Overcoming fear of Snakes?- Mtbr.com
    the navigator

Overcoming fear of Snakes?

I've only been riding for a little while, mostly in winter/fall time frame, so this week was a first. (And yes, I'm a total wuss)

I decided to ride the local trails, but a little ways in I had to stop dead in my tracks and turn around - I was so focused on the possibility of snakes being all around me that I was too scared to continue (didn't help that I saw one on my way out). I've never felt so paralyzed in my life and I have no idea why it came to me all of a sudden.

I've always been afraid of snakes, mostly because the ones we have down South are the aggressive, venomous, hard to see type (Copperheads, Eastern D-Backs and Cottonmouths) and several times I've almost stepped on/ridden over one not knowing it was there.

I don't want to stop my riding because of this, but I have no idea how to deal with it- doesn't happen nearly as bad when I hike, and maybe it's because I can slow down to a crawl and scan my area? Either way, i really wish i could overcome this so i can enjoy the outdoors more.

Has anyone else had a similar issue that they've been able to overcome?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Hawg, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

heaven help me
    Oct 2005
    Wait until you look down at your front wheel and the tire has turned into a snake.

mtbr member
    Do you ride trails with much traffic? If you do, you shouldn't worry too much about snakes on the trail.

Remember, even our southern snakes would rather not bite you, but if startled will react.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

the navigator
    Yeah, they're pretty - I guess my worry is taking a gnarly wipe-out (which I tend to do) or resting and disturbing our limb-less friends.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Years ago I was out with my friends riding up a valley (not mountain bikers, they were just out for fun) on a leisurely trail. A small garter snake was on the trail. I yelled out SNAKE! and my friend who is terrified of snakes freaked out and turned around. We didn't catch up to him until 5 km later back at the trailhead. Not sure if it was sweat or tears running down his face. Poor guy, we try to talk him into overcoming his fear but he is a wuss.
    All I am saying is give pizza chants

Cycologist
    I'm in Georgia and I've never come across a poisonous snake while mountain biking. I believe 'bama is similar to GA, rattlesnakes are extremely rare, I've only seen one in about 40 years of living in GA and it was in the road. Cottonmouths aren't that common, a lot of people think any snake near water is a cottonmouth but most of them are brown water snakes. If you're in northern Alabama, the water may be too cool for them. Copperheads, well, for some reason they seem to be a lot more an issue in yards than the woods from my experience, had two at my last house.

That may not help you so much but consider three things:

1) Riding your bike, you'll be past a snake before it has a chance to react. The odds of crashing where a snake would be an issue is extremely low.

2) You're a LOT bigger than a snake, you may not believe it but it is a lot more afraid of you than you are of it. If you're on a bike, probably more so.

3) Driving a car is more dangerous than snakes.

I'm sure you realize that your fear is not rational. Try to keep your mind focused on something else when you ride.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Get in touch with your kin.

"they will pick up serpents, and if they drink any deadly poison it will not hurt them, and they will lay hands on the sick and they will heal"

When I'm out in the middle of nowhere mtbing and come across somebody I like to ask them if they have seen any cobra-rattlers out here. It usually elicites a look of confused concern that turns into a smile. I then give them serious look and say they're out here, watch out for the cobra-rattlers and the confused concern returns. Then a leave having done my part.

Watch out for the cobra-rattlers man, they're out there.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Snakes tell us what to do.

rOCktoberfest 2015 pt I here
    rOCktoberfest 2015 pt II here

Cycologist
    Oh, and remember, the King snakes are common and they are the bad asses, they are the king because they will eat the venomous snakes but they are not venomous. Yeah, king snakes are on your side. King snakes are cool.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

Snakes are awesome. Just be aware of your surroundings in venomous snake habitat. We are lucky in he US to have a venomous snake that rattles to warn you of their presence. Of course there are others besides rattlesnakes but just be aware at all times of where you step and put your hands.

Awareness is key.

