Results 1 to 41 of 41
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396

    Olympic swimming..who cares? not me!

    why does NBC shove swimming down our throats? i for one would like to see more coverage on sports such as mountain biking, bmx, judo, wrestling, weight lifting, decathalon, etc...Even that bike track racing is waaay more interesting. There is great chance for heavy contact. its not all "stay in your lane" BS.
    i want to see some blood and guts spilled.
    who cares how fast these peeps swim and how many damn medals they got. of course they medal a lot because they have a lot of different types of races. they broke records for number of medals! well of friken course they did if they entered in 10 different events!
    screw the big network coverage. Where is Versus, Spike, or G4?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    I don't want to see mtb getting the coverage of swimming because I think the best things are kept underground or closed quarters. It's just like when the tour de france starts in the month of July you will see 10x the Freddie's on their high priced bikes wanting to hang with you but in reality all the do is get in the way and cause crashes

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    I don't want to see mtb getting the coverage of swimming because I think the best things are kept underground or closed quarters. It's just like when the tour de france starts in the month of July you will see 10x the Freddie's on their high priced bikes wanting to hang with you but in reality all the do is get in the way and cause crashes
    i am not saying they should ram it down our throats like they do swimming, but NBC could at least mix it up a bit on prime time...and i don't just mean mountain biking. the tour de france coverage compared to what i am asking for on NBC doesn't/wouldn't even come close so that is why i am not worried about the "Freddie's"

  4. #4
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    Probably because swimming is nearly an ideal TV sport. Fast action, races that only take a few seconds to minutes to complete, known people racing, and there are interesting camera angles that can be used. I'm a cycling tv fan, but face it, it has to but cut down, edited and a tremendous amount of filler has to be added to make it watchable to the masses and even fans. NBC is for the masses and have a business to run.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GiantMountainTroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    The media likes to shove bs down your throat. Lets keep the MTB on the low low, dont need anymore lycra wearing ******s on the trails.
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

    Giant Faith

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Probably because swimming is nearly an ideal TV sport. Fast action, races that only take a few seconds to minutes to complete, known people racing, and there are interesting camera angles that can be used. I'm a cycling tv fan, but face it, it has to but cut down, edited and a tremendous amount of filler has to be added to make it watchable to the masses and even fans. NBC is for the masses and have a business to run.
    ^^^ That. Easy and cheap for the networks to film. And just about every kid in the U.S. is in some type of club swimming activity. At least in my town, it is a very very popular sport. Easy for non-sporting population to understand and requires a short-attention span to watch. I don't think I've figured out judo yet, and I'm an Olympic tv junkie.

  7. #7
    Suckin wind like a boss
    Reputation: big terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,680
    i would be just as happy to see the "cool" olympic sports be live streamed like redbull.tv does with world cup mtb races. i dont even own a television anymore anyhow, so anything i watch on "tv" is either downloaded after the fact, or done at someone elses house.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by 3blackbikes View Post
    ^^^ That. Easy and cheap for the networks to film. And just about every kid in the U.S. is in some type of club swimming activity. At least in my town, it is a very very popular sport. Easy for non-sporting population to understand and requires a short-attention span to watch. I don't think I've figured out judo yet, and I'm an Olympic tv junkie.
    Yeah swimming is popular even where i live. heck even my son is swimming now, but not competatively. like my hero George Carlin used said..."swimming..not a sport. swimming is a way to keep from drowning". Kids are taking it because it is basic survival 101. I would say that more kids jump on a bike then swim and just race down the street on a daily basis.

    And that is a bold statement saying every kid is in some type of swimming activity. I live in Hawaii of all places and have kids and let me tell you NOT all kids are into some kind of swimming activity and those who are, are not racing length wise of a pool. they are surfing or free diving or paddleboarding.

    on a related note, try googling judo for the basics. Basiclly, the ultimate goal is to throw your opponent on his/her back but it needs to be a "quality" throw. Also you can pin someone for about 25 sec or sometimes i think get them in a arm or leg lock to make them tap. Judo gurus can you correct me if iam wrong.

  9. #9
    fading away
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,989
    I donít mind seeing Stephanie Rice wearing a swimsuit.
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Probably because swimming is nearly an ideal TV sport. Fast action, races that only take a few seconds to minutes to complete, known people racing, and there are interesting camera angles that can be used. I'm a cycling tv fan, but face it, it has to but cut down, edited and a tremendous amount of filler has to be added to make it watchable to the masses and even fans. NBC is for the masses and have a business to run.
    BMX doesn't need filler. Track racing doesn't need filler. Not sure why track racing aint popular like speed skating. Same sport just one is done on bikes and other on skates.

    Not sure how you figure swimming is an "ideal" TV sport. The USA's three biggest sports football, basketball and baseball are NOTHING like swimming nor are they like any other sports i mentioned (judo, weightlifting, wrestling, bmx) but i don't see how NBC can't cover these sports more. It seems like gymnastics & swimming 60%, track & field 30%, ALL OTHER SPORTS 10%. So why do we only see swimming on TV every 4 years?

