready in 5 minutes.

Its one of my pet peeves when people take forever to get ready. I've ridden with guys who are repairing their bikes before the ride while everyone waits.

Now after the ride is a different story. I'll hang out for a while and drink beers.
    Vermonter - bikes, beers and skis.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Old saying: "You judge me, you make yourself look bad."

I spent a couple of seasons of full time rock climbing. Many of us literally lived in the parking lots in the back of our trucks.

I suppose someone that didn’t know us could think we were posers too…..

Maybe you should get to know these guys, you might find some cool dudes to ride with....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn View Post
    This sounds like a classic case of paranoid schizophrenia. At least that's what I'm hoping because you don't sound like you have many friends. The cure for that is hang out, socialize and help others out at your local trail head. You meet some of the nicest folks at trail heads that just so happen share your passion of MTB!

^ this
    When I ride solo, I got one thing on my mind - RIDE. I don't care what others are doing. I don't care what others are talking about. I don't care what's going on in the parking lot. Just ride - every minute I take up looking at other things and pondering the social-economic aspects of mountain biking is another minute lost of my precious riding time.

There are a couple of things that really bother me in regards to human behavior (I mean, I have a list, but these two pertain to this thread): 1) People not minding their own fukcing business and 2) trail cops. Trail cops are all those who feel they need to patrol the trails, feel that everything that differs what they are doing is "ruining the image of the sport" and claims that "they better not bring that attitude to OUR trails".

Hey ass4ole: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

Unless they're instigating fights, riding super dangerously or destroying trails, mind your business. A small skid by braking hard is not worth "OMG, YOU'RE DESTROYING OUR TRAILS!" Skids happen, move along.

And, if something seriously warrants patrolling, I leave that up to the Rangers. That's what I pay them for through my taxes. That's their job; my job is to report crime and keep paying my taxes.

And when people buy expensive stuff, pose, yuck it up... well, good for them. Heck, pose all day - less riders on the trail for me. Either they have worked their asses off the obtain those items or they have a nice, fat limit on their credit card, or somebody loves them enough to buy these things for them. When this stuff bothers you, we have a name for that. It's call being a "HATER".

Heck, go buy more stuff and sell the one-year old "outdated" stuff to me for cheap.

Spending money stimulates the economy, and if posers want to spend, by all means - GO SPEND.

And in the end, these poser perceptions are completely unsubstantiated. When I ride with our little wrecking crew, "Team Social Pace", some of these guys are top-of-the-heap Cat2 racers on very nice XC bikes. We yuck it up, and a lot of guys will "hammer" past us... I always think that's funny when they're gleaming with pride at the top of a climb after "beating" us.

mtbr member
    I like how the OP complains about annoying people that at the trailhead and how he is criticized by a bunch of people who are complaining about how the OP chooses to spend his time posting... Makes this thread fun with all the hypocrisy and stuff.

banned
    Please don't feed trolls.

mtbr member
    I like to bring out my pee wee herman bike and let people ask me how it handles the gnar.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danhasdrums View Post
    I like how the OP complains about annoying people that at the trailhead and how he is criticized by a bunch of people who are complaining about how the OP chooses to spend his time posting... Makes this thread fun with all the hypocrisy and stuff.
    Two Jews come to their rabbi to solve an argument.
    One speaks for couple of hours, telling whole story of his family, and in the end says:"So this goat belongs to me!"
    "You are right, Moshe!" the rabbi replies.
    Then the other Jew tells his side of the story, not even trying to make it brief, and in the end says: "This means, the goat belongs to me!"
    The rabbi says: "You are right, Abraham!"
    A surprised apprentice of the rabbi whispers at his ear: "Rabbi, but if Moshe is right, then Abraham isn't, and if Abraham is right, then Moshe isn't"
    "You are right too, Menachem!" is the rabbi's answer.

The OP is right, the bunch of people are right and you are right too!
    Last edited by xenon; 05-07-2012 at 09:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Wow Some one did not like my POST !

Parking lot Posers!!! 05-07-2012 09:36 AM weak troll Thanks for giving me some sweet Feedback Why not leave you name when you give some one Negative feedback.. What a LOser your are !!

Wasn't me, but your post was pretty douchie and now you're whining. AndrwSwitch

QUITYUR*****IN.

Thanks Wow This is Awesome !! it just show you what kind of People hide over the Net what a Bunch a Tards !!

2 news ones !! Love them Keep it up !!