I've seen many rattlesnakes and various others. Was a huge snake catcher as a kid. I even had a pet rattlesnake in my early 20's. Not much of a snuggly pet but fascinating to watch. My coolest snake encounter in the wild was seeing a Sidewinder in the Glamis sand dunes in Southern California. I saw his bizarre sideways tracks in the sand and followed up over a sand dune and there he was.

Overcoming fear of Snakes?-img_9984.jpg
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Snakes are your friend.

All I am saying is give pizza chants

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Snakes are your friend.

lol!!
    The internet never disappoints

Cycologist
    Poor OP's probably never going to leave his house again after you guys.

Pipe Dreamer
    Snake bites are the worst!

Overcoming fear of Snakes?-snakebite.jpg
    This space intentionally left blank. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Stole this image off FB. Taken about 4 hours ago, and about 5 miles from where me and Susie were riding up there at about the same time.

Chaz, Huntsville may be unique to the regular venomous snake population of North Alabama, but I've seen at least a dozen of these guys in the last few years up there.

the navigator
    I'll just hide in my fallout shelter for the rest of the summer, thanks 👍😂
    IMHO, I feel like the snakes out west are easier to spot. Like that photo (I think Dirtjunkie?) posted, that snake was out there in the sand. Pretty easy to spot even when going fast.

This one below, however, is what we have to deal with. You can barely see the Copperhead without looking at the still for a few seconds - my biggest fear is the whole "snake in the tire" (or my leg!) thing posted above b/c I won't be able to spot it as easily when going fast. Overcoming fear of Snakes?-jwb8pxk.jpg

Afric Pepperbird
    I just was reading on a different forum someone saying they have a "legitimate" phobia of frogs. WTF, people??!!

the navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Stole this image off FB. Taken about 4 hours ago, and about 5 miles from where me and Susie were riding up there at about the same time.

Chaz, Huntsville may be unique to the regular venomous snake population of North Alabama, but I've seen at least a dozen of these guys in the last few years up there.

Yup, I tried going up to Monte Sano Park last July only to be greeted by an outstretched snake that spanned both lanes of a section of the road. I GTFO'd out of there and that was the last time I tried summer riding. Heck, I was riding on the sidewalk in Jones Valley and ran over a Copperhead.

Now that I'm farther south, I feel like those scenarios will only become more common.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by seakoala View Post
    Heck, I was riding on the sidewalk in Jones Valley and ran over a Copperhead.
    Was this right after they built up the shopping center there? I imagine that construction displaced lots of wildlife in that area.

the navigator
    Nah, I was in front of Jones Valley Elementary - however, they've had snake problems there for a lonnnng time. I remember back in 4th grade (over a decade ago, I'm getting old haha) some poor teacher had an encounter with a copperhead that was under her car. I think the Walton's Mtn developments had a lot to do with bringing them down to the school area.

Rabid Lana Fan
    Skip ahead to about 1:05....this was on the top, on the gravel road that goes out to O'shaunassy Point.

http://vimeo.com/album/2458504/video/69358509

the navigator
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker View Post
    Skip ahead to about 1:05....this was on the top, on the gravel road that goes out to O'shaunassy Point.

http://vimeo.com/album/2458504/video/69358509
    I had no idea they were that slow... or cared that little about humans. Still wouldn't want to come across one, haha

Cycologist
    So Net, are they Easterns or Canebrakes? If Easterns, maybe the higher elevation where I am is why they aren't around (?) You can keep them.

Rabid Lana Fan
    I think they're Easterns, and I don't want them!

****** to the dirt
    Move to Canada, we ain't got none of that here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Better to not ever go outside again. Stupid flying cobra-rattlers...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    ...I decided to ride the local trails, but a little ways in I had to stop dead in my tracks and turn around - I was so focused on the possibility of snakes being all around me that I was too scared to continue (didn't help that I saw one on my way out). I've never felt so paralyzed in my life and I have no idea why it came to me all of a sudden.

I've always been afraid of snakes, mostly because the ones we have down South are the aggressive, venomous, hard to see type.......Has anyone else had a similar issue that they've been able to overcome?
    OP, I have the same issue too but let me tell you what happened to me when i first started riding many moons ago.

