OOPS: Technology- Mtbr.com
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury

OOPS: Technology

Sorry officer for the technology glitch:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/tesla-auto...opstories.html

OOPS: Technology-15ab08bf-9215-466c-9d12-9c8451ce09f2.jpg
    OOPS: Technology-75d5387f-d0c0-4709-b62a-defa8ecd56ca.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I doubt if anyone will be surprised by this. No way a computer can think like a human.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    No way a computer can think like a human.
    It'll get there. It's already thinking like a drunk human.

I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    And two fatalities here.

Sad, but thousands of people die everyday in auto accidents. Driving can be dangerous.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That sounds like driver error to me...it's not a fully autonomous vehicle, he should have been paying attention and ready to intervene.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Sad, but thousands of people die everyday in auto accidents. Driving can be dangerous.
    With humans in control, yes. Now we get to be concerned about auto piloted cars

mtbr member
    With humans in control, yes. Now we get to be concerned about auto piloted cars

Time will tell but I'm guessing that in time autonomous cars will most likely prove to be statistically safer than the wandering minds of humans, in which case I'd be more concerned about human piloted cars than computer controlled ones.

For now I don't think there's enough data to make a determination so I'm neither for nor against them.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    That sounds like driver error to me...it's not a fully autonomous vehicle, he should have been paying attention and ready to intervene.
    Tesla, in designing this system, have wilfully ignored the fact that human beings are very poor at monitoring. They've used this as a loophole to introduce a flawed product. If the car crashes, it's not their fault for putting an incomplete system in control of it, it's the driver's fault for not picking up on the car's mistakes.

Cycologist
    Time will tell but I'm guessing that in time autonomous cars will most likely prove to be statistically safer than the wandering minds of humans, in which case I'd be more concerned about human piloted cars than computer controlled ones.

For now I don't think there's enough data to make a determination so I'm neither for nor against them.
    Yep, computers don't actually make mistakes, when it seems that they do, it's actually a programmers mistake. A computer can calculate and "make a decision" based on all the factors much, much quicker than a human.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

I agree, once they master it. In the meantime it would seem given the already many accidents caused by auto pilot we as human drivers are all lab mice wandering the streets.

Cycologist
    I agree, once they master it. In the meantime it would seem given the already many accidents caused by auto pilot we as human drivers are all lab mice wandering the streets.
    Not sure how they can solve the issue as we've seen with the Teslas, where the driver is supposed to stay attentive but they don't.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It's human nature to become complacent. And I don't think the autonomous driving is ready for full time yet. And I think Musk is irresponsible in presenting it as such. That said, my next vehicles will be EV for sure. I've spent some time driving Tesla's and they're quite amazing. The potential is limitless.
    I've always been a guy that drives sports cars and motorcycles but the reality is they can not make the lanes of traffic numerous enough for all the stupid drivers. There's just too many people hitting the brakes to look at their phones.
    There is also the issue of socialization. Going out no longer holds any appeal for me because I'm so scared of DWI's. And adding $60 for Ubers there and back and plus the waiting is a pretty big incentive to not go out as well. So I really and truly look forward to a day when a car can drive me out to a bar and I can drink as much as I want.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    I look forward to truly effective autonomous cars to cut down on the idiot drivers, too. I did 2 long road trips for the holidays and I'm just done.

I wish regional rail travel was more widely accepted and used in the US. I'd use it preferentially for these kinds of holiday trips visiting family and for work trips and whatnot. And for that matter, local rail service, too. I love not needing to drive to get around all the time and saving driving a personal car for more limited trips. The only time I've had access to that kind of thing has been when traveling.

But for now, autonomous cars are still definitely "in development" and I'm okay with the implementation of certain aspects of the technology that do work, so long as people use it the way they're supposed to. I think Tesla's autopilot is taking it a touch too far for that, because the idiots who don't pay attention are going to cause problems until the system is fully mature and removes them from the driving scenario completely.