What a baby,,,,,,,,,,,,

Got a New one lastNight this stuff is to good to make it up that's for sure !!

Mostly because I don't like your attitude and you're being a ******bag. Have a good posing sesh. -erik
    BTW DoYou Must ride a Huffy ?

OBTW Thanks for all the LOVE !!!

Two New ones tonight Love It !!

Get the **** over it.
    Just Stop With It. Um NO !!!!5-8

New one tonight LOve This one 5-9

Dont hate cuz ur poor !!! <---- That is awesome !! What a Lame Tard This person must ride a Huffy ?
    Last edited by YETI_Chris; 05-09-2012 at 09:30 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    I could not have said that any better.. I hate Posers thinking they that there bikes are better and can blow by anyone... Ha I can do that on a 500 dollar bike !!

Parking lot Posers!!! 05-07-2012 09:36 AM weak troll Thanks for giving me some sweet Feedback Why not leave you name when you give some one Negative feedback.. What a LOser your are !!

What did you expect? I didn't rep ya but I suspect I won't have to as many others will.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped
    I didn't give it to you but you deserve it. Your post was almost as *****ie as the OP.

AZ
    banned
    This is almost as bad as the forum posers who spend all their time criticizing how others post. Only difference is the OP kept his opinion to himself when at the trailhead while here, many responders to the post are acting high and mighty about their own ability to ignore that which they don't agree with and ride on... Great stuff.

Complaining about criticizing with criticism, pot meet kettle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    When I ride solo, I got one thing on my mind - RIDE. I don't care what others are doing. I don't care what others are talking about. I don't care what's going on in the parking lot. Just ride - every minute I take up looking at other things and pondering the social-economic aspects of mountain biking is another minute lost of my precious riding time.

There are a couple of things that really bother me in regards to human behavior (I mean, I have a list, but these two pertain to this thread): 1) People not minding their own fukcing business and 2) trail cops. Trail cops are all those who feel they need to patrol the trails, feel that everything that differs what they are doing is "ruining the image of the sport" and claims that "they better not bring that attitude to OUR trails".

Hey ass4ole: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.

Unless they're instigating fights, riding super dangerously or destroying trails, mind your business. A small skid by braking hard is not worth "OMG, YOU'RE DESTROYING OUR TRAILS!" Skids happen, move along.

And, if something seriously warrants patrolling, I leave that up to the Rangers. That's what I pay them for through my taxes. That's their job; my job is to report crime and keep paying my taxes.

And when people buy expensive stuff, pose, yuck it up... well, good for them. Heck, pose all day - less riders on the trail for me. Either they have worked their asses off the obtain those items or they have a nice, fat limit on their credit card, or somebody loves them enough to buy these things for them. When this stuff bothers you, we have a name for that. It's call being a "HATER".

Heck, go buy more stuff and sell the one-year old "outdated" stuff to me for cheap.

Spending money stimulates the economy, and if posers want to spend, by all means - GO SPEND.

And in the end, these poser perceptions are completely unsubstantiated. When I ride with our little wrecking crew, "Team Social Pace", some of these guys are top-of-the-heap Cat2 racers on very nice XC bikes. We yuck it up, and a lot of guys will "hammer" past us... I always think that's funny when they're gleaming with pride at the top of a climb after "beating" us.
    Word.

I tune my bike right before but that doesn't mean you shouldn't re check it at the trail head. Loading and unloading can bend a derailleur. Air shocks might lose air over night. Do you have the correct amount of air in the tires for trail conditions? Maybe your hub has a little play that you didn't catch before. I don't see what the rush is at the trail head. I'm there to be outside and have fun after a long rainy winter. Who cares what others are doing.

Honestly I never noticed nor did this ever cross my mind until this thread.

One thing I hate in this sport are elitist bikers.

banned

And your cryin about gettin hit with some neg rep after such a pathetic attempt? Sack up Nancy. If your going to post nonsensical crap expect repercussions. And thanks for the rep.
    Last edited by roadie scum; 05-07-2012 at 09:36 AM.

mtbr member
    This is almost as bad as the forum posers who spend all their time criticizing how others post. Only difference is the OP kept his opinion to himself when at the trailhead while here, many responders to the post are acting high and mighty about their own ability to ignore that which they don't agree with and ride on... Great stuff.

Hermit

I'm with ya on this. But then again doing something like mtb for the social aspect is just beyond me, so I may not exactly have the prevailing opinion on this. If you wann BS that's fine, but not on my bike time!