The first time I encountered a snake on my bike. It was this fierce looking monstrosity hell bent on taking me down. I tried to instinctively pull my foot away but I could not. However hard I tried, my foot just would not budge. It had got me. My foot was paralyzed all in a matter of seconds. I was a goner. I am going to die out here in the woods I thought. Alone. Meanwhile, as all this is going through my mind, I am careening out of control but just when I am about to crash, I am able to miraculously dismount my bike. All thoughts at this point turn to fleeing this monster. So I start running down the trail. I am relieved to put distance between me and this evil creature. But as I am running down the trail, I suddenly realize that my once paralyzed foot is now aiding into propelling me at a pretty good clip. About 20 feet down the trail, the ridiculousness of the situation suddenly dawns me. I stop and turn around and my bike is lying to the side of the trail, wheels spinning with a single clipless pedal sticking up mocking me! I courageously walk back to retrieve my bike and about 15 feet up the side of the trail is this "fearsome" black snake, about a foot long, probably less, and no bigger than my thumb going about its business as if nothing had happened.

Lessons I learned that day; I am a wuss. Snakes will not hunt me down. My muscle memory is well trained for clipping out of my pedals.

Every season I see at least 2 snakes on the trails. I am I startled and afraid? Yes. Do I take off running down the trail? No. I like to think I have made progress and so will you.

Enjoy the outdoors!
    Last edited by Brodino; 04-17-2017 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    OP, I have the same issue too but let me tell you what happened to me when i first started riding many moons ago.

The first time I encountered a snake on my bike. It was this fierce looking monstrosity hell bent on taking me down. I tried to instinctively pull my foot away but I could not. However hard I tried, my foot just would not budge. It had got me. My foot was paralyzed all in a matter of seconds. I was a goner. I am going to die out here in the woods I thought. Alone. Meanwhile, as all this is going through my mind, I am careening out of control but just when I am about to crash, I am able to miraculously dismount my bike. All thoughts at this point turn to fleeing this monster. So I start running down the trail. I am relieved to put distance between me and this evil creature. But as I am running down the trail, I suddenly realize that my once paralyzed foot is now aiding into propelling me at a pretty good clip. About 20 feet down the trail, the ridiculousness of the situation suddenly dawns me. I stop and turn around and my bike is lying to the side of the trail, wheels spinning with a single clipless pedal sticking up mocking me! I courageously walk back to retrieve my bike and about 15 feet up the side of the trail is this "fearsome" black snake, about a foot long, probably less, and no bigger than my thumb going about its business as if nothing had happened.

Lessons I learned that day; I am a wuss. Snakes will not hunt me down. My muscle memory is well trained for clipping out of my pedals.

Every season I see at least 2 snakes on the trails. I am I startled and afraid? Yes. Do I take off running down the trail? No. I like to think I have made progress and so will you.

Enjoy the outdoors!
    Similar thing happened to me once. Luckily it dawned on me I had eaten some acid about 2 hours before. Turns out I was merely sitting in my buddies hallway.

Shits getting deep in here.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm not a big fan of snakes either and we have a good amount of copperheads in NC. But I hardly ever see them on the trail and when I do they are very docile. They're not going to attack unless provoked or startled. I even ran over one once and it didn't do anything.

If you think about it, how many mountain bikers do you know who have been bitten by snakes? I've never heard of one myself.

Yet, you know a teacher who was bitten by a snake getting out of a car and the same thing happened to my friend's college (also a teacher). So ride bikes, but don't teach and drive

I've always been afraid of snakes, mostly because the ones we have down South are the aggressive, venomous, hard to see type (Copperheads, Eastern D-Backs and Cottonmouths) and several times I've almost stepped on/ridden over one not knowing it was there.
    Has anyone else had a similar issue that they've been able to overcome?
    I have somewhat. It would still freak me out to have a snake on me or be in the same room as one, but I try to put things in perspective and use proper risk assessment.

