Axe
    Custom User Title

Ordered a skateboard.

..Not for myself, I did not ride one in 25 years or so..

My ~4y son asked for one, with proper order details - orange grip tape, red wheels.

Gear junkie in me could not resist, so spent late night looking for reviews on forums and ordered all the parts that is probably twice as expensive as a good one. Yeah, including $40 for 6-ball Swiss bearings.

Now I need to show him the UPS tracking page for the next week. And hide the receipt from my wife.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Geez, what dreams may have come true if web shopping was around when I was sporting Vision Street Wear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My first real skateboard cost me over $200 lol. I bought it at a LBS oddly enough.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

meow meow
    good skateboards can be surprising expensive. back when i was really into it i would just buy blanks and save some money.

mtbr member
    +1 on blanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i used to skate a lot, and never spent more than like 80 bucks for a complete. gotta shop the sales, and for decks i would just buy the css ones. most of my decks were like 40 or under and were pretty nice

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pecsokak View Post
    i used to skate a lot, and never spent more than like 80 bucks for a complete. gotta shop the sales, and for decks i would just buy the css ones. most of my decks were like 40 or under and were pretty nice
    I wanted a smaller and lighter deck - got 6.75"x26.5, listed as 6-ply deck. Also got magnesium trucks, not that much more expensive, but presumably lighter. And I wanted softer wheel, but still not too large, to keep it low - found only one kind in 78a and 54mm size (and red ).

And most important - he took part in selecting and approving all parts, and he will help me assemble it. My daughter helped me to assemble her bikes - she enjoys them quite a bit more because of that.

If he actually gets into that years later - heck yeah he will get cheapest blanks to trash.

At least I have resisted an urge to get titanium m5x25 bolts to mount trucks. To save 16g.

meow meow
    78a is pretty soft for a skate wheel, why so soft? for grip?

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    78a is pretty soft for a skate wheel, why so soft? for grip?
    For a not yet 4 year old kid, yes. Comfort and grip. At his weight it will roll pretty fast anyway.

Ceramic Bones Swiss bearings. If money was not an objection. People who use them say they are too fast.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Ceramic Bones Swiss bearings. If money was not an objection. People who use them say they are too fast.
    The main problem is that now I spent todays product meeting researching longboard trucks. Always wanted one. But I really should not get any more toys - at least with kids I have an excuse of teaching them healthy activities..

Now, for the longboard... Maybe I do not need a new wheelset after all..

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post

My ~4y son asked for one, with proper order details - orange grip tape, red wheels.

Gear junkie in me could not resist, so spent late night looking for reviews on forums and ordered all the parts that is probably twice as expensive as a good one. Yeah, including $40 for 6-ball Swiss bearings.

Now I need to show him the UPS tracking page for the next week. And hide the receipt from my wife.
    Orange grip-tape is where you dropped the ball

Black
    only Black
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Orange grip-tape is where you dropped the ball

Black
    only Black
    His sister tried to explain that to him.

~Disc~Golf~
    sis is smart

Sister is smart. Only black. Those ceramic Bones are $85USD. Too rich for my blood, Zero Black Widows are my jam though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ive never had any luck with colored grip tape. It always peeled or didnt grip worth half a crap. I always used Pig brand black grip tape and had good luck with it.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Shorty's Black Magic all day. Some people complain that it's too grippy and lightly sand it with scrap before riding it. I think those folks are weird.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll View Post
    Black
    only Black

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Shorty's Black Magic all day. Some people complain that it's too grippy and lightly sand it with scrap before riding it. I think those folks are weird.
    I was never aware there was such a thing as to grippy when it comes to grip tape. Maybe I was one of the ones that just liked alot of grip. I used Shorty's a couple of time and generally bought etnies shoes with the rubber gum sole instead of the neoprene.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Carbon & Ti rule

Well you have made a young boy very happy, Also spend big on a Helmet
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Well you have made a young boy very happy, Also spend big on a Helmet
    He already has some helmets. Uvex, Giro, Cratoni with a chin-guard. Dude loves his Mini kick scooter and his bike.

I am more concerned about wrist guards/gloves - nothing I saw is any good or fits.

meow meow
    im a mob guy myself. if its good enough for mike mo its good enough for me.

mtbr member
    Never spend more than 10 bucks on bearings myself.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by ibadfish View Post
    Never spend more than 10 bucks on bearings myself.
    Pro-Tip for bearings...

Go to a place that sells rollerblades/parts and buy a set for them. You get twice as much for a little ove the cost for a set of comparable 'skateboard' bearings.
    Also, it seems easier to find higher ABEC #s

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    At least he didn't ask for the grip I have on one of my decks!

I also highly recommend the sector9 luke nosewalker long board if you can still find one! It's a super chill cruiser, you wont be doing slides on it but it's a great neighborhood/beach board!
    Who cares if your helmet matches your bike? And for the love of god, please use the search feature!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    At least he didn't ask for the grip I have on one of my decks!
    My daughter initially picked up marihuana themed design for her board (which we bought as a complete in a local store on a whim - which caused my son to request one as well). She thought that is a palm tree and stuff. Had to explain the general idea of narcotics, which puzzled her a bit. Why would people want to think slower?

I thought that around here I will not risk her showing up in school with that. Some other parents may be idiots. We got a deck with sun and birds and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ARCHAIC View Post
    I also highly recommend the sector9 luke nosewalker long board if you can still find one! It's a super chill cruiser, you wont be doing slides on it but it's a great neighborhood/beach board!
    I was looking at Bustin Robot 36 with their themed Surf Rodz trucks and 75mm soft wheels. Just to chill around with kids.