I've seen the same thing many times with whitewater trips. Bunch of boaters hanging out in the parking lot doing nothing but talking. When I used to lead club trips people knew not to show up late or they'd be alone in that parking lot.

But I do grudgingly accept that it takes all types, so whatever.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Having Kids

I use to rush get on my bike and go but since having kids I cherish the time in the lot with the boys. Many times it is the only opportunity I have to interact with adults. My buddies are all getting busy so it feels great to complete a ride then kick back in the lot and have some laughs. I think a lot of people ride for social reasons.

banned

There is much butthurt in this post. Criticizing criticism, thats a good one.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I always kick myself for getting dragged into these threads.

I've been a bit of a stereotype about my riding lately. Last time I went MTBing, I even had matching shorts and jersey with a lot of brand names plastered all over them. So I'm sure that when I pass the groups of men "of a certain age" standing around and catching their breathe and think "newbie" or "poser," they're thinking the same thing.

Really, the only people I'd rather not have in the sport are the ones who feel a need to share with me that I need to put XTR all over my bike, or stick an F100 on the front, if I'm going to be serious about mountain biking. WTF does serious about mountain biking even mean? I'm never going to be paid to ride mine, and neither are almost all the people I have that discussion with.

Clipless pedals and flat pedals are both fine. There, I said it. Deal.

Blasphemer.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I always kick myself for getting dragged into these threads.

I've been a bit of a stereotype about my riding lately. Last time I went MTBing, I even had matching shorts and jersey with a lot of brand names plastered all over them. So I'm sure that when I pass the groups of men "of a certain age" standing around and catching their breathe and think "newbie" or "poser," they're thinking the same thing.

Really, the only people I'd rather not have in the sport are the ones who feel a need to share with me that I need to put XTR all over my bike, or stick an F100 on the front, if I'm going to be serious about mountain biking. WTF does serious about mountain biking even mean? I'm never going to be paid to ride mine, and neither are almost all the people I have that discussion with.

Clipless pedals and flat pedals are both fine. There, I said it. Deal.

mtbr member
    The difference is that he posted it here, which indicates that he was seeking either affirmation or a debate. People commenting on this thread are only commenting because the OP was asking for it.

"So let's recap here:
    You asked a question.
    You got an answer.
    You proceed to make an ass out of yourself."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    And your cryin about gettin hit with some neg rep after such a pathetic attempt? Sack up Nancy. If your going to post nonsensical crap expect repercussions. And thanks for the rep.
    Not Crying you Lame Tard !! just think its funny that people are PVSSSYs on the Net and dont fess up to how they post !!

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    It does take all kinds, doesn't it.

The dudes in the lot are either:
    1) wrapping up a really good outing
    2) waiting for their incessantly late friend(s)
    3) giving the other apparently slow folks in the parking lot a big head start so the trail is clear when they go
    4) giving the other apparently fast folks in the lot a head start so the trail is clear when they go
    5) dressed like MTBers so they can steal your car easier
    6) having an impromptu bike show
    7) found out they were supposed to meet at a different trailhead that's 10 miles away and 10,000 vertical feet up
    8) hoping some girls show up
    9) procrastinating about going back home
    10) seeing if anyone is up for another lap
    11) it probably doesn't matter

-F
    12)Waiting to fire up a big ole hooter.

Professional Crastinator
    It does take all kinds, doesn't it.

The dudes in the lot are either:
    1) wrapping up a really good outing
    2) waiting for their incessantly late friend(s)
    3) giving the other apparently slow folks in the parking lot a big head start so the trail is clear when they go
    4) giving the other apparently fast folks in the lot a head start so the trail is clear when they go
    5) dressed like MTBers so they can steal your car easier
    6) having an impromptu bike show
    7) found out they were supposed to meet at a different trailhead that's 10 miles away and 10,000 vertical feet up
    8) hoping some girls show up
    9) procrastinating about going back home
    10) seeing if anyone is up for another lap
    11) it probably doesn't matter

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

banned
    Not Crying you Lame Tard !! just think its funny that people are PVSSSYs on the Net and dont fess up to how they post !!

You're still cryin. Just stop it.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

I have seen newbies that buy $4,000 bikes and come all geared out with big camelbaks, energy bars, $100 carbon fiber gloves, and whatnot only to barely ride their bikes a few feet into the trail and then take 30 minute breaks talking about how cool their bikes are, or how much money they spent on an upgrade. I have seen it firsthand.