    Known swim people? umm name 3 swimmers in the olypics right now. Since the trials are being rammed down our throat you may know some but of course you would since NBC is ramming it down our throat. See the cycle? NBC is not "for" the masses. It dictates the masses

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    Maybe the ram swimming down our throat in a marketing scheme because SPEEDO sales are on the decline. This is how trek pulled out of their slump by dumping a **** ton of money into that lance Armstrong guy and at one point bike sales skyrocketed lol

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    Track racing on the velodrome rocks and was the first sport Americans fell in love with and become obsessed with. I don't get why it is not more popular in the states after all it's pretty much identical to NASCAR

  13. #13
    Clyde on a mission!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopold Porkstacker View Post
    I donít mind seeing Stephanie Rice wearing a swimsuit.
    +1 on that, I really can't see the big problem in watching super fit babes wearing tight swimsuits.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,561
    I would also like to see more and different events from the
    Olympics, most of all boxing. However while I was watching
    the news the other day they had done a survey on the Olympic
    events. Swimming, gymnastics, and track & field were by far
    the most popular and watched events at the Olympics.

  15. #15
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    pretty much anyone can swim. popular sports are accessible sports.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrenseren View Post
    +1 on that, I really can't see the big problem in watching super fit babes wearing tight swimsuits.
    They have HUGE shoulders, thats the "big" problem
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    pretty much anyone can swim. popular sports are accessible sports.
    Well then why isn't running shoved down our throat I mean running is more accessible then swimming and people of all races can do it unless your crippled

  18. #18
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    Well then why isn't running shoved down our throat I mean running is more accessible then swimming and people of all races can do it unless your crippled



    Uhmm, how about all the Track and Field coverage?

  19. #19
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post
    BMX doesn't need filler. Track racing doesn't need filler. Not sure why track racing aint popular like speed skating. Same sport just one is done on bikes and other on skates.

    Not sure how you figure swimming is an "ideal" TV sport. The USA's three biggest sports football, basketball and baseball are NOTHING like swimming nor are they like any other sports i mentioned (judo, weightlifting, wrestling, bmx) but i don't see how NBC can't cover these sports more. It seems like gymnastics & swimming 60%, track & field 30%, ALL OTHER SPORTS 10%. So why do we only see swimming on TV every 4 years?

    Known swim people? umm name 3 swimmers in the olypics right now. Since the trials are being rammed down our throat you may know some but of course you would since NBC is ramming it down our throat. See the cycle? NBC is not "for" the masses. It dictates the masses
    It's fine that we disagree. The good news for you is that you can see everything online:
    Live Olympic Video - Full Schedule | NBC Olympics

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IDkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    104
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    It's fine that we disagree. The good news for you is that you can see everything online:
    Live Olympic Video - Full Schedule | NBC Olympics

    Bookmarked. Thanks!

  21. #21
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    899
    I like it. I'm a swimmer so I can appreciate it. Once every four years isn't so bad. I just love the Olympics in General, summer or winter. It's the sports fan in me

  22. #22
    Ride More, Work Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,774
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    Well then why isn't running shoved down our throat I mean running is more accessible then swimming and people of all races can do it unless your crippled
    I gave you the benefit of doubt when you battled your way uphill in the other thread, but this (and possibly the original racist version that was edited or deleted) is a bit much. It is hard to tell if you are trolling, so time will tell.

    By the way, call this man crippled and you might find some carbon fiber shards some place the sun doesn't shine.

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qumRdlcOhWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  23. #23
    fading away
    Reputation: Leopold Porkstacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,989
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    They have HUGE shoulders, thats the "big" problem
    I dunno, maybe itís just me, but thereís something about a women who can bodycheck you back every time youíre beating on her. LOL!
    goodbye cruel world. I am leaving you today.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    937
    NBC coverage of any Olympic sport sucks. End of story. I'm a lifelong gymnastics fan, former competitive gymnast, and I cannot stand NBC's coverage... one routine, commercial. One routine, commercial. The untrue drama and hype. Only the Americans and Chinese. Only one or two of the Americans at that. So I get frustrated and try to find better coverage (usually foreign) just to find out NBC has all the stuff blocked to Americans.

    Swimming draws people in because they can create drama out of it, and it's one of the rare sports that you can repeatedly medal in at the same games.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I gave you the benefit of doubt when you battled your way uphill in the other thread, but this (and possibly the original racist version that was edited or deleted) is a bit much. It is hard to tell if you are trolling, so time will tell.

    By the way, call this man crippled and you might find some carbon fiber shards some place the sun doesn't shine.

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qumRdlcOhWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Well on this particular post about swimming yeah it was a straight up troll I just couldn't resist but yeah got no beef with cripples got passed up by one badass mofo riding SS and then I realized he had a pseudo leg I will say that dude was one bad mofo
    Last edited by vapezilla; 07-03-2012 at 10:43 AM.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    I just don't understand why they have to have all the commercials

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    I would also like to see more and different events from the
    Olympics, most of all boxing. However while I was watching
    the news the other day they had done a survey on the Olympic
    events. Swimming, gymnastics, and track & field were by far
    the most popular and watched events at the Olympics.
    Of course it is the most popular and watched! Hello??? That is the only stuff that is shown on prime time! Therefore most popular and watched. This is what ive been saying NBC is dictating what we watch

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I gave you the benefit of doubt when you battled your way uphill in the other thread, but this (and possibly the original racist version that was edited or deleted) is a bit much. It is hard to tell if you are trolling, so time will tell.