I have no idea what I am doing, but assume that spending a bit more money will yield a bit better result - and I will not be as tempted to "upgrade". Have enough of this disease with my bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Look into cruiser boards as well, there are some sweet shapes and designs out right now. Can't go wrong with and old school Santa Cruz deck either!
    Who cares if your helmet matches your bike? And for the love of god, please use the search feature!

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    This thread has me missing my Psycho Stick and gullwings....crossbones wheels back in the day too.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Got bad, I guess. Or good. Signed up for silverfishlongboarding forum to poke around, tried out a few longboards that my friend had, and now mulling around ordering one (or two ) custom one from a guy who makes them with inlay wood designs. Awesome looking ones.

Oh, and I ordered a cheap skateboard for myself as well - blank bargain bin parts from Ebay. With black grip.

Yeah, total overkill for a guy who has not been on a board for 25 years - and when I did I had a mini. But I remember that being a whole lot of fun. And I do like all sort of wheeled toys - having a lot of fun recently following my kids on my new Super Grow-Ped kick scooter.
    Last edited by Axe; 05-04-2012 at 09:51 AM.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    We assembled the end result yesterday:

Termite 6.75x26.5 deck
    Tensor Mag-light magnesium trucks with hollow kingpin with Tensor Control soft bushings.
    1/10" soft risers.
    Sector 9 54mm 78a wheels
    Mini - logo bearings (saved better ones for myself)
    FKD orange grip tape. Yes, it looks like crap after a few minutes of riding.
    orange hardware.

Holy crap it rolls faster than I remember my little boards did. Oh, rather, holy crap, I am old.

Probably too early for the little dude anyway. But I could not leave him without one once his sister got one. He will grow into that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ordered a skateboard.-deck.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ive been contemplating another one myself, Im thinking about a longboard this time.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Ive been contemplating another one myself, Im thinking about a longboard this time.
    I am waiting on BC Moray boss flex, Surf-rodz IndeeSZ 177 (hope it fits not too low), with mini zombies 70mm 82a wheels.

Need to get some padded gloves and padded shorts. Something tells me I will fall. Repeatedly.

mtbr member
    Never waste your money on these....buy $15 bearings and you'll never know the difference as long as they have dust shields....a higher abec rating does not mean faster...only that it can handle faster speeds. honestly...if my bearing only has 5 points of friction vs. 11, why would the 11's be faster?

Got bad, I guess. Or good. Signed up for silverfishlongboarding forum to poke around, tried out a few longboards that my friend had, and now mulling around ordering one (or two ) custom one from a guy who makes them with inlay wood designs. Awesome looking ones.
    been on silverfish for many years as longboarding was always my primary hobby...lots of good info on there if you take the time to search. Who are you thinking of ordering from? TR? GSW? both those guys are skilled.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kyle_vk View Post
    been on silverfish for many years as longboarding was always my primary hobby...lots of good info on there if you take the time to search. Who are you thinking of ordering from? TR? GSW? both those guys are skilled.
    Yep, signed up to silverfish - as Axe. Searched. But difficult to say what I would like until I tried it. Ordered first board (BC Moray) from a local/web shop SamSkates.com. Pleasant communication and fast shipping.

If/when I order the next board - larger and stiffer, would be from TR. Need two anyway as my wife expressed an interest to ride around. Unfortunately, on nice paved trails near our house any forms of skateboarding are banned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know one of the owner's of BC. He's good people. One of the nicest people ive worked with. If I buy a longboard it'll most definately be a BC.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm sort of a veteran on silverfish, it's a great place to learn practically anything you need to know. it certainly has the usual trolls, but what do you expect?
    Longboards are seriously fun. I used to be majorly into downhill, technical slides and the like, before I discovered how much fun mountain biking was. Since then I've haven't looked back.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    And my new toy assembled.. I did not read the fine print and ordered wrong sized Riptide cone bushings, but put stock one from my kids trucks.

Obviously more board than I need, but I will try to learn a bit and grow into that.

BC Moray board in stiffer flex, IndeeSZ 177mm trucks with fixed 8mm axles, Riptide bushings - at least the road side barrels, Mini Zombies Dawg wheels, 70mm 82a, 6 ball bearings. No rail or wheel bite, but I did not push it.

Holy smokes this thing is fast... Rode around the block, it just glides. I do not remember my old, puny crappy little boards running like that back then. I will need to armor up before trying any moves on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ordered a skateboard.-moray.jpg  

Axe
    Custom User Title
    A year later... Just assembled a couple more boards - pumping setup, and pushing (which my wife said will take for herself to ride) - she rolled a couple miles on it yesterday chasing kids on their scooters.

Ordered a skateboard.-decks.jpg

G-bombs, with Surfrodz 139 tkp front, 125 randall rear, Flywheels 90mm 75a and Metro Motion 77mm 78a. Bigger one I laminated with UD carbon fiber for some extra stiffness. Ceramic VXB bearings with built-in spacer - as cheap as regular chinese bones. Did some miles on each, fun, especially pumping.

That is in addition to the Moray above (which is now my daughter's board, now with 159mm hangers and 76mm Zombies),
    BC barracuda, three Deckcrafters pool decks (wide with 90a NOSkoolz, on SR Grind TKP, medium custom - with Pi wheels and Grind TKPs, and Makeboarder with Indy 149 and rainskates), Soda Factory Zoolander, custom tibetan fabric, rey trucks, Soda's pool bacon, and some generic one... In short, I wanted to try everything. Spent bike upgrade moneys last year..
    Skating pool is fun. But progress is verry slow..

I'm just messing with you
    I was out for a neighborhood ride Friday and encountered a guy skateboarding to work. I guess it's easier than walking.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Members who have read this thread: 0