Yes, it's annoying. But who cares? Let them be, they're not hurting anyone or causing trouble to your ride.
    For a lot of people $4000 is pocket change. Good for them for taking up the sport.

AZ
    banned
    Never mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Why do you guys even read your rep?

mtbr member
    Quit worrying a about guys in the parking lots.

Honestly, I see more racer types "posing" than us ride for fun and have beers types. We are there for fun.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the OP is a new member. Possibly a troll tying to get you all worked up.

IRONMTB

mtbr member

Posts: 8 <------------------------------------------------------

Rep:
    user gallery
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member

Troll?

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the OP is a new member. Possibly a troll tying to get you all worked up.

IRONMTB

mtbr member

Posts: 8 <------------------------------------------------------

Rep:
    user gallery
    That quick to say someone is a troll. Wow!!! Yes I am a new member but not a Troll sorry to dissapoint you and from what I can tell I spend way more time on the trail and not posting on here every waking moment!

hence not working on my profile and concerned about my rep!!!!!!!

mtbr member

Haha!! Enjoyed your post here. I'm like you in a sense. I do all my maintenance and prep when I get back from a ride so the bike's clean and ready for the next ride instead of being met by surprises.

So I go out on a mountain bike trip once a year with a bunch of other people. AND. I face the same situation with other "friends" as they're up drinking beer and goofing off while I'm cleaning or maintaining my bike. So it never fails, we are doing circles in the parking lot or loading up and they're lubing up their chain, airing up their tires, looking for their sunscreen, filling their bladders, looking for their socks. Mind you it's getting close to noon already....I've been up since 6 and done with breakfast since 8. Used to burn me up. Then I realized they don't care, they're not phased. Then I realized it's not just bike riding. Some people are just like that in life whether it's getting ready for a ride or going out to dinner or getting to the airport. Some people are just lolly-gaggers" and seem to just not worry about sh*T like that.

Good luck with that, hope it doesn't push the blood pressure up too much, I've been softening up and learning to live with it. Not always easy and I get to those limits still at time. Just realize they're not going to change unless they decide to. And sometimes I've noticed when pushing people to move faster, they move slower and create lots of static..........Oh well............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shenny88 View Post
    Even when i ride alone, when i finish a ride i like to just relax for a minute. Maybe just sit with my bike and look around. Usually the trailheads have a nice little scenery. AND i like to observe other people, their bikes, their cars, their pre/post-ride rituals...
    Maybe im one of those guys with "that look" on my face, but its just me looking around, chilling.
    ^^^^this^^^^ Is probably what you are mistaking for "poseurs"..

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    That quick to say someone is a troll. Wow!!! Yes I am a new member but not a Troll sorry to dissapoint you and from what I can tell I spend way more time on the trail and not posting on here every waking moment!

hence not working on my profile and concerned about my rep!!!!!!!
    Oh sorry then my comment was meant towards some members that register under a new name just to post stuff to piss off other members. If you are not one of these and truelly a new member my apologies then.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Enthusiast
    Ok. Enough! I admit it: Some days I am just too tired and weak of leg to ride.

So I put on all my gear and drive to the trail head.

There I pull out my bike.

I lube my chain.

I diddle with my derailleur.

Check the shock pressures.

Check the tire pressures.

Inventory my Camelbak.

Everyone sees me "getting ready" for a ride.

When no one's looking, I sneak into the restroom and splash a bit of water on my t-shirt. Looks like sweat.

Maybe I smear some dirt around the bike too.

Everyone comes back from their ride and sees me all sweaty.

We have a beer together and talk about trail conditions.

I pack up the bike and go home.

Some days all I am is a parking-lot poser.

mtbr member
    Me too! Actually I don't even ride, I just post here and pose at the lots.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member

This is nothing new. I saw this when I first started in 1998. Guys would buy the latest gear and show up to look cool for a while in parking lot. Then run may be 2 miles and call it day. When I rode with my friends we never worried about how cool you bike was, but cared about how hard you rode. Our saying was that it was not really a ride if you did nto come back bleeding somewhere.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    12)Waiting to fire up a big ole hooter.
    On the very rare occasion that this has happened, they weren't waiting and they brought enough to share. Then I got a big head start and those guys still passed me before I finished my lap.
    Might be something to that whole "chemically enhanced" riding experience... just floating along....

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Only things bad about hanging out at the parking lot before or after a ride is that it takes parking space form others. A local trail I frequent is very popular on nice days but it has a small lot. On busy days you can see cars parked along the busy road with NoParking signs because they can't fit into the lot.

One time I remember I saw a guy cleaning is brand new Spesh on his hitch rack when I was heading out. By the time I got back, he was rinsing it down with a bucket of water. There is no fountain/faucet at this lot. Mind you, it took me an hour to ride the loop.
    This was the only time I really noticed a poser.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    This is something everyone here should read - I posted it in the Beginner forum (found from a 'General' post by SlowerThenSnot)

basically - if you are on a bike you are not a poseur...whether or not you take your time hanging out in a parking lot, ride only 2 miles....or have the $$ to buy high end and like your rig clean.

duh.

If you think your bike looks good, it does.

If you like the way your bike rides, it’s an awesome bike.

You don’t need to spend a million dollars to have a great bike, but if you do spend a million dollars and know what you want you’ll probably also have a great bike.

Yes, you can tour on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can race on your bike – whatever it is.

Yes, you can commute on your bike – whatever it is.

26” wheels or 29” or 650b or 700c or 24” or 20” or whatever – yes, that wheel size is rad and you’ll probably get where you’re going.

Disc brakes, cantis, v-brakes, and road calipers all do a great job of stopping a bike when they’re working and adjusted.

No paint job makes everyone happy.

Yes, you can put a rack on that. Get some p-clamps if there are no mounts.

Steel is a great material for making bike frames - so is aluminum, carbon fiber, and titanium.

You can have your saddle at whatever angle makes you happy.

Your handlebars can be lower than your saddle, even with your saddle, or higher than your saddle. Whichever way you like it is right.

Being shuttled up a downhill run does not make you a weak person, nor does choosing not to fly off of a 10 foot drop.

Bike frames made overseas can be super cool. Bike frames made in the USA can be super cool.

Hey, tattooed and pierced long shorts wearin flat brim hat red bull drinkin white Oakley sportin rad person on your full suspension big hit bike – nice work out there.

Hey, little round glasses pocket protector collared shirt skid lid rear view mirror sandal wearing schwalbe marathon running pletscher two-leg kickstand tourist – good job.

Hey, shaved leg skinny as hell super duper tan line hear rate monitor checking power tap train in the basement all winter super loud lycra kit million dollar wheels racer – keep it up.

The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

The following short answers are good answers, but not the only ones for the question asked – 29”, Brooks, lugged, disc brake, steel, Campagnolo, helmet, custom, Rohloff, NJS, carbon, 31.8, clipless, porteur.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

Sometimes, recumbent bikes are ok.

Your bikeshop is not trying to screw you. They’re trying to stay open.

Buying things off of the internet is great, except when it sucks.

Some people know more about bikes than you do. Other people know less.

Maybe the person you waved at while you were out riding didn’t see you wave at them.

It sucks to be harassed by *******s in cars while you’re on a bike. It also sucks to drive behind *******s on bikes.

Did you build that yourself? Awesome. Did you buy that? Cool.

Wheelies are the best trick ever invented. That’s just a fact.

Which is better, riding long miles, or hanging out under a bridge doing tricks? Yes.

Yes, you can break your collar bone riding a bike like that.

Stopping at stop signs is probably a good idea.

Driving with your bikes on top of your car to get to a dirt trail isn’t ideal, but for most people it’s necessary.

If your bike has couplers, or if you have a spendy bike case, or if you pay a shop to pack your bike, or if you have a folding bike, shipping a bike is still a pain in the ass for everyone involved.

That dent in your frame is probably ok, but maybe it’s not. You should get it looked at.

Touch up paint always looks like ****. Often it looks worse than the scratch.

A pristine bike free of dirt, scratches, and wear marks makes me sort of sad.

A bike that’s been chained to the same tree for three years caked with rust and missing parts makes me sad too.

Bikes purchased at Wal-mart, Target, Costco, or K-mart are generally not the best bang for your buck.

Toe overlap is not the end of the world, unless you crash and die – then it is.

Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Yes, you can buy a bike without riding it first. It would be nice to ride it first, but it’s not a deal breaker not to.

Ownership of a truing stand does not a wheel builder make.

32 spokes, 48 spokes, 24 spokes, three spokes? Sure.

Single speed bikes are rad. Bikes with derailleurs and cassettes are sexy. Belt drive internal gear bikes work great too.

Columbus, TruTemper, Reynolds, Ishiwata, or no brand? I’d ride it.

Tubeless tires are pretty cool. So are tubes.

The moral of RAGBRAI is that families and drunken boobs can have fun on the same route, just maybe at different times of day.

Riding by yourself kicks ass. You might also try riding with a group.

Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else.

Stopping can be as much fun as riding.

Lots of people worked their asses off to build whatever you’re riding on. You should thank them.
    originally posted by Skip Bernet on the Surly Blog - 06.16.2011
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Where else am I going to drink my beer?
    :wq

Pro Crastinator
    typical girl. always caring about what someone else is up to...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I love rolling up to the TH and have people mir'in my bike(s), u mad bro?

In all seriousness, mind your bizness.
    18 Focus Raven Lite
    17 Focus o1e
    17 Yeti ASR-cT
    16 Bianchi Specialissima
    15 Echo Big Deal

REALLY?
    To answer the OP I was going to say pre-ride "tail-gate party"...

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by big terry View Post
    im never in that much of a hurry. hell, they could be chillin in the lot waiting for you to GTFO so they can spark that joint they dont wanna share with the dude they dont know.

ride your own ride.
    Next time you see me at the trailhead or half way up the trail taking a JOINT/BOWL break (and I ALWAYS do), dont be shy, c'mon over, I love to share.
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Axe
    Custom User Title
    I like pancakes.

mtbr member
    I'm gonna skip the race this weekend and post up in the parking lot, shot gun some beers, and hit on all the other racers wives while wearing my lyrca jacked up so high it looks like a can of biscuits exploded in my crotch area.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

Is not amused
    Has anyone tried the Finish Line gear floss? I want to try some next time I'm at the trail head so people come over and socialize.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Finish Line gear floss? I want to try some next time I'm at the trail head so people come over and socialize.
    You could also suggest to try out various kinds of butt lube. My favorite is Butt'r and Brave Soldier. DZ nuts is not too bad, kinda fresh smelling - just do not suggest it to female riders. It does have a female specific version.

mtbr member

Geeze Louise, What are you doing checking out other people and what business is it of yours to know or care what they are doing?
    Dude, you are kinda a weirdo... please do not look at my bike or say anything... just peddle away.

I like turtles
    Love hanging out with my wrecking crew...Team BID (beer is delicious)....post ride. Like to have a beer and recap..like to talk to others, look at bikes, talk about bikes etc. it's kind of a post ride ritual. Next time I go, we will scowl at everyone, kick someone's dog, and then manual off someone's car while yelling "GET SOME *****ES!".
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Why do you guys even read your rep?
    You can read your rep?
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    You can read your rep?
    My point exactly.

Fat-tired Roadie
    ^^^
    Oh, snap.

I do enjoy it when people say nice things, though.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Possum Jones View Post
    ...while wearing my lyrca jacked up so high it looks like a can of biscuits exploded in my crotch area.

Fat-tired Roadie
    By the way, if I go to a turn workshop in the parking lot of an abandoned grocery store...

...does that make me a poser? (Starts in a bit under an hour.)

Broken but on the mend
    this thread ruffeled alot of feathers. if the OP doesnt like these people who cares. some people just want to ride no need to rip on him it. he also said he thought he was getting sized up by these guys. this is a forum let him vent or express his opnion with out ripping the dude apart

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    ...DZ nuts is not too bad, kinda fresh smelling - just do not suggest it to female riders. It does have a female specific version.
    DZ lips?

I hate that name.
    Like others said, why all the concern for what I do in the parking lot? Yes, I check the air in my tires and suspension, yes I put a wrench to certain fasteners on the bike. I like to be sure, mechanicals suck. Sometimes I actually need to fix something that only became apparent just now while I was getting ready. Sometimes my buddy's bike needs to be fixed before he can ride, and he waited for me to get there because he's not a wrench. On the rare occasion that I use a Camelbak, I fill it up in the parking lot. Why? Because the Camlebak and the water that goes into it never leave the truck. Neither does the bike for that matter, my truck is like a mobile garage.

I see the guys often that come flying up in their cars/trucks, pull out the bikes and awaaay they go in less time than it takes me to get my helmet situated (it's complicated). Half the time without a helmet themselves. I usually see them again soon after I get rolling, taking their first break 15 minutes into the trail. I'm always cool to them with a greeting or ask if everything's ok as I ride by.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0