I would learn more about snakes. I don't think the ones we have in the South are aggressive. Also, seeing snakes in cages (like at zoos) helps me realize that they don't do much. Good luck!

the navigator
    Y'all have been super helpful (and funny!) and I appreciate it hopefully I can do a group ride or something for my next few sessions to try and keep my mind on the ride rather than the reptiles.

Cycologist
    I was trail running last summer and midair spotted a big snake on the side of the trail I was about to land beside. I did quite a dance upon landing. But it was just a big king snake and he didn't seem to be concerned with me. I took a few pictures and we both went on our way.

A harmeless 4' long Bull Snake last year. I thought he was dead until my brother got him moving, my sister spotted him first and was screaming "snake...snake" lol. A reunion ride with my siblings.

At 11:45

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/445765/

Overcoming fear of Snakes?-img_6688.jpg

mtbr member
    Fact: it's OK to have a fear of snakes. They have no arms or legs. And it's also ok if you love snakes, but if you do you're a weirdo.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Overcoming fear of Snakes?-e1ae5bd7d8484e806318a7bc6ed5cd1f06b8f759af0a264c9ccf19e276d181df.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e1ae5bd7d8484e806318a7bc6ed5cd1f06b8f759af0a264c9ccf19e276d181df.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	1132517
    Half way through page 2 for someone to post this?

The OC is slippin'.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
    Fact: it's OK to have a fear of snakes. They have no arms or legs. And it's also ok if you love snakes, but if you do you're a weirdo.

Fact: fish don't have arms or legs. Are you afraid of them?

Fact: I would be afraid of a fish that did had arms and legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Fact: fish don't have arms or legs. Are you afraid of them?

Fact: I would be afraid of a fish that did had arms and legs.
    I think fins are close enough to arms and legs.

Pretty sure they've found a fish with a human body before and yes, that is scary!

****** to the dirt
    Better not open that door.

My Blog

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbombay View Post
    Half way through page 2 for someone to post this?

The OC is slippin'.
    we are still on page one sir.
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    we are still on page one sir.
    Must be in snake years.

****** to the dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Must be in snake years.
    Overcoming fear of Snakes?-screenshot-8-.jpg

see only one page
    My Blog

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot (8).jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	1132644

see only one page
    One page and two legs.

****** to the dirt
    now there are two pages

Overcoming fear of Snakes?-screenshot-10-.jpg
    My Blog

mtbr member
    Rattle snakes are pretty common around our local trails.
    I've yet to see one this year but I've been warned 3-4 times in the last week "big rattle snake around the corner".

A friend of mine ran across a 4 footer a few days ago.

I seen this one last year.
    Overcoming fear of Snakes?-0806160905b.jpg

mtbr member
    Whatever you do seacobra, don't ever listen to any Divid Paulides interviews on the "Missing 4-11" or "Can-Am Project" or read any of his books. You're liable to never go into the woods again.

mtbr member
    I nearly ran into this snake back when I lived in Arizona. Fortunately, I was riding very fast downhill but I did hear a snapping sound - I think it bit at me and missed. You can see it perched up and in attack mode in the photo.

My personal opinion - its not really snakes that we cyclists need to worry about - but cars. Cars are far more likely to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    I nearly ran into this snake back when I lived in Arizona. Fortunately, I was riding very fast downhill but I did hear a snapping sound - I think it bit at me and missed. You can see it perched up and in attack mode in the photo.

My personal opinion - its not really snakes that we cyclists need to worry about - but cars. Cars are far more likely to kill you.

Serves you right for riding on his turf.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Serves you right for riding on his turf.
    Whoa there mister. I don't consider established trail to be snake turf. And, clearly, I was riding on an established trail. That snake drifted over into human territory and he could have had his head chopped off by my wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by BCTJ View Post
    Whoa there mister. I don't consider established trail to be snake turf. And, clearly, I was riding on an established trail. That snake drifted over into human territory and he could have had his head chopped off by my wheel.
    That was his trail before it became a humans. This is exactly how turf wars start. You're lucky he didn't gather up all his homies and put a cap in your ass.