mtbr member
    Nov 2009

The other group that litters

Recreational target shooters! I just read thru the smokers thread and litter sucks.This group needs to be taxed if they can not clean up after themselves!

Suckin wind like a boss
    ???

Honestly i think all trail users are lazy-assed litterbugs. I cant count how many times I have come back to the trailhead with my pockets or pack bulging with more crap than I left with. clif bar wrappers and empty store-bought water bottles are all over the place.

honestly, if you bring it in with you, why the hell cant you take it out? its empty now and weighs less. and if you are gonna cry that you dont want that empty Gu pack leaking all that syrupy crap all over your back through your expensive jersey, then bring a ziploc baggie with ya.

dont be a doüche, clean up after yourself.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

banned
    Sep 2007
    I get sick of racers, and those training for races all the time, and the amount of Gu, gummy bears, and shot bloc wrappers they leave behind on our trails. No love for trashy people.

since 4/10/2009
    so true...sucks pretty bad to come across a spot somewhere littered with shell casings. those are gonna linger longer than cigarette butts.

one source of trash that never ceases to irritate the p!$$ out of me is fishing trash. lines, hooks, lures, bait containers, and crap left behind by bank fishermen. I understand that there are just some times where you cannot retrieve a broken line from high in the tree where your lure snagged, but leaving wads of line and hooks on the shore with your empty bait containers is terribly disrespectful and dangerous. I am doing my best to migrate to barbless hooks to mitigate the damage from accidents (or at least trim the barbs off of the hooks I have), but it would be nice if there was a decently biodegradable fishing line for those times you snag and can't retrieve it.

but I agree on trail trash. I did some backpacking at Mammoth Cave NP a number of years back and filled every bit of extra space in my pack and my wife's pack with garbage. there are a few trails there that permit mtb, but I wasn't finding energy bars and gu wrappers. I was finding food and drink trash from people who most likely overnighted out there.

uh oh
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I get sick of racers, and those training for races all the time, and the amount of Gu, gummy bears, and shot bloc wrappers they leave behind on our trails. No love for trashy people.
    LOL for sure it’s the roadieboys. When we’re (MTBr’s) riding on the trails, naturally, we’re more aware of the spoilage that trash creates, and so we instinctively carry our trash out of there with us… at least, I hope we all do!
    Uh oh! Someone just stole your KOM!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Litter is the fulcrum point

Why? Care or not to care....about the planet,ride a mtn bike...love it!!! Nugjug Share the joy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    how could you say this on the day of 'mericas birth. never question somebody's constitutional right to shoot beer cans and paper plates.

i have never seen shooting near any of the local mtb trails, but my uncle goes to a range sometime and there is always tons of trash.

mtbers aren't above littering either though. after an xterra race a few months ago the whole trail was covered with empty gel and powerbar wrappers. even found water bottles and a dead tube lying on the side of the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

I did Opppsss

Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    how could you say this on the day of 'mericas birth. never question somebody's constitutional right to shoot beer cans and paper plates.

i have never seen shooting near any of the local mtb trails, but my uncle goes to a range sometime and there is always tons of trash.

mtbers aren't above littering either though. after an xterra race a few months ago the whole trail was covered with empty gel and powerbar wrappers. even found water bottles and a dead tube lying on the side of the trail.
    Nobody is perfect. Look what happened to the last guy...Nature Bats Last..

mtbr member
    The trails I ride have almost no litter on them. It is very rare. They happen to be "unsanctioned" trails built and used almost exclusively by mountain bikers.

High Desert MTBer
    There's a small mountain range behind my house where I ride all the time, the Tortolitas, and in Cochie Canyon up there, there is an overlook accessed by a very steep 4 x 4 track that people sometimes visit to BBQ. There is even a permanent BBQ setup that has been left at the top. I believe that a local Jeep Tour Company takes its people up there occasionally.
    There is always a heap of trash there, beer cans, wrappers, a lot of crap in general, and shell cases everywhere. Last time I was up there, I took these pictures of the target practice results. I did not take pictures of the trash these morons left behind, but you can imagine...

When I posted these in another forum, someone tried to tell me this was animal, bird or disease damage. Nope, it is not. You can see the bullets in the trunks in places, some of the holes pass right thru the trunks as you can see in the first photo, and the only disease these Saguaro are suffering from is lead poisoning. The people that do this should be tied naked to the cactus for a day or so, only the cactus might object...
    It's all Here. Now.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    Interesting. I could be wrong, but non-racers have stomachs and eat too correct? You all packing meat loaf sandwiches in biodegradable wrappers or something we should be made aware of?

If anything, it's the less experienced folks who fall for gimmicky food sources imo whether "racers" or not.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    LOL for sure it’s the roadieboys. When we’re (MTBr’s) riding on the trails, naturally, we’re more aware of the spoilage that trash creates, and so we instinctively carry our trash out of there with us… at least, I hope we all do!
    Roadies are typically so type A that littering is on par with murder.

Littering on the trails or roads is a big no no among racers. True, that after a race, you may find some GU wrappers accidentally dropped on the trail because some race dude or dudette was so maxed out that they could barely see straight and missed their jersey pocket when attempting to place said wrapper back in pocket sorta thing..

Typically/not always the wrappers will be picked up by do-gooders that day or following day.

Perhaps people are just way different in your parts, but I doubt it.

Having said this, there are idjuts that are both weekend warriors and fast flying spandex wearing freaks..
    Last edited by rydbyk; 07-05-2012 at 10:54 AM.

mtbr member
    I'd agree, target shooters do make quite a mess. But at least it is typically reserved to certain areas where they shoot a lot, as opposed to being strewn out across a large area (that is the case here, at least).

Agree that littering drives me crazy. Fortunately, I don't see too much trash on our mountain biking trails around here.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

since 4/10/2009
    aren't saguaros protected? or am I only thinking of the ones in Saguaro Nat'l Park?

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    aren't saguaros protected? or am I only thinking of the ones in Saguaro Nat'l Park?
    They are very much protected, but this is off the beaten path. The city are aware of this, but they have not been able to catch the people doing it.
    It's all Here. Now.

Life Is Short
    Are the shell casings made of steel? Would a giant magnet be able to pick them up so we can recycle them, meaning send the scrap metal back to china so they can make more junk we can buy back
    or is the metal useless after they are fired?

I see a good business recycling the casings. Also not a believer in using a Saguaro as target practice.
    Its a sacred plant! Geax even named a mtn bike tire after it!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Are the shell casings made of steel?
    Mainly brass, sometimes plated. There's some cheaper pistol rounds that use aluminum.

Lots of shooters go out of their way to pick up their empty brass cases for reloading, or will even buy empty cases that are in good condition. The metal is perfectly recycleable without shipping it to the other side of the Earth.

From what I can see from the photos, it looks like a pretty questionable place foor shooting. I want a stop pretty close behind the target, to keep stray bullets from going where they will. A hillside will do nicely.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post

From what I can see from the photos, it looks like a pretty questionable place foor shooting. I want a stop pretty close behind the target, to keep stray bullets from going where they will. A hillside will do nicely.
    On one side of where these were taken there is a trail running along the hillside, little-used, but there. On the other side out over the valley are many jeep roads and a couple of homes. Questionable is one way to describe it, insane is how I would describe it.
    It's all Here. Now.

Members who have read this thread: 0