Olympics.....parents- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Olympics.....parents

Watched a swimming event. Parents straining to even see their kid from the nose bleed seats. You'd think the IOC would treat parents a bit better than this. GIVE them good seats. Yikes, you're making billions of $$ off their kids and you can't treat the parents that have sacrificed for years better than this!! They sacrifice their life savings, their time, pay a ton of $$ just to get there and pay a ton for housing and food while they are there and you can't give them good seats to watch their kids?
    I'd bet most parents don't even go because they can't afford to get there so don't tell me it would cost a lot to give every parent seats.
    Just give them seats in the first place and give them good ones. Cheap ass bastards!!
    Last edited by bigbadwulff; 07-31-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    I was thinking the same thing. The Olympics are probably a net financial loss for 95% of the participants, anyway. Making the parents buy their own tickets to the arena, despite all they've already spent and contributed, seems wrong.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The only winners of the Olympics are the advertisers, broadcasters and the IOC.

mtbr member
    Well, I've worked with 5 Olympic medalists who managed to leverage the exposure and success gained from the Olympics into pretty good income-makers (although for a couple, they lived too large and it didn't last long).

But yeah, for the most part, the participants aren't the ones who come away with any profit, except, hopefully, a good experience.
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My apologies for not following the original train of thought, but why does Michael Phelps' mom wear that gawdy jewelry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    It'd be worth it to live in the Olympic village, some fun stories coming out of there

I didn't do it
    I wish NBC would stop showing the parents. When somebody kicks ass I'm more interested in seeing how they, their competitors and teammates react. In some cases their reactions are over the top. For example Aly Raismanís mother does her own little gymnastics routine in the stands when watching her daughter perform. IMO its a ridiculous display that at times seems just a little contrived. Anyhow, keep the focus on the athletes where it belongs.

Should they have better seats-sure why not. But space is limited in a lot of those venues so it seems that it would be impractical to accommodate all the parents.

Members who have read this thread: 0