    By the way, call this man crippled and you might find some carbon fiber shards some place the sun doesn't shine.

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qumRdlcOhWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    YO dude chill the hell out! i don't think that input was racist in any way. just because the guy used the word "races"? The guy is just trying to make a point that all people of any race can swim. like carlin said: swimming is a way to keep from drowning.

    oh oh..i used the word "hell" so i guess i am satan worshiper now

    Get the F outta hea!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post
    why does NBC shove swimming down our throats? i for one would like to see more coverage on sports such as mountain biking, bmx, judo, wrestling, weight lifting, decathalon, etc...Even that bike track racing is waaay more interesting. There is great chance for heavy contact. its not all "stay in your lane" BS.
    i want to see some blood and guts spilled.
    who cares how fast these peeps swim and how many damn medals they got. of course they medal a lot because they have a lot of different types of races. they broke records for number of medals! well of friken course they did if they entered in 10 different events!
    screw the big network coverage. Where is Versus, Spike, or G4?
    The network is there to earn money. These people have money invested into certain athlete that cater to their particular product. They don't care about you or what you want to watch. They care about selling you crap.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    896
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Probably because swimming is nearly an ideal TV sport. Fast action, races that only take a few seconds to minutes to complete, known people racing, and there are interesting camera angles that can be used. I'm a cycling tv fan, but face it, it has to but cut down, edited and a tremendous amount of filler has to be added to make it watchable to the masses and even fans. NBC is for the masses and have a business to run.
    Yeah, why are bike races so damn long? Why not have 20 or 30 mile races?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Swimming draws people in because they can create drama out of it, and it's one of the rare sports that you can repeatedly medal in at the same games.
    so you think swimming is the only sport or a sport that drama can be created from it?
    here is a secret.....
    ALL sports have drama, good and bad, entertaining and boring
    ALL life has drama
    most everything has drama. maybe that cactus sitting out in the desert may not have drama
    so phelps had a learning disability. whopee!

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    18
    Swimming?! Probably gets so much coverage coz your man who likes a toke is the super being in the water, and he's white.

  33. #33
    May The Force Be With You
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,301
    "Olympic swimming..who cares? not me!" , awww.. you care! or you wouldn't have made a post about it


    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

  34. #34
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    Well then why isn't running shoved down our throat I mean running is more accessible then swimming and people of all races can do it unless your crippled
    track and field is like the second most televised event... have you ever even watched the olympics?

  35. #35
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,393
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post
    why does NBC shove swimming down our throats? i for one would like to see more coverage on sports such as mountain biking, bmx, judo, wrestling, weight lifting, decathalon, etc...Even that bike track racing is waaay more interesting. There is great chance for heavy contact. its not all "stay in your lane" BS.
    i want to see some blood and guts spilled.
    who cares how fast these peeps swim and how many damn medals they got. of course they medal a lot because they have a lot of different types of races. they broke records for number of medals! well of friken course they did if they entered in 10 different events!
    screw the big network coverage. Where is Versus, Spike, or G4?
    Ummm.......didn't Versus become NBC Sports?
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

    Ebikes are not bicycles

  36. #36
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Ummm.......didn't Versus become NBC Sports?


    Yes, some time ago.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by gsy971 View Post
    so you think swimming is the only sport or a sport that drama can be created from it?
    here is a secret.....
    ALL sports have drama, good and bad, entertaining and boring
    ALL life has drama
    most everything has drama. maybe that cactus sitting out in the desert may not have drama
    so phelps had a learning disability. whopee!
    Maybe you didn't read the first part of my post where I complained about their created drama for gymnastics, too... I never said it was the ONLY sport. But it's probably one of the easiest to create it from... most Olympic sports people do not have a chance to win 7 gold medals in, so there, instant drama for NBC and all media. Throw someone in with a learning disability that can win 7 golds and OMG... goldmine!!!

  38. #38
    May The Force Be With You
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,301
    to answer the question on why swimming, gymnastics, track & field and a few other select events have high coverage, (my guess more in the USA?) is because of the high number of top 3 medals that are given out to hometown American boys & girls on top of not being able to cover every single event. it's always comes down to $$$$... high metal events = ratings .. no one cares about beating a shuttle cock


    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

  39. #39
    AZ
    AZ is offline
    banned
    Reputation: AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,198
    Advertising dollars dictate most coverage. Whatever events draw the most viewers draw the most advertising.

  40. #40
    May The Force Be With You
    Reputation: shwinn8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,301
    ^^ indeed


    '11 Jedi
    '01 Rocket 88 Stage3
    2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vapezilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    230
    What the last 3 posts